HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton S17 Great Stick But Not Durable

Old
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

vCash: 500
Easton S17 Great Stick But Not Durable

I got an Easton s17 100 flex about 1 month ago. I've used it about 12-15 times mostly playing inline on sport court surface with about 3 ice sessions mixed in. The stick is awesome. I notice a big increase in the way the puck explodes off of my stick.
However, It is already cracking at the bottom of the blade.
I've seen someone break one on a soft slash and also heard of one breaking on a slapper just a couple days after purchase.
Who owns this stick and how is it holding up...mine is on it's last leg and I barely had it for a month

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeah I know a kid who had one and he broke it with a slash in about 5 inline games. Thats the risk it takes when it tapers down too the blade. Gives a great kickpoint but bad durability, similar to the bauer XXX lites.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Did it ever occur to you that they aren't made for inline?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Plus, NHLers don't even pay for their stuff, so they don't care if they break it or not haha

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

T3h Pw0nz0rz

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Yeah bud, I'd go tapered shaft/hybrid blade if you don't feel like replacing s17's every couple of months...I mean, you are playing on sportcourt!

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post

T3h Pw0nz0rz
What stick is that?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
What stick is that?
Warrior AK27

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Did it ever occur to you that they aren't made for inline?
I used it for both inline and ice. But what negative effects could inline have on it? The surface is smoother and the puck is lighter
I'm under the impression that a stick is a stick. There are no sticks specifically made for roller as opposed to ice...are there?

Old
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Polska

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
I used it for both inline and ice. But what negative effects could inline have on it? The surface is smoother and the puck is lighter
I'm under the impression that a stick is a stick. There are no sticks specifically made for roller as opposed to ice...are there?
What kind of surface is smoother than ICE!? Sport court creates more friction and wears your stick down faster. That's just common sense.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Nosebleed Section

Sportcourt should not be wearing a blade down like this. And if you play roller hockey on a decent court you'll realize that you actually wear through tape way less.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:38 AM
hockeydadx2*

There is a flaw in the design. Easton told me this after my kid broke his stick the first time, after minimal use. The shaft snapped right above the blade when he deflected a soft pass in practice. They said that most of these sticks are breaking too easily. They told me they changed the manufacturing process, and they'd send me a new one. This one lasted about 5 sessions before breaking in exactly the same place. I'm trying to convince them to replace this one, too, since they admitted to me that the first design was flawed (seems like the second one is, too).

In this area, a number of hockey equipment stores are telling people NOT to buy this stick, as all of them are breaking way too easily.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polska View Post
What kind of surface is smoother than ICE!? Sport court creates more friction and wears your stick down faster. That's just common sense.
Sport court is much smoother than ice. Ice is only smooth through the first couple of shifts and once it gets cut up it tears at the bottom of the tape on the stick. If I only play roller I rarely have to re-tape my stick. On ice the tape wears away after just a few games.

Old
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
JorgeRocks!

well i have a buddy and he goes to a fancy hockey school were they are on the ice twice a day. i guess some of the guys on his team got a s17 as soon as they came out, and they have not broken yet! i also have a teammate who is very hard on his sticks, and his s17 has lasted him a long time by his standards

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
well i have a buddy and he goes to a fancy hockey school were they are on the ice twice a day. i guess some of the guys on his team got a s17 as soon as they came out, and they have not broken yet! i also have a teammate who is very hard on his sticks, and his s17 has lasted him a long time by his standards
My son uses the S17 and it is, according to him, the most durable composite he's ever used, much more durable than any of the Easton stuff he has used before. He plays and practices almost every day all season long and he's only broken a handful of them. He loves it; he says it's the best composite he's used.

BobMckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I tried one last week and the kick was amazing. Easton labels their sticks for performance and durability. The Stealth is for performance and not so much durability but they've been holding up pretty well. I do the defectives at a sporting goods chain where I live and other than the Sher-woods, most of the 07-08 onepieces are holding up nicely. Personally, I use a Warrior Dolemite and have no problems suggesting this particular one piece. That AK-27 that Kovalev uses is phenomenal for anyone who prefers the 2 piece versions.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
The ellipse is there to reduce torquing at the blade and the kick point of the shaft. What happens when sticks hit the ice is the shaft twists and the blade flexes; reducing accuracy and power. The ellipse doesn't do nearly as much torquing as traditional sticks and accuracy and power are increased. If the stick isn't torquing as much I'd be inclined to believe it's taking LESS of a beating on the ice.

I've had mine since December and no problems, I shoot hard but I am not hard on my sticks.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:21 AM
32leaguer

Any updates on the durability issues on these (if there is, in fact, a durability issue)?
Any "new releases" that seem to hold up better?

32leaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Getzlaf never seems to break them.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:37 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Getzlaf never seems to break them.
That because Getzlaf isnt using an S17.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:49 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
That because Getzlaf isnt using an S17.
He sure isnt. he uses a painted stealth. the S17 is worst stick for durabilty. just ask easton. at the national championships in buffalo this past year i was talking with a few of the reps from easton and was told flat out the stick wont last longer than 2 months with normal use. i asked what is normal use he said playing 3 times a week usally. he also said wait another year on a stealth becuase easton has a brad new stick in the works.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:56 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
He sure isnt. he uses a painted stealth. the S17 is worst stick for durabilty. just ask easton. at the national championships in buffalo this past year i was talking with a few of the reps from easton and was told flat out the stick wont last longer than 2 months with normal use. i asked what is normal use he said playing 3 times a week usally. he also said wait another year on a stealth becuase easton has a brad new stick in the works.
I know Heatley uses the Stealths painted as an S17 and read that Getzlaf uses SE's painted as an S17. I do agree with you though about the durability of them. Eastons durability is the exact reason I stopped using Easton about 12 years ago.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I know Heatley uses the Stealths painted as an S17 and read that Getzlaf uses SE's painted as an S17. I do agree with you though about the durability of them. Eastons durability is the exact reason I stopped using Easton about 12 years ago.
aww **** and my naive ass believed it! Son of a beesting I'm going to have a lil chat with Getzlaf.

Old
07-26-2008, 04:32 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

They probably don't want a stick exploding on a scoring chance haha.

raygunpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
They probably don't want a stick exploding on a scoring chance haha.
I was wondering how come that never happens.