HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Agree to a 4 Year, $14.4MM Contract with Stoll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
  #326
null33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Understood.

But hypothetical is the only thing us fans do on these boards. Teams dump players everyday and Lubo would be no exception in years three or four. Not to mention he already agreed on a move knowing full well that he had a NMC that was about to kick in.
I can accept trades all of the time no matter how much they sting. But our asset management is for the dumps.

As for signing our young stars.....well i'm not really buying into that lately. We have cheap and dishonest owners and I won't call them anything else as i'll get kicked off these boards.......again!
We agree. My hypothetical was offered to counter those of us who insist Visnovsky was traded now to clear up Cap/Budget room two, three, four years in the future. Clever GMs can get rid of bad contracts (as Burke did with Fedorov), especially if they have additional assets (picks/prospects) to offer potential trading partners.

Visnovsky was traded because the team's Cash Budget is smaller than it was when he signed the big contract. Lombardi didn't get a better value because he was in a hurry to get the deal done before the NMC deadline and because Visnovsky had just turned in a subpar -- for him -- season.

null33 is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
  #327
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
According to the Kings, Stoll is not SIGNED yet. They have agreed in principle on length of term and total value of the contract.

One thing they're waiting on is that Stoll's agent is on a pre-scheduled European vacation.

FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  #328
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
According to the Kings, Stoll is not SIGNED yet. They have agreed in principle on length of term and total value of the contract.

One thing they're waiting on is that Stoll's agent is on a pre-scheduled European vacation.
Well that and the small matter of how much $$$/season. So none of the guys have been signed. Pretty lame move by the Kings to try to save some face today...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
  #329
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 50
Oh geez. Great news.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
  #330
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,260
vCash: 500
The news release on the Kings' site stated the team has "agreed to terms" with Stoll. This happens often and is nothing new.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
09-06-2008, 04:48 PM
  #331
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The news release on the Kings' site stated the team has "agreed to terms" with Stoll. This happens often and is nothing new.
Stated and taken down except for their poll thing while older stuff runs? That's friggin lame and a somewhat desperate looking move by the Kings for the STH event today. Why even bother with the "agreed to terms" BS if not to save face with the STHs today?


Last edited by King Blazer: 09-06-2008 at 05:09 PM.
King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
  #332
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Come on Ziggy. It's a friggin lame and somewhat desperate move by the Kings for the STH event today. Why even bother with the "agreed to terms" BS if not to save face with the STHs today?
If DL had said that he agreed to terms with Stoll verbally today as opposed to putting it in a press release a couple of days ago, folks would be thrilled to hear it - just as they were a couple days ago when the release came out. He'll be signed before camp starts, and that'll be that.

- T

TonySCV is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 05:13 PM
  #333
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If DL had said that he agreed to terms with Stoll verbally today as opposed to putting it in a press release a couple of days ago, folks would be thrilled to hear it - just as they were a couple days ago when the release came out. He'll be signed before camp starts, and that'll be that.

- T
Have it your way man. I think it's a pretty lame move either way. By the way, Stoll has NOT signed a 4-yr deal and the title of this thread is misleading. You should right the wrong...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
  #334
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
You just named one guy each from the 70's, 80's, 90's and one current. In today's game i'd classify him as an elite defenseman. Not to many guys in this league can go end to end and still catch some one on a break-away.

**** even the Oilers captain thinks so!

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-8d77eccc494e
Chara is elite, Pronger is elite, Neidermeyer is elite, Zubov is elite, Phanuef is on his way to being elite. Lubo is not in the same class as those guys. Not even close.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
  #335
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
By the way, Stoll has NOT signed a 4-yr deal and the title of this thread is misleading. You should right the wrong...
I've made the change. Everyone can rest easy tonight.

- T

TonySCV is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
  #336
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I've made the change. Everyone can rest easy tonight.

- T
Thank you...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
  #337
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Well that and the small matter of how much $$$/season. So none of the guys have been signed. Pretty lame move by the Kings to try to save some face today...
Why is it lame? They agreed in principle on the length and total amount and then the agent went on vacation. They'll pick up where they left off when he gets back.

What's the problem here? People are allowed to go on vacation.

FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 06:24 PM
  #338
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Why is it lame? They agreed in principle on the length and total amount and then the agent went on vacation. They'll pick up where they left off when he gets back.

What's the problem here? People are allowed to go on vacation.
Basically because they actually agreed to the "deal in principle" weeks ago and conveniently slipped the news out just days before the STH Breakfast hoping to have a little momentum going in. To me that's lame. Why say anything at all until the deal is signed? My guess is because the fans a hyper restless given last season and a lack of them actually signing the three or extending Kopitar or Johnson...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
  #339
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Basically because they actually agreed to the "deal in principle" weeks ago and conveniently slipped the news out just days before the STH Breakfast hoping to have a little momentum going in. To me that's lame. Why say anything at all until the deal is signed? My guess is because the fans a hyper restless given last season and a lack of them actually signing the three or extending Kopitar or Johnson...
Can you point to any FACTS that support them having made the agreement weeks ago, outside of rumors or reports that cite unamed sources? While they might be true, you'd be foolish to take them at their word.

Fact is, unless we ask the Kings and get an answer from them, we really don't know for sure, which means that your statement is not based on anything factual. You might be right, but then again...

Also keep in mind that we don't know who the source of the rumors/reports were. Was it the Kings or was it Stoll's agent? Often times, it comes from the agent. You're assuming that it was the Kings. It could be that they responded to queries after the source talked. You really don't know.

Besides...if the Kings were going after the "make a splash with our season seat holders" strategy, they would've had Stoll and O'Sullivan signed and made the announcement at the breakfast AND had them present. That's more the style of the Kings' marketing "gurus" in my experience.

A little objectivity might be wise here, folks.


Last edited by FrozenRoyalty: 09-06-2008 at 07:31 PM.
FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
  #340
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Can you point to any FACTS that support them having made the agreement weeks ago, outside of rumors or reports that cite unamed sources?
No I can't, not in this case. It's probably just a huge coincidence that the info came out when it did and the Kings are the victims here...

FWIW, in the past, players have told me directly that they had signed deals and the Kings did not announce it for weeks.

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
  #341
Petter
Registered User
 
Petter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
According to the NHL media site, Stoll actually has signed a deal.

Petter is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
  #342
guzmania
Registered User
 
guzmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SCV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Being kinda outside the fray, I must say, KB has never been known as a wild young radical. Dotting T's and crossing eyes is more what I think of when The King Blazer comes to mind.

Hey KB is it snowing yet in New Hampsha?

guzmania is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
  #343
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Being kinda outside the fray, I must say, KB has never been known as a wild young radical. Dotting T's and crossing eyes is more what I think of when The King Blazer comes to mind.

Hey KB is it snowing yet in New Hampsha?
Thanks guz. I know I'm being particular here BUT, according to the Kings themselves, there is no contract with Stoll at this time. Granted, I have no reason to believe that there isn't one forthcoming and expect it will happen, STILL, there isn't a contract in place today. That, combined with I can't remember the last time if any, the Kings announced a deal in principle with a player on their website regardless of what Ziggy said. It wreaks of cheesy to me.

Thankfully it's not cold enough to snow yet. We're getting the remnants of hurricane Hanna here and expecting 3"-6" of rain overnight. That would be about 5-feet of snow...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
  #344
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Thanks guz. I know I'm being particular here BUT, according to the Kings themselves, there is no contract with Stoll at this time. Granted, I have no reason to believe that there isn't one forthcoming and expect it will happen, STILL, there isn't a contract in place today. That, combined with I can't remember the last time if any, the Kings announced a deal in principle with a player on their website regardless of what Ziggy said. It wreaks of cheesy to me.

Thankfully it's not cold enough to snow yet. We're getting the remnants of hurricane Hanna here and expecting 3"-6" of rain overnight. That would be about 5-feet of snow...
Your suspicions are probably correct. All I'm saying is that we don't KNOW if they are because we have nothing factual to base it on, hence, my suggestion about objectivity.

FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
  #345
Petter
Registered User
 
Petter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Nobody read my post, huh?

Petter is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
  #346
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopitar View Post
Nobody read my post, huh?
The NHL site is wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately.

FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:36 PM
  #347
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Your suspicions are probably correct. All I'm saying is that we don't KNOW if they are because we have nothing factual to base it on, hence, my suggestion about objectivity.
Fair enough. Thanks...

King Blazer is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
  #348
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Fair enough. Thanks...
No problem. I just have a problem when people state something that is their opinion, but state it as if it were fact, or they say something happened when they actually have no basis in fact to make that claim, or they only have rumors or reports based on unnamed sources, which is NOT sufficient evidence.

This happens a lot on message boards and is often the cause of flame wars.

Just trying to help. :-)

FrozenRoyalty is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
  #349
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
So wait....first we have a poster on here that all of the moderators trust saying that the deal was agreed upon weeks ago. Now we are saying that they just agreed upon the deal recently? Because if they did agree upon it weeks ago and only recently announce it that means the team did so just to make themselves look good before the breakfast with the GM. So which side are we suppose to believe? The side that says this deal was agreed upon weeks ago? Or the side that says this deal was only recently agreed upon?

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
  #350
yankeeking
Registered User
 
yankeeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Do you mean the kings actually might have done something public relation oriented, I find that hard to believe.........this is the team that after converting the best parking into another revenue generating venue causing many to walk thru one of the worst areas in america, then raised prices on that parking after a last place finish, pure genius......

yankeeking is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.