HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles 2008

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
The first four weeks wasn't all on Brees. Although yes, he wasn't good. I think he was trying to do too much after the dream season of 2006.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
yea Ryan might have been a bit to young but he ahs looked good in the preaseason (yes I know its the preseason)

Vince Young has struggled in preseason wioth his accuracy. However, his receivers are eaqsily 1 of teh 3 worst goups in the league and they will rely heavily on running Lendale White and the immprressive roookie Chris Johnson. His receivers are terrible and they have not upgraded them at all. Lets just say, if Jason Avant went there, he would battling for a starting job
Thats the thing. Vince Young was in his what, 2nd full year last year? He still was able to pass for 63% accuracy with a receiving core certainly worse than anything McNabb has seen. I am not a big fan of Young, I just prefer classic pocket passers, guys that are pure QBs, not just guys that I like to refer to as "The Combine Generation" You dont need to be 6-3 240 lbs, run like a track star and bench 300 lbs to be a good QB. You need to be able to read a defense and get the ball in a spot where your receiver can get it and the defense cant. We will see if Young develops that over time, he certainly has shown to be a much more accurate passer than I ever expected from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The first four weeks wasn't all on Brees. Although yes, he wasn't good. I think he was trying to do too much after the dream season of 2006.
I am asking this out of laziness cause I dont feel like looking it up, but who were Breese's receivers last year? He didnt have Horn last year, right? I cant remember if Horn moved before last season or later.

Old
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am asking this out of laziness cause I dont feel like looking it up, but who were Breese's receivers last year? He didnt have Horn last year, right? I cant remember if Horn moved before last season or later.
Horn was gone last year, but it wasn't a significant alteration from the previous year as he hadn't been a key cog in the team that went to the NFC Champ.

Colston, Bush, and Henderson (who had a decidedly weaker year).

Old
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Horn was gone last year, but it wasn't a significant alteration from the previous year as he hadn't been a key cog in the team that went to the NFC Champ.

Colston, Bush, and Henderson (who had a decidedly weaker year).
Bush is a RB, not too much different from Westbrook in how they use him, so his top two WR's were Colston and Henderson, correct?

EDIT: Actually I did look at the stats finally, looks like David Patten was the next best one after Colston as far as stats go. Just curious since I didnt follow them much last year after they became a disaster at the beginning and McCallister went down. Is Patten still with them? I have a fantasy draft tomorrow night, I really should get caught up on all this....

Last edited by mikedifr: 08-27-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old
08-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Bush is a RB, not too much different from Westbrook in how they use him, so his top two WR's were Colston and Henderson, correct?
Reggie Bush isn't a RB at the NFL level...he's more of an old school HB, and they don't really use him like the Eagles use Westbrook. Bush only had 157 carries last year (155 the year before), while Westbrook had 278...

Bush may develop into a player they use like Westbrook, but as of now he's more of a receiver than a runner, and more likely to get 1,000 yds receiving than running...he also averages a measly 3.7 yds a carry, which isn't exactly great incentive to design an offense around handing the ball off to him more.

Old
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Reggie Bush isn't a RB at the NFL level...he's more of an old school HB, and they don't really use him like the Eagles use Westbrook. Bush only had 157 carries last year (155 the year before), while Westbrook had 278...

Bush may develop into a player they use like Westbrook, but as of now he's more of a receiver than a runner, and more likely to get 1,000 yds receiving than running...he also averages a measly 3.7 yds a carry, which isn't exactly great incentive to design an offense around handing the ball off to him more.
Ok, let me correct myself, they use him like Westbrook before the last two years when they didnt run him 15-20 times a game.

Old
08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Ok, let me correct myself, they use him like Westbrook before the last two years when they didnt run him 15-20 times a game.
True, but unlike Westbrook, Bush isn't making a strong case for the team to give him the ball more inside the tackles. If they're offense is going well this year, he'll make more of an impact in the receiving game than he will in the running game.

Old
08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
True, but unlike Westbrook, Bush isn't making a strong case for the team to give him the ball more inside the tackles. If they're offense is going well this year, he'll make more of an impact in the receiving game than he will in the running game.
Gotcha. I havent watched him enough so I will take your word for it

Old
08-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Gotcha. I havent watched him enough so I will take your word for it
Bush likes to get in the hole and shake-and-bake...and then gets planted by a NFL LB with the speed to keep up with him. He remains a dynamic runner in the open field (aka, when they get him the ball out in space in the passing game), but his running ability hasn't really translated to the NFL level...only reason he had as many carries as he did last year was because they lost Deuce and were forced to hand the ball off to Bush more.

He can probably up his yardage average by toning down his flashiness in the hole and just going forward...but as of now, he doesn't really look like a smart option as someone you want to give the ball to in the backfield as your primary option...however, is very dangerous as a hybrid all over the field and pressuring the defensive coverage -- much like Westbrook can be in the passing game.

Old
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
mm6492

Quote:

EDIT: Actually I did look at the stats finally, looks like David Patten was the next best one after Colston as far as stats go. Just curious since I didnt follow them much last year after they became a disaster at the beginning and McCallister went down. Is Patten still with them? I have a fantasy draft tomorrow night, I really should get caught up on all this....
david patten will not get as many catches this year with the emergence of second year receiver robert meachem. he was hurt last year, but was a 1st rund pick. He has looked really good in the preseason. Also, Shockey will get more looks and Bush will be used more in passing downs. So I would avoid David Patten.

hope that helped

Old
08-27-2008, 11:49 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
david patten will not get as many catches this year with the emergence of second year receiver robert meachem. he was hurt last year, but was a 1st rund pick. He has looked really good in the preseason. Also, Shockey will get more looks and Bush will be used more in passing downs. So I would avoid David Patten.

hope that helped
Yeah, that helped. I wasnt thinking about taking Patten, trying to figure out how many receptions Bush might get. Thanks!

Old
08-27-2008, 12:44 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Yeah, that helped. I wasnt thinking about taking Patten, trying to figure out how many receptions Bush might get. Thanks!
Colston will be the #1 target. Meachem and Patten will battle for the #2 spot

Shockey will get alot of work from the TE position, being teh check down for Bree's on every play

I see Reggie Bush having a pretty good year. He will probally do a little PR and KR if that counts in your league. I could see him having 65-70 catches with about 6-8 TD's total. This is if he stays healthy. But they will try to incorporate him more this year and use his dynamic skills

Old
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
SI has us making the Super Bowl and losing to the Patriots 26-23. Finish 12-4 and are 2nd in the conference. Donovan's on the cover. Somehow with our receiving corps, I have a feeling that won't be happening.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
SI has us making the Super Bowl and losing to the Patriots 26-23. Finish 12-4 and are 2nd in the conference. Donovan's on the cover. Somehow with our receiving corps, I have a feeling that won't be happening.
Especially now, I guess Avant and Jackson are the starters with all the injuries??

Old
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Especially now, I guess Avant and Jackson are the starters with all the injuries??
What about Baskett?

Old
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
What about Baskett?
Oh my god I forgot Baskett!!! What was I thinking. We should certainly be fine

Old
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Oh my god I forgot Baskett!!! What was I thinking. We should certainly be fine

Also G. Lewis.

And you forgot Poland.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post

Also G. Lewis.

And you forgot Poland.
Ooops

Old
08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
IrishSniper87

Baskett, G-Lew, Avant, Jackson are all wonderful 3-6 wideouts.

But even Curtis and Brown are only 2's.

One Wideout could TRANSFORM this offense.

Boldin and Brown with Curtis and Westbrook in the slot. WHY NOT do this???

What is wrong with this team??

Its like they TRY to FAIL

Old
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post

It has been this way for almost 9 years now, with one year the exception. Is it really worth wasting the time to complain about anymore?

Old
08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
It has been this way for almost 9 years now, with one year the exception. Is it really worth wasting the time to complain about anymore?
Exactly. I've come to terms with the fact that we're not going out to get that elite WR that demanded a trade. With the exception of he who shall not be named, we have not had a #1 receiver since...too long. I've gotten used to the James Thrashes and Todd Pinkstons of the world and realized we're going to have to go into the season with what are now mediocre receivers compared to what we could have, which would be a very good receiving corps with Boldin along with a healthy Curtis, Brown, and a maturing DeSean Jackson.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:11 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post

the Cardinals wouldnt trade Boldin, they have comne out and said it

The Egles offer Randy moss much more money then Patriots, however he went to NE

before larry fitz signed hsi ext. we were front runners to get him

now I am not one to give the eagles excuses but they have tried this offseason.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
the Cardinals wouldnt trade Boldin, they have comne out and said it

The Egles offer Randy moss much more money then Patriots, however he went to NE

before larry fitz signed hsi ext. we were front runners to get him

now I am not one to give the eagles excuses but they have tried this offseason.
They have...but at the end of the day, the only offensive weapon the Eagles added this year was DeSean Jackson. Who is great in his own way and brings a lot to this team that we lacked, but adding him is simply not enough.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
mm6492

Quote:
They have...but at the end of the day, the only offensive weapon the Eagles added this year was DeSean Jackson. Who is great in his own way and brings a lot to this team that we lacked, but adding him is simply not enough.
the eagles are also banking on LJ smith to come back healthy and improve the red zone offense (in his career all his TD's have come from within the 20)

I am not saying that I agree with what the Eagles have done, because I do not.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Exactly. I've come to terms with the fact that we're not going out to get that elite WR that demanded a trade. With the exception of he who shall not be named, we have not had a #1 receiver since...too long. I've gotten used to the James Thrashes and Todd Pinkstons of the world and realized we're going to have to go into the season with what are now mediocre receivers compared to what we could have, which would be a very good receiving corps with Boldin along with a healthy Curtis, Brown, and a maturing DeSean Jackson.
As much as I would love to have a Boldin, I would be fine with Curtis, Brown and Jackson, with the focal point of the offense being your running back. The problem is two of those guys are hurt at the moment. There are only so many touches to go around. I think that Jackson can take some touches away from Westbrook cause they have a similar skillset when getting the ball out in the open. We know they like to spread the ball around anyway, Brown (who I actually like more than most) and Curtis are more than adequate. Where this team is hurting is at the TE position, Donovan loved throwing to Chad Lewis back in the day. Smith needs to have a good year.

Closed Thread