HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Hockeybuzz: 10 Panther Pre-Season Q's

Old
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Hockeybuzz: 10 Panther Pre-Season Q's

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16462

Here are some of the most interesting opinions, in my opinion!!!

6) Will Jay Bouwmeester be a Panther after the trade deadline?
A: No. It is highly unlikely the Panthers will be firmly in playoff contention at that point, and the organization will not be able to let him go for nothing next summer. Peter DeBoer has a lot of work to do to convince Jay Florida is the place to be. And most reports have said Jay will not stay a Panther under any circumstances...

9) Will Jacques Martin be able to keep his paws off DeBoer's job?
A: No. Panther fans are scared to death of this, and unfortunately it's probably inevitable. However, it's possible that a slight dose of this might not be too damaging. Once this hire was announced, red flags came up everywhere regarding this possibility. Hopefully even JM will know the best chance for this team is to stay out of the way.

10) Will the Panthers finally end their playoff drought?
A: Yes, barely. The Panthers are looking at a seven or eight seed. Tampa, while their defense is suspect, is much improved, and Carolina will continue to be a thorn in the Cats' side. The rise of the Capitals makes the division brutal. The best thing for the Panthers is the new schedule that takes two games against each division team away. This should help them keep pace and squeak in. And early exit is to be expected, but finally a big step will be taken to future success.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I personally think Dan Spiegal is worse than eklund soo...

I like how he bashes us for 9 questions and then reverses on the last one saying we will make 7-8 seed to only bash us again saying we will be an early exit

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:10 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
I personally think Dan Spiegal is worse than eklund soo...

I like how he bashes us for 9 questions and then reverses on the last one saying we will make 7-8 seed to only bash us again saying we will be an early exit
I didn't think he bashed us too badly. He was pretty much on the money about Horton and his upside and breaking up the Sunrise Express line (though he did bash the name of that line!)

It wasn't a brilliant piece of journalism consider most of the things had been said at some point but I think it was pretty accurate. I agree with his expectations that if we do make the playoffs it'll be as a 7 or 8 seed barring a miracle growth spurt wtihthe young guys.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I didn't think he bashed us too badly. He was pretty much on the money about Horton and his upside and breaking up the Sunrise Express line (though he did bash the name of that line!)

It wasn't a brilliant piece of journalism consider most of the things had been said at some point but I think it was pretty accurate. I agree with his expectations that if we do make the playoffs it'll be as a 7 or 8 seed barring a miracle growth spurt wtihthe young guys.
I agree with him too on a few things like the shot count for next year will be lower but i highly disagree with him bashing JM and his views on Bouwmeester. I also think that we will make it between 6-8 seed but it won't be because of a miracle. I think we have a playoff team.

Old
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Biggzy*

He seems pretty on the money to me. And the name of the Sunrise Express deserves to be trashed, it's straight up embarrassing. Though I don't see us making the playoffs, so I disagree on #10.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
He seems pretty on the money to me. And the name of the Sunrise Express deserves to be trashed, it's straight up embarrassing. Though I don't see us making the playoffs, so I disagree on #10.
Hey, you guys dont have to bash my name lol. At least I got three signed jerseys out of it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I'm not too big on Spiegel, but I agree that we are a 7th or 8th seed. I can't wait for training camp.....only 1 more month!

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
And the name of the Sunrise Express deserves to be trashed, it's straight up embarrassing.
That's a little harsh. It isn't that bad at all.

Didn't New Jersey call Elias/Gomez/Gionta the Egg line? That's way worse.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Hey, you guys dont have to bash my name lol. At least I got three signed jerseys out of it.
That's what I'm talking about!

-ghoste

Old
08-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
IMO, he was on the money with every question.

No doubt will I think JM still feel like he can run this team and will get involved with Peter. It happens all the time. And I don't really know anyone else who thinks Bouw is going to be on this team come the deadline.

Really on the money, but I think maybe he can be wrong with Horton and the playoff spot, but that's about it.

Last edited by Cats Gambler: 08-12-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Cats Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
3) Will Shawn Matthias and/or Michael Frolik make the team out of camp?
A: Yes. The time is now to let the youngsters loose. Jacques Martin's maddening, conservative approach to young players finally has come to a head. Matthias surely will make the team, but Frolik could be sent back down to season in the minors for one more year. All eyes will be on Matthias, as he and Bryan Allen are the only assets remaining from the Luongo debacle.
Martin's maddening conservative approach to young players? Who in the past has he been conservative about? When guys were going down with injuries, all we did was bring kids in as replacements (with the exception of Cully and Magnus). Does he mean when Martin didn't keep Matthias up last year?

It's one thing to have an opinion. But when you lay down in your own writing that you don't know what you're talking about, how does that help anything?

-ghoste

Old
08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
That's a little harsh. It isn't that bad at all.

Didn't New Jersey call Elias/Gomez/Gionta the Egg line? That's way worse.

-ghoste
I was going to suggest that was a joke about how fragile they were, but then I remembered that was actually the Elias-Arnott-Sykora line. Or whomever was with Elias and Sykora, I don't actually remember. They were great when together, but that almost never happened since one or more was always injured.

That should have been their EGG line

08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Hit Somebody

Don't see us making the playoffs. Will likely finish 10th in conference. Just don't have enough offense and enough veteran leadership at this point.
the Bouwmeester saga will become a huge distraction. He will be gone by the deadline, however we will all most likely be upset with the return on that trade.

Hit Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Somebody View Post
Don't see us making the playoffs. Will likely finish 10th in conference. Just don't have enough offense and enough veteran leadership at this point.
the Bouwmeester saga will become a huge distraction. He will be gone by the deadline, however we will all most likely be upset with the return on that trade.
Hmm..stillman has stanley cup rings, Vokoun is in his 11th NHL season, Boynton is over 30, JM has over 500 wins as a GM, Weiss is now entering his 7th NHL season and Horton is entering his 5th. We also have Top-3 D in the east and Bouwmeester and ballard together will probobly have 80-90 points (50 from bouw, 30-40 from Ballard). Stillman will probobly get 60-65 points and we have a new coach that features an extremely aggressive offense.....I think we will be between 6-8 seed.

Old
08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

This is the first year in the past few that I don't really have any real high expectations on where we'll end up. As it was said, I don't think the offense just isn't good enough to compete with the big teams in the East, and while our defense should be arguably one of the best in the league along with Vokoun in net, realistically I don't see us finishing higher than say 10th or 11th unless the Panthers become a team like the Bruins were last year as another article said. Either way, I'm just totally stoked for the season to start already. The offseason just goes on for way too long and while the Marlins are hanging in there to possibly make a run at the playoffs again, baseball in my mind doesn't come even close to the absolutely awesome intenseness of hockey

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
This is the first year in the past few that I don't really have any real high expectations on where we'll end up. As it was said, I don't think the offense just isn't good enough to compete with the big teams in the East, and while our defense should be arguably one of the best in the league along with Vokoun in net, realistically I don't see us finishing higher than say 10th or 11th unless the Panthers become a team like the Bruins were last year as another article said. Either way, I'm just totally stoked for the season to start already. The offseason just goes on for way too long and while the Marlins are hanging in there to possibly make a run at the playoffs again, baseball in my mind doesn't come even close to the absolutely awesome intenseness of hockey
You're right

Our Defense will be good...but not good enough to win every matchs 1-0 or 2-1

I feel a very frustrating season where we're going to lose a lot of close matchs (1-0, 2-1) because we're not going to score goals

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Hmm..stillman has stanley cup rings, Vokoun is in his 11th NHL season, Boynton is over 30, JM has over 500 wins as a GM, Weiss is now entering his 7th NHL season and Horton is entering his 5th. We also have Top-3 D in the east and Bouwmeester and ballard together will probobly have 80-90 points (50 from bouw, 30-40 from Ballard). Stillman will probobly get 60-65 points and we have a new coach that features an extremely aggressive offense.....I think we will be between 6-8 seed.
So ballard who has scored 21 and 27 points and hasing scored 30 (39) since his rookie year will be a lock for 30-40? Sorry, dont see that happening at all especially this group of "gifted" fwds..... Bouwmeester wont even be here the whole year so Id scrap that idea more likely than not. 60 is a good amount for stillman but who knows what he's going to bring at this stage of his career, (dave gagner anyone??) Horton needs to step up, weiss needs to step up, vokoun is awesome, JM is a moron (this I believe has been proven time and again here, you know with all his post season success here) and oh yeah DeBoerr... Nobody knows what the hell he is. He has no nhl experience as a coach or as a player so to magicially think he has this aggresive dynamic offense that will solve everything is foolish at best. He very well could be the nick saban of the nhl. And besides, even if he has a good offensive plan, who is going to execute it? Anthony Stewart and Ville Peltonen?

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Quote:
I don't see how any of those factor in how we make the playoffs other than Stillman getting 60-65...

Cats Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:39 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
So ballard who has scored 21 and 27 points and hasing scored 30 (39) since his rookie year will be a lock for 30-40? Sorry, dont see that happening at all especially this group of "gifted" fwds..... Bouwmeester wont even be here the whole year so Id scrap that idea more likely than not. 60 is a good amount for stillman but who knows what he's going to bring at this stage of his career, (dave gagner anyone??) Horton needs to step up, weiss needs to step up, vokoun is awesome, JM is a moron (this I believe has been proven time and again here, you know with all his post season success here) and oh yeah DeBoerr... Nobody knows what the hell he is. He has no nhl experience as a coach or as a player so to magicially think he has this aggresive dynamic offense that will solve everything is foolish at best. He very well could be the nick saban of the nhl. And besides, even if he has a good offensive plan, who is going to execute it? Anthony Stewart and Ville Peltonen?
I'm going to counter everything here:
Bouwmeester - Will be here, he has already said why he signed the one year deal.
Ballard: Ballard was second pairing and got most minutes avg in the league against other teams top lines (second was Lidstrom), and had a bad statistical year. He plays like a 40 point scorer and you will learn to love him, just give it time.
Horton and Weiss - I believe they are ready to make the transition, they have both been in the NHL for a while now.
DeBoer - Name a coach who had as much prestige as DeBoer did and busted. Also for the last couple years DeBoer's success came from his aggresive transitional game that allowed his team to get more time on attack. DeBoer should be the least of you're worries and just because he has no experience doesn't mean he is a bad coach, he has done EXTREMELY well with young players and has a good coaching staff to help him.

We have more than replaced Jokinen's point production and a new playing style that fits our players more should put us in a playoff position. If you think we will be a boring team you are way off.

Old
08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
39ontheline

Quote:
Bouwmeester - Will be here, he has already said why he signed the one year deal.
Ballard: Ballard was second pairing and got most minutes avg in the league against other teams top lines (second was Lidstrom), and had a bad statistical year. He plays like a 40 point scorer and you will learn to love him, just give it time.
Horton and Weiss - I believe they are ready to make the transition, they have both been in the NHL for a while now.
DeBoer - Name a coach who had as much prestige as DeBoer did and busted. Also for the last couple years DeBoer's success came from his aggresive transitional game that allowed his team to get more time on attack. DeBoer should be the least of you're worries and just because he has no experience doesn't mean he is a bad coach, he has done EXTREMELY well with young players and has a good coaching staff to help him.

We have more than replaced Jokinen's point production and a new playing style that fits our players more should put us in a playoff position. If you think we will be a boring team you are way off.
I do love ballard, what does him having played against other teams top lines have to do with his scoring? He wont score 40 because I dunno, he NEVER has ever. Bouwmeester is gone. I dont care how touted DeBoer is, he hasnt done anything and until he has it's not a given he's a sure thing. I also believe weiss is maxed out as a player which is fine, while horton is a major underachiever.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:

I completely agree with everything you said and also wanted to add that teams are going to come with a "games already won" attitude against us which I really think will help us jump on teams that really didn't expect much from us. I also agree with Ballard becoming a fan favorite. I already think he is one of my favorite Panthers and thats just from watching youtube vids. He hasn't even played for us yet. I really think our team is better now then what we were last season. But being better on paper doesn't mean squat if they don't go out and perform. The key peice for our season is Deboer. He must get everyone on the same page and going in the same direction from day one.

Last edited by Beezer: 08-13-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I do love ballard, what does him having played against other teams top lines have to do with his scoring? He wont score 40 because I dunno, he NEVER has ever. Bouwmeester is gone. I dont care how touted DeBoer is, he hasnt done anything and until he has it's not a given he's a sure thing. I also believe weiss is maxed out as a player which is fine, while horton is a major underachiever.
I beleive Bouw & Ballard would share & ease eachothers workload playing against top lines. That IMO would in turn help up both player's offensive production from last season.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
hoax15

Quote:
I was just listing things so his min vs other teams top lines had nothing to do with scoring, i was just telling you that he will be a strong point on this team. Weiss had a horrible statistical year but do you remember those games without him? We got *****. I also think its possible that Weiss is maxed out but I'm willing to give him another year on a new system and more ice time to see if it helps him continue. Horton WILL do better, I'd bet money on it. Also there is not a single article beyond eklund-type writers that says Bouwmeester will stay or be gone so no point in really arguing about it. DeBoer is going to do the same thing he did in Kitchener...its not like he is going to do some things that will bust him. I've honestly never seen a coach as good as DeBoer in the minors do bad in the NHL.

Old
08-13-2008, 09:51 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Cash money Quit the hate guys! They better stay together for the majority of the season.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote