HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles 2008

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's not true. Chris Cooley was a third round pick for the 'skins and he's been one of the best TEs in the league. Antonio Gates wasn't even drafted by the Chargers and he's probably the best in the league. Considering where Smith was drafted, it is safe to say that his production so far has been disappointing. In five seasons, he's had 194 receptions for 2,227 yards. Chris Cooley has only been in the league for four seasons and he's had 231 receptions for 2,608 yards. And to compare Smith's stats with Jason Whitten, Whitten has been in the league the same amount of time as Smith and he's had 348 receptions for 3,983 yards. The other problem with LJ Smith that doesn't get discussed is that he's prone for dropping passes.
You're really going to pick a few random guys out of a hat and try to make a point with them? Let's look at the TEs drafted in the same year as LJ Smith:

Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts, pick #24. 179 career receptions.
Bennie Joppru, Houston Texans, pick #41. 0 career receptions.
LJ Smith, Philadelphia Eagles, pick #61. 194 career receptions.
Teyo Johnson, Oakland Raiders, pick #63. 26 career receptions.

Those are the four picked in the first two rounds. We got the guy with the most career receptions, despite injury troubles, and somehow we screwed up? Yes, Witten was available later, but out of the 14 TEs picked that year, only four have been good players (Donald Lee was also there) and we got the one with the second most career receptions and probably third most career TD catches. If he were supposed to be better than this, he would have been drafted in the first round along with Dallas Clark (he of fewer catches than Smith). LJ has done just fine.

Old
09-02-2008, 08:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I was listening to WIP yesterday for a little bit driving to the racetrack, everyone calling in to Howard Eskin, man, you'd think the Eagles cut Brian Dawkins or Trent Cole or something.

Old
09-02-2008, 09:00 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I was listening to WIP yesterday for a little bit driving to the racetrack, everyone calling in to Howard Eskin, man, you'd think the Eagles cut Brian Dawkins or Trent Cole or something.
Why do people bother with WIP???

Thats what I wanna know.

Old
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
Why do people bother with WIP???

Thats what I wanna know.
Some of the WIP people arent bad.

Real question, why do people bother with Howard Eskin? I ****ing hate that guy.

Old
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Some of the WIP people arent bad.

Real question, why do people bother with Howard Eskin? I ****ing hate that guy.
He is ok. I know one of his sons, so I can't hate Howard.

Old
09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
He is ok. I know one of his sons, so I can't hate Howard.
When not doing his shtick (I assume it's a shtick), I'm sure he's an alright guy. His WIP/media personality is that of a complete dick.

Old
09-02-2008, 09:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Eskin was the one talking the sense.

"You killed this guy for YEARS and now that he's gone you're scared of him."

Old
09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
IrishSniper87

I have a survival pool I am in now, and I wonder who is a good pick for week 1 that isn't the Patriots. You are only allowed to pick a team once.

I guess I should just pick whoever is playing Miami

Old
09-02-2008, 11:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That would be the Jets.

The thing about suicide pools is that people save teams by picking other teams they don't know if they want to use down the road. I find that more times than not, the people who keep saving teams never get to use them.

Old
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 122
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I picked the Jets for my suicide pool too.

Old
09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
mm6492

I picked the Lions, then going pats next week, then colts, then eagles I think

Old
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
TehBBA

Quote:
That would be the Jets.

The thing about suicide pools is that people save teams by picking other teams they don't know if they want to use down the road. I find that more times than not, the people who keep saving teams never get to use them.
I've won my suicide pool 4 out of the last 7 years with that strategy.

The only times I've ever lost was, ironically, when I picked the Eagles.

Old
09-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
That would be the Jets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBBA View Post
I've won my suicide pool 4 out of the last 7 years with that strategy.

The only times I've ever lost was, ironically, when I picked the Eagles.
The thing about suicide pools is that if you want to win you almost have to have this strategy. You might lose early but if you pick the patriots, colts, steelers, cowboys in the first 4 weeks then you are forced to pick a bunch of underdogs the rest of the way. taking the best team each week might a way to stay alive longer than most people but its usually not the best way to stay alive till the end. If you do get lucky in your first few weeks picking teams that might not be a huge favorite you will be gold down the stretch when there are only like 15 teams left and you still have the pats and colts. Idealy, to me, i want to know who i want to pick 5 weeks in advance. like i have a list of 5 teams i think have the best chance of winnign each week for the first 5 weeks and then i find a team in weeks 1 that is not on my list of 5 very often in the first 5 weeks. then after weeks 1 i update my top 5 for each week up till week 6 and so on. Its the strategy ive used every year for about 4 years now and ive wont a bunch of pools.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
flyersguy33*

Just heard on ESPN that Lito is on his way out of Philly. They have a trade worked out but didn't say with who. Should be announced shortly they said.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Just heard on ESPN that Lito is on his way out of Philly. They have a trade worked out but didn't say with who. Should be announced shortly they said.
wowww

Old
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
IrishSniper87

Very interesting!

WR???

Roy Williams??

Anquan Boldin??

Old
09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
flyersguy33*

They also said they recieved an offer a couple days ago and declined it because they didn't like what they were getting back.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
IrishSniper87

I bet it won't be Boldin or Williams, but hey one can hope.

If the Eagles trade Lito for picks I will be so mad. I have a feeling the return will be awful.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The thing about suicide pools is that if you want to win you almost have to have this strategy. You might lose early but if you pick the patriots, colts, steelers, cowboys in the first 4 weeks then you are forced to pick a bunch of underdogs the rest of the way. taking the best team each week might a way to stay alive longer than most people but its usually not the best way to stay alive till the end. If you do get lucky in your first few weeks picking teams that might not be a huge favorite you will be gold down the stretch when there are only like 15 teams left and you still have the pats and colts. Idealy, to me, i want to know who i want to pick 5 weeks in advance. like i have a list of 5 teams i think have the best chance of winnign each week for the first 5 weeks and then i find a team in weeks 1 that is not on my list of 5 very often in the first 5 weeks. then after weeks 1 i update my top 5 for each week up till week 6 and so on. Its the strategy ive used every year for about 4 years now and ive wont a bunch of pools.
The first few weeks, you're basically picking teams you know are going to lose, without having to use good teams, this much is true, however if you're into Week 6 and 7 and the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys and Chargers all still available for you, I'm pretty sure they're still available to you because you're eliminated.

Old
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
mm6492

First off, the Eagles have denied all reports and have said that have not received any offers

I would love for it to be Boldin or Williams, even if it emans we have to throw in a 2nd or 3rd next year. The only problem would be is that they would have to learn the offense is a limited period of time (3 days) and unless they run a similar offense, it could be abd in the beginning

More likely is that we get a 2nd round pick next year or something like that. Trading Lito would significantly weaknen our defense. Our nickel corner goes from being a 2-time pro bowler to Hanson, who blows.

So as much as a receiver would be great, at this point it would be interesting. Our defense would take a blow and I am not sure what kind of immidiate impact the WR could make

Old
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
mm6492

Quote:
The first few weeks, you're basically picking teams you know are going to lose, without having to use good teams, this much is true, however if you're into Week 6 and 7 and the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys and Chargers all still available for you, I'm pretty sure they're still available to you because you're eliminated.
well you have to loook for good match-ups. The Lions open the season with Atlanta. i would not normally take Detroit, but Atlantat is gonna have a rough year with a rookie QB, a new RB and a young and inexpeirenced defense

Old
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That was going to be my example but I forgot to include it.

By the way, no one else has picked up on a Lito trade. I was listening to Eskin and not a mention, actually they were talking more about Drue Rosenhaus causing trouble with Lito and Sheldon Brown.

Old
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
its been all over the news, rosenhaus said he expect lito to be traded and that there have been talks and blah blah blah, that guy is a complete ass.

Old
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
its been all over the news, rosenhaus said he expect lito to be traded and that there have been talks and blah blah blah, that guy is a complete ass.
I have DNL on and had ESPNews on for about an hour and there has been no mention. Actually as I type this, they're mentioning what I just said on DNL. Nothing about a trade.

Old
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
I have DNL on and had ESPNews on for about an hour and there has been no mention. Actually as I type this, they're mentioning what I just said on DNL. Nothing about a trade.
Well **** then. I guess ESPN was making some **** up. I was watching Sportscenter today and they said expect a trade soon.

Closed Thread