HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Too many broken hockey sticks -Help

Old
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Harry Vee

vCash: 500
Too many broken hockey sticks -Help

Hey All
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. My sticks break far too often. I play open hockeys and a mens house league and im 5'7 180 so i'm not rediculously heavy. I have a decent slap shot, but not one that should be breaking sticks. I use a relatively long stick. I don't want to buy an expensive stick because i broke a v10 stick in 30days and the v8 replacement broke within a couple games. i bought a 30$ stick and broke that on a slapshot in the 1st game. I've broken a few 30$ sherwoods. Anyone know what i am doing wrong or could it just be that i block a lot of shots with my stick and play pretty wreckless? Thanks in advance

Harry Vee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
santiclaws

Are they all breaking the same way? In the same place?

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnolimit View Post
Hey All
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. My sticks break far too often. I play open hockeys and a mens house league and im 5'7 180 so i'm not rediculously heavy. I have a decent slap shot, but not one that should be breaking sticks. I use a relatively long stick. I don't want to buy an expensive stick because i broke a v10 stick in 30days and the v8 replacement broke within a couple games. i bought a 30$ stick and broke that on a slapshot in the 1st game. I've broken a few 30$ sherwoods. Anyone know what i am doing wrong or could it just be that i block a lot of shots with my stick and play pretty wreckless? Thanks in advance
How long of a stick? The longer they are the more susceptible to breaking.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Higher flex maybe.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Buy sticks with warranties. I went through this playing hockey too and still do. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a stick that lasts for a while, other times you'll find one that blows up like a land mine first shot.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
You should be at 100 flex at your height and weight. I would try going up to a 110 flex if you're going to stay with cheap sticks. But, there is a reason they are cheap.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:12 AM
noobman

Hmm...

Where are you breaking your sticks? I suppose you're breaking them at the shaft? If you're breaking near the blade, you may be using too long a stick.

I find that when my sticks break, it's usually the blade that breaks, or the very bottom of the shaft (I'm a hack-and-slasher).

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Gino 14

If you're playing open hockey and a house league you probably aren't even supposed to be taking slapshots. Try working on wrist shots and save someone else from getting hurt.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
stick9

I'm willing to bet the excessive breakage is due to the length of the stick.

Get a couple of cheap wood sticks and cut them to different lengths and see if they break as easily as your others.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Harry Vee

I am definately using a stick thats too long for me so i guess that could be the problem. I've noticed though that when i take slapshots, i hit the ice very early so I'm going to get a smaller stick and work on my shot. thanks for the input guys

Harry Vee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnolimit View Post
I am definately using a stick thats too long for me so i guess that could be the problem. I've noticed though that when i take slapshots, i hit the ice very early so I'm going to get a smaller stick and work on my shot. thanks for the input guys
Problem solved.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote