HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin Rumors and Discussion Part X

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
  #151
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
they have a need for Sundin, and aren't far from being a decent team.
They have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'amour up the middle. Is there another team in the league outside of the Penguins that are as solid up the middle as the Carolina Hurricanes?

What are you talking about?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
  #152
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
They have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'amour up the middle. Is there another team in the league outside of the Penguins that are as solid up the middle as the Carolina Hurricanes?

What are you talking about?
Drury/Gomez, Briere/M. Richards, Ribeiro/B. Richards, Datsyuk/Zetterberg (probably both centers this year), Jokinen/Mueller, Savard/Bergeron, etc.

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 11:21 AM
  #153
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Drury/Gomez, Briere/M. Richards, Ribeiro/B. Richards, Datsyuk/Zetterberg (probably both centers this year), Jokinen/Mueller, Savard/Bergeron, etc.
Plekanec/Koivu?

CH4 is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
  #154
Bobby G
Registered User
 
Bobby G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,745
vCash: 500
muhahaha I have kicked the Sundin drug, don't remember the last time I was in this thread or checked hockeybuzz or anything. Pity the fool still waiting on Mats.

Bobby G is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
  #155
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Fail

The correct answer is 30%

As in the Sundin Epic Threads are 30% as good as the Hossa Epic Threads.
I was refering to the whole "this is not the Habs 100th season " reference.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Carolina, Montreal, Ottawa.

In that order.
Oh Mr. Prediction, I made this same comment like weeks ago and I got the answer below :


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Carolina are already at nearly 50M$ and I am sure that they have a internal cap lower than 56M$. Plus they need defenseman, not a other forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Brindy tore his ACL around the trade deadline and had surgery on it. Despite his conditioning, there's no guarantee that he'll be able to step back in with 23 minutes a game.

They traded Cole for a defenseman.

They missed winning their division last year by one win.

They went from rock bottom in terms of attendance (65%) before the lockout to being middle of the pack the past 3 seasons (85%-90%).

So they're pretty much stable financially, they have a need for Sundin, and aren't far from being a decent team.

Given how barren their prospect system is, investing in Sundin would be a very smart move for the franchise.

Yet you still don't get it. The Canes have an internal cap of about 45 mil and they are already over it by 2-3 mil. It's not about investing when they know they won't have the money to keep the team out of the red no matter if they have better attendance or not. What you don't seem to understand is that even though their attendance is not so bad, they are still tight and can't go over as much as you think.

On another note, Ottawa is in the exact same situation as Detroit and New York. They have Meszaros to sign and that will put them at about 3 mil left in cap space. They'll have to jump through hoops to make the necessary space to sign him if Sundin is truly intent on getting more than 7 mil. Both New York and Ottawa are stuck in this situation because any move they make to get space will make them less of a contender then they already would be. Both teams are stuck with high-end players without much depth. This does not bode well if they want to make space for Sundin. They also have many players with NTCs and NMCs, and many players who've just signed contracts, trading one of those players will look bad for them the next time the FA market opens as players are gonna be reluctant from signing with a team that is liable to turn its back on them.

All in all, I still include them as 'might-be' surprises, but I think Colorado might be a safer bet, along with Montreal.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
  #156
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Drury/Gomez, Briere/M. Richards, Ribeiro/B. Richards, Datsyuk/Zetterberg (probably both centers this year), Jokinen/Mueller, Savard/Bergeron, etc.
Seriously?

I'm gonna throw out the Detroit duo, because they've never served as the Red Wings #1 and #2 centers, but you would take all those other duos over Staal and Brind'amour?

To each their own.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
  #157
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
muhahaha I have kicked the Sundin drug, don't remember the last time I was in this thread or checked hockeybuzz or anything. Pity the fool still waiting on Mats.
You're in denial.....or else you wouldn't be here.

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
  #158
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Seriously?

I'm gonna throw out the Detroit duo, because they've never served as the Red Wings #1 and #2 centers, but you would take all those other duos over Staal and Brind'amour?

To each their own.
I'm pretty sure they did but not last season.

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
  #159
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I'm pretty sure they did but not last season.
If not last season, when? Two years ago, Zetterberg was playing left wing and Robert Lang was centering the second line. The year before that, Lang was there as well and so was Steve Yzerman.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg were never #1 and #2 centers there.


Either way, the point is, how can someone say the Hurricanes "have a need" for Mats Sundin when they have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'amour?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
  #160
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
They have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'amour up the middle. Is there another team in the league outside of the Penguins that are as solid up the middle as the Carolina Hurricanes?

What are you talking about?
They need to win now. They have absolutely nothing in the farm except for a couple of potential #2-#3 centers and a #3-4 D-man.

Another year or two without a playoff appearance and you can bet that attendance will drop below 80%.

With Sundin that team is a shoe-in for the playoffs and revenue from one series alone would cover a third to half his salary.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
  #161
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
They need to win now. They have absolutely nothing in the farm except for a couple of potential #2-#3 centers and a #3-4 D-man.

Another year or two without a playoff appearance and you can bet that attendance will drop below 80%.

With Sundin that team is a shoe-in for the playoffs and revenue from one series alone would cover a third to half his salary.
None of that changes the fact they already have two first line centers on the team.

Why on earth would they shell out to acquire a 37 year old first line center?

How does that help?

Where does he play?

What's the point?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:11 PM
  #162
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
None of that changes the fact they already have two first line centers on the team.

Why on earth would they shell out to acquire a 37 year old first line center?

How does that help?

Where does he play?

What's the point?
Brindamour is coming off reconstructive knee surgery at 38. Staal and his 44% faceoff percentage can move to wing. And Cullen is a number #3, last season was an anomaly.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
  #163
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
They need to win now. They have absolutely nothing in the farm except for a couple of potential #2-#3 centers and a #3-4 D-man.

Another year or two without a playoff appearance and you can bet that attendance will drop below 80%.

With Sundin that team is a shoe-in for the playoffs and revenue from one series alone would cover a third to half his salary.
Not at the prices they charge. They are among the cheapest ticket prices in the league.

As well the move out of Greensborough and to Raleigh Durham has coincided with their rise in attendance. Greensborough knew they had a lame duck franchise while Raleigh was building the arena. Can't blame the people for not going when they were there.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
  #164
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Brindamour is coming off reconstructive knee surgery at 38. Staal and his 44% faceoff percentage can move to wing. And Cullen is a number #3, last season was an anomaly.
Eric Staal moved to the wing so two 38 year olds can center the top two lines.

Great idea.

Just brilliant.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
  #165
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Eric Staal moved to the wing so two 38 year olds can center the top two lines.

Great idea.

Just brilliant.
I forgot... I don't live in the video game world like you where once a player changes position, you can't change him back until the next offseason.

BigTimer* is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 01:56 PM
  #166
Daniel Bigras
 
Daniel Bigras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Oh, this is funny.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules...icle&sid=10588

French canadians are different than canadiens?

That's why Sundin will not come to Montreal?

I thought he was swedish.

How many ex-Leafs played from Montreal and vice versa, in our all history?

Many. Frank Mahovlich is a perfect exemple, in a time of great tremors in the Quebec province, the separatist movement was pretty big in 1970. Sure, he played a few years in Detroit before, but still, he's a Leaf icon, like Sundin.

And that 'french canadians are diffrent'. Oh my.

That's funny in Canada. We are a country with people originating a few hundred miles from each other's original countries (France and England), but we are SO different.

While in the United States, you have so many states with HIGHLY different cultures and people, like mormons, cubans, texans, mexicans, irish, etc.. People coming from countries and cultures continents appart, but they are still getting along, living in the same country and you never hear about separation movements.

We are not THAT different, but we should be getting along perfectly.

IMHO, not because a player played for another Canadian team it should matter. On the contrary, if Canadian teams would help each other a bit more, the cup would have been won more often up here than down there.

Daniel Bigras is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
  #167
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Oh, this is funny.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules...icle&sid=10588

French canadians are different than canadiens?

That's why Sundin will not come to Montreal?

I thought he was swedish.

How many ex-Leafs played from Montreal and vice versa, in our all history?

Many. Frank Mahovlich is a perfect exemple, in a time of great tremors in the Quebec province, the separatist movement was pretty big in 1970. Sure, he played a few years in Detroit before, but still, he's a Leaf icon, like Sundin.

And that 'french canadians are diffrent'. Oh my.

That's funny in Canada. We are a country with people originating a few hundred miles from each other's original countries (France and England), but we are SO different.

While in the United States, you have so many states with HIGHLY different cultures and people, like mormons, cubans, texans, mexicans, irish, etc.. People coming from countries and cultures continents appart, but they are still getting along, living in the same country and you never hear about separation movements.

We are not THAT different, but we should be getting along perfectly.

IMHO, not because a player played for another Canadian team it should matter. On the contrary, if Canadian teams would help each other a bit more, the cup would have been won more often up here than down there.
Sundin played in Quebec City.... that post is out to lunch.... its also not a rumor site recognized here.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
  #168
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I forgot... I don't live in the video game world like you where once a player changes position, you can't change him back until the next offseason.
What???

That is the weakest and dumbest video game comparison I've ever heard.

You can actually change their position anytime you want in ALL the hockey video games, you can even put a forward on the defense and he'll perform as well as any other defensemen of the same overall. Same goes with wingers and centers, and they'll perform as well, and this is actually indicative that you are the one living in a video game, fully assuming that Staal will play well on the wing, which is not a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Oh, this is funny.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules...icle&sid=10588

French canadians are different than canadiens?

That's why Sundin will not come to Montreal?

I thought he was swedish.

How many ex-Leafs played from Montreal and vice versa, in our all history?

Many. Frank Mahovlich is a perfect exemple, in a time of great tremors in the Quebec province, the separatist movement was pretty big in 1970. Sure, he played a few years in Detroit before, but still, he's a Leaf icon, like Sundin.

And that 'french canadians are diffrent'. Oh my.

That's funny in Canada. We are a country with people originating a few hundred miles from each other's original countries (France and England), but we are SO different.

While in the United States, you have so many states with HIGHLY different cultures and people, like mormons, cubans, texans, mexicans, irish, etc.. People coming from countries and cultures continents appart, but they are still getting along, living in the same country and you never hear about separation movements.

We are not THAT different, but we should be getting along perfectly.

IMHO, not because a player played for another Canadian team it should matter. On the contrary, if Canadian teams would help each other a bit more, the cup would have been won more often up here than down there.

That article must've been written by some inbred who never even once set foot in Montreal. First off, the province itself has a a strong percentage of people with French and English Irish roots, not many people realize how much of the Irish gene is flowing in Quebec, evenmore so in Montreal. Then there are the Italians, Jews and Chinese who've been immigrating here for decades now. And we now have a strong contingent of Arabs, Hindous, Mexicans and Portugese living here. Montreal is a strong multicultural city, more so than a lot of American cities outside of the big ones like LA, NY, Frisco and Miami. A lot of French people in Montreal aren't even concerned anymore about the ol feud between the two dominant language.

What a tart.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-14-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Ozymandias is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
  #169
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,029
vCash: 500
So Rangers are a sleeper in a possible Sundin acquisition???? That's obviously not my definition of a sleeper....everybody expects the Rangers to make some kind of try to have him. Doesn't mean it will happen, it doesn't even mean it makes sense but nobody will be surprised that much to see the Rangers going for him....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
  #170
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,364
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So Rangers are a sleeper in a possible Sundin acquisition???? That's obviously not my definition of a sleeper....everybody expects the Rangers to make some kind of try to have him. Doesn't mean it will happen, it doesn't even mean it makes sense but nobody will be surprised that much to see the Rangers going for him....
Yeah the only way the Rangers could be considered a "sleeper" choice. Would be if you only look at their team salary and how close they are to the salary cap. But with some of the moves they've made in the last few years, it shouldn't surprise anyone if they are able to sign Sundin.

__________________
This is not a time to say goodbye. This is a time to say 'thank you'.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:33 PM
  #171
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yeah the only way the Rangers could be considered a "sleeper" choice. Would be if you only look at their team salary and how close they are to the salary cap. But with some of the moves they've made in the last few years, it shouldn't surprise anyone if they are able to sign Sundin.
That would be very dumb of them.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
  #172
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,364
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That would be very dumb of them.
lol..You don't have to tell me, but it wouldn't be the first dumb move Sather has made as the GM of the Rags.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
  #173
Daniel Bigras
 
Daniel Bigras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Sundin played in Quebec City.... that post is out to lunch.... its also not a rumor site recognized here.
Well, it's just an example of the kind of schmocks exists in Canada regarding the province of Quebec. But we have a few here as well. :-)

It was an article with some facts, but also with some questionable opinions.

We can only discuss articles from paid/known journalists? Sorry if I missed that rule.

Daniel Bigras is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  #174
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol..You don't have to tell me, but it wouldn't be the first dumb move Sather has made as the GM of the Rags.
Yeah, but that would be kinda right up there, worst than all the other moves.

I mean, who is he gonna trade? They don't have much depth, they can't trade actually one of the 6 guys they signed this past July. Would they also trade one of the two guys they traded for? So that leaves Drury or Gomez they signed last summer. It would give NY a very bad name on the FA market, and Drury has a full NMC and he's the one of the two they would need to trade. And both of them are hitting their prime, have both signed with NY because they are Americans and wanted to play in NY. For a guy whose only gonna be there for 1-2 seasons at best??? Also, Sather would need to trade any one of those players for young players or picks as they need to make the cap space, this would add to headache of creating chemistry, because we would now be talking about more than 8 new players on the roster. The only logical reason I think Sather would do this is to not let any other eastern team get Sundin, especially the Habs, as the Rangers would surely not be on the same footing as Ottawa, Montreal or Carolina if they would sign Sundin. Substraction by addition.


Last edited by Ozymandias: 08-14-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Ozymandias is offline  
Old
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
  #175
Daniel Bigras
 
Daniel Bigras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That article must've been written by some inbred who never even once set foot in Montreal. First off, the province itself has a a strong percentage of people with French and English Irish roots, not many people realize how much of the Irish gene is flowing in Quebec, evenmore so in Montreal. Then there are the Italians, Jews and Chinese who've been immigrating here for decades now. And we now have a strong contingent of Arabs, Hindous, Mexicans and Portugese living here. Montreal is a strong multicultural city, more so than a lot of American cities outside of the big ones like LA, NY, Frisco and Miami. A lot of French people in Montreal aren't even concerned anymore about the ol feud between the two dominant language.

What a tart.
Well, coming from here, I'm afraid I have to disagree that Montreal is so multicultural. I think Toronto is a better example. In my opinion, too many times Montreal is a bunch of cultural ghettos not mingling very well together. In Toronto, from the many visits I've done, the cultures are not as ghetto all the time. I'm sure there are some, but from what I've seen, they seem to integrate more with the english canadian culture. It's not rare that you hear that a family is losing their original language a little bit because all they speak is english.

It's rare that you see that in Montreal, that they are losing their original language beause they speak too much french.

But let's not get into this, I don't want to get suspended.

Beakermania's point is very good. He played for the Nordiques as well. Maybe Sundin should sign with Boston, like this he would play for the 3 teams we hate the most.

Althought I loved the Bruins last season.

But that article made me, kinda, lose faith in the possibilities of seeing Sundin in Montreal.

Daniel Bigras is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.