HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting back into the game

Old
08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Green13

vCash: 500
Getting back into the game

I used to play hockey as a kid and played a few seasons in my local league, now I'm getting back into the game as a university student and I've noticed my skating sucks!

Well more specifically, my ankles seem to be leaning in and wearing my inside edges off faster than my outside. I cant even skate on my outside edges, I feel too unbalanced like my ankles are moving around too much in my skates, it almost hurts. My skatese fit fine lengthwise, perhaps its too wide? I often find myself re-tieing my skates on the bench maybe they aren't tied tight enough? Should I get new laces? New skates?

Also, I need advice on the lies of sticks, mine seems too short and I have to really bend my knees to be able to get low enough to use the entire blade of the stick. I'm going to be playing the wing so I wanted to know what kind of lie is best.

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Well, it's not really something your supposed to do, but I have sort of the same problem unstable ankles, so I always use sock tape. I pull my shinpad over the tongue of my skate, and with the ankle I always do one light wrap around the skate by the top of the laces, then move up my shinpad doing tight wraps.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 10:35 PM
XweekendwarriorX

just keep on skating you should get use to it after a few hours of skating or a few days or work pending on how long you skate each day. with the stick make sure its a senior stick than also make sure the length is right usally your nose without skates chin with skates on should be how tall the stick is. if you want cut a small bit off at first and see if you like it short or long. i seen centerman i played with use stick that come to there nipples and after the draw grab a different one from the bench to be able to shoot but overall the stick is the main thing you wanna be comfortable with. and with your skating just keep going out there and doing your best soone than later you should not have that ankle bend.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Green13

Could it be that these skates were bought used, and they've been heat moulded to a larger or wider foot? Maybe I need to buy some skates that support a skinnier foot?

Old
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Are they actually too wide? Does your forefoot slide side to side, or does your heel shift up and down?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Green13

Not really, but I have to flex my feet in order for my skates to stay upright or else they just slant inwards... It's weird..

Old
08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

That might be a product of your skates being low cut. On the plus side, this will force you to develop good edge work. Sounds like you just need to practice taking slow strides and making sure you actually "feel" that you're gliding on both your inside and outside edges as much as possible.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What kind of skates are they?

I did the same thing, played as a kid and took it up again as an adult. I bought a cheap pair of skates that fit great, but after a few months the boot broke down because they were not durable. I could literally twist the blade back and forth with my bare hands.

If you're serious about playing, I'd look into getting a new pair of mid-level skates. In the $150-250 USD range, most skates should last a few years unless you're particularly heavy (over 225 pounds). Your heel should "lock" into the skate and not roll around, which is another cause of your feet rolling inward. A good hockey shop should be able to fit you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Green13

Well I heated my skates in the oven and tied em up real tight. I found myself skating ALOT better the second game I played and actually scored 2 goals and got a few more points. Well those weren't really related to my skating but I found myself less tired and my ankles weren't killing after the first 30 minutes.

I still found myself tieing my skates individually and occassionally throughout the game maybe, 2-3 times. But overall a great improvement I noticed. They still move around a little in the skate but not as much as they used to.

Late in the game When skating hard it, some strides felt like my skate blade bent almost too much like becoming parallel with the ice and not really pushing off, but instead just slipping really. It's hard for me to explain but basically the blade would slip off the ice and I would trip, and this was a problem often when going fast. Whats up with that?

I think its two possibilities, one being I need my skates sharpened, the other being when I put pressure on an angle like that it with my rolling ankle it may screw up the skates angle with the ice. As in... when I lean on a leg for a stride, the ankle bends it, and less of the blade is on the ice. If that makes sense to anybody..

Old
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had the same problem with the blade bending. It should bend ideally, because that would lose power. I was falling quite a bit, and it ended up being the boot was too flimsy (these were the cheap skates).

It's not a rule of thumb, but if you take the skate off and hold the boot around the ankle with your thumbs and forefingers (like you were holding a sandwich), how much can you squeeze it together? If it's fairly flexible, it may be an indication the boot is too soft, in which case you'd want to look at new skates.

I usually tighten my skates a couple times through the game and they fit great. But I like them fairly loose up top, which causes them to come untied (even with wax laces).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Green13

No they arent soft at all which is why I think I have this problem, because its hard to squeeze the boot to become uniform to my foot. But it is closer than before since I heated the boots.

I know these boots are not at full performance and makes me wonder wonder what I'd skate like with good skates. So I'm contemplating getting a new stick or new skates.

I dont know which needs more improvement considering the fact that both peices of equipment suck at an even level.