HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarkko Immonen

Old
08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Jarkko Immonen

What are the chances to see him back in the NHL?

When could it be and what impact could he have?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post

kinda shocked that some team did not sign him, he had good ahl stats and did well when he was in the NHL. i still rather have him than betts on the 4th line. immonen was still good defensivly while adding more offense. i doubt his skating was an issue.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
kinda shocked that some team did not sign him, he had good ahl stats and did well when he was in the NHL. i still rather have him than betts on the 4th line. immonen was still good defensivly while adding more offense. i doubt his skating was an issue.
His skating most definitely was an issue. He wasn't a terrible skater, but he wasn't fast enough for what the Rangers wanted in a top 6 forward, maybe even for a 3rd line center. And there's no way he was going to stick around for 4th line duty when he could go back to Finland and probably get paid well and play 1st line minutes

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If he comes back to the NHL, it won't be with the Rangers. If he wants to be a little fish in a very big pond, then he'll take the pay cut and come back--although I doubt he'd ever be more than a 3rd liner over here. It's also possible that he would rather be much more prominent player, in which case, he stays where he is.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
ThisYearsModel

Too slow. He'll have a nice career in Europe.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I doubt we see Jarkko come back. He's one of those players who is better in Europe than in the NHL, sort of like Ville Peltonen (or, dare I say it, Saku Koivu, who's a superstar on the big ice). He might make a team that is really looking for playmaking talent, but I doubt he'd play a major role for a contender at this point anymore. Pity, because I really liked him.

About his pay: in absolute terms, I doubt he's making all that much more in Finland than he'd make in the NHL. Finland is a pretty small country, afterall...

This thread reminds me: what happened to Padawan? He's never around anymore, and not just on the Rangers board.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I doubt we see Jarkko come back. He's one of those players who is better in Europe than in the NHL, sort of like Ville Peltonen (or, dare I say it, Saku Koivu, who's a superstar on the big ice). He might make a team that is really looking for playmaking talent, but I doubt he'd play a major role for a contender at this point anymore. Pity, because I really liked him.

About his pay: in absolute terms, I doubt he's making all that much more in Finland than he'd make in the NHL. Finland is a pretty small country, afterall...

This thread reminds me: what happened to Padawan? He's never around anymore, and not just on the Rangers board.
He's much more likely to pick up some money doing endorsements (I'll always have fond memories of Adam Graves hawking Bay Ridge Honda/Volvo) and will be able to speak (and hear) Finnish every day--not to mention be allowed to increase the temp enough to make it a real Finnish Sauna. And that may be enough.

Old
08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
He's much more likely to pick up some money doing endorsements (I'll always have fond memories of Adam Graves hawking Bay Ridge Honda/Volvo) and will be able to speak (and hear) Finnish every day--not to mention be allowed to increase the temp enough to make it a real Finnish Sauna. And that may be enough.
You just hit the nail on the head there! You have no idea how annoyed I am with the stupid laws in the US that don't allow you to heat a sauna up properly. I think they don't allow you to put it over 65șC. A sauna doesn't count unless it's over 80șC at minimum!

Now THAT'S worth emigrating for.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yeap, no chance for him, ya gotta be a speed demon to make it in this league apparently.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
none. impact doesn't describe Jarkko Immonen in the slightest. he can keep up with the play, but not contribute to it.

if he would have played a longer tenure with the Rangers, fans would have grown tired of him. guarantee it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
His skating most definitely was an issue. He wasn't a terrible skater, but he wasn't fast enough for what the Rangers wanted in a top 6 forward, maybe even for a 3rd line center. And there's no way he was going to stick around for 4th line duty when he could go back to Finland and probably get paid well and play 1st line minutes
plus the Rangers already have a much better 4th line center.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Immonen was a dud. Had some pretty good playmaking ability, but it often looked like he was skating in sand out there.

That Leetch trade may have changed the face of the franchise and began a movement in the right direction, but the two prospects we got from Toronto (Immonen and Kondratiev) turned out to be trash. The two draft picks we received, which I believe turned into Korpikoski and Sauer, may turn out OK but that remains to be seen. Still think we couldve gotten a better haul for Leetch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

i was there when he scored his first career goal, and i thought we had some great young talent there

guess it just wouldnt work out here

he'll probobly play in europe his whole career

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
You just hit the nail on the head there! You have no idea how annoyed I am with the stupid laws in the US that don't allow you to heat a sauna up properly. I think they don't allow you to put it over 65șC. A sauna doesn't count unless it's over 80șC at minimum!

Now THAT'S worth emigrating for.
I gave up on public saunas in this country--it's just not worth it at 140F. My dream is to build a wood sauna upstate somewhere, right next to a lake (OK, I'd settle for a nice clean pond).

Old
08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

0 and 0

He doesn't have the food speed. I wished and I hoped for this guy, but I don't think it's ever going to happen in the NHL for him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
he's done
He's gone
Thank god we didn't trade to make room for him!

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:19 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
I gave up on public saunas in this country--it's just not worth it at 140F. My dream is to build a wood sauna upstate somewhere, right next to a lake (OK, I'd settle for a nice clean pond).
It's not just the public saunas. A friend of mine's dad, who is German, wanted to install one in his house. The Swedish guy who was selling them told him that he wasn't allowed to let it go over 65șC or something like that, but that he could show him how to "bypass" the limiter. My friend's dad decided he didn't want to buy something that he would have to break in order for it to work properly.

Of course, if you build your own, perhaps that wouldn't be an issue. If you ever do, can I come and give it a try, too..?

I'll be in Finland next week for just a few days. We'll see how many saunas I can take in that period.

Old
08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
It's not just the public saunas. A friend of mine's dad, who is German, wanted to install one in his house. The Swedish guy who was selling them told him that he wasn't allowed to let it go over 65șC or something like that, but that he could show him how to "bypass" the limiter. My friend's dad decided he didn't want to buy something that he would have to break in order for it to work properly.

Of course, if you build your own, perhaps that wouldn't be an issue. If you ever do, can I come and give it a try, too..?

I'll be in Finland next week for just a few days. We'll see how many saunas I can take in that period.
That's why I want a wood sauna--how can you "regulate" the temp then, have the wood police show up when you throw an extra log on the fire?

One thing I do wonder about, is whether 120 voltage can handle the juice needed to get the temp over 65C. I know in Finland electric saunas can go up to (and a little over) 80C, maybe the 220 voltage is the reason?

Either way, have fun. Lucky it's not snowing yet (my Finnish friends made me roll in the snow one winter).

Old
08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
That's why I want a wood sauna--how can you "regulate" the temp then, have the wood police show up when you throw an extra log on the fire?

One thing I do wonder about, is whether 120 voltage can handle the juice needed to get the temp over 65C. I know in Finland electric saunas can go up to (and a little over) 80C, maybe the 220 voltage is the reason?

Either way, have fun. Lucky it's not snowing yet (my Finnish friends made me roll in the snow one winter).
That's an interesting question. I had never actually thought of that, I honestly have no idea.

It's not snowing, but apparently it's been the coldest summer in years. The worst I've done is gone from a 90șC sauna to an 11șC swim in the sea. I might equal that this year...

Old
08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Ah summertime in Finland, you never know what the weather will be like. Hopefully it will clear up just for you. Have a great time (and don't worry, it's August, the lake will probably be at least 14-15C).

Old
08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
You 'Orns!

Thanks! Unfortunately, our summer house is on an island, so I'll be swimming in the Baltic!