HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Agree to a 4 Year, $14.4MM Contract with Stoll

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
null33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Understood.

But hypothetical is the only thing us fans do on these boards. Teams dump players everyday and Lubo would be no exception in years three or four. Not to mention he already agreed on a move knowing full well that he had a NMC that was about to kick in.
I can accept trades all of the time no matter how much they sting. But our asset management is for the dumps.

As for signing our young stars.....well i'm not really buying into that lately. We have cheap and dishonest owners and I won't call them anything else as i'll get kicked off these boards.......again!
We agree. My hypothetical was offered to counter those of us who insist Visnovsky was traded now to clear up Cap/Budget room two, three, four years in the future. Clever GMs can get rid of bad contracts (as Burke did with Fedorov), especially if they have additional assets (picks/prospects) to offer potential trading partners.

Visnovsky was traded because the team's Cash Budget is smaller than it was when he signed the big contract. Lombardi didn't get a better value because he was in a hurry to get the deal done before the NMC deadline and because Visnovsky had just turned in a subpar -- for him -- season.

Old
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

According to the Kings, Stoll is not SIGNED yet. They have agreed in principle on length of term and total value of the contract.

One thing they're waiting on is that Stoll's agent is on a pre-scheduled European vacation.

Old
09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
According to the Kings, Stoll is not SIGNED yet. They have agreed in principle on length of term and total value of the contract.

One thing they're waiting on is that Stoll's agent is on a pre-scheduled European vacation.
Well that and the small matter of how much $$$/season. So none of the guys have been signed. Pretty lame move by the Kings to try to save some face today...

Old
09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Oh geez. Great news.

Old
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The news release on the Kings' site stated the team has "agreed to terms" with Stoll. This happens often and is nothing new.

Old
09-06-2008, 04:48 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The news release on the Kings' site stated the team has "agreed to terms" with Stoll. This happens often and is nothing new.
Stated and taken down except for their poll thing while older stuff runs? That's friggin lame and a somewhat desperate looking move by the Kings for the STH event today. Why even bother with the "agreed to terms" BS if not to save face with the STHs today?

Last edited by King Blazer: 09-06-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Come on Ziggy. It's a friggin lame and somewhat desperate move by the Kings for the STH event today. Why even bother with the "agreed to terms" BS if not to save face with the STHs today?
If DL had said that he agreed to terms with Stoll verbally today as opposed to putting it in a press release a couple of days ago, folks would be thrilled to hear it - just as they were a couple days ago when the release came out. He'll be signed before camp starts, and that'll be that.

- T

Old
09-06-2008, 05:13 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If DL had said that he agreed to terms with Stoll verbally today as opposed to putting it in a press release a couple of days ago, folks would be thrilled to hear it - just as they were a couple days ago when the release came out. He'll be signed before camp starts, and that'll be that.

- T
Have it your way man. I think it's a pretty lame move either way. By the way, Stoll has NOT signed a 4-yr deal and the title of this thread is misleading. You should right the wrong...

Old
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
You just named one guy each from the 70's, 80's, 90's and one current. In today's game i'd classify him as an elite defenseman. Not to many guys in this league can go end to end and still catch some one on a break-away.

**** even the Oilers captain thinks so!

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-8d77eccc494e
Chara is elite, Pronger is elite, Neidermeyer is elite, Zubov is elite, Phanuef is on his way to being elite. Lubo is not in the same class as those guys. Not even close.

Old
09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
By the way, Stoll has NOT signed a 4-yr deal and the title of this thread is misleading. You should right the wrong...
I've made the change. Everyone can rest easy tonight.

- T

Old
09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I've made the change. Everyone can rest easy tonight.

- T
Thank you...

Old
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well that and the small matter of how much $$$/season. So none of the guys have been signed. Pretty lame move by the Kings to try to save some face today...
Why is it lame? They agreed in principle on the length and total amount and then the agent went on vacation. They'll pick up where they left off when he gets back.

What's the problem here? People are allowed to go on vacation.

Old
09-06-2008, 06:24 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Why is it lame? They agreed in principle on the length and total amount and then the agent went on vacation. They'll pick up where they left off when he gets back.

What's the problem here? People are allowed to go on vacation.
Basically because they actually agreed to the "deal in principle" weeks ago and conveniently slipped the news out just days before the STH Breakfast hoping to have a little momentum going in. To me that's lame. Why say anything at all until the deal is signed? My guess is because the fans a hyper restless given last season and a lack of them actually signing the three or extending Kopitar or Johnson...

Old
09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Basically because they actually agreed to the "deal in principle" weeks ago and conveniently slipped the news out just days before the STH Breakfast hoping to have a little momentum going in. To me that's lame. Why say anything at all until the deal is signed? My guess is because the fans a hyper restless given last season and a lack of them actually signing the three or extending Kopitar or Johnson...
Can you point to any FACTS that support them having made the agreement weeks ago, outside of rumors or reports that cite unamed sources? While they might be true, you'd be foolish to take them at their word.

Fact is, unless we ask the Kings and get an answer from them, we really don't know for sure, which means that your statement is not based on anything factual. You might be right, but then again...

Also keep in mind that we don't know who the source of the rumors/reports were. Was it the Kings or was it Stoll's agent? Often times, it comes from the agent. You're assuming that it was the Kings. It could be that they responded to queries after the source talked. You really don't know.

Besides...if the Kings were going after the "make a splash with our season seat holders" strategy, they would've had Stoll and O'Sullivan signed and made the announcement at the breakfast AND had them present. That's more the style of the Kings' marketing "gurus" in my experience.

A little objectivity might be wise here, folks.

Last edited by FrozenRoyalty: 09-06-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Can you point to any FACTS that support them having made the agreement weeks ago, outside of rumors or reports that cite unamed sources?
No I can't, not in this case. It's probably just a huge coincidence that the info came out when it did and the Kings are the victims here...

FWIW, in the past, players have told me directly that they had signed deals and the Kings did not announce it for weeks.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Petter

According to the NHL media site, Stoll actually has signed a deal.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
guzmania

Being kinda outside the fray, I must say, KB has never been known as a wild young radical. Dotting T's and crossing eyes is more what I think of when The King Blazer comes to mind.

Hey KB is it snowing yet in New Hampsha?

Old
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Being kinda outside the fray, I must say, KB has never been known as a wild young radical. Dotting T's and crossing eyes is more what I think of when The King Blazer comes to mind.

Hey KB is it snowing yet in New Hampsha?
Thanks guz. I know I'm being particular here BUT, according to the Kings themselves, there is no contract with Stoll at this time. Granted, I have no reason to believe that there isn't one forthcoming and expect it will happen, STILL, there isn't a contract in place today. That, combined with I can't remember the last time if any, the Kings announced a deal in principle with a player on their website regardless of what Ziggy said. It wreaks of cheesy to me.

Thankfully it's not cold enough to snow yet. We're getting the remnants of hurricane Hanna here and expecting 3"-6" of rain overnight. That would be about 5-feet of snow...

Old
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thanks guz. I know I'm being particular here BUT, according to the Kings themselves, there is no contract with Stoll at this time. Granted, I have no reason to believe that there isn't one forthcoming and expect it will happen, STILL, there isn't a contract in place today. That, combined with I can't remember the last time if any, the Kings announced a deal in principle with a player on their website regardless of what Ziggy said. It wreaks of cheesy to me.

Thankfully it's not cold enough to snow yet. We're getting the remnants of hurricane Hanna here and expecting 3"-6" of rain overnight. That would be about 5-feet of snow...
Your suspicions are probably correct. All I'm saying is that we don't KNOW if they are because we have nothing factual to base it on, hence, my suggestion about objectivity.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Petter

Nobody read my post, huh?

Old
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopitar View Post
Nobody read my post, huh?
The NHL site is wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:36 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Your suspicions are probably correct. All I'm saying is that we don't KNOW if they are because we have nothing factual to base it on, hence, my suggestion about objectivity.
Fair enough. Thanks...

Old
09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Fair enough. Thanks...
No problem. I just have a problem when people state something that is their opinion, but state it as if it were fact, or they say something happened when they actually have no basis in fact to make that claim, or they only have rumors or reports based on unnamed sources, which is NOT sufficient evidence.

This happens a lot on message boards and is often the cause of flame wars.

Just trying to help. :-)

Old
09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Captain Ron

So wait....first we have a poster on here that all of the moderators trust saying that the deal was agreed upon weeks ago. Now we are saying that they just agreed upon the deal recently? Because if they did agree upon it weeks ago and only recently announce it that means the team did so just to make themselves look good before the breakfast with the GM. So which side are we suppose to believe? The side that says this deal was agreed upon weeks ago? Or the side that says this deal was only recently agreed upon?

Old
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
yankeeking

Do you mean the kings actually might have done something public relation oriented, I find that hard to believe.........this is the team that after converting the best parking into another revenue generating venue causing many to walk thru one of the worst areas in america, then raised prices on that parking after a last place finish, pure genius......

Closed Thread