HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Adios Skoula! Avs Acquire Sauer and 4th round pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2004, 12:45 PM
  #26
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I am happy to see this deal. It will now silence the Av fans who were trying to pitch Skoula as a viable asset for actual NHL caliber players and puts an end to thier constantly pitching him for everyone and thier brother. No longer will the "Skoula and a 5th for Comrie type threads happen any more. He proved, in the end, to be worth no more than a fringe NHL talent defencemen which, is what he is worth his self.
mighty fine English there, "pardner". and no one, to my knowledge, ever proposed Skoula and a 5th for Comrie.

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 12:52 PM
  #27
DarioinDenver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Skoula has more playoff experience at his age than likely any other defenseman in the last five to ten years, hell maybe ever. He's played with some of the greatest defensemen the NHL has had to offer in the last five years. Skoula has been groomed and coached by both a hard nosed, screaming Hartley and the player friendly stylings of Granato. Skoula has played in front of one of the greatest defesive taskmasters in the net with Roy. A goalie who constantly tweaked and directed the defensemen in front of him.

The most dangerous skill ever labled to a Martin Skoula is his "potential". Sauer has more "potential" to improve his game than Skoula. Maybe someone in the Ducks organization will convice the kid to give up smoking Yes, that's right gents. You name the incentive / punishment, it never worked to stop it.

Skoula is a good kid with offensive creativeness but no defensive awareness. Ducks should try converting him to a forward, that's the only potential I can ever imagine Skoula having.

DarioinDenver is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:01 PM
  #28
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakic20
The Avs should have to get Brian Leetch or Sergei Gonchar and these 2 ******* like Boughner and Sauer are 2 big zero don't be able to shoot,the control the puck and nothing more than crap like Lacroix himself.

Pierre Lacroix will regret this 2 moves to destroy the depth for the defense.With Blake and Foote out,the Avs should acquire Gonchar because if not they will be over in the playoff in 1st round once again for the 2nd season in a row and this piece of **** will die very fastly.

i needed a little pick me up this morning, thanks. i had too much to drink last night and thought i would die very fastly this mornin.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:04 PM
  #29
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
What's Skoula's contract status? How long is he signed for?

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:05 PM
  #30
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
mighty fine English there, "pardner". and no one, to my knowledge, ever proposed Skoula and a 5th for Comrie.

It is true mate, I am from another land and have a different way of speaking and it does effect the way I type. So sad to see another grammar nazi who is so upset by some halfassed comments by some random internet hockey fan that they have to resort to that petty sort of thing to lash out. Yehaaw! (sp?)

Oh, and of course, I were obviously having a piss on the deal there mate so please, go out and purchase a sense of humour. It may not be even close to funny, but, it were obviously meant as having a piss.

Ta da mate.

punchy1 is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
  #31
musdy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
good deal for both teams

musdy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:09 PM
  #32
incawg
Registered User
 
incawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,009
vCash: 500
addition by subtraction for the avs..

incawg is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:15 PM
  #33
bandwagon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
wouldnt it have bee easier for the avs just to keep him in the first place?
Very good point, but perhaps the Avs didn't think that Sauer was going to be a player.

In any case, a good deal for both teams. The Avs get a gritty young defenseman who plays physical and got some experience playing for the Ducks in their march to the Finals last year, while the Ducks get Skoula, a talented defenseman who is a bit like Ozolinsh. The pick just evens things out.

Quite something all these trades. I guess it means one of two things - it's a sign that the trade deadline will be one of the busiest ever or else all the teams will be done dealing by the trade deadline.

Pretty much a fairly significant trade a day now. Finally the completed transactions board will get some use!

bandwagon is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:17 PM
  #34
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: This Is Fail County
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 11,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Skoula was less than worthless in Colorado, getting him out, was a must.
That was my feeling after seeing Skoula the other night. No way can you have that guy on the ice in a playoff game. I mean, the Avalanche are about winning, and Skoula certainly isn't about winning at this point in time.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:21 PM
  #35
Foppa
Registered User
 
Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Makes sense for both clubs.

Skoula was hurting the Avs by being on the ice and lets face it, their depth after him is just as horrid. McAllister? Clark? D.J. Smith? Sauer has struggled this year but should fit in fine as the #6/#7 defenseman in Colorado. (Lacroix letting him go for nothing still bothers me).

Meanwhile, the Ducks aren't going anywhere this year and they can afford to take a risk on Marty and see if they can knock some sense into him. I *hate* to use this word, but he's still not old and he still has some potential that perhaps can be unlocked with a change of scenery.

Foppa is online now  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:26 PM
  #36
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,942
vCash: 500
I like punchy's accent when he posts. Its fun to read, and he did have a great point. Some people held to the illusion that Skoula actually had lots of trade value, when in reality, he had hardly any.

Enoch is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:28 PM
  #37
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
the success of this trade from the avs perspective will be determined by the progress of both sauer and liles, who made skoula "expendable".

fcbarcelona is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:35 PM
  #38
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
It is true mate, I am from another land and have a different way of speaking and it does effect the way I type. So sad to see another grammar nazi who is so upset by some halfassed comments by some random internet hockey fan that they have to resort to that petty sort of thing to lash out. Yehaaw! (sp?)

Oh, and of course, I were obviously having a piss on the deal there mate so please, go out and purchase a sense of humour. It may not be even close to funny, but, it were obviously meant as having a piss.

Ta da mate.
wow. that was the greatest thing i've read all day!

still waiting where you heard that "comrie for skoula and a 5th" thing. thanks for the laugh...

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:38 PM
  #39
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Value wise, this is a horrible trade for Colorado. I think they're more or less throwing Skoula a bone rather than keeping him on as the 7th or 8th guy.

Jacob is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
  #40
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Value wise, this is a horrible trade for Colorado. I think they're more or less throwing Skoula a bone rather than keeping him on as the 7th or 8th guy.
at this point, a month and a half shy of the playoffs, who do you want as your 7th defenseman in yur run for the Cup? Kurt Sauer, who will accept his role as a sparing player, and play big when he gets the chance, or Martin Skoula, who will regress with less playing time and cost your @$$ big time when he's out there? i'll take Sauer, and the 4th rounder is a bonus.

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
  #41
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
Skoula had to go, and Sauer is a mighty fine tough #7 d-man. good deal heading for the playoffs.
He definitely needed to go. He was booed by the home fans every time he touched the puck in the last two periods against Edmonton on Wednesday night. I think this deal is good from an Avs perspective because he had to go and his trade value couldn't have been very high with his poor play all year long.

Golden Foppa is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:01 PM
  #42
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,237
vCash: 500
This is addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned coming from a Colorado perspective. The addition of Boughner basically put Skoula on the bench; as has the play of John-Michael Liles. Kurt Sauer is a better option as a #7 defenseman than McAllister, Clark and DJ Smith.

Some of the best news I've heard in a long time...SKOULA IS FINALLY GONE!!!!!!

Jori is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:07 PM
  #43
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
I'm just so thrilled the Ducks are getting Skoula, I cant contain my excitement.[/sarcasm]

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:08 PM
  #44
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
at this point, a month and a half shy of the playoffs, who do you want as your 7th defenseman in yur run for the Cup? Kurt Sauer, who will accept his role as a sparing player, and play big when he gets the chance, or Martin Skoula, who will regress with less playing time and cost your @$$ big time when he's out there? i'll take Sauer, and the 4th rounder is a bonus.
Excellent point. If they win the cup, it'll make Lacroix look like even more of a genius. But they still gave up on a young player with a lot of upside and kept him in their conference. Guys like Sauer are a dime a dozen, and I find it hard to believe they couldn't have found equal interest in the east. Perhaps even with a better return value.

Jacob is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:21 PM
  #45
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Excellent point. If they win the cup, it'll make Lacroix look like even more of a genius. But they still gave up on a young player with a lot of upside and kept him in their conference. Guys like Sauer are a dime a dozen, and I find it hard to believe they couldn't have found equal interest in the east. Perhaps even with a better return value.
good point as well. that's actually the only thing that bothers me about this trade: i think there were better options out there than Kurt Sauer. if fact, i still have a nagging feeling that if we'd offered Skoula and Florida's 2nd rounder, we could have gotten Brendan Witt. but whatever.

i'm not the most well informed on Kurt Sauer, but while he sounds like exactly what the Avs need, he sounds pretty average as well. Skoula's potential doesn't exactly frighten me, but if he turns out well for the Ducks, i'll be bummed. i DO think the Avs could have gotten a bit better for themselves, but for now, i'm pleased with the deal.

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:22 PM
  #46
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
wow. that was the greatest thing i've read all day!

still waiting where you heard that "comrie for skoula and a 5th" thing. thanks for the laugh...

Cheers mate and sorry for having a bit of a bash at you. I didn't know about your problem with reading comprehension. Sorry for that. I will try and write it again only this time make it as simple as I can (in deference to your comprehensive ability)

It was obviously meant as a joke. It might not have been funny, but of course, it was an obvious joke where I were in a silly manner having fun at the Avs posters who thought that Skoula actually held some bit of value. So then, I truly am sorry. I am not the kind of bloke who likes to pick on those less fortunate and truly didn't know mate.

punchy1 is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
  #47
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
good point as well. that's actually the only thing that bothers me about this trade: i think there were better options out there than Kurt Sauer. if fact, i still have a nagging feeling that if we'd offered Skoula and Florida's 2nd rounder, we could have gotten Brendan Witt. but whatever.
The Caps, and everyone else, know how poorly Skoula has been playing. I don't think Skoula could have netted Witt, even with the high second-round pick. Skoula's value, as has now been confirmed, was equivalent to a bit player or a project.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:42 PM
  #48
punchy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kiwiville.
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Well said Drake. Now quite Comrie for Skoula and a fifth but equally silly. Witt has well more value than Skoula and a second as this trade more than proved. It is a testimony to how well Witt has played and how important defencive defencemen have become in todays game. Witt will draw a propper return if he is moved at all.

punchy1 is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:44 PM
  #49
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Cheers mate and sorry for having a bit of a bash at you. I didn't know about your problem with reading comprehension. Sorry for that. I will try and write it again only this time make it as simple as I can (in deference to your comprehensive ability)

It was obviously meant as a joke. It might not have been funny, but of course, it was an obvious joke where I were in a silly manner having fun at the Avs posters who thought that Skoula actually held some bit of value. So then, I truly am sorry. I am not the kind of bloke who likes to pick on those less fortunate and truly didn't know mate.
haha now i'm getting burned and i can't even tell. i didn't mean to make fun of your accent, and you're right, lots of Avs fans overrate their players. i just don't think Skoula was one of them, we're all pretty aware of his uselessness.

i just found the whole "pissing" thing in your last post pretty funny. good for a laugh.

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
  #50
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Well said Drake. Now quite Comrie for Skoula and a fifth but equally silly. Witt has well more value than Skoula and a second as this trade more than proved. It is a testimony to how well Witt has played and how important defencive defencemen have become in todays game. Witt will draw a propper return if he is moved at all.
so if the Ducks were in contention, per se, you don't think they could have gotten Witt for Sauer, a 4th, and a high 2nd? i think they could have...

AvsGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.