Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Open Hockey first timer.

02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
vCash: 500
Our rinks are all owned by one company and they require full pads to participate in stick and punk. That means I have to buy everything to try the sport out.

csohio is offline   Reply With Quote
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Placebo Effect
In Vancouver, at least at 8 Rinks and Planet Ice Coquitlam, helmet and gloves are required while the rest are optional.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
couldnt that be some weird label for a puck shoot?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I've been to a few open sessions now. I'm going to be skipping my Wednesday classes to play during the semester. Most guys are real cool, some of the younger (Older than me, I'm 20, they're usually early 20s) seem to be the dicks. Some people take it way to seriously, but most of the guys are real cool.

Funny thing is, my skating is weak, but my positioning is good enough that I make defensive plays (Blocked shots, odd man rushes get broken up etc) and always end up alone in the slot. But, guys tend to get a little physical with the new guy, i.e. slew foot behind the net or they try to run me. That never seems to work since I know how to deliver/take a hit, people always seem to bounce off me.

Now to just find stick time/stick and puck/practice time somewhere in the NYC are that I can work on some things at.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Skate or Die!
some guys just can't help playing agressive. They get on the rink and it's a different mindset. Often, there's a few others that play that way as well and they don't go over a certain threshold of roughness. Sometimes during games, you can just tell him to lay off a bit and they'll listen. Some guys just play with an edge even when having fun. As you get stronger on your skates, (sounds like you're pretty solid already), you'll find that you'll be able to get in position quicker and avoid some of that as the game slows down for you.
I guess my point is, don't assume that they're trying to be a-holes. Some guys just play hockey full-out and have to be reminded to tone it down. Usually, they listen, unless they really are an a-hole.
Sounds like you're having fun though! Keep having fun!

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote