HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles 2008

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
As much as I would love to have a Boldin, I would be fine with Curtis, Brown and Jackson, with the focal point of the offense being your running back. The problem is two of those guys are hurt at the moment. There are only so many touches to go around. I think that Jackson can take some touches away from Westbrook cause they have a similar skillset when getting the ball out in the open. We know they like to spread the ball around anyway, Brown (who I actually like more than most) and Curtis are more than adequate. Where this team is hurting is at the TE position, Donovan loved throwing to Chad Lewis back in the day. Smith needs to have a good year.
I hope we also address this in next years draft where there are many top TE's- Travis Beckum, Jermaine Gresham and Chase Coffman. LJ smith has been a bust to this point and I do not see him back next year. With 2 first rounds picks, a 2nd rounder and Lito as trade bait, we should be able to fill alot of needs

Old
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
LJ Smith is not a bust.

Old
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
LJ Smith is not a bust.
he might not be a bust, but he is close. Jason witten went about 5 picks after him and everyone had witten as the higher ranked player. But w/o looking back at that

With the amount of times we throw it, do you think that LJ smith has played up to expectations??

Old
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't know many busts who are still on their team 6 years after they're drafted.

Old
08-27-2008, 09:46 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't know many busts who are still on their team 6 years after they're drafted.
I am not saying he is a complete bust. And bust is probally the wrong word

He has not lived up to expectations and his talent might be a better way of saying it. He has not been a bust as in he has done terrible. He has been a bust when you look at what he was expected to produce

Old
08-27-2008, 09:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I am not saying he is a complete bust. And bust is probally the wrong word

He has not lived up to expectations and his talent might be a better way of saying it. He has not been a bust as in he has done terrible. He has been a bust when you look at what he was expected to produce
He's been a solid starter. If you were expecting more from a late second round pick I think you set the bar too high.

Old
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He's been a solid starter. If you were expecting more from a late second round pick I think you set the bar too high.
Maybe I set teh standards to high. Maybe I am mad at teh eagles for passing over the higher rated TE in Jason witten, who is now one of the to 3 in the league. But I have expected a little more from LJ then we have gotten

Old
08-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
he might not be a bust, but he is close. Jason witten went about 5 picks after him and everyone had witten as the higher ranked player. But w/o looking back at that

With the amount of times we throw it, do you think that LJ smith has played up to expectations??
I wanted Jason Witten in '03, too, but whatever, no use in crying over spilt milk. What makes it even more agonizing is the team that ended up picking him a round after we picked LJ.

Anyway, LJ has Jeremy Shockey-type talent but just can't keep healthy. This year is his last shot. Also, while we're talking about the TE position, Brent Celek's a solid player, and the coaching staff seems to like him, too. I feel we're really going to see a lot of him in the passing game this season. I liked him a lot at Cincinnati -- he's a guy who gets the most out of his talent and just has a head for the game. I think he gets 55-60 catches, 500 yards, and 3 TD, and that's as a #2a TE (Schobel being a #2b). All that reminds me, the Eagles really made some great picks in 2007, IMO. Kevin Kolb, Stewart Bradley, and the aforementioned Celek were guys I liked going into the draft. Bradley's a good one, and he's going to be a pleasant surprise this year. Kolb, when it's his time, will have this offense running as a more traditional WCO -- and have it running well. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future.

Old
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I wanted Jason Witten in '03, too, but whatever, no use in crying over spilt milk. What makes it even more agonizing is the team that ended up picking him a round after we picked LJ.

Anyway, LJ has Jeremy Shockey-type talent but just can't keep healthy. This year is his last shot. Also, while we're talking about the TE position, Brent Celek's a solid player, and the coaching staff seems to like him, too. I feel we're really going to see a lot of him in the passing game this season. I liked him a lot at Cincinnati -- he's a guy who gets the most out of his talent and just has a head for the game. I think he gets 55-60 catches, 500 yards, and 3 TD, and that's as a #2a TE (Schobel being a #2b). All that reminds me, the Eagles really made some great picks in 2007, IMO. Kevin Kolb, Stewart Bradley, and the aforementioned Celek were guys I liked going into the draft. Bradley's a good one, and he's going to be a pleasant surprise this year. Kolb, when it's his time, will have this offense running as a more traditional WCO -- and have it running well. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future.
They also seemed to make some pretty good picks this year:
-DeSean Jackson- explosive returner and has looked like a better receiver then many though
-Trevor Laws- will provide good depth as we rotate our DT's
- Quinton Demps- he was a steal where we got him. A great kickoff returner, a special teams ace and a playmaker at the saftey position
-Bryan Smith- a DE who has shown explosiveness. hopefully we can sneak him on the IF with a stinger (Gocong, Bloom, etc.)
-Jack Ikegwuono- will not play this year, but he was a 1st round pick before he tore his ACL. If he can fully recover, he could become the biggest steal of the draft
- Joe mays- looks like london fletcher 2.0 Agrressive as hell, he will hit anything that moves
-King Dunlap- he is a project but he has the size and tools to not only start in the NFL but dominate. needs alot of work on technique
- Andy Studebaker- small school player has teh talent. Is not ready this year and will have to go to practice squad or IR. Should come in next year and get a good look

Old
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Ghost of Downie*

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...ore-zany-.html

Old
08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downie Did It View Post

Old
08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post

Old
08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Mutombo*

Wow Is This guy an attention ***** or what!!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
^^^ Perfect response. Nothing else is needed.

Old
08-29-2008, 10:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's not true. Chris Cooley was a third round pick for the 'skins and he's been one of the best TEs in the league. Antonio Gates wasn't even drafted by the Chargers and he's probably the best in the league. Considering where Smith was drafted, it is safe to say that his production so far has been disappointing. In five seasons, he's had 194 receptions for 2,227 yards. Chris Cooley has only been in the league for four seasons and he's had 231 receptions for 2,608 yards. And to compare Smith's stats with Jason Whitten, Whitten has been in the league the same amount of time as Smith and he's had 348 receptions for 3,983 yards. The other problem with LJ Smith that doesn't get discussed is that he's prone for dropping passes.

Old
08-30-2008, 07:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I hope Mighty Joe Mays makes the team.

Old
08-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Danglous

Any chance on the Eagles trading for Boldin, or any other receiver for that matter?

Old
08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Downie View Post
Any chance on the Eagles trading for Boldin, or any other receiver for that matter?
at this point, Probably not

Old
08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
at this point, Probably not
While true, this is very disappointing.

Old
08-30-2008, 07:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Don't worry. Greg Lewis made the team.

Old
08-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Danglous

I think Jackson looks promising, but thats it. With Curtis hurt, they should have definitely have made a move. Reggie Brown doesnt seem to be developing the way they had hoped, along with every one else. Hank Baskett has flashes of brilliance, but is inconsistent. We cant have Westbrook as our go to guy for recieving. If not this year, the front office better do something in a big way next season.

Old
08-31-2008, 08:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Reggie Brown hasn't developed as hoped? What?

Old
08-31-2008, 03:12 PM
mercury

I looked at the Eagles 53-man roster today, and I was struck by two things:

1) This team could win 10 or 11 games, because it is actually very deep at almost every position, EXCEPT. . .

2) The wide receiving corps. Even with Curtis coming back healthy and Jackson getting around 3 catches a game, it's lackluster, and a re-injury to Curtis would put it in the area of "garbage."

For now, I am optimistic. I went through the schedule at the bar yesterday, and I can easily see the Eagles being 10-5 going into the last game against Dallas at home.

Old
08-31-2008, 05:55 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

The Giants signed Jerome McDougle

Old
08-31-2008, 08:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
The Giants signed Jerome McDougle
It's either going to look really really good or really really bad for the Eagles. They talked on WIP that they wanted to trade him, I guess no takers.

Closed Thread