HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jeff Carter

Old
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
All_blueandwhite

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter

Being paid 5 mil to center the 3rd line, and lot's of teams could be interested in a 1st line center.

what would it take to get him from philly?

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Nothing. As a Vancouver fan with many Jeff Carter fantasies (hockey fantasies damnit!), he won't be moved.

At least, I don't see why he would be moved. Even if it means converting someone to the wing, even if it means letting Carter get stuck on the third line, I don't see them moving him anytime soon.

Technically it would be a good idea if they got an awesome return, since Carter's value is probably at an all-time high with the way he finished off last year, but I get the feeling Philly won't trade him. I assume a stud d-man would get it done though, were he to be dealt.

But I'm a Canucks fan, I am just blindly guessing, I am sure Flyers fans can give a better opinion.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
BringBackStevens

The whole "5 million for a 3rd line center" thing is getting pretty annoying. Check out TOI statistics and get back to me. The Flyers don't have a 3rd line

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

It would take a #1 pairing D-guy. No doubt.

If either Carter or Briere move, I suspect it'll be for a #1 pairing D guy and a 3rd line center for one of those centers and a D or wing prospect. They have a TON of depth already in their NHL lineup on the wing,and a lot of prospects that are maybe a little below bourdon was at.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Accordingly to a good majority of my fellow Flyers fans, he is now untouchable, as silly as that is.

I mean, I've been told that there's no way we move him in a deal for J-Bo. Apparently, a potential franchise Dman does not carry the proper value to pry Carter loose.

So yea, if J-Bo ain't enough to get Carter, then I can't imagine what it is.

Just for the record, if Carter could get us J-Bo, I'd give Jeff a piggyback ride all the way to Florida.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Pringles

I hope they don't move him, rolling 3 scoring lines is great to watch, they should keep as many of those 20+ goal scorers as they can.

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Kaktus*

overpayment.

If Jeff scores 60pts next season (he socred 53pts last season so 60 is not out of the question, just a reasonable improvement) I do not think Flyers should move him at all.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
the flyers having 3 talented scoring centers is their strength. you'd have to vastly improve a weakness for them to trade from their biggest advantage.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
the flyers having 3 talented scoring centers is their strength. you'd have to vastly improve a weakness for them to trade from their biggest advantage.
And J-Bo doesn't vastly improve the defense? Hello?

The whole point of trading is to deal from strength to shore up a weakness.

What is so hard to understand here?

Old
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
overpayment.

If Jeff scores 60pts next season (he socred 53pts last season so 60 is not out of the question, just a reasonable improvement) I do not think Flyers should move him at all.
So a 60 point center shouldn't be moved for a top pairing Dman?

Give your head a shake...

Old
08-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
So a 60 point center shouldn't be moved for a top pairing Dman?

Give your head a shake...

IMO nope. 23 years old center who is 6'3, 210-220lbs and does not play quality minutes with quality linemates would be really dumb to give up especially right now. Homer signed, drafted and traded for d-men, lets hope he is right about 2 of them. I do not think we are ready to make this kind of trade. In 2 years from now this team is going to be a power house once Giroux and JVR arrive. then we will talk about a trade. Most of our core is between 23-26 years old which is awesome. We are not in a position to give up that much talent in one place to get same amount of talent on the other. Even know we really needed.

We have 2 top paring d-men one is Timonen and one is improving Coburn. Solid #3 is MIA.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-07-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old
08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
IMO nope. 23 years old center who is 6'3, 210-220lbs and does not play quality minutes with quality linemates would be really dumb to give up especially right now. Homer signed, drafted and traded for d-men, lets hope he is right about 2 of them. I do not think we are ready to make this kind of trade. In 2 years from now this team is going to be a power house once Giroux and JVR arrive. then we will talk about a trade. Most of our core is between 23-26 years old which is awesome.

We have 2 top paring d-men one is Timonen and one is improving Coburn. Solid #3 is MIA.
C'mon.....Jay Bouwmeester is easily worth more than Jeff Carter. Bouwmeester > Timonen and Coburn. [And he's only improving]

EDIT- And yes, for one year only.......

That would easily make Flyers the top contenders in the league. With the defense of:

Timonen-Coburn
Bouwmeester-Hatcher***
Jones-Parent
Kukkonen

*** Not sure about Hatcher Situation

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
It would take a #1 pairing D-guy. No doubt.

If either Carter or Briere move, I suspect it'll be for a #1 pairing D guy and a 3rd line center for one of those centers and a D or wing prospect. They have a TON of depth already in their NHL lineup on the wing,and a lot of prospects that are maybe a little below bourdon was at.
a top pairing dman + 3rd line center + prospect for briere or carter

are you out of your mind. no one would ever pay that for briere, let alone carter

a top pairing dman will get carter. a top pairing dman + prospect will get briere

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
C'mon.....Jay Bouwmeester is easily worth more than Jeff Carter. Bouwmeester > Timonen and Coburn. [And he's only improving]
I do not disagree with anything and I have the same opinion. Yes he is very good and I woudl love to have him but I rather wait another year. We are NOT giving up Carter when we trade for Jay. That is not what I am saying. This is a good trade but I rather keep it the way it is and see hoow it goes for at least 2 more years. I have faith in Homer because I think he knows what he is doing. He sees the problem and he address it right away long term the right way not like good old Bobby.

Richards, Carter, Lupul, Brire, Gagne, Timonen, Hartnell and hopefully Coburn all signed long term is my dream come true. Parent, Giroux, JVR, Downie and Sbisa in 2 years.. Flyers must build from within and we are doing it.

but I do not think we are ready for this type of trade. I rather wait another year. We are only getting better.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-07-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
IMO nope. 23 years old center who is 6'3, 210-220lbs and does not play quality minutes with quality linemates would be really dumb to give up especially right now. Homer signed, drafted and traded for d-men, lets hope he is right about 2 of them. I do not think we are ready to make this kind of trade. In 2 years from now this team is going to be a power house once Giroux and JVR arrive. then we will talk about a trade. Most of our core is between 23-26 years old which is awesome.

That's cool. I respect your opinion. I don't agree with you, but I respect where you're coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carter. Alot. I like the fact that we have a good young core, and Jeff is a big part of that. No argument there.

I just believe that Dmen like J-Bo are the hardest commodity to acquire, save for elite goaltenders. If you have a chance to move a guy like Carter for a guy like J-Bo, then I say you do it. Add in the fact that J-Bo is already a top-10 defenseman in this league (my opinion), and that he is only 24 years old and would fit in with our young core, and I see it as a no-brainer. Just my take.

But again, I do respect the fact that you disagree. Let's hope that whatever shakes out, that it's in the best interests of the Flyers.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
ELab2

Shadow, I think there are a lot of Flyers fans who don't think that Homer would trade Carter for Bouwmeester. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has more value. I don't think there are many people AT ALL who think that Bouwmeester in a player to player swap has less value than Carter unless your REALLY nervous about him walking to FA.

And as far as the OP goes, we're talking about a YOUNG top-pairing dman at this point.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
That's cool. I respect your opinion. I don't agree with you, but I respect where you're coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carter. Alot. I like the fact that we have a good young core, and Jeff is a big part of that. No argument there.
Once again Jay-Bo is simply great. I love how he plays the game of hockey.

Quote:
I just believe that Dmen like J-Bo are the hardest commodity to acquire, save for elite goaltenders. If you have a chance to move a guy like Carter for a guy like J-Bo, then I say you do it. Add in the fact that J-Bo is already a top-10 defenseman in this league (my opinion), and that he is only 24 years old and would fit in with our young core, and I see it as a no-brainer. Just my take.
Carter is 37th in goals in his 3rd year scoring 29 goals playing with likes of Upshall and Knuble. His game is almost complete and when I say that I meant both on O. D, PK. If he breaks 30 and scores 31 (all I am asking is 2 more goals) he becomes 26th

Quote:
But again, I do respect the fact that you disagree. Let's hope that whatever shakes out, that it's in the best interests of the Flyers.
Jay-Bo for Carter and Flyers win this deal but I honestly do not want it. Like I said, hopefully Homer made the right decision about Eminger, Vaanannen, as well as drafting Bodrov (ok ok Clarke drafted him), Marshall and Sbisa. Lets see how it works out and go from there.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Hey Kaktus...

I completely understand where you're coming from. We just disagree, and that's cool. The world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything.

I do apologize if I came off like a sarcastic lil' turd. That's just me being...well, me

Old
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Hey Kaktus...

I completely understand where you're coming from. We just disagree, and that's cool. The world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything.

I do apologize if I came off like a sarcastic lil' turd. That's just me being...well, me
Keep it up. I do not mind.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Hehehe, Flyers fans have had this debate about 200x on the forum.

I think J-Bouw is obviously worth more than Carter right now, but the Panthers are over a barrel and at some point, they're going to realize that they're going to have to deal J-Bouw or lose him for nothing, so that will hurt their negotiating stance a little bit.

The Flyers need solid 2nd pairing D, not a franchise guy, it would be pointless to give up Carter especially since Briere will be moving to wing sooner or later.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Hehehe, Flyers fans have had this debate about 200x on the forum.

I think J-Bouw is obviously worth more than Carter right now, but the Panthers are over a barrel and at some point, they're going to realize that they're going to have to deal J-Bouw or lose him for nothing, so that will hurt their negotiating stance a little bit.
Not really.. I bet 15-25 teams would not mind trading for a pplayer like that.. Demand is there for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The Flyers need solid 2nd pairing D, not a franchise guy, it would be pointless to give up Carter especially since Briere will be moving to wing sooner or later.
100% agree with that point.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
If i'm Philly, there is no way this guy moves. He's got size and skill at the pivot. Carter is a franchise C in the making. I'd deal Briere and take less in return, way before I dealt Carter.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Keep it up. I do not mind.
Good! Cause I really can't help it, especially when I forget to take my lil' white pills!

OK, back to my padded cell...

Old
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If i'm Philly, there is no way this guy moves. He's got size and skill at the pivot. Carter is a franchise C in the making. I'd deal Briere and take less in return, way before I dealt Carter.
The problem is you can't move Briere.

And yes, Carter is a potential franchise center. J-Bo is a potential franchise Dman. I guess it all depends on which one you consider more valuable. I can tell you which one is the harder commodity to acquire.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
And J-Bo doesn't vastly improve the defense? Hello?

The whole point of trading is to deal from strength to shore up a weakness.

What is so hard to understand here?

umm, did i say i wouldn't trade him for Jbo? i was merely responding to what the OP asked: what jeff carter's value is.

the thing with acquiring JBo is that he's worth more than Carter. if it were a straight up deal, i'd do it in a heartbeat. but to get bouwmeester, the flyers would have to pony up carter, decent prospect, 1st round pick, not to mention some additional salary to pay for Jbo's extension (hopefully) and carter's replacement. i just don't see it as a realistic outcome of events.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote