HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team USA Camp (U-20) Aug.5 to Aug.9

Old
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Team USA Camp (U-20) Aug.5 to Aug.9

We should probably keep this thread until the end of it and then move it to the prospect thread but here's a small update on the start of that tournament/camp for Finland, Sweden and 2 teams of USA.

While we all are wondering how McDo and Kristo will do, another Hab prospect shined on the scoresheet during this first day. Team Sweden beat USA White 3-2 in OT and our own Nicolas Torp with 2 goals, 2 slappers, 2nd one was the winning goal. In the other game, USA Blue won 4-1 against Finland.

Scoresheet is not there yet, though neither McDo or Kristo seemed to have scored. Don't know about assists or on their play.

I e-mailed somebody from USA Hockey this morning and she answered saying that both of our guys looked great camp in the scrimmages. Now let's see how they do in that tournament.

Pretty good team the Americans will be having....

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=235058

http://fans.nhl.com/groups/2008_USA_...valuation_Camp

http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...1_06&ID=232888

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Should be cool to see Subban, Torp and McDonagh all at the wjc's. Hope Kristo can grab a spot on say the 4th line. Glad to see that some hockey is back.

Torp's first goal was on a 5 on 3 PP and McDonagh played on the top pairing for USA.

Last edited by montreal: 08-06-2008 at 08:10 AM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
eagle1977

Don't forget Pateryn he might make the team.

eagle1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1977 View Post
He would likely need one heck of a camp as imo USA's strong point is their defense. USA holds only one camp for the wjc's, plus he didn't play for the USNDTP which may or may not effect his chances but surely doesn't help him.

Old
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
LilWinger11

Is this being held in Lake Placid still, or have they moved it? I used to always be in Lake Placid the same week as this camp, too bad I didn't realize I liked hockey until I had basically quit figure skating

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Is this being held in Lake Placid still, or have they moved it? I used to always be in Lake Placid the same week as this camp, too bad I didn't realize I liked hockey until I had basically quit figure skating
It is in Lake Placid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1977 View Post
I'm already pessimistic as far as Kristo's presence on the team, I don't see Pateryn there at all. That defensive squad is already impressive full with 89's born and some impressive 90's, Pateryn is definately on the outside looking in....Though surprises could always come but in that case I believe that if there are surprises it could come from Bogosian and maybe Kessel.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old
08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
otto bond

I would like to see more of Kristo so I hope he make the team.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...1_06&ID=235208

Seems by that scoring summary that Torp only scored 1 and not 2 goals. Scored the OT goal though.

As far as our US boys were concerned, Kristo got a 2 minute-minor playing for the US Blue team while McDonagh's name doesn't appear on the scoresheet for US White. No idea for which team does Pateryn plays, his name is obviously not on the scoresheet either.

There are 18 d-men and 30 forwards at this camp. With 2 US teams that most likely have 12 forwards and 6 d-men each, either the other 6 forwards and 6 d-men were already cut, are just practicing without playing or are alternating which they most likely will. Tough to say on which team they'll end up though, they don't seem to carry the roster for every US team for every game. You just hope the players end up on the scoresheet somehow....

Next games are today.

UPDATE: Tedenby, a swedish player drafted by NJ this year received a puck in the face giving him 40 stitches near the mouth, lost most of his teeth, his tournament is over.

As far as the roster, and some questions answered as far as which guys aren't on the 2 teams playing this week....here's the answers....

Kristo played with Schroeder and Bowman. Seems that they dress 8 d-men per game. Though I don't see Pateryn's name anywhere, not on the Kristo team, not on the McDo one....

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Whitesnake,.....thanks a million for keeping us posted on this camp!!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Again, on yesterday's game, boxscorers are not up yet but the small infos I have on the games were that McDonagh seemed to have played great hockey on the PK and Kristo lost his job on the first 2 lines and plays now on the bottom lines. Still no talk whatsoever as far as Pateryn is concerned. Don't have the rosters yet for the games yesterday.

White's and Blue's won 7-1 against their respective opponent.

Will link the boxscores as soon as I see it.

Old
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
CH4

thanks for the updates whitesnake, it is good to have some hockey news not about you know who...

can't wait for all camps to begins...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

UPDATE:

Team White wins 7-1 against Finland
McDo; 1 penalty for roughing.

Team Blue wins 7-1 against Sweden
Kristo: 1 assist

Nothing for Torp and nothing for Pateryn (if he ever is there....)

Day off today, next games Friday and Saturday

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=235306

Old
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Cool Whitesnake, thanks for the updates!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not Habs related, but towards the end of that video.....the guy that takes the puck in his zone and beat one d-man and end up scoring is Jordan Schroeder, 2009 draft pick. Awesome player, seems that he's dominating so far in this tournament.

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/U20playertest.swf

Old
08-07-2008, 04:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not Habs related, but towards the end of that video.....the guy that takes the puck in his zone and beat one d-man and end up scoring is Jordan Schroeder, 2009 draft pick. Awesome player, seems that he's dominating so far in this tournament.

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/U20playertest.swf
Yea I got to think he's going to be a big part of Minnesota's success next year as they are going to be weak on defense most likely unless Ness really brings it and Fairchild steps up his defensive game and Fischer steps up his offensive game. Should be fun watching Schroeder and Ness as freshman next year, as I get almost every Minnesota game, and they just announced that comcast in the states will now carry the big ten network which just starting showing NCAA hockey last year. I think they will show games on the net but not 100% yet since the deal was just announced recently.

As for this camp, I heard there was some cuts already but none of our guys were cut.

Old
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
As for this camp, I heard there was some cuts already but none of our guys were cut.
I just created an account and ask the guy who's having a blog about Pateryn. 'Cause the blogger gave us the lines, the cuts, and I just don't see Pateryn's name. Just asked him where he's at and his take on Kristo and Torp. We'll see if he answers.

Old
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
gorrillaunit18

Hey Whitesnake, how is Hedman looking? #1 material?

gorrillaunit18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrillaunit18 View Post
Hey Whitesnake, how is Hedman looking? #1 material?
I don't see the games, just report what the USA Hockey bloggers are reporting. I know that the guy who wrote the report had a great phrase about a play Hedman made and looked incredible. But then both Finland and Sweden got crushed so I don't think Hedman had time to shine too much.

Old
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
znk

Thanks for the updates. It's always apreciated.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Here are the answers that Shawn Roarke, the blogger for the USA hockey site gave me following the questions I send him as far as his evaluation of Kristo, Pateryn and Torp.

"Whitesnake, don’t worry about the movement of Kristo from the top line to the lower lines. It is not a reflection on his play at all. The coaches just want to see how players play with other players to get a true gauge on their talents. So, they tend to try to get the wings play with different centers at times in the evaluation process to make more informed decisions. Kristo has been solid during the scrimmages I have seen, but he has not really stood out. As for making the World Junior team, there is a long road to hoe still. This is just one part of the process. But, I think it is safe to say that Kristo will have to be very good this year to crack what should be a load group at forward, especially on the right side.

As for your other questions, I don’t really know much about Pateryn’s status. I have not seen him at all, although that does not mean he is not here. He just hasn’t appeared in any games. Sweden’s Torp, meanwhile, has been impressive at times on the offensive side of the puck. He has, however, had trouble handling some of the bigger American forwards when they start cycling in the attacking zone. But, a lot of the Swedish defensemen have had similar issues this week. He will definitely need to work on his physical play to have a chance to play effective hockey in North America."

Old
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Here are the answers that Shawn Roarke, the blogger for the USA hockey site gave me following the questions I send him as far as his evaluation of Kristo, Pateryn and Torp.

"Whitesnake, donít worry about the movement of Kristo from the top line to the lower lines. It is not a reflection on his play at all. The coaches just want to see how players play with other players to get a true gauge on their talents. So, they tend to try to get the wings play with different centers at times in the evaluation process to make more informed decisions. Kristo has been solid during the scrimmages I have seen, but he has not really stood out. As for making the World Junior team, there is a long road to hoe still. This is just one part of the process. But, I think it is safe to say that Kristo will have to be very good this year to crack what should be a load group at forward, especially on the right side.

As for your other questions, I donít really know much about Paterynís status. I have not seen him at all, although that does not mean he is not here. He just hasnít appeared in any games. Swedenís Torp, meanwhile, has been impressive at times on the offensive side of the puck. He has, however, had trouble handling some of the bigger American forwards when they start cycling in the attacking zone. But, a lot of the Swedish defensemen have had similar issues this week. He will definitely need to work on his physical play to have a chance to play effective hockey in North America."

That is no bad news at alll...
Do you know if they are going to cut some players after this camp or they just wait in december and announce the team...

Old
08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
That is no bad news at alll...
Do you know if they are going to cut some players after this camp or they just wait in december and announce the team...
Don't know how it works. The blogger stated a couple of names that seemed to have been cut prior to the games against Finland and Sweden, our guys not being amongst them, even Pateryn wasn't in there, still he has no idea where he is....

As far as the news itself, well, though it's not dramatic, there's always next year, Kristo will have to dominate the USHL, in my opinion, to be on that team. The talent level for the US is really really great this year and while he's been relatively solid but quiet, it might be too quiet so far. Would need to step it up today and tomorrow. Kristo is amongst the youngest out there so it may not be that surprising. If I'm not mistaken, and maybe Montreal should correct me, on the right wing he'll have to beat guys like Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Palmieri, Nick Palmieri, Aaron Palushaj, Vinny Saponari, 09' sensation Jordan Schroeder and some other right wingers, then maybe some centermen who might not be able to play at their regular position but could be an alternative on the wing, and some LW that could play both wings ŗ la Hoeffel....I just don't see it in the stars....

McDonagh will obviously be part of that team and probably on the 1st pairing as well.

I liked what he had to say about Torp though the defensive side of his game was expected. What you'll read about Torp, you'll hear about Weber and Carle as well so that's not surprising.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old
08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
CH4

If he plays solid at 18 is good enough for me... He is a 2nd round pick so I did not expected him to make the team to begin with...

He is still eligible for next year right?

if so, that is when I expect/hope that he'll make it.

Old
08-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
If he plays solid at 18 is good enough for me... He is a 2nd round pick so I did not expected him to make the team to begin with...

He is still eligible for next year right?

if so, that is when I expect/hope that he'll make it.
Exactly. Already seems he's doing fine so he could use that to know what he has to do and be a solid contributor next year.

Still, it's far from over, he could crush the USHL and be really considered.....but I just doubt it....

Old
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Locks

Ryan McDonagh scored a pair, 1pp and sh, in a losing cause as US White lost to Sweden. Kristo got a pp asist in another losing cause for US Blue vs Finland. Last couple of games of the tournoment will be played this afternoon.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote