HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD #9 Drafting Thread

Old
08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
vancityluongo

vCash: 500
Vancouver Giants:

LW Morris Lukowich
LW Nick Libett
D Lee Fogolin Jr.
D Dana Murzyn

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Transplanted Caper

Please skip me again if I come up tonight. Won't be around. Thanks.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 07:40 PM
seventieslord

I'll be making my picks in a moment.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 07:51 PM
seventieslord

D Howard McNamara - this completes my D-corps and nicely balances out the two smaller players I have back there.

RW Jimmy Peters Sr. - I will most likely have him in a shutdown role on my 3rd line.

More to come later. I will PM the next team.

wow, we're almost done. Nothing but extras to select now!

Old
08-23-2008, 07:57 PM
pitseleh

Belleville selects D Jocelyn Guevremont and RW Leroy Goldsworthy.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 08:33 PM
seventieslord

C Rick Meagher - the last player to win the Selke based solely on his defensive ability and not due to a combination of offense and defense.

-Recipient of the 1990 Selke trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward
-4th in Selke voting in 1989, 6th in 1988, 11th in 1986.
-7th in SHG in 1987-88, 15 total career SHG.

Quote:
A quick centre who could check diligently and create scoring chances, Rick Meagher played nearly 700 NHL games for four different clubs. His best years came with the St. Louis Blues in the 1980s.

Meagher showed he was a bona fide NHLer when he scored 24 goals while teamed with two complete nobodies in 1981-82. Early the next season, the speedy forward was traded to the New Jersey Devils where he checked and saw time on the power play.

A trade to the St. Louis Blues in August 1985, allowed Meagher to find his niche as a big leaguer. Playing behind star playmaker Bernie Federko, he was allowed to play his exemplary two-way game while becoming one of the top penalty killers in the league. His excellent work helped the Blues come within a game of reaching the Stanley Cup finals in 1986.In 1990, Meagher's value was recognized when he won the Frank J. Selke trophy as the NHL's best defensive forward. He battled injuries in 1990-91 but returned to play nine playoff games before retiring.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-24-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Skip my picks if you get back to them and if I havent responded saying im back. Im leaving tommorow but im not sure what time.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
God Bless Canada

I believe mullin's time is up, and TC asked to be skipped, so I am now up.

The Humboldt Indians are pleased to round out their two-way line with a bona fide short handed threat, a smart penalty killer and defensive winger, and a two-time Stanley Cup champion: LW Dave Reid.

And we're pleased to round out our defence with a talented blue-liner who can quarterback our second power play unit: D John Van Boxmeer.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:35 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
And we're pleased to round out our defence with a talented blue-liner who can quarterback our second power play unit: D John Van Boxmeer.
Ugh. I just noticed that he was still available a few hours ago but figured there wasn't much chance he'd slip by you this time around.

camper selects LW Shawn Antoski, RW Tie Domi, D Pat Quinn, and D Brian Campbell.

I'll have our picks in a few minutes.

Old
08-24-2008, 12:43 AM
pitseleh

Bergen selects D Udo Kiessling, RW Claude Larose, LW Yuri Lebedev, and D Jim McKenny.

Kiessling was a rock solid, physical defensive defenseman and was voted as the second greatest player and greatest defenseman produced in Germany. He was the German league player of the year 3 times and was a first team all-star, which is relatively unprecedented for someone playing for team West Germany.

"Kiessling, often described as Germany's hockey "heart," was the long time captain of the German national team. He played in 320 international matches, once a IIHF record, scoring 44 goals. Kiessling played in 1020 German league games, scoring 346 goals and 535 assists for 881 points as a defenseman. His best years came when he played with Kolner EC where he helped the team win six national titles. He was also named the top player in Germany on three occasions.

Though small by NHL standards, he was a physical defender. In fact some Canadian import players in the German leagues accused Kiessling of being a very dirty player who was protected by the referees because of his stature. He came from good hockey bloodlines, as his father Gerhard was the East German national team coach until they defected to West Germany. Gerhard would coach the West German national team from 1966-1973, including two Olympics."

http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...kiessling.html

Larose was a member of five Stanley Cup championships and was a solid two-way worker who cracked the 20 goal mark 5 times. He was also a tough player who added grit to the early sixties Canadiens and was willing to stand up for his teammates. According to Beliveau, "We became the toughest team in the League in 1963–64, which dismayed the opposition."

Lebedev: Anisin's long time linemate, those two along with their linemate led a huge underdog Krylya Sovetov team to the Soviet Championship in 1974. "Lebedev was not as slick in skating as his linemates but he was a fighting spirit behind the successes of his line and had great stick handling skills. He was one of the most respected forwards in the Soviet hockey and played for the national team longer than his linemates."

According to Lebedev, the Summit Series opened his eyes to the world of physical play:

"The series taught me an important lesson. Canadians like Gary Bergman and Bill White played a very tough game. As a result, they created a lot of free space around them. After the series, I tried to play tough all my career." - Yuri Lebedev

According to Harry Sinden, during the Summit Series (speaking of the Anisin/Lebedev combination): "[t]hey put out that young line we hadn't seen before and they dominated us."

McKenny was a strong offensive defenseman who broke the 40 point plateau 5 times during his career. He was a high risk/high reward type defenseman and will only be inserted into the lineup if the team is in need of some additional offense from the bottom pairing.

Last edited by pitseleh: 08-24-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 12:52 AM
God Bless Canada

Camper's team just became a whole lot tougher to play against...

The Humboldt Indians are proud to select, as their fourth line centre, a personal favourite, a tough, talented, highly intelligent pivot who is a terrific leader, and, at age 23, has shown he can thrive in all situations: C Mike Richards. A completely sentimental selection.

And, with our other pick, we are pleased to land our seventh defenceman. We believe that the most important attribute for spare picks is character. You want guys who can be seventh defencemen, and not detract from the team. We've found a high-character defensive stalward to be our seventh defenceman. One of the most popular Vancouver Canucks of all-time. The chants of Harrrrr-olllllld will permeate from our rink: D Harold Snepsts.

TC and mullin were previously skipped. Is Belleville up, or did chaos want to be skipped, too? Does that mean 70s is up?

Old
08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
pitseleh

chaos asked to be skipped and I don't have anyone left on his list so I guess that means that we go back to seventies.

Old
08-24-2008, 05:38 AM
seventieslord

RW Alf Skinner - A gritty scorer with a penchant for coming up big when the cup is on the line. Has the offensive credentials to play in the top-6, and the energy and phyical play to be useful in the bottom-6. A great value pick - at worst, he's the Martin Gelinas of his time... at best, Bill Barber.

5'10", 180 - great size for the 1920's.
Stanley Cup Champion - 1918
Retroactive Conn Smythe - 1918 (8 goals and 11 points in 7 games, upstaging Cyclone)
PCHA 2nd All-star team - 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923

1915 - NHA - 6th in PIM
1917 - NHA - 10th in assists, 7th in PIM
1919 - NHL - 6th in goals, 7th in assists, 6th in points
1920 - PCHA - 3rd in goals, 5th in points, 5th in PIM
1921 - PCHA - 3rd in goals, 6th in points, 4th in PIM
1922 - PCHA - 8th in goals
1923 - PCHA - 9th in goals, 9th in PIM
1924 - PCHA - 3rd in PIM

Playoffs (rankings are across all major leagues since they all competed for the cup):
1918 - 2nd in goals, 3rd in assists, 2nd in points. Retro Smythe. Stanley Cup.
1921 - 2nd in goals, 2nd in points.

5 times top-10 in goals, all in top leagues.
1 time top-10 in assists, in a top league.
3 times top-10 in points in top leagues.
6 times top-10 in PIM, in top leagues.

Quote:
...All that changed when the Arenas met the Vancouver Millionaires, the champions of the Pacific Coast Hockey League, for the 1918 Stanley Cup. Cyclone Taylor had joined the Patrick brothers in Vancouver and as a superstar was expected to dominate for the Millionaires in the finals. But instead it was Skinner who exploded, scoring seven goals in the first three games of the five-game series. He scored again in the final game to help Toronto win the title and gain the newly formed NHL the instant recognition that comes with a Stanley Cup. Skinner played one more season in Toronto and was then enticed to join the Vancouver team he'd helped defeat the previous year. He played in Vancouver for five years, three with the Millionaires and two with the Maroons. His team went almost all the way, reaching four Stanley Cup finals, but he never repeated the success of his first games in the west.
According to The Trail of the Stanley Cup, Skinner scored the momentum-changing goal in the decisive 5th game of the epic finals.
Quote:
They were all over Toronto in the first period and led on a goal by Taylor set up by MacKay...Eventually, the aggressive tactics of Toronto began to wear their lighter opponents down and after Alf Skinner tied the score the westerners began to wilt.
Career totals:
Top Levels: 251-114-37-151-437
Other Levels: 86-24-8-32-145
Top Level playoffs & Stanley Cup: 40-18-6-24-83

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 05:42 AM
seventieslord

sorry guys, I was writing a bio for the last 10 minutes... trying to catch up on them as I feel that it's important to post something about your picks.

OMG.... Antoski and Domi? Domi I could get behind, a little. But Antoski? Especially when you already have Domi...

Based on the times it appears that my time is now up. So I'm skipped. I'll continue to write my bios as I am not yet sure who to take.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:00 AM
seventieslord

D Bobby Rowe

Rowe is a 5-time PCHA postseason all-star - First team in 1918, 1919, and 1923. Second team in 1917 and 1920. He's been deemed the retroactive winner of the PCHA's 1920 Norris trophy as well.

Quote:
From 1911 to 1915, Rowe was a member of the Aristocrats before being traded to the PCHA's Seattle Metropolitans prior to the 1915-16 season. Rowe spent nine seasons with the Metropolitans, capturing PCHA First Team All-Star honours (1918, 1919, 1923) and PCHA Second Team All-Star honours (1917, 1920).

Bobby Rowe was a member of the Seattle team that competed in the 1919 Stanley Cup Challenge Series against Montreal that was cancelled due to the influenza epidemic and was a member of the 1920 team which fell short against Ottawa.
Rowe was a forward until 1916 when he went to Seattle at age 31. He played the next 10 years as a defenseman and this is where he earned all his accolades. The Trail of the Stanley Cup has this to say:

Quote:
A big, strong player*...he was a rugged player and drew quite a few penalties...he was on five championship teams and one Stanley Cup winner.
*he must have played bigger than he was, because I have him at 5'6" and 160.

-Stanley Cup in 1917
-Led NHA and PCHA in PIM 3 times

Career totals:
Top Level: 269-68-124-546
Playoffs & Cup Games: 27-3-8-11-49

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-24-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 06:05 AM
seventieslord

LW/C Darryl Sutter

Quote:
... Darryl spent the majority of the 1979-80 season with the team's AHL affiliate in New Brunswick and won the Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award as the league's top rookie for 1980 as well as being named to the second all-star team.

The 1980-81 season saw Sutter stay with Chicago where he played his entire career. Sutter was the Hawks captain for several seasons but had several years where injuries took up more time than playing did. After eight seasons in Chicago, Sutter stepped out of his skates in 1987.
I'm proud to add this determined, hard-working player. He has talent, he has grit, and he is clean. his playoff record is also impeccable, going from 0.69 PPG in the regular season, to 0.84 in April and May.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 06:12 AM
seventieslord

LW/C Patrik Sundstrom

Sundstrom got no love last time around but he is a very deserving MLD pick as a defensive line player - not to mention he's got tons of talent too - he finished at or near a point per game 5 times. Sundstrom was a great penalty killer who received Selke votes in a few seasons, finishing as high as 10th and 14th in voting.

Sundstrom was also the 1982 Swedish player of the year in the elite league - no small accomplishment.

Quote:
After two seasons of junior hockey in his home country Sweden, Patrik Sundstrom represented his country at the World Junior Championships in 1980 where the team won a bronze medal. This year also saw Sundstrom drafted by the Canucks. He joined his twin brother, Peter, in the World Juniors the next year where he led the team to a gold medal and was named the tournament's best forward.

The 1981-82 season saw Sundstrom play in Sweden where he was named the Swedish player of the year as well as representing Tre Kronor in the Canada Cup and World Championships. Sundstrom was a part of the 1987-88 New Jersey team that made a run for Lord Stanley's Cup, but the Boston Bruins who took the series in the seventh and deciding game stopped the team in the conference finals.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:17 AM
seventieslord

C Bruce MacGregor

Quote:
There's a great deal to be said for consistency, and that is exactly the term applied to Bruce MacGregor for much of his career. Playing with his hometown Edmonton Oil Kings of the CAHL, MacGregor's team twice went to the Memorial Cup.

Once he joined the Wings in 1960-61, he was there for good, playing ten full seasons with Detroit. While with the Motor City, MacGregor flourished under the mentoring of Ted Lindsay. That season, MacGregor scored 28 goals, his highest NHL output. The next season, he joined Paul Henderson and Norm Ullman on a line that became known as the HUM Line; second to the Production Line as the most explosive in Red Wing history.

Although never a bona fide scorer, MacGregor possessed a tenacity that earned him a spot on Team Canada's 1974 WHA Summit Series roster.
470 points in 893 games and a solid 47 playoff points as well, despite having no Stanley Cup.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:26 AM
seventieslord

D Howard McNamara

Howard is the lesser of the McNamara brothers, but was still a force in his own right. He was 6'0" and 240 pounds and in today's terms, well, I don't even want to think about how big that makes him. He was never a star player, but was always one of the biggest, strongest, and meanest players of his time, and enjoyed team success, so in that regard he is the Jeff Beukeboom of his time. Even that may be unfair to McNamara, as he did show flashes of brilliance. In 1916, he was the NHA's highest scoring defenseman. In 1917, he was 6th, but was on pace for 2nd had he played every game.

Quote:
Defenseman Howard McNamara was one of the biggest players of his era, tipping to scales at 240 pounds. Growing up as a kid he was always bigger than the others, and by the age of 15 he was playing with the Montreal Shamrocks of the ECHA in 1908-09.
McNamara loved to play the body and be physical. It was rare that an opponent would openly challenge him in the corners, usually outweighing them by at least 50 or 60 pounds.
Stanley Cup - 1916

Old
08-24-2008, 06:32 AM
seventieslord

RW Jimmy Peters

The latest in the "got no love last time" category. He's back for a second tour of duty. This shutdown player will team with Rick Meagher to form a formidable shutdown duo. It seemed that every time the guy changed teams he won another Stanley Cup. He finished with three, in 1946, 1950, and 1954.

Quote:
Jimmy Peters was a scrappy winger who was known as a "Fighting Irishman" in the company of the Flying Frenchmen of Quebec.

In the early years, Peters usually skated on the Habs' defensive line with ************ and Ken Mosdell and sometimes with Billy Reay. In that context, Peters excelled as an effective checker and a nifty stickhandler with a respectable shot.

During the finals of his first big-league season, Peters and his defensive corps were instrumental in shutting down the Bruins' Kraut Line of Schmidt, Bauer, and Dumart. The end result was a Stanley Cup victory for the Habs.

Over the years that followed, Peters put in stints with the Bruins, Wings and Hawks. His time in the Motor City was his most successful as his team won the Stanley Cup in 1950 and 1954.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:44 AM
seventieslord

It's time for Regina to select a backup goaltender, and we gladly select the only three-time Vezina finalist available:

"King" Henrik Lundqvist

Lundqvist already has 104 wins and only 58 losses after three NHL seasons. He also has 17 shutouts to go along with them. His 2.27 GAA and .917 sv% are both sterling. He has finished 4th and 9th in the NHL in sv% and 4th, 7th, and 11th in wins. He has managed to get to the second round of the playoffs (something only 1/4 of the league can do) in both of the past two years. Lundqvist was also excellent in Sweden prior to coming to North America.

Lundqvist was good enough to be the backup on the finalist NY Americans in MLD8. With another elite season under his belt, he's gotta be a very solid pick.

Old
08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
seventieslord

Just in case we need an offensive ringer -

RW Alex Shibicky

Quote:
After a short stint with the Rangers with 1935-36, Shibicky caught on for the long haul with the Blueshirts in 1936-37. In the company of the Colville brothers, the trio of youngsters absorbed every fine point of the game conveyed to them by the veteran Cook brothers. Soon the three sparkplugs were skating like bone fide NHLers.

As the decade advanced, the Rangers continued to add the pieces that would lead them down the Stanley Cup path. By 1939-40, the mix came together with an outstanding run, first past the Bruins and then the Leafs in the finals to claim the championship. While grappling against Toronto, Shibicky broke his ankle in three places, but kept the injury a secret. The team's doctor simply froze his leg up to the knee and sent him back onto the ice.

At the close of the 1941-42 campaign, Shibicky, like so many other NHLers, put his career aside to join the military for the duration of World War II. In 1945-46, he reclaimed his place on the Rangers' roster for 33 games and was then demoted to the Providence Reds of the AHL.
Shibicky finished 6th in the NHL in assists in 1940, and also finished 2nd, 7th, and 10th in goals in 1939, 1942, and 1938. He won a Stanley Cup in 1940 with the Rangers with the above gutsy performance. Overall, he has an outstanding playoff record, maintaining his PPG level into the playoffs, where scoring always dropped considerably in those years.

Playoff exploits:
1937: 3rd in assists, 5th in points
1939: 4th in goals
1940: 3rd in assists, 3rd in points

Old
08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
pitseleh

So I believe vcl's time is now up.

Regina selects Alan "Eagle Eye" Cameron and LW/C Mike Krushelnyski.

I think that GBC is back on the clock now (with chaos and TC asking to be skipped), but I'm not sure.

Old
08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
seventieslord

D Alan "Eagle Eye" Cameron

I wonder how many of you have heard of this guy. He was the best defenseman of the five-year period where organized hockey existed before the Stanley Cup. Ultimate Hockey credits him with a retro Norris for 1887, 1889, 1890, and 1891, and a retro hart in 1891.

Excerpts from Ultimate Hockey's bio:

Quote:
...he toiled with the Crystals until 1887, when MAAA snapped him up. The mustachioed "toque blue tromper" or "the rusher in the blue toque" - would flower into a top-flight cover-point, captaining the famous winged wheelers until his retirement in 1895...Cameron was the very engine of the winged wheel attack. He was quite simply the most complete player of the 1880's. His genius for the two-way game was soon the talk of the circuit. According to newsmen, "nothing escaped Cameron's eyes." his defensive abilities were every bit as sharp as *******'s and possibly the finest in the AHAC.
Cameron captained the MAAA team for 9 seasons, winning 7 league titles and the two inagural Stanley Cups in 1893 and 1894. He played a total of 46 games, scoring 3 goals and providing the solid two-way game and leadership required for victory. Under his watch, MAAA went 44-14 over those 9 years.

Yes, this is a player from the earliest days of organized recorded hockey. But if we are to consider all eras somewhat equal, Allan Cameron is a great defenseman with similar credentials to Dickie Boon, Graham Drinkwater or Mike Grant. If his teammate, Tom Paton, can be a backup goalie on a successful ATD team, then Eagle Eye can certainly be a 7th D on a successful MLD team.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-24-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 03:26 PM
God Bless Canada

I have no idea what's going on, but pit says I'm up, so I'm up.

With their first of two selections, we are pleased to add a high character 13th forward who is an icon in the Quebec senior league, an outstanding leader who should be in the HHOF builder's wing: C Herb Carnegie.

And, in keeping with GBC tradition, we'll look to Canada's junior leagues for our assistant coach and final selection. A two-time Memorial Cup champion with the New Westminster Bruins, and a Memorial Cup finalist with the Estevan Bruins (both organizations trace their roots to the Humboldt Indians), one of the greatest junior coaches ever: Assistant Coach Ernie "Punch" McLean.