HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mats Sundin and Pittsburgh?

Old
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

vCash: 500
Mats Sundin and Pittsburgh?

I'm sorry if this was brought up before, butt *** are the chances Sundin signs with a team like Pittsburgh? Or do you see him returning to the Leafs?

I've always admired Sundin the man and believe he's a model player.

Mancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Unless the Penguins unload Sydor's 2.5 mil AND Sundin takes about 5 million less than he'll get AND he wants to play wing, he's not coming here.

0% chance IMO.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

To the OP, where would you see him fitting in on our roster?

As WJH19 said, not only would we need to offload salary AND convince him to sign for way below market value, he'd need to be happy playing on a wing.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Sundin to Pittsburgh makes perfect sense, since the Penguins aren't very deep down the middle.....

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
WeezyHabFan

Pittsburgh has alot of cap room and not too many centers... its perfect :O

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
EkLOLund

I could see Sundin pulling a ''Hossa'' by signing in Detroit for 2.5 million a year as I think he really wants to hoist the cup before he retires.

The lineup would be:

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom
Franzen - Sundin - Hossa

EkLOLund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik313 View Post
I could see Sundin pulling a ''Hossa'' by signing in Detroit for 2.5 million a year as I think he really wants to hoist the cup before he retires.

The lineup would be:

Franzen - Sundin - Hossa

Yeah, makes perfect sense, except for the part where Sundin or his agent publicly announced Sundin won't go to Detroit, because they don't need him to win, and he wants to be an integral part of the team he signs with.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik313 View Post

The lineup would be:

Franzen - Sundin - Hossa

Impossible...the Wings have less than $1 million to spend. They might try to move a player to free up some room but they won't be adding anyone.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Unless the Penguins unload Sydor's 2.5 mil AND Sundin takes about 5 million less than he'll get AND he wants to play wing, he's not coming here.

0% chance IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
To the OP, where would you see him fitting in on our roster?

As WJH19 said, not only would we need to offload salary AND convince him to sign for way below market value, he'd need to be happy playing on a wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Sundin to Pittsburgh makes perfect sense, since the Penguins aren't very deep down the middle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
Pittsburgh has alot of cap room and not too many centers... its perfect :O
What they said.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

Thanks for responding. Flame me more if you like, but I'm a big fan of Sundin and I hope he isn't retired, yet. GO PENS!

Mancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:28 AM
Fraction Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organist View Post
Thanks for responding. Flame me more if you like, but I'm a big fan of Sundin and I hope he isn't retired, yet. GO PENS!
I'm not going to flame you specifically, but you have to admit that a move to Pittsburgh makes almost no sense for both Sundin and the Penguins. This thread is silly, but that's okay - lots of threads are silly.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
I'm not going to flame you specifically, but you have to admit that a move to Pittsburgh makes almost no sense for both Sundin and the Penguins.
Although I agree that there's about a 1% chance of this happening, why do you say that?

For obvious reasons like that we're loaded at center and close to the cap, I get, but if it could happen, I'd definitely be in favor of it. If we could move Sydor and get Sundin to accept much less than he's worth, he could play on Crosby's left wing.

He's obviously looking to go somewhere where he has a good shot at winning a cup rather than make the most money, otherwise he would have accepted the $20 million over two years the Canucks offered him, no?

Sundin-Crosby-Satan
Pesonen-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Staal-Talbot

If he wants a cup, I'd love to see where else he'd have a better shot. IMO, that'd be well worth the pay cut. It'd sure be a shame to see such a great player never get to hoist it.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Although I agree that there's about a 1% chance of this happening, why do you say that?

For obvious reasons like that we're loaded at center and close to the cap, I get, but if it could happen, I'd definitely be in favor of it. If we could move Sydor and get Sundin to accept much less than he's worth, he could play on Crosby's left wing.

He's obviously looking to go somewhere where he has a good shot at winning a cup rather than make the most money, otherwise he would have accepted the $20 million over two years the Canucks offered him, no?

Sundin-Crosby-Satan
Pesonen-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Staal-Talbot

If he wants a cup, I'd love to see where else he'd have a better shot. IMO, that'd be well worth the pay cut. It'd sure be a shame to see such a great player never get to hoist it.
Sundin isn't a left wing, and Detroit with the addition of Hossa obviously has a better shot.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
Sundin isn't a left wing
Where did I say he was? Please read my post before saying things like this.
Quote:
Detroit with the addition of Hossa obviously has a better shot.
Once again, please read my post before saying things like this. Sundin already said that he isn't going to Detroit. So besides them, which team has the best shot at the cup next season with the addition of him to their lineup?

Old
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Levizk

Quote:

If we could move Sydor and get Sundin to accept much less than he's worth, he could play on Crosby's left wing.

Sundin-Crosby-Satan
Pesonen-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Staal-Talbot

Quote:
Where did I say he was? Please read my post before saying things like this.

Once again, please read my post before saying things like this. Sundin already said that he isn't going to Detroit. So besides them, which team has the best shot at the cup next season with the addition of him to their lineup?
Unless the word left wing means center in different areas of the city, I'm pretty sure I read your post correctly. If Sundin isn't going to Detroit because he won't be the man there, then why would he come into a situation with Malkin and Crosby? As for which team has the best shot at a cup outside of Detroit you could make a case for Montreal, Dallas, San Jose and Anaheim pretty easily.

Old
08-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Unless the word left wing means center in different areas of the city, I'm pretty sure I read your post correctly.
I still don't see where I said he was a left wing. I suggested that he could play left wing on Crosby's line. Orpik played wing for a few games last season, that didn't mean he wasn't still a defensemen.
Quote:
If Sundin isn't going to Detroit because he won't be the man there, then why would he come into a situation with Malkin and Crosby? As for which team has the best shot at a cup outside of Detroit you could make a case for Montreal, Dallas, San Jose and Anaheim pretty easily.
He wouldn't be the man on any of those teams either. All four of them also have their top two line centers set, so he'd be playing wing no matter what.

Also, the Pens are the team that easily made it to the finals last season, so technically they have a better chance than the others you mentioned.

Another thing; Anaheim is over the cap--without Selanne, and San Jose and Dallas are closer to the cap than we are right now.

Old
08-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Levizk

Quote:
I still don't see where I said he was a left wing. I suggested that he could play left wing on Crosby's line. Orpik played wing for a few games last season, that didn't mean he wasn't still a defensemen.

He wouldn't be the man on any of those teams either. All four of them also have their top two line centers set, so he'd be playing wing no matter what.

Also, the Pens are the team that easily made it to the finals last season, so technically they have a better chance than the others you mentioned.

Another thing; Anaheim is over the cap--without Selanne, and San Jose and Dallas are closer to the cap than we are right now.
You're grasping at straws now, if you're saying he's not a fit with any of those other teams then it's time you admit he's not a fit with the Pens either. Citing the cap as a reason why he couldn't sign with those other teams is silly, because we don't have the cap for him either. When you assume that the Pens can magically find cap room for him, why can't you assume it for others as well?

If you're not saying he's a left wing when you're slotting him there, then why are you even trying to put him in that spot? That's basically slotting someone in so you have a name at a position despite whether he's even going to be effective at it. You're right Orpik did play left wing last season without being a left wing, you've also created a great example as to why just putting a player in a left wing position doesn't mean they are being utilized properly with their skill set. Basically you want Sundin to take extremely less than market value, play at a position he doesn't play, and he'd still be in the same situation that he states as a reason for why he won't play for Detroit. This just doesn't make any sense.

Old
08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organist View Post
I'm sorry if this was brought up before, butt *** are the chances Sundin signs with a team like Pittsburgh? Or do you see him returning to the Leafs?

I've always admired Sundin the man and believe he's a model player.
They have their top 3 centres locked in (Crosby, Malkin, Staal). Those guys shouldn't be moved for Sundin... so Sundin would either have to move back to his native LW, or bump Malkin to LW....though I don't know why you'd move the guy that finished 2nd in points to a position where he's less effective.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
No. Not gonna happen.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Unless the word left wing means center in different areas of the city, I'm pretty sure I read your post correctly. If Sundin isn't going to Detroit because he won't be the man there, then why would he come into a situation with Malkin and Crosby? As for which team has the best shot at a cup outside of Detroit you could make a case for Montreal, Dallas, San Jose and Anaheim pretty easily.
Well Sundin did play on Sakic's LW in Quebec.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Well Sundin did play on Sakic's LW in Quebec.
That was what 14 or 15 years ago? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he'd be terrible at LW, but why would you bring in a top tier center and then put him into a situation where he's less effective? My main point though was why would Sundin even agree to play LW? The guy obviously doesn't want to be seen as someone just coming on for the ride to a cup, and joining a team at whatever spot they'll give you would seem to indicate that's exactly what he'd be doing.

Old
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
That was what 14 or 15 years ago? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he'd be terrible at LW, but why would you bring in a top tier center and then put him into a situation where he's less effective?
Because a less effective Sundin is more than we're going to get from whoever ends up playing on the left side with Crosby.
Quote:
My main point though was why would Sundin even agree to play LW?
Because if he wants to go to a contender, he can't just expect to walk onto any team and take someone's spot at center. I can't think of one team that's considered a contender that doesn't have two top six centers already.
Quote:
The guy obviously doesn't want to be seen as someone just coming on for the ride to a cup, and joining a team at whatever spot they'll give you would seem to indicate that's exactly what he'd be doing.
Why wouldn't he have already signed in Toronto or Vancouver then, if he isn't playing to win a cup?

Old
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Obviously only one person knows Mats' reasoning, but I suspect the list of cons about signing with the Canucks has the ridiculous amount of travel higher than the lower likelyhood of winning the cup compared to a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote