HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Chris Drury?

Old
08-12-2008, 06:04 AM
jfc64

vCash: 500
Trade for Chris Drury?

Now when the Sundin to the Rangers rumour won't die, is there any way we can help Rangers shred some cap numbers so they can sign the big swede?

I'm thinking Drury for Clark, a pick and a prospect. Then we can trade Arnason for a cheaper, true seventh d-man.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:09 AM
DonovanMD

Drury may not be a perennial all star, but it would take a lot more than Clark, a random prospect and even a 1st rounder to get him. But nothing wrong with dreaming in technicolour I suppose.

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
I don't see why we should give up any assets to 'help' out the Rangers in any way. Don't get me wrong, Chris Drury is a very nice player but there's no way in hell he's worth $7M a year on a multi year deal. They overpaid, they're stuck against the cap, too bad for them.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:13 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Drury may not be a perennial all star, but it would take a lot more than Clark, a random prospect and even a 1st rounder to get him. But nothing wrong with dreaming in technicolour I suppose.
He comes with a price tag (high cap number), which might not make him too expensive, I believe. A secondrounder and Williams, along with Clark ?

The Sundin salary and Denver PR might play a role as well.

Old
08-12-2008, 07:18 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't see why we should give up any assets to 'help' out the Rangers in any way. Don't get me wrong, Chris Drury is a very nice player but there's no way in hell he's worth $7M a year on a multi year deal. They overpaid, they're stuck against the cap, too bad for them.

Hmm...I was a bit ironic when wanting to "help" the New York Rangers"...actually I want to STEAL Drury now, in the middle of the summer. But I also won't jeopardize Sakic and Forsberg, why I see Arnason and, say Wolski being in danger of being traded. The latter only if he fails during the season. Maybe Clark is a bit overpaid as well...

Old
08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
jfc64

Dream Team 2008-2009:

Smyth - Sakic - Drury
Forsberg - Stastny - Hejduk
Tucker - Wolski - Svatos
McLeod - Guite - Laperriere
Hensick - Jones

Liles - Hannan
Salei - Foote
Tjarnquest - Leopold
Cumiskey

Budaj
Raycroft

Old
08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

I love Chris Drury, he's probably the only ex-Av I've ever been able to cheer for, but that being said I don't want anything to do with him and his $7 million contract.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
thedoctor
                    

jfc64, you crack me up. One second you have Clark as our 9th defenseman, the next you're trading him for Drury with a prospect and a pick.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Hmm...I was a bit ironic when wanting to "help" the New York Rangers"...actually I want to STEAL Drury now, in the middle of the summer. But I also won't jeopardize Sakic and Forsberg, why I see Arnason and, say Wolski being in danger of being traded. The latter only if he fails during the season. Maybe Clark is a bit overpaid as well...
There's no 'stealing' to be done here. If the Avs give up any assets for that contract, that's what's being stolen...by the Rangers. If Drury had been signed as a UFA, fine (but not at that price!)...at least you don't give up anything to get him. At $7M, Drury is going to have a hard time to live up to that billing for the entire length of that contract. He's a damn fine player and a fantastic second liner with wonderful intangibles and clutch scoring but he's still just a second line player. With the Avs, Calgary, Buffalo and now New York, he's had opportunities to be the go-to-guy but has never once scored 70pts in an NHL season...that's not worth $7M a year...that's worth $5M a year tops.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Golden Foppa

Put me down as a big "no." Chris Drury's contract is just too much. We've got guys like Stastny to sign to extensions. We don't need Chris Drury on a multi-year overpaid $7M contract.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
jfc64, you crack me up. One second you have Clark as our 9th defenseman, the next you're trading him for Drury with a prospect and a pick.
Someone had Clark ranked as our 9th defenseman?

And it wasn't me? :-)

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Someone had Clark ranked as our 9th defenseman?

And it wasn't me? :-)

-AB
yeah, i thought you'd just forgotten that -AB in the first post.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

No matter how much people here hate Arnason and Clark, they're going to be in the lineup this season unless they get hit by lightning. I suggest dealing with it.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
LTC Pain

Quote:
Wolski in danger of being traded? Quad LMAO! Never happen!

LTC Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
No matter how much people here hate Arnason and Clark, they're going to be in the lineup this season unless they get hit by lightning.
Well, as of 4:24pm today, the gray clouds are building here in south Denver. Perhaps the two of them are out jogging....?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Well, as of 4:24pm today, the gray clouds are building here in south Denver. Perhaps the two of them are out jogging....?

-AB
I'd say the odds of Arnason being hit by lightning are only slightly worse than the odds of him jogging

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1390
Quote:
I'd say the odds of Arnason being hit by lightning are only slightly worse than the odds of him jogging
Zing!

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
No matter how much people here hate Arnason and Clark, they're going to be in the lineup this season unless they get hit by lightning. I suggest dealing with it.
I don't see how you can hate Clark anymore. Just limit his role, and he's fine. The salary bugged me, but one year later it's fair... That's cap inflation for you.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:49 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I love Chris Drury, he's probably the only ex-Av I've ever been able to cheer for, but that being said I don't want anything to do with him and his $7 million contract.
If we can fit him in this season, and he's taking over for Sakic next year?

Old
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
Wolski in danger of being traded? Quad LMAO! Never happen!

Probably not. Let's hope not. Let us pray.

Old
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post

How funny the world can be. A top six defender OUTSIDE of a game day roster? Is he going to be traded?

Old
08-13-2008, 12:40 AM
chewey
dmitri

No!
- Overpaid
- Getting older [though still good in faceoffs]
- Staz & TJ are capable of taking the 1st and 2nd line role once/if Joe retires [we'll just let Arny go and sign a legitimate 3rd line center]
- Why waste 7 million cap on a player who is looking to be on the decline when it can be used to sign players from a bigger UFA market next year

Plus, I would rather think that other teams would be in Drury more than us such as Canadians and Canucks

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:57 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
No!
- Overpaid
- Getting older [though still good in faceoffs]
- Staz & TJ are capable of taking the 1st and 2nd line role once/if Joe retires [we'll just let Arny go and sign a legitimate 3rd line center]
- Why waste 7 million cap on a player who is looking to be on the decline when it can be used to sign players from a bigger UFA market next year

Plus, I would rather think that other teams would be in Drury more than us such as Canadians and Canucks

Finally some good arguments...He IS overpaid...but I think Clark is, too...but not as much as Drury, though

I also believe the Rangers won't be contenders in a while, so maybe the Avs would be a good choice if the Rangers should give him (Drury) the McCabe treatment...

With Staz and TJ I think they will be a good combo at center in a few years. But not in Sakic's and Forsberg's last year(s). That is now.

Finally, I believe the Avs are in a good position if Sakic signs, with cap room for Forsberg or an offensive d-man later on.

Old
08-17-2008, 08:16 PM
LTC Pain

Quote:
I'm thinking Drury for Clark, a pick and a prospect. Then we can trade Arnason for a cheaper, true seventh d-man.
Oh, hell no on the Drury proposal. Yes, for anything we can get for Arnason!!!

LTC Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 02:50 AM
18Mike18

I wanted Drury to come back so bad.
Drury>Smyth

but Avs cant handle Drurys contract
Stastny RFA after this season.

and please trade Arny, or minors.

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote