HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Open Hockey first timer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
  #1
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Open Hockey first timer.

I'm going to try out open hockey for the first time tomorrow. What should I expect? I figure I'm going to get mopped with the floor with some of the guys there, but overall it should be fun. To be completely honest, I have no idea what to expect. I'm assuming its like a pick up game in basketball, just show up and get on a team (After paying the fee of course)? Any pointers I should know before heading in, I'm going in blind haha.

Probably the best advice I've heard so far is, "Just ****ing do it." So, I am.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
  #2
RaoulDuke2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
just bring a light and dark jersey. otherwise just have fun - summertime will get you alot of college/junior/hs players, so it could be a fast pace, but around me there's usually a good mix of old and young. most people are pretty cool.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
  #3
southerncross116
Registered User
 
southerncross116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: screening goalies
Country: Australia
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Hi ...

About teams - a lot of times it depends on the rink - I'd seen it done by everyone putting their sticks in a pile and a couple of guys lobbing them out to either end of the ice- other times it is by jersey color - light jerseys vs dark jerseys or some variation of that theme.

I suppose it sort of depends on the crowd your rink attracts too as to what the relative level of play is. In KC where I'd used to live my rink had a specific open hockey time for people that were new or were coming back to it after awhile - and it was very informal.

Sometimes at open hockey they want you to pick a position - like forward or defense - if you are new- I'd probably go with forward -specifically a winger if you have to choose what type. Line changes can be on a rotational basis as well where you sort of line up and as guys come off the ice you just move up the bench until you are next out there...

but I mean honestly the bottom line is to have fun...

wish I were there ...

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:27 PM
  #4
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I'm going to try out open hockey for the first time tomorrow. What should I expect? I figure I'm going to get mopped with the floor with some of the guys there, but overall it should be fun. To be completely honest, I have no idea what to expect. I'm assuming its like a pick up game in basketball, just show up and get on a team (After paying the fee of course)? Any pointers I should know before heading in, I'm going in blind haha.

Probably the best advice I've heard so far is, "Just ****ing do it." So, I am.
Usually the guys just warm up, shoot pucks around, and chatter for a bit until enough people show up.... then they just divide teams and start playing.

I've never played open hockey with a lot of people (or goalies)... so we'd always pull the nets upto the blue line and play 3-passes, or play posts (ring off the post to register a goal).

My advise is to be friendly, share the puck, and don't get frustrated. The whole point is to have fun.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
  #5
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke2k View Post
just bring a light and dark jersey. otherwise just have fun - summertime will get you alot of college/junior/hs players, so it could be a fast pace, but around me there's usually a good mix of old and young. most people are pretty cool.
That's what I care the most about. I can skate backward, but my transition and backward crossovers are weak. I'm just looking to log some playing time and have a good time, if it's cool people not getting too serious, it'll be all good.

The mentioning of three pass and posts got me thinking: I grew up playing roller with guys that'd played ice leagues, so i know hockey. I've just never did it on ice, and organized.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:43 AM
  #6
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Have you ever skated before?

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
  #7
Wease
Registered User
 
Wease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Powell, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Open hockey, or "Drop In" as they call it here in Ohio, is my favorite. No pressure, lots of fun, usually a good pace, and everyone's really friendly. Here we just split it up by jersey color, and if there aren't two goaltenders, we either put the "shooter tutor" in one or both of the nets, or play to hit the post. They are almost 2 hours long here, so you get a decent amount of ice time. I've noticed here in Ohio that the better quality drop in's happen in the summer, as someone said, because a lot of the junior/college/AAA players are home. So really, the summer ones are my favorites. Go and have some fun and let us know how it went...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
  #8
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,742
vCash: 500
Open hockey is a good time to work on stuff, and just have a fun skate. It all depends on the crowd really, youll have a mix of novice guys and really good guys, it really doesn't matter though. Usually the tempo is a lot faster at the beginning I notice, and as a goalie, I notice towards the end it gets a lot more lax and the semi-ok D turns to non-existent as most guys get tired and stuff.

Every time I play open hockey, usually its always a good group, maybe one or two "hot shots" where it seems like they wanna impress everyone with slapshots as hard as they can shoot, always carrying the puck, and dangles on guys who arent even really trying to play that hard of D.

Definitely go out though, you'll have fun. I believe mostly the guy who comes off the bench will inform the next guy coming on what position he was playing, im rarely near the guys on the bench so I never really follow along.


Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 08-14-2008 at 02:09 PM.
PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
  #9
RaoulDuke2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Let us know how it went.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  #10
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Just go out there and have fun.

Bring a light and dark jersey, and go with the flow.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
  #11
Greeneye
Registered User
 
Greeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,693
vCash: 500
I know it's too late but don't take super long shifts.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:41 PM
  #12
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
I know it's too late but don't take super long shifts.
There's usually timed shifts where he'd play. If not then you're looking at 6-10 guys a side for 110 min. You def get enough ice time then

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
  #13
southerncross116
Registered User
 
southerncross116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: screening goalies
Country: Australia
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
I know it's too late but don't take super long shifts.
Or super short shifts --- my first time someone yelled 'get off' (right after I'd gotten on -- I was too much of a noob to understand that the guy was yelling at someone that was taking the 'super long shift' -which does in fact happen all of the time ...

looking back at it now (after about 20 years) - it is kinda funny really

It went like this

"Get Off!!!"
Me - turns around and heads towards the bench ..
the get off guy: "What already? Well Ok."

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
  #14
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Yea well, it got cancelled haha. Great omen, huh? I'm going Monday and maybe Vakar will join in so that's help knowing someone. Unless somoene knows a rink in the Virginia/DC area I could use over the weekend?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:02 AM
  #15
GOONSQUAD
Registered User
 
GOONSQUAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Frederick MD
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Yea well, it got cancelled haha. Great omen, huh? I'm going Monday and maybe Vakar will join in so that's help knowing someone. Unless somoene knows a rink in the Virginia/DC area I could use over the weekend?
there are tons dude

Kettler Ice rink at Ballston Common mall

http://www.kettlercapitalsiceplex.com/

Mount Vernon in Fairfax County Va

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/r...-icehockey.htm

Fort Dupont

http://www.fdia.org/Home.asp

Rinks In Maryland

Cabin John Ice rink
http://www.mc-mncppc.org/parks/enter...ohn/index.shtm

Wheaton Ice Rink

http://www.mc-mncppc.org/parks/enter...ton/index.shtm

THe Gardens Ice house Laurel

http://www.thegardensicehouse.com/home.asp



Rockville ice

http://www.rockvilleicearena.com/



Skate Frederick

http://www.skatefrederick.com/

Thats only to name a few. There are others

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
  #16
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
That's what I care the most about. I can skate backward, but my transition and backward crossovers are weak. I'm just looking to log some playing time and have a good time, if it's cool people not getting too serious, it'll be all good.

The mentioning of three pass and posts got me thinking: I grew up playing roller with guys that'd played ice leagues, so i know hockey. I've just never did it on ice, and organized.
Don't play like your playing for the Stanley cup lol. Where are you going to play...in S.I. or in Manhattan somewhere? If you go to Chelsea Piers I could help you work on some of your skating flaws. But not until I get back to NY at the end of September. They're pretty expensive for open hockey tho.

Keep your shifts short, try your best to keep your head up. Accidents do happen because your out there with people of various skill levels.

Then you have asshats who think they're playing to get drafted and will occasionally throw a hit. It happened to me when I first started playing Ice again.

Bring lots of water or powerade...whatever works for you.

Oh and Have fun!!

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
  #17
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Don't play like your playing for the Stanley cup lol. Where are you going to play...in S.I. or in Manhattan somewhere? If you go to Chelsea Piers I could help you work on some of your skating flaws. But not until I get back to NY at the end of September. They're pretty expensive for open hockey tho.

Keep your shifts short, try your best to keep your head up. Accidents do happen because your out there with people of various skill levels.

Then you have asshats who think they're playing to get drafted and will occasionally throw a hit. It happened to me when I first started playing Ice again.

Bring lots of water or powerade...whatever works for you.

Oh and Have fun!!

-Brian
Thanks a lot Brian. I go to Chelsea, and yes it's a little expensive. I'm always looking to improve my skating so I'll take you up on the offer, but not until December when I'm back from London.

As for the open, I beat myself more than anything. Conditioning is a major problem, and I won't improve skill wise much until I deal with that. But that said, I had a lot of fun. The best part is, I can see the game very well. I got beat a few times from weak skating/being lazy from being tired, but I made a few defensive plays just because I could. The tempo was faster than I'm used too, but I have no real problem keeping up and seeing opportunities. I just need to step up a notch to be effective. I knew what I wanted to do most of the time and either the lazy/tiredness got to me, or I made the play. So it's really something to look forward too.

As for asshats hitting there was one who seemed to zero in on me because I was new I guess. He caught me high and I thought I tweaked my back, but it was all good. He tried it again and I could have lit him up but it's a non contact rink (Playing football really helps your hitting). it got to the point where I was initiated contact and he didn't want to play physical anymore. He was a better player than me, but not that great overall, but I guess used my weak skating as a confidence booster for himself.

Now that I've done it and I like it, I can't wait until Friday when I got back. I know what to expect, and I'll make sure to be better the next time around.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
  #18
southerncross116
Registered User
 
southerncross116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: screening goalies
Country: Australia
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Reminds me of one time I was at an open hockey session a long time back... a short fireplug looking guy got run into (it looked like an accident- but who knows)... then this clown gets up and slashes me since I was closest to him and say "that's for your buddy" -- um yeh... I think I said something like look loser I don't even know that guy.

You get all types- and some of them really are a-holes.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
  #19
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Awesome!

Was that at Chelsea and do you know if the guys name was Mike Black?? LoL he's a Friggin ******. He wears a half shield cage combo.

Always willing to help out a fellow Ranger fan but I've got some ladders to climb of my own. Just getting off a few knee surgeries after getting hurt at work.

I'm looking to getting back into game shape by the time you get back so it looks like it's gonna work out...

Keep in touch and we can probably work on some things at the public skate and instructional league.

I used to work at Chelsea from 98-2001.

-Brian


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Thanks a lot Brian. I go to Chelsea, and yes it's a little expensive. I'm always looking to improve my skating so I'll take you up on the offer, but not until December when I'm back from London.

As for the open, I beat myself more than anything. Conditioning is a major problem, and I won't improve skill wise much until I deal with that. But that said, I had a lot of fun. The best part is, I can see the game very well. I got beat a few times from weak skating/being lazy from being tired, but I made a few defensive plays just because I could. The tempo was faster than I'm used too, but I have no real problem keeping up and seeing opportunities. I just need to step up a notch to be effective. I knew what I wanted to do most of the time and either the lazy/tiredness got to me, or I made the play. So it's really something to look forward too.

As for asshats hitting there was one who seemed to zero in on me because I was new I guess. He caught me high and I thought I tweaked my back, but it was all good. He tried it again and I could have lit him up but it's a non contact rink (Playing football really helps your hitting). it got to the point where I was initiated contact and he didn't want to play physical anymore. He was a better player than me, but not that great overall, but I guess used my weak skating as a confidence booster for himself.

Now that I've done it and I like it, I can't wait until Friday when I got back. I know what to expect, and I'll make sure to be better the next time around.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
  #20
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
I'll definitely contact you when I get back. Yea, was at Chelsea, but I never got the guys name. I hope over my semester away I'll get in decent shape, otherwise you can skate me until I puke because I'll need it haha.

I read in the other post about the surgeries, good luck man.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
  #21
csohio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Is adult drop in the place for a beginner? I can skate but have never played hockey in full pads.

csohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM
  #22
87vert
Registered User
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Im also getting ready for my first drop in. I've done about 3-4 stick times just to get aquantied with skating with pads and a stick. Im ready to play a game. I've been trying to find a buddy to go with me but the only few that play hockey are all bums. Im going tomorrow afternoon but I think that session is usually dead and probably wont get enough people to play.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:11 PM
  #23
Jonathan Iilahti*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,783
vCash: 500
I was looking at the schedule for my local rink and noticed something called "Stick and Puck". What the hell is that? Drop in hockey without pads?

Jonathan Iilahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
  #24
87vert
Registered User
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHodgson View Post
I was looking at the schedule for my local rink and noticed something called "Stick and Puck". What the hell is that? Drop in hockey without pads?
Its basically a practice. You just skate around and shoot. Usually just a helmet and gloves are required since your not really playing a game. Its good for us noobs to get used to skating and shooting without getting right into a game.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
  #25
TheOtter
Registered User
 
TheOtter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHodgson View Post
I was looking at the schedule for my local rink and noticed something called "Stick and Puck". What the hell is that? Drop in hockey without pads?
I think of it as public skating, but with hockey sticks and pucks. There's nothing wrong with bringing full equipment, but a lot of players will just have the basics (helmet, gloves, maybe elbow and shin pads).

Different rinks have different amounts of equipment required. Might be just helmets required; might include gloves and shin pads. It varies.

It's never a bad idea to call the rink and ask them what usually goes on during their Stick & Puck sessions. One rink near here has a schedule. On M,W,F, it's a pickup game, and during popular seasons, you have to call ahead to get your name on the list (limited to 10 skaters per side). On Tuesday and Thursday, it's open ice, where a game can only be played on half the ice, so at least half the ice is free for practicing skills. Another rink near me usually only has a few people out there during stick & puck, which is great for practicing skills, but not so great if you're looking for a game.

So, I'd suggest calling the rink and find out what to expect...

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.