HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline to Ice (Season to Season)

Old
08-17-2008, 08:05 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

vCash: 500
Inline to Ice (Season to Season)

For all of you who plays ice and inline every season, in terms of hours, how many on ice hours does it take for you to feel good puckhandling on ice right after the inline season ends?

-For my son last year he said it took about 4 one hour stick and puck sessions. This year he has done some skating early with the team he is on and a couple stick and puck sessions. He feels that it took a little longer than the past (roughly 9 hours) to get a good feel for puckhandling on the ice-

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MURedHawk View Post
For all of you who plays ice and inline every season, in terms of hours, how many on ice hours does it take for you to feel good puckhandling on ice right after the inline season ends?

-For my son last year he said it took about 4 one hour stick and puck sessions. This year he has done some skating early with the team he is on and a couple stick and puck sessions. He feels that it took a little longer than the past (roughly 9 hours) to get a good feel for puckhandling on the ice-
I am kind of wondering why he plays in-line during the summer? Do you live in an area where the ice rink shuts down for the summer each year?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

I agree with Headcoach, going from Ice to Inline back to Ice really isn't a good idea unless he only wants to play with friends. I would try to stay on Ice all year round. Find a competitve Spring Leauge or even do some 3 on 3 if your arena has it but it's generally not wise to play ice hockey and inline if you want to get better at ice hockey

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I am kind of wondering why he plays in-line during the summer? Do you live in an area where the ice rink shuts down for the summer each year?

Head coach
No there is plenty of ice during the summer

Reasons for plaing inline: He enjoys it, some different kids, a bit of different game (more wide Open), schedule allows for other sports to be played compared to the competitive ice teams formed during summer which travel just as much as the winter teams.

What he does is not uncommon in big inline area's ie Detroit, St. Louis, So Cal. Don't really have the time to defend the benefits of inline hockey but just look into ice hockey players who do play or have played inline

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=184553

Added to the list above TJ Oshie Blues First rounder,

Old
08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorgie 06 View Post
I agree with Headcoach, going from Ice to Inline back to Ice really isn't a good idea unless he only wants to play with friends. I would try to stay on Ice all year round. Find a competitve Spring Leauge or even do some 3 on 3 if your arena has it but it's generally not wise to play ice hockey and inline if you want to get better at ice hockey
I didn't get that from his post (unless you know that from past threads), though obviously Head Coach is implying that ice is preferred.

Certainly for a given 100 hours all ice is probably best, 100 hours on ice is better than 50 ice 50 inline, but isn't 100 hours of ice + 100 hours of inline better still?

Just to add: Dry rink rental here is roughly 40 to 50 bucks an hour compared to 150+ for ice, and you certainly can't skate on any ponds this time of year but you can inline anywhere there is a hard smooth surface.

So at what point in a players development, if any, does inline give very marginal returns or even become detrimental?

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 08-22-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
No there is plenty of ice during the summer

Reasons for plaing inline: He enjoys it, some different kids, a bit of different game (more wide Open), schedule allows for other sports to be played compared to the competitive ice teams formed during summer which travel just as much as the winter teams.

What he does is not uncommon in big inline area's ie Detroit, St. Louis, So Cal. Don't really have the time to defend the benefits of inline hockey but just look into ice hockey players who do play or have played inline

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=184553

Added to the list above TJ Oshie Blues First rounder,
Well, the reason why I ask is some rinks shut down for the winter, which forces kids to do in-line.

As for your son. In-line is nice, if he doesn't want to do a higher level of cometitive hockey. How there are a lot of people out there that would disagree with me and they want there kids to do Baseball, Soccer, Softball, Camping, Fishing...and the list goes on. Which is all fine, kids should get the chance to try it all.

However, if you child is bucking for that spot on the travel team...don't do it! Why? Because kids that want to make the travel team in the Fall, play through the Summer, so when try-outs come, they are in shape and the kid that doesn't, get cut.

I see it all the time. Then parents get mad because their kid played travel last year and they feel that he should make the team this year. But, the sad part is, he out of shape and it takes several weeks for him to get back into shape.

What happens to the kid that comes to the try-out prepaired and skates his heart out to make the team? Does a coach tell the kid..."Sorry you didn't make it because the kids that is throwing up on the bench played with us last year, so he gets the first look and you don't!"

However, after doing this for over 30 years, I have seen that happen to, too many kids. Just take this advice for what it worth. I know it really doesn't answer your question. But, in a round about way...kind of, I'm hoping it does.

Head coach

Old
08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Well, the reason why I ask is some rinks shut down for the winter, which forces kids to do in-line.

As for your son. In-line is nice, if he doesn't want to do a higher level of cometitive hockey. How there are a lot of people out there that would disagree with me and they want there kids to do Baseball, Soccer, Softball, Camping, Fishing...and the list goes on. Which is all fine, kids should get the chance to try it all.

However, if you child is bucking for that spot on the travel team...don't do it! Why? Because kids that want to make the travel team in the Fall, play through the Summer, so when try-outs come, they are in shape and the kid that doesn't, get cut.

I see it all the time. Then parents get mad because their kid played travel last year and they feel that he should make the team this year. But, the sad part is, he out of shape and it takes several weeks for him to get back into shape.

What happens to the kid that comes to the try-out prepaired and skates his heart out to make the team? Does a coach tell the kid..."Sorry you didn't make it because the kids that is throwing up on the bench played with us last year, so he gets the first look and you don't!"

However, after doing this for over 30 years, I have seen that happen to, too many kids. Just take this advice for what it worth. I know it really doesn't answer your question. But, in a round about way...kind of, I'm hoping it does.

Head coach
I see this has gotten way off topic but just to give my two cents

#1 My son makes his AAA travel squad quite easily. He has been playing inline and ice both since he was 4 years old and does quite well at both. He has won his fair share of awards/accolades at both. My original post was geared towards the players who play both inline and ice and just getting a feel for the average time it takes to go back and forth between the two. Not really to hear some coach who isn't around inline give his uneducated thoughts. (Look up the names Cason Hohlman, Rocco Grimaldi, and you'll see some very highly thought of prospects for "higher levels" who play both. Rocco lead his Little Caesars 92 team in scoring as a 93 birthyear. I think Little Caesars could be considered high enough competition by you.)

#2 You are very close to the hockey meca of So California I see. Maybe you need to do a little research into that area and why So Cal has been producing the talent they have been producing. 100% of the reason aint ice hockey I can tell you that. Gabe Gauthier, Robbie Earl, Brett Sterling, Noah Clarke all had inline as a huge part of their development. You must have totally ignored my post.

#3 5 players from the org I coach in were fortunate enough to make USA development camps this year. 4 out of the 5 players play inline and obviously ice at extremely high levels

Good luck and try to not be so closed minded when it comes to inline hockey players. Look at George Gwozdeky's roaster and you can see what his thoughts on the recruitment of inline players to his Division 1 program are.

Old
08-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Good luck and try to not be so closed minded when it comes to inline hockey players. Look at George Gwozdeky's roaster and you can see what his thoughts on the recruitment of inline players to his Division 1 program are.
Close minded...Never! Sorry that I left you feeling that why, that was not my intension. In fact, I have five roller hockey kids in my program right now that have made the jump. I find that they are very skillful but lack the knowledge on how to stop. Too be honest, stopping (IMHO) is over rated. I would rather have a bunch of in-line kids that keep their feet moving all the time rather than stopping all the time.

Head coach

Old
08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
hockeywidow

One of my boys does inline and travel ice hockey. He loves them both and says both are different in their own ways. He loves the openess of inline and that the rules are a little more laid back and that there's more contact. It's a slight transition back to ice but none that bothers him or the coach, it's very slight. He's learned so much from inline and not being a believer in it, but now I really do see the benefits!
I've heard you're supposed to play other sports to develop other muscles and endurance but this is all he wants to do, inline and ice hockey.

hockeywidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:45 PM
krax

The more you switch between both, the easier it gets to adapt.
Therefore, my advice would be to put on the ice-skates regularly during inline season and vice-versa.
Different sports fill your bag with different tools. The latter will be useful from time to time, even in one of the other sports. I would encourage hockey players, especially the younger ones, to practice any sports they have fun with.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Close minded...Never! Sorry that I left you feeling that why, that was not my intension. In fact, I have five roller hockey kids in my program right now that have made the jump. I find that they are very skillful but lack the knowledge on how to stop. Too be honest, stopping (IMHO) is over rated. I would rather have a bunch of in-line kids that keep their feet moving all the time rather than stopping all the time.

Head coach
Quote:
As for your son. In-line is nice, if he doesn't want to do a higher level of cometitive hockey........

However, if you child is bucking for that spot on the travel team...don't do it! Why? ........

Head coach
Ok Not sure then how else you would expect someone to take your comments quoted above.

I'll talk your word for it.

As far as your inline kids not knowing how to stop, you really must be dealing with lower level inline players and ice players. A high level inline player who is playing upper divisions at Narch and also attending U.S. development camps knows how to stop very well. Your players stopping ability has nothing to do with the fact they do or do not play inline, it has to do with their skill level.