HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Issues Getting New Skates. Wide, Deep foot. Help Appreciated.

Old
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
IronWolf

vCash: 500
Issues Getting New Skates. Wide, Deep foot. Help Appreciated.

Hey All,

So a couple weeks back I bought Some Easton Synergy 800c skates. They felt ok at the time, and then I had them baked. I tried them in the store with super feet, but it was worse for me then the regular insole, so I stuck with the regular insole. I tried them on at home with a standard sock, and I was getting major lace bite. Tried them skating and was getting rubbing on the top of my foot, so I took them back to sport chek.

Decided to go to a more pro skate shop here in Edmonton (United Cycle), and ended up trying and getting some Bauer Supreme Comps (Cross between One55's and One90's I guess). Same issue with the super feet. With these and the easton's I would get a weird shooting pain into my big toe when walking on them. I noticed this more so after the baking and trying them on a couple days later. It's weird..this shooting pain from about the middle of my foot into the top of my big toe. Loosening the middle laces seems to help alleviate it.

I thought super feet just were not meant for me, but I am starting to wonder if this is all just a sign that neither of these skates are deep enough for me? I talked with someone there, and I will try to get them punched out, but could it be a depth issue with my foot? The only deeper skates they have are Mission AG line, and the Graf 709's.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else has wide, deep feet, or if anyone else has experienced this odd pain in the top of the big toe. It only happens on my one foot that is slightly bigger then the other one. Is this a normal break in for new skates now a days (Haven't bought a pair in 5+ years)? The pain is more like when your foot is falling asleep crossed with a bruising feeling. Only when walking in them though.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
RaoulDuke2k

I'd suggest checking out Grafs - model by model they probably have the most variance in terms of fit. Actually I think as the #s go up, the boot will get wider. If you go on the site, they might detail it.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
IronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke2k View Post
I'd suggest checking out Grafs - model by model they probably have the most variance in terms of fit. Actually I think as the #s go up, the boot will get wider. If you go on the site, they might detail it.
The graf's that they said the have are the Graf 709's. Those are what he says is deeper then the bauers. I just don't get it though. Maybe I'm just not used to breaking in skates ahah. Maybe it's me? My current skates, an old pair of koho's, are just really well broken in already. Although I notice on them, the toungue usually slides underneath the sides of the boot, but on these you can see a gap between the tongue and where the lace holes are. Probably because my foot pushes it up? haha.

Old
08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
danglesmcgee

You can easily get them custom my friend, my friend just bought the one 95s and he has a ridiculously wide foot, they will just trace ur foot and make em, it will probably cost a bit more but in hte long run if u arent going to grow any more its worth it. the issue is when u have feet like mine and they are size 15, they only make over 14 for pros, unless you get graf 705s.

danglesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglesmcgee View Post
You can easily get them custom my friend, my friend just bought the one 95s and he has a ridiculously wide foot, they will just trace ur foot and make em, it will probably cost a bit more but in hte long run if u arent going to grow any more its worth it. the issue is when u have feet like mine and they are size 15, they only make over 14 for pros, unless you get graf 705s.
Interesting to note. Again, I'm assuming it's actually a depth issue because I am out of ideas on what else it could be.

Does this sort of a pain going into the big toe when you take a step sound familiar to anyone when breaking in skates?

Old
08-14-2008, 12:16 PM
stick9

Leave the superfeet out of the equation until you find a boot that fits your foot. You may not need to use them. Keep in mind, when you add the superfeet insoles you are decreasing the volume of the boot, push your foot further up in the boot.

There is an easy way to see if the boot is deep enough for you. Unlace the skate and pull the tongue all the way forward. Put the skate on and kick into like you normally would to set your foot int he heel cup. One your foot is in take a pencil and place it over the eyelets. The pencil should be able to touch each side without hitting your foot from the first eyelet to the last. This is what's referred to as the pencil test. If your foot doesn't allow the pencil to touch both edges, the boot isn't deep enough for your foot.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
RaoulDuke2k

I have to be careful with my lace tightness or I'll get some toe pain and numbness, mostly in my second and third toes. My lower laces have to be barely snug, then I can go tight from the curve of the foot on up. I'm running Graf 703's with ShockDoctors, and they feel great/fit great, but the lacing is still key for comfort.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Interesting to note. Again, I'm assuming it's actually a depth issue because I am out of ideas on what else it could be.

Does this sort of a pain going into the big toe when you take a step sound familiar to anyone when breaking in skates?
Sounds like the toe box isn't wide enough for your foot.

Old
08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Sounds like the toe box isn't wide enough for your foot.
That's also what I was wondering. I am going to be taking them in today to get them punched out, to see if that helps. The toe box's are definitely a little tight right now, so I would like to get the remedied too.

With the pencil test, do you actually unlace the boot, and run the pencil through they eyelets, or do you just place the pencil overtop the eyelets?

Old
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
stick9

Quote:
That's also what I was wondering. I am going to be taking them in today to get them punched out, to see if that helps. The toe box's are definitely a little tight right now, so I would like to get the remedied too.

With the pencil test, do you actually unlace the boot, and run the pencil through they eyelets, or do you just place the pencil overtop the eyelets?
Over the top. You'll probably still need to unlace the boot, or at least partially unlace it so you can pull the tongue forward.

Last edited by stick9: 08-14-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Over the top. You'll probably still need to unlace the boot, or at least partially unlace it so you can pull the tongue forward.
Ok thanks a lot for that advice. I will try that actually, and see how it goes. So to make sure I understand:

Unlace the boot, and pull the tongue to the toe area. Put on the boot. Leave the tongue off, and run a pencil from the leather above the eyelet on one side to the same spot on the other side. If my foot gets in the way at all, then the boot is not deep enough?

Old
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
stick9

Quote:
Ok thanks a lot for that advice. I will try that actually, and see how it goes. So to make sure I understand:

Unlace the boot, and pull the tongue to the toe area. Put on the boot. Leave the tongue off, and run a pencil from the leather above the eyelet on one side to the same spot on the other side. If my foot gets in the way at all, then the boot is not deep enough?
Yep, you got it.

Old
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Yep, you got it.
Thanks alot, you have some very valuable information Stick9. Hopefully this can help out some other people as well.

Old
08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
stick9

No problem, glad I could help.