HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Adios Skoula! Avs Acquire Sauer and 4th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 12:45 PM
AvsGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I am happy to see this deal. It will now silence the Av fans who were trying to pitch Skoula as a viable asset for actual NHL caliber players and puts an end to thier constantly pitching him for everyone and thier brother. No longer will the "Skoula and a 5th for Comrie type threads happen any more. He proved, in the end, to be worth no more than a fringe NHL talent defencemen which, is what he is worth his self.
mighty fine English there, "pardner". and no one, to my knowledge, ever proposed Skoula and a 5th for Comrie.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:52 PM
DarioinDenver

Skoula has more playoff experience at his age than likely any other defenseman in the last five to ten years, hell maybe ever. He's played with some of the greatest defensemen the NHL has had to offer in the last five years. Skoula has been groomed and coached by both a hard nosed, screaming Hartley and the player friendly stylings of Granato. Skoula has played in front of one of the greatest defesive taskmasters in the net with Roy. A goalie who constantly tweaked and directed the defensemen in front of him.

The most dangerous skill ever labled to a Martin Skoula is his "potential". Sauer has more "potential" to improve his game than Skoula. Maybe someone in the Ducks organization will convice the kid to give up smoking Yes, that's right gents. You name the incentive / punishment, it never worked to stop it.

Skoula is a good kid with offensive creativeness but no defensive awareness. Ducks should try converting him to a forward, that's the only potential I can ever imagine Skoula having.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:01 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakic20
The Avs should have to get Brian Leetch or Sergei Gonchar and these 2 ******* like Boughner and Sauer are 2 big zero don't be able to shoot,the control the puck and nothing more than crap like Lacroix himself.

Pierre Lacroix will regret this 2 moves to destroy the depth for the defense.With Blake and Foote out,the Avs should acquire Gonchar because if not they will be over in the playoff in 1st round once again for the 2nd season in a row and this piece of **** will die very fastly.

i needed a little pick me up this morning, thanks. i had too much to drink last night and thought i would die very fastly this mornin.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

What's Skoula's contract status? How long is he signed for?

Old
02-21-2004, 01:05 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
mighty fine English there, "pardner". and no one, to my knowledge, ever proposed Skoula and a 5th for Comrie.

It is true mate, I am from another land and have a different way of speaking and it does effect the way I type. So sad to see another grammar nazi who is so upset by some halfassed comments by some random internet hockey fan that they have to resort to that petty sort of thing to lash out. Yehaaw! (sp?)

Oh, and of course, I were obviously having a piss on the deal there mate so please, go out and purchase a sense of humour. It may not be even close to funny, but, it were obviously meant as having a piss.

Ta da mate.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
musdy

good deal for both teams

Old
02-21-2004, 01:09 PM
incawg

addition by subtraction for the avs..

Old
02-21-2004, 01:15 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
wouldnt it have bee easier for the avs just to keep him in the first place?
Very good point, but perhaps the Avs didn't think that Sauer was going to be a player.

In any case, a good deal for both teams. The Avs get a gritty young defenseman who plays physical and got some experience playing for the Ducks in their march to the Finals last year, while the Ducks get Skoula, a talented defenseman who is a bit like Ozolinsh. The pick just evens things out.

Quite something all these trades. I guess it means one of two things - it's a sign that the trade deadline will be one of the busiest ever or else all the teams will be done dealing by the trade deadline.

Pretty much a fairly significant trade a day now. Finally the completed transactions board will get some use!

Old
02-21-2004, 01:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Skoula was less than worthless in Colorado, getting him out, was a must.
That was my feeling after seeing Skoula the other night. No way can you have that guy on the ice in a playoff game. I mean, the Avalanche are about winning, and Skoula certainly isn't about winning at this point in time.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Foppa

Makes sense for both clubs.

Skoula was hurting the Avs by being on the ice and lets face it, their depth after him is just as horrid. McAllister? Clark? D.J. Smith? Sauer has struggled this year but should fit in fine as the #6/#7 defenseman in Colorado. (Lacroix letting him go for nothing still bothers me).

Meanwhile, the Ducks aren't going anywhere this year and they can afford to take a risk on Marty and see if they can knock some sense into him. I *hate* to use this word, but he's still not old and he still has some potential that perhaps can be unlocked with a change of scenery.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I like punchy's accent when he posts. Its fun to read, and he did have a great point. Some people held to the illusion that Skoula actually had lots of trade value, when in reality, he had hardly any.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:28 PM
fcbarcelona

the success of this trade from the avs perspective will be determined by the progress of both sauer and liles, who made skoula "expendable".

Old
02-21-2004, 01:35 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
It is true mate, I am from another land and have a different way of speaking and it does effect the way I type. So sad to see another grammar nazi who is so upset by some halfassed comments by some random internet hockey fan that they have to resort to that petty sort of thing to lash out. Yehaaw! (sp?)

Oh, and of course, I were obviously having a piss on the deal there mate so please, go out and purchase a sense of humour. It may not be even close to funny, but, it were obviously meant as having a piss.

Ta da mate.
wow. that was the greatest thing i've read all day!

still waiting where you heard that "comrie for skoula and a 5th" thing. thanks for the laugh...

Old
02-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Jacob

Value wise, this is a horrible trade for Colorado. I think they're more or less throwing Skoula a bone rather than keeping him on as the 7th or 8th guy.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Value wise, this is a horrible trade for Colorado. I think they're more or less throwing Skoula a bone rather than keeping him on as the 7th or 8th guy.
at this point, a month and a half shy of the playoffs, who do you want as your 7th defenseman in yur run for the Cup? Kurt Sauer, who will accept his role as a sparing player, and play big when he gets the chance, or Martin Skoula, who will regress with less playing time and cost your @$$ big time when he's out there? i'll take Sauer, and the 4th rounder is a bonus.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Skoula had to go, and Sauer is a mighty fine tough #7 d-man. good deal heading for the playoffs.
He definitely needed to go. He was booed by the home fans every time he touched the puck in the last two periods against Edmonton on Wednesday night. I think this deal is good from an Avs perspective because he had to go and his trade value couldn't have been very high with his poor play all year long.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Jori

This is addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned coming from a Colorado perspective. The addition of Boughner basically put Skoula on the bench; as has the play of John-Michael Liles. Kurt Sauer is a better option as a #7 defenseman than McAllister, Clark and DJ Smith.

Some of the best news I've heard in a long time...SKOULA IS FINALLY GONE!!!!!!

Old
02-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Hockeyfan02

I'm just so thrilled the Ducks are getting Skoula, I cant contain my excitement.[/sarcasm]

Old
02-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Jacob

Quote:
at this point, a month and a half shy of the playoffs, who do you want as your 7th defenseman in yur run for the Cup? Kurt Sauer, who will accept his role as a sparing player, and play big when he gets the chance, or Martin Skoula, who will regress with less playing time and cost your @$$ big time when he's out there? i'll take Sauer, and the 4th rounder is a bonus.
Excellent point. If they win the cup, it'll make Lacroix look like even more of a genius. But they still gave up on a young player with a lot of upside and kept him in their conference. Guys like Sauer are a dime a dozen, and I find it hard to believe they couldn't have found equal interest in the east. Perhaps even with a better return value.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:21 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Excellent point. If they win the cup, it'll make Lacroix look like even more of a genius. But they still gave up on a young player with a lot of upside and kept him in their conference. Guys like Sauer are a dime a dozen, and I find it hard to believe they couldn't have found equal interest in the east. Perhaps even with a better return value.
good point as well. that's actually the only thing that bothers me about this trade: i think there were better options out there than Kurt Sauer. if fact, i still have a nagging feeling that if we'd offered Skoula and Florida's 2nd rounder, we could have gotten Brendan Witt. but whatever.

i'm not the most well informed on Kurt Sauer, but while he sounds like exactly what the Avs need, he sounds pretty average as well. Skoula's potential doesn't exactly frighten me, but if he turns out well for the Ducks, i'll be bummed. i DO think the Avs could have gotten a bit better for themselves, but for now, i'm pleased with the deal.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:22 PM
punchy1

Quote:
wow. that was the greatest thing i've read all day!

still waiting where you heard that "comrie for skoula and a 5th" thing. thanks for the laugh...

Cheers mate and sorry for having a bit of a bash at you. I didn't know about your problem with reading comprehension. Sorry for that. I will try and write it again only this time make it as simple as I can (in deference to your comprehensive ability)

It was obviously meant as a joke. It might not have been funny, but of course, it was an obvious joke where I were in a silly manner having fun at the Avs posters who thought that Skoula actually held some bit of value. So then, I truly am sorry. I am not the kind of bloke who likes to pick on those less fortunate and truly didn't know mate.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
good point as well. that's actually the only thing that bothers me about this trade: i think there were better options out there than Kurt Sauer. if fact, i still have a nagging feeling that if we'd offered Skoula and Florida's 2nd rounder, we could have gotten Brendan Witt. but whatever.
The Caps, and everyone else, know how poorly Skoula has been playing. I don't think Skoula could have netted Witt, even with the high second-round pick. Skoula's value, as has now been confirmed, was equivalent to a bit player or a project.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:42 PM
punchy1

Well said Drake. Now quite Comrie for Skoula and a fifth but equally silly. Witt has well more value than Skoula and a second as this trade more than proved. It is a testimony to how well Witt has played and how important defencive defencemen have become in todays game. Witt will draw a propper return if he is moved at all.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:44 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Cheers mate and sorry for having a bit of a bash at you. I didn't know about your problem with reading comprehension. Sorry for that. I will try and write it again only this time make it as simple as I can (in deference to your comprehensive ability)

It was obviously meant as a joke. It might not have been funny, but of course, it was an obvious joke where I were in a silly manner having fun at the Avs posters who thought that Skoula actually held some bit of value. So then, I truly am sorry. I am not the kind of bloke who likes to pick on those less fortunate and truly didn't know mate.
haha now i'm getting burned and i can't even tell. i didn't mean to make fun of your accent, and you're right, lots of Avs fans overrate their players. i just don't think Skoula was one of them, we're all pretty aware of his uselessness.

i just found the whole "pissing" thing in your last post pretty funny. good for a laugh.

Old
02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Well said Drake. Now quite Comrie for Skoula and a fifth but equally silly. Witt has well more value than Skoula and a second as this trade more than proved. It is a testimony to how well Witt has played and how important defencive defencemen have become in todays game. Witt will draw a propper return if he is moved at all.
so if the Ducks were in contention, per se, you don't think they could have gotten Witt for Sauer, a 4th, and a high 2nd? i think they could have...

Closed Thread