Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss U18 Junior Team

Old
08-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Swiss U18 Junior Team

The Ivan Hlinka-Memorial Tournament is over and once again the Swiss Team has found themselfs in last place....

Know, that this years team is not the strongest, the Swiss started really compomising against the heavily favoured Canadiens. They only lost 3-5 against Canada. Reto Schaeppi and Benjamin Conz had really strong games and already got recognitions on "The Hockey News"-Homepage.

But once again the tournament took a typical Swiss course. Outplayed all their energy in the 1st game, the Canadiens seemed to lost their Game and lost against Slovakia and in the final Game took a brutal 2-10 against the strong Swedish team.

I hope the Swiss learn from what happend in this years tournament and I hope they'll play better at the U18 WC!? But chances are there, that the Swiss team could get relegated....

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I honestly don't know what's wrong with Swiss hockey. Even when they have solid talent to build off of they can't ever seem to have any kind of success. A lot of their better talents are in their peak years and they seem to barely be staying afloat.

Is it coaching? Not enough money? What's the deal here?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I honestly don't know what's wrong with Swiss hockey. Even when they have solid talent to build off of they can't ever seem to have any kind of success. A lot of their better talents are in their peak years and they seem to barely be staying afloat.

It is a question that is deeply rooted in me. What is wrong with our national team ??? U18 - U20 - and senior.

I have a lot of pleasure in watching our NLA LNA ... i strongly stand for BERN ... and in the same time i am sooooo displeased about our national team.

The only years the played apparently well (beating Canada and another of the big teams) i was living in Africa !!! no TV ...

I am SOOOOOOO frustrated about them loosing all international games . Specially when the game is important.

i believe that someone cast a powerfull spell. I cannot see any other logical reason.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:42 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

I don't think Switzerland ever had much top talent to work with. Player depth have greatly improved lately, but apart from some players here and there, not many first of second round draft picks ever.

Maybe guys such as Weber or Sbisa will work their way to important roles in the NHL and then the situation will slowly improve. Slowly being the key word here.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

What is missing is a star player....

Switzerland is missing a Game breaker! Every single Players out of Switzerland is the perfect Team/Role Player. That's how Switzerland wins its Games....

Our coaching on U18 and U20 actually is pretty strong, but they're bilding a team to win, they don't develope the individual talent of a player....

Who knows when or if that ever will change...

Old
08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackster View Post
What is missing is a star player....

Switzerland is missing a Game breaker! Every single Players out of Switzerland is the perfect Team/Role Player. That's how Switzerland wins its Games....

Our coaching on U18 and U20 actually is pretty strong, but they're bilding a team to win, they don't develope the individual talent of a player....

Who knows when or if that ever will change...
Not sure a star player would bring much, Switzerland is 8th in the world thanks to its player depth. Belarus has some star players right now, Latvia use to have them, Slovenia will have one, Austria has one, but none of these teams can reach the top 8 as regulary as Switzerland in international tournaments. I think the next target for Swiss hockey is to have many players who can contribute in the NHL, not having one Kostytsin/Vanek/Kopitar.

Old
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Not sure a star player would bring much, Switzerland is 8th in the world thanks to its player depth. Belarus has some star players right now, Latvia use to have them, Slovenia will have one, Austria has one, but none of these teams can reach the top 8 as regulary as Switzerland in international tournaments. I think the next target for Swiss hockey is to have many players who can contribute in the NHL, not having one Kostytsin/Vanek/Kopitar.
What you're saying is true to an extent, but at some point, every strong hockey country has those one or two players that they can turn to, to take control of a game and turn it in their team's favor. In fact, the most prominent hockey countries have two or three of those players, like Russia (Ovechkin, Kovlachuk, Nabokov), Canada (Iginla, Luongo, Pronger, etc.), Sweden (Backstrom, Lundqvist, Lidstrom), and Finland (O. Jokinen, Timonen, Kiprusoff) all have that premier talent that came as a natural progression from establishing the team model you're talking about.

Switzerland already have several players capable of playing at the NHL level, guys like Streit and Hiller, who are solid but not game-breakers. They have some young up-and-comers on defense with Sbisa, Josi, and Weber. Stephan could be a pretty good goaltender for Dallas. What Switzerland really lack is a premier forward talent, someone that defenses have to key in on and open up opportunities for other players. One really talented individual can make the players around him better and end up making the whole team more successful, which is the ultimate goal of any competitive hockey team. Once Switzerland have that dynamic forward talent, that's when they really can progress as a hockey nation, IMO, because then they'll have a recipe for success to generate other high-level offensive talents.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 03:10 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

You're right to some extent when you say that a star player can push a team to the next level, but I think you overrate Switzerland's position right now. What you call "several" player at the NHL level is in fact just Hiller, Streit and Gerber. Also, keep in mind that Switzerland never had an NHL regular before Aebischer so it's not like there was improvement, I think it just needs some time to increase the number of Swiss NHLers to something like 10 to lay a more solid ground to get to the next level. Without that, a star player might just be a flash in the pan.

Also, a point you may not be aware of if you don't follow hockey in Switzerland is that this improvement in player depth has been already going on for a decade. Last spring, a dozen of players who could have made the world championship team missed the tournament for various reasons, and Switzerland still easily beat France and Denmark, secured the top 8 spot against Belarus, and could even upset Sweden. Ten years ago, missing that many players would have led to a bottom four place.

Improvement in Swiss hockey may be hidden by the lack of a Kopitar/Eller/Vanek kind of talent, but I think it's on the right track. You're still right about the need for a star player, but if that player is to bring Switzerland closer to the top nation, a solid ground need to be laid first.

Old
08-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I'm not saying it would bring us much further....

But as a Top 8 Nation we should be able to bring up a player whom everybody knows....
I you ask somebody to name a swiss player, he'll probably come up with Paul DiPietro (he's canadian originally) or Martin Gerber maybe David Aebischer. And of course now Mark Streit.....
I'm sure if you ask somebody about Austria they will call out the Names of Vanek, Pock, Nodl or Grabner....

I'm not saying we're a bad nation, but no scout can rave about a specific swiss hockey player.... That's what's sad, and that is in my eyes a coaching problem. But the coaching problem start at the age of 14 and not u18 or u20....