HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

helmet hurts

Old
08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
helmet hurts

hi whenever i give a hit or take a hit, my helmet moves a little and my chin guard ends up hitting me in the chin hard and i get bruises and cuts and crap from it. do i need a new chin strap or helmet or something? please help. thanks

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Happy Pony

your helmet is too big, tighten it so that it fits snugly on your head without discomfort, you don't want to helmet to be moving around during play.

try putting the helmet on and shaking your head, if the helmet moves, it's too loose.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

What Mike said. Tighten the strap.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:49 AM
BrianNYR

especially your cage. Your cage should be against your chin, and against the L clips that bolt up to the sides. Your cage should not move if its hit. tons of concussions and stitches from this kind of stuff.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:22 AM
nullterm

Does your helmet wiggle around (without the cage)? Helmet too big.

Tighten the cage straps so the cage doesn't move when the straps are attached to the helmet. The cage should be snug & tight in the J clips.

If your chin doesn't rest against the cage's chin piece when the cage is tightly strapped together then your cage is too big. If there's any space between your chin and the foam piece, then that gives the helmet & cage room to accelerate and smack you.

You shouldn't be able to move your helmet or cage around at all when it's all strapped up on your head.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
especially your cage. Your cage should be against your chin, and against the L clips that bolt up to the sides. Your cage should not move if its hit. tons of concussions and stitches from this kind of stuff.
Yeah... you should barely be able to move your jaw.... just enough to yell at the referees

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
hi whenever i give a hit or take a hit, my helmet moves a little and my chin guard ends up hitting me in the chin hard and i get bruises and cuts and crap from it. do i need a new chin strap or helmet or something? please help. thanks
Well, your head will have a tendency to swell just a little bit after you have been playing for about the first 20 minutes. So it's best to take a screw driver on the bench or have the manager or assistant coach adjust the helmet after the first 20 minutes. This will help with the fit, which should help with the strap.

If you adjust the helmet before the 20 mins., the helmet can cause some discomfort.

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I'm curious whether the cage has to rest right up against the J-clip. I have a cage in a size large that I could crank up real tight against my chin and it still wouldn't reach the J-clip.

Old
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Yeah, you want it tight (no sexual innuendo intended) I had mine loose for a game, got hit pretty hard, actually, so hard the cushion for the chin slammed hard against my chin and metal inside it busted open my chin and I needed 5 stitches to close it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:20 PM
MikeD

One of my sons hockey friends had to change up to the shock doctor chin cup. Contant compression cuts were taking him out of the game. Compression cuts are the norm for hockey players. Hits push the foams into the skin and then form to the boney structure underneath. The skin is pulled so tight it rips. Compressions cuts have ragged edges rather than clean.

With a bloody jersey he can not play....Once the chin was tore up, it would keep splitting. Just tightening the strap now with out healing the chin might increase the severity of compression cuts.

Solved the chin problem but not the root pproblem of how he was delivering his check or taking one....lol If you look at the gel insoles sold in stored, you can cut the heel pad out and use in your chin cup. because the gel stretches, it doesnt pull the skin.

Last edited by MikeD: 08-14-2008 at 06:25 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:47 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah, you want it tight (no sexual innuendo intended) I had mine loose for a game, got hit pretty hard, actually, so hard the cushion for the chin slammed hard against my chin and metal inside it busted open my chin and I needed 5 stitches to close it.
No-no. The chin cup is already against my chin. But I guess I have a long face cause I can't bring the cage upto the J clips without removing my jaw.

Old
08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post

Mike D recommend a gel pad from some foot product. However, Maltesehockey.com makes a gel pad that is designed for a chin cup. Check it out.

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote