HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD #9 Drafting Thread

Old
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
camperjr

vCash: 500
I am gone for the week now. I sent the list to pitseleh. I will be back by the 1st. hopfully I will get to vote if not I am sorry.

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjr View Post
I am gone for the week now. I sent the list to pitseleh. I will be back by the 1st. hopfully I will get to vote if not I am sorry.
Voting won't happen by then, so you'll be fine for votes.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Transplanted Caper

I believe I'm up now:

The Petes select: Wally Hergesheimer to re-connect with Paul Ronty,

Quote:
The odds against Wally Hergesheimer's success in hockey were as firmly stacked in place as sandbags against a flood. At the start of his pro career with the Minneapolis Millers in 1947, he stood 5' 8" and weighed only 145 pounds. He was also humourously known as "Fingers" because he'd lost his index and middle fingers up to the knuckles of his right hand in a punch-press accident.

"When I made it to the NHL," he recounted, "it was something I never really expected. It was little Wally this and little Wally that?but I just kept going and?everything seemed to fall into place."

By 1951, Hergesheimer was voted the AHL's most outstanding rookie on the strength of his 96 points in 82 games with the Cleveland Barons. The New Rangers brought him on board the following season. He quickly established a reputation for angling his way into the goal crease to cash rebounds into goals. His success earned him the nickname "Garbage Collector."

and D. Mike "no I won't be GMing this team" O'Connell.

Quote:
The talented blueliner opted to play junior hockey in Canada rather than attend a U.S. college. He became a playmaking standout for two years with the OHA's Kingston Canadians. After scoring 73 points in 50 games for Kingston in 1974-75, he was taken 43rd overall by the Chicago Black Hawks at the Amateur Draft. That year he was also voted on to the OHA first all-star team. He spent his first three pro seasons with the Dallas Black Hawks of the CHL and registered 135 assists during that period. After scoring 68 points in 63 games in 1976-77, he was named the top defenceman in the CHL and placed on the league's first all-star team.

O'Connell became a fan favourite in the Windy city by scoring 26 points in 48 games as a rookie in 1978-79. He played a solid role on the Hawk's blueline for another year-and-a-half until he was sacrificed to the Boston Bruins for power-forward Al Secord. O'Connell adjusted well to his new surroundings and was a member of Team USA at the 1981 Canada Cup.

The crafty playmaker was a constant in the Bruins' lineup for the equivalent of over five seasons and was often teamed with steady Mike Milbury. In 1982-83 he recorded a plus/minus mark of +44 and helped Boston reach the semi-finals. The next year he set career highs with 18 goals and 60 points and was a participant in the NHL All-Star Game.

Old
08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
seventieslord

A few notes:

1) Rossland's time expired and Peterborough asked to be skipped. I've PM'd GBC who should be around momentarily.

2) I was reading the MLD8 thread, and GBC mentioned Barney Stanley was high on his list for offensive defensemen. Am I missing something? I thought he was just a forward.

3) Anyone else notice that ATD9 picked the original six era clean? I'm ending up with a bunch of pre-NHLers and a bunch of post-67 guys but not much in the middle, and I see that happening a lot. I may end up getting a 3rd/4th liner and my 6th D-man from the O6 era but I don't see much else there.

edit: Correction to note 1, Peterborough has now picked... it's still Humboldt's turn.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:42 PM
God Bless Canada

I was mistaken on Barney Stanley. But I do believe he played some D...

Anyways, on to the picks.

With their first selection, the Humboldt Indians select an very, very good defensive centre with strong offensive abilities to play alongside Rejean Houle. A very, very smart player on and off the ice: C Syl Apps Jr.

And, with our other selection, we select another supremely smart, steady defensive defenceman to partner with Rick Green, a high-character blue-liner who should give us one of the best shut-down tandems in the draft: D Don Sweeney.

Whoever has camper's picks can announce them.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
pitseleh

It looks like camper might be around. I'll give him a couple minutes to post his picks, otherwise I'll make all four of his selections before I make Bergen's just to make things easier.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:49 PM
camperjr

The Kelowna Rockets Select Lw Reggie Fleming and Rw Tony Amonte

Last edited by camperjr: 08-22-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
pitseleh

Alright, as the last team to select a netminder, we'll take two: G Don Edwards and G "Sugar" Jim Henry.

With our next two picks, we'll select the innovator of the goalie tandem, to effectively manage Edwards and Henry, Coach Frank Boucher and an elite SH threat and a two-way player, W Brian Rolston.

EDIT: camper, I believe that McKenzie has been selected. He's listed by his nickname as "Pie" McKenzie in the ATD thread.

Edwards had a strong peak with two second team all-star selections, a fourth place Hart trophy finish, and a Vezina win while it was a GAA award during his prime. He was also a backup on the 1981 Canada Cup team. A small, athletic goalie, he relied on his reflexes to make acrobatic saves.

Henry gives us a strong backup who can take off a bunch of the workload for the small Edwards who only played more than 60 games in his career twice, ensuring he remains fresh for the playoffs. Henry was a tough competitor who also played an acrobatic style. Henry was a second team all-star once and also finished in third place for the Hart trophy. He was also a part of one of the most memorable hockey photos of all time.

Boucher was a tremendously innovative coach who won the Stanley Cup with the Rangers. His career coaching record does not look great but his Rangers teams were stripped of much of their talent during the War years. He has a first and second team all-star coaching selection and is known for many coaching innovations in the game, such as the tandem goalie system, pulling the goaltender near the end of the game, and developed the PK box.

Rolston is a 4 time 30+ goal scorer and 6 time 20+ goal scorer (plus two more seasons with 19) during a relatively low scoring era. He currently sits 13th all time in PK goals and finished top-3 in the league in this stat 4 times. He is a capable performer at both ends of the ice and is a good fit on a two-way line.

Last edited by pitseleh: 08-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
camperjr

With my next two pick the Rockets select Coach John Muckler and Defenseman Mika Stromberg.

Old
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
seventieslord

Wow, at this rate I am going to make another 4 picks before I go to sleep tonight.

Looks like it's already back to Humboldt.

Some thoughts on players selected:

Hergescheimer: Way to pick clean the last of the scorers from the original six. Good regular season pick, but 5 career NHL playoff games is a concern.

O'Connell: What you see is what you get.

Apps: I was wondering when he'd get taken.

Sweeney: Just a smart, solid defenseman, but nothing special.

Fleming: Can't say I'm a big fan.

Amonte: This guy stuck out like a sore thumb. I was wondering when someone was going to take him. Pretty much just like Guerin without the toughness. Same imperfect playoff record, same speed/shot/career numbers/peak. If no one took him this round, I may have taken him and dropped someone down because by the 900th pick he would be just too good a value.

Edwards/Henry: Possibly the two best remaining. I didn't need them as I can afford to wait longer for my backup, but in a perfect world one of them would have fallen to me.

Boucher: I wrangled with this choice for a long time and eventually settled on Ross. The results were jsut better. But Boucher was my second choice. I think these two stood out among all other coaches, along with Kilrea.

Rolston: Rolston really should be selected in the ATD as a 13th forward, given his versatility. I wanted him but kept finding players I wanted even more. He'd have been a Regina Capital later tonight.

Muckler: Decent pick, nothing special.

Stromberg: Ummmm, I don't know who that is. So either kudos to you for picking a player I don't know, or it was a pick wasted on a nobody. I'll have a better idea once I get home to my books.

Still not many players are being taken who were born in the 20's or 30's.

Old
08-22-2008, 06:37 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
To do something unique and fun, Rossland selects our coach and second line centre in the same guy. Technically by draft rules he'll count as two people, but this man would be very comfortable as a playing coach just as he was for the 1961 World Champion Smoke Eaters.

C and Coach Bobby Kromm

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Bobby Kromm is a former NHL head coach who won the Jack Adams Award in 1978, turning the Detroit Red Wings around by 37 more points in the standings than the team's previous year's record. They finished second in the standings that year behind the Montreal Canadiens. The Red Wings made the playoffs for the first time in eight years, and even played in the second round before losing to the Scotty Bowman-led Canadiens. Kromm and the Red Wings managed to win one game of the series (game two), but Montreal went on to win the series in five games and then advanced to win the Stanley Cup.

Prior to coaching the Wings, Kromm had been a successful coach in the World Hockey Association, where he had guided the high-flying Winnipeg Jets to the 1976 Avco Cup championship. That fall, he was as an assistant coach for Canada at the inaugural Canada Cup.

In 1961 Kromm took an underdog team from Trail, British Columbia to a World Championship win over the Russians. The Trail Smoke Eaters represented Canada that year.
http://www.bchhf.com/Inductees/kromm.htm

Quote:
His 17-year playing career in the Western International Hockey League started in 1948 and included stops in Kimberley, Trail and Nelson. By the time he had hung up his skates, Kromm was the WIHL's all-time leader in points (783) and assists (524), and was second all-time in games played (475)

Bobby Kromm's success as a coach was evident even before his playing days were over. He was the playing coach of the Trail Smoke Eaters from 1959 to 1963, leading to the team to the World Hockey Championship in 1961. He also coached the Smokies to the 1962 Allan Cup championship in 1962, and earned Trail the right to represent Canada at the 1963 World Championships. From the Western International Hockey League, Kromm moved to the Central Hockey League, where he coached the Dallas Black Hawks from 1967 to 1975, leading the Black Hawks to the league championship series six times, winning in three times. He was named the CHL's coach of the year in 1972.

A move up to the World Hockey Association followed in 1975, as Kromm coached the Winnipeg Jets from 1975-1977, leading the team to the Avco Cup WHA championship during his first season. He was also named the league's coach of the year that season.
His stats are not available without having a membership to this website:

http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...layer_id=45714

However they're impressive. Senior hockey or not, Kromm was an all-star point producer. He once lead his league in playoff scoring and twice lead the league in playoff assists. He also played a tough game, twice picking up more than 100 PIMs in 40 game seasons. Not a well known player in pro circles, but a Senior hockey legend and a coach who won at every level.

Last edited by shawnmullin: 08-22-2008 at 06:43 PM.
shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
God Bless Canada

The Humboldt Indians are pleased to add some more grit to their line-up with these two picks.

The first will tentatively be our second line centre. One of the best goal scoring centres in the draft, he hit 40 goals twice and 30 goals five times, while providing lots of gumption. He was nearly a point-per-game player in the post-season, too: C Dave Gagner.

Our other selection will be the first selection for our fourth line, although he could slide into our third line. A raleh revelation from the last MLD, he topped out at 29 goals, and his toughness made him the epitome of the Big, Bad Bruins: LW John Wensink.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 08-22-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Transplanted Caper

The Petes select C. Jason Arnott and RW. Mike Grier

Old
08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
vancityluongo

Nice pick with Gagner, GBC. I was considering him way back when I picked Lacroix. He fell a lot IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Still not many players are being taken who were born in the 20's or 30's.
I've got 3: Mayorov x2 and Tikal. Also have Jerwa and Prodgers who played in the 20's and 30's.

I don't think there's any less in this draft then in previous ones.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
vancityluongo

Can anyone take my list? mullin is around, pits has chaos' list and him and seventies are never gone for too long.

I should be around until 8, but I have to go out after that, and I probably won't be around again until tommorow afternoon.

Old
08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Can anyone take my list? mullin is around, pits has chaos' list and him and seventies are never gone for too long.

I should be around until 8, but I have to go out after that, and I probably won't be around again until tommorow afternoon.
I'll be around

Old
08-22-2008, 07:07 PM
seventieslord

I can take your list, but I pick before you. Do you mean 8 PM EST? cause that's now. Or do you mean 8 PM in Vancouver? I think that's still 3 hrs away. You might be ok.

Old
08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
God Bless Canada

In today's headlines...

GBC comments on selections
By Dickie Dunn
of the Humboldt Journal

Humboldt Indians GM God Bless Canada took time to comment on recent selections following a flurry of activity that saw seven players selected in a 24-hour span:

C Syl Apps Jr: Probably one of the best two-way forwards in the draft. For a four-year span, he was an outstanding offensive force. He's not his Dad, but he still thinks the game at another level, and he's very effective in both ends of the ice. A real steal at this point in the draft.

C Dave Gagner: Probably the best combination of goal scoring ability and toughness among centres in the draft. Few centres in the minor league draft had five 30-goal seasons; I would doubt that any of them have Dave's toughness or resiliency. A nice change of pace from Billy Taylor.

LW John Wensink: I had him in the last minor league draft, and he was one of our most valuable players. An outstanding fourth line forward. He's big and tough and mean, but he has an all right scorer's touch. A force on the forecheck and a perfect guy to start our Momentum Line.

RW Lorne Carr: A lot of people chastize him as being a product of the war years. He was a first line winger alongside Sweeney Schriner and Art Chapman long before the war began. A really solid goal-scoring forward who finished top 10 in goals twice before the war.

RW Regean Houle: A perfect player for the minor league draft. He's not an elite defensive winger from an all-time perspective, but I think Mush March is the only one as good as Houle for the minor league draft. Reggie's a solid scorer who can provide spot duty on the second line, and a good leader. A solid complimentary player on five Cup champs.

D Darryl Sydor: We'll be counting on Sydor to be a reliable offensive producer for our team. He makes a good first pass out of his own zone. He can quarterback a power play and he has a good shot from the point. He's all right defensively, but with guys like Green and Don Sweeney on hand, Sydor won't have to worry about being a shut-down guy. Two time Cup champion.

D Don Sweeney: One of my all-time favourite guys. Just a super player to have on your team. He's not flashy. He was always underrated. But those who know the game realize just what a wonderful player Donnie was. Smart, steady, rock-solid reliability. Good enough to be Ray Bourque's defence partner for years. Sweeney and Rick Green will be counted on to log big minutes against the opposition's top line.

GBC also noted that Dennis Hextall has been moved to the first line, and Marc Tardif to the second line, to give the first line more of a physical presence. It'll also add more skill to the second line, as Tardif was a better playmaker than Hextall, but a better offensive player.

GBC also said that a decision hasn't been made on the captain's front. Green, Sweeney and Apps will all wear letters. Houle and Wensink are also candidates to have a letter. A decision will be made once the coaching staff is finalized.

And he applauded his fellow GMs for the speed of the draft, noting that more than half of the draft has been completed in four-and-a-half days.

Old
08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I can take your list, but I pick before you. Do you mean 8 PM EST? cause that's now. Or do you mean 8 PM in Vancouver? I think that's still 3 hrs away. You might be ok.
3 hours from now. Around 7:30, I'll send in a list to both of you if needed. Thanks guys.

Old
08-22-2008, 07:20 PM
God Bless Canada

*I'm surprised that Amonte was available. Wasn't on my list. I'm not an Amonte fan, but no denying the guy was one of the top goal scorers available. I'd still go with Lorne Carr, but I have a bit of a bias towards southeast Saskatchewan players.

*I love Mike Grier, but he just doesn't scream MLD yet to me. Big guy. Great wheels. Lots of heart. Strong on the forecheck. But even a fourth line role might be expecting a little much.

*Sugar Jim Henry was a terrific pick. He was No. 2 on my goalie ranking, right behind McLean. I can't believe that he dropped this far. I think he's better than Edwards.

*Boucher is also a terrific pick. A top-notch coaching option. There are a couple coaches still out there on Boucher's level, but none who are clearly a cut above.

*I'm not sold on Rolston as an MLD option. I think he's a good player, but is he cut out for this level? I don't think so. The only reason he's considered is he's active.

Old
08-22-2008, 08:20 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
*Sugar Jim Henry was a terrific pick. He was No. 2 on my goalie ranking, right behind McLean. I can't believe that he dropped this far. I think he's better than Edwards.
It was pretty much a tossup between the two for me, and I could see Sugar Jim being the starter. I'll have to decide that with Wisent.

Quote:
*I'm not sold on Rolston as an MLD option. I think he's a good player, but is he cut out for this level? I don't think so. The only reason he's considered is he's active.
I'm not a fan of career stats, but the guy is coming up on 1000 games, 300 goals, and 700 points which is fairly impressive for a player who's always been a really good penalty killer and solid defensive presence.

He's not the physical presence of comparable players who were third/fourth liners in the ATD (Mario Tremblay, Mike McPhee, Jim Peplinski, etc.) but he's better offensively, and that's why he's in that role in the MLD rather than the ATD.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
shawnmullin

Another unknown quality we're throwing in there, another former Smoke Eater....

RW John McCreedy

From LOH:

Quote:
Johnny McCreedy played most of his hockey career in western Canada in the 1930s and 1940s and was commonly recognized as one of the better goal scorers of his era. He had a smooth-skating style and what he lacked in size, he made up for in quickness.

In 20 Allan Cup matches he had 20 goals. The highlight of his career came in that 1939-40 season when he represented Canada at the World Championships.

McCreedy had long been overlooked by scouts from NHL teams and did not get his first chance to play in the NHL until 1941-42, playing in 47 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs on a team which included star players such as Gordie Drillon, Syl Apps and goaltender Turk Broda. He scored 15 goals and 23 points. In 13 playoff games he scored seven points en route to the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in the seventh and deciding game over the Detroit Red Wings.

McCreedy's hockey career, like many others, was shut down for a couple of years during World War Two and he was limited to playing a few games with the Toronto and Brantford RCAF teams. In 1944-45 he returned to the Maple Leafs for one more season. Once again the Leafs won the Stanley Cup, beating Detroit in seven games

Old
08-22-2008, 09:28 PM
shawnmullin

I know my picks are going to seem like reaches to some but this is the MLD, have run right?

Next up Castlegar's own C Shawn Horcoff.

Quote:
Shawn played one season of junior hockey in BC, but dominated so thoroughly that he scored 49 goals and 96 assists for a league-best 145 points, was named to the First All-Star Team and was named the BCJHL's Player of the Year. Then, Shawn enrolled at Michigan State for four years, contining to play responsible hockey with a leaning to offense. Horcoff exploded offensively during his final season at Michigan State, recording a league-best 65 points on 14 goals and 51 assists during 1999-2000. That season culminated in Horcoff's selection as a CCHA First Team All-Star and the league's Player of the Year as well as being named to the NCAA West's First All-American Team.

Following a season which saw Horcoff record a career high 73 points (22-51-73) in 2005-06, the centreman eagerly awaited his return to the NHL playoffs. Horcoff would deliver offensively in the 2006 playoffs, scoring 19 points in just 24 games. Despite Horcoff's effort however, the Edmonton Oilers run for their sixth Stanley Cup was ended by the Carolina Hurricanes.

On the international stage, Horcoff is a two-time gold medalist with Canada's World Championship team (2003-2004).
Two seasons in the NHL at a PPG pace. Very responsible two way player. Clutch performer in the playoffs. Leadership and character. A guy who works constantly to improve his game. One of the smartest, fittest players in the current game.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
shawnmullin

Is Pit taking care of Belleville for now?

Old
08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
pitseleh

Yep, I've got Belleville.

Belleville selects Coach Randy Carlyle and RW Mark Napier.