HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild might consider trading Marian Gaborik

Old
08-19-2008, 01:55 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 500
A small update from the Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...L7PQLanchO7DiU

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:45 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Ill bet you a good percentage of NHLers have stats in mind over winning. Not for ego purposes or because they own themselves in a fantasy game but for money.

The fact of the matter is that agents use those stats to get contracts and GMs use the stats if it favors them.
This isn't baseball. Of course, stats = $$$. But thankfully, fantasy values do not rule the NHL, even at the bargaining table. Otherwise, the Adam Footes of the world would not receive multi-year, big-buck contracts.

Likewise, if an NHL "cheats" his teammates in any area of the ice for his own benefit, he will hear it the minute he gets back to the bench, from them and/or his coach. Leave your own zone early, disregard your neutral zone responsibilities, avoid high traffic area, or taking a hit to make a play - do any of the above in pursuit of your own shiny numbers and you'll get nowhere in the NHL...or any other hockey league of note for that matter.

And if you are so cynical to think that a bottom-six forward or defensman will try to pad his personal offensive numbers, rather than do his primary job, do what it takes to raise the Cup, go right ahead.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Otherwise, the Adam Footes of the world would not receive multi-year, big-buck contracts.
Green receive more money than Witt and Phillips combined. Seems to me NHL GM's and owners disagree with you Trots.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Luongo2008*

Quote:
Marian Gaborik still doesn't know if he wants to sign an extension with the Minnesota Wild or test free agency next July, his agent said Monday.

But if Gaborik doesn't want the extension, according to Wild assistant general manager Tom Lynn, the team would have to consider trading its star right winger.

"If he were to indicate he wasn't going to sign, then we'd have to make a decision about whether we'd want to play with that distraction," Lynn said. "We would have to weigh the pros and cons, and if that time came and he was not re-signing, then we would have to decide his trade value. But it's not an automatic."

Gaborik's agent, Ron Salcer, said the sides have yet to talk contract, but Lynn said the Wild would contact Salcer "soon." General manager Doug Risebrough and Lynn met with Gaborik in Trencin, Slovakia, last week for what amounted to a pitch presentation.

Gaborik, 26, has a year left on a three-year extension that will pay him $7.5 million this season, and Risebrough said he wants to sign Gaborik to a new extension before the season opener Oct. 11.

The timing is crucial: The Wild don't want to lose Gaborik, their leading scorer last season with 42 goals and 83 points, nor do they want the headache of him playing out the final season of his deal.

Salcer said Gaborik has yet to decide whether he wants to sign an extension.

"He's not even thinking about it. He's focused on coming in and having a great season," Salcer said. "If you start talking about next year, I think you're getting ahead of yourself
Latest

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

man...if Gaborik can put up 42 goals in the west....how well could he be doing in the East??

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
man...if Gaborik can put up 42 goals in the west....how well could he be doing in the East??
Would've shattered Gretzky's record at the very least.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Green receive more money than Witt and Phillips combined. Seems to me NHL GM's and owners disagree with you Trots.
And Chris Draper (9 goals) makes nearly double of Radim Vrbata (27 goals).

Care to provide any more useless comparisons in order to base senseless conclusions?

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
And Chris Draper (9 goals) makes nearly double of Radim Vrbata (27 goals).

Care to provide any more useless comparisons in order to base senseless conclusions?
Cris Draper receive 6,000,000 per year? Riiiight

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

It all depends on what makes him happiest. If playing in a defensive system, with mediocre players, and scoring the most point on his team makes him happy, then he should stay. If playing with other talented players in an offensive friendly environment and not be the team's leading scorer (but will most likely score more points then with Min) then he should leave. As a collegiate athlete I personally prefer playing whit other good players, and not have the team's success put on my shoulders. If i were him I'd take the offer the pens gave Hossa, and play with 2 of the best centers in the league for the rest of my career. Winning the cup would be nice too.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Cris Draper receive 6,000,000 per year? Riiiight
2 people now talking like they know Kris Draper and they both spell his name wrong, and both spell it different!

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
6hole

What possibly moves could the Wild make to even make them go past the 2nd round?

6hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
wouldnt he want to win a stanley cup though?
Kings will be contenders for many years after NYR miss this very small window of opportunity that you think you have right now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Luongo2008*

I would like to see Gaborik with the canucks

Raymond-Demitra-Gaborik

Old
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hole View Post
What possibly moves could the Wild make to even make them go past the 2nd round?
nothing needed. They have a solid forward group, an insane defense (the best in the West after Anaheim), and good goaltending.

The misinformed opinions on them around here are hilarious. This isn't 2003, Minnesota plays much more offensive and creative than they used to. Lemaire works with what he has at his disposal. I think Gaborik re-signing is 50/50, but it won't be because the Wild "suffocated" him. He was given free reign to play offense last year.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

I knew someone would change the headline after seeing the Pioneer Press. That paper changed their headline THREE times yesterday in order to make the story appear more interesting. However, with the exception of some quotes, there was nothing new in it. And the last headline they went to (also the one now used for this thread) is a real insult to hockey fans. "Wild might consider trading Marian Gaborik!"

Really? No kidding!!! That's news??!!! You mean they won't let him walk for free if they don't re-sign him? Wow!!! That's news to me!!! Of course they'll consider trading him if they can't keep the guy. Any hockey fan knows that, yet the media posts it as breaking news. It's embarassing.

Dougie held a conference call today....

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wil...ll-on-gaborik/

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
nothing needed. They have a solid forward group, an insane defense (the best in the West after Anaheim), and good goaltending.

The misinformed opinions on them around here are hilarious. This isn't 2003, Minnesota plays much more offensive and creative than they used to. Lemaire works with what he has at his disposal. I think Gaborik re-signing is 50/50, but it won't be because the Wild "suffocated" him. He was given free reign to play offense last year.
sorry to go OT, but, you think minny's defense is better than detroit, dallas, and vancouver? i still think detroit (because of lidstrom) and dallas are better, and minny is not clearly head-and-shoulder better than vancouver either, IMO.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hole View Post
Another goal scorer or two.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
sorry to go OT, but, you think minny's defense is better than detroit, dallas, and vancouver? i still think detroit (because of lidstrom) and dallas are better, and minny is not clearly head-and-shoulder better than vancouver either, IMO.
It is tough (impossible) to rate a defense based on just who plays there - you must take team style, forwards, goaltending, and coaching into consideration.

That being said, I think Minnesota's defense stacks up. Burns is a stud top five defenseman. Kim Johnsson isn't flashy but is solid. Schultz is a horse and very underrated defensively. Zidlicky was stolen from Nashville, and while being only average defensively, he possesses a ton of offensive talent.

Old
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
It is tough (impossible) to rate a defense based on just who plays there - you must take team style, forwards, goaltending, and coaching into consideration.

That being said, I think Minnesota's defense stacks up. Burns is a stud top five defenseman. Kim Johnsson isn't flashy but is solid. Schultz is a horse and very underrated defensively. Zidlicky was stolen from Nashville, and while being only average defensively, he possesses a ton of offensive talent.
I'm a Wild fan, and while the team's defense is very good, it is not as good as Detroits.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I'm a Wild fan, and while the team's defense is very good, it is not as good as Detroits.
Detroit's defense benefits from the puck possession style they play (and having a top three defenseman ever on the back end). Stuart was awful in LA, and flourished in Detroit.

Tough to do these rankings anyway, and they are just for fun.

Old
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Luongo2008*

Update:

While it's still uncertain whether the Wild will be able to work out an extension with its all-time leading scorer, Marian Gaborik's agent said Monday that last week's four-hour dinner meeting between Gaborik and Wild management might pay dividends.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for how they handled that," agent Ron Salcer said of the meeting among Gaborik, General Manager Doug Risebrough and assistant GM Tom Lynn in Slovakia.

"I can tell you, after talking to Marian, it made him feel really good the way they shared everything with him about the team and the future. I thought it was a smart move on their behalf. It was a very beneficial thing they did."

Salcer said at the very least Gaborik plans to fulfill his contract with the Wild this season. Salcer denied a report in the Russian newspaper, Sports-Express, that quoted Spartak Moscow President Nikolai Tischenko as saying he's had conversations with "Gaborik's agent" about the star playing for Spartak.

"I don't know anything about that. I've had no conversations [with any team in Russia about Gaborik]," Salcer said. "Marian has a year left on his contract with the Wild, and he's working hard and feeling good. He says he's coming to camp in the best shape he's ever been in.

"After that, we'll see where things go from there."

With Gaborik one year from unrestricted free agency, the Wild plans to offer him an extension in the $8.5 million range annually. Gaborik will make $7.5 million this season. Negotiations haven't begun; Salcer returned over the weekend from a month out of the country.

If the Wild isn't able to extend Gaborik's contract prior to the season (it opens Oct. 11 against Boston), it would be permitted to continue negotiations throughout the season. However, because of the distraction that could create and the risk of injury to Gaborik, the Wild might be forced to investigate trade options if there's a stalemate.

Old
08-20-2008, 01:48 AM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo10 View Post
I would like to see Gaborik with the canucks

Raymond-Demitra-Gaborik
All missed time last season.

Might as well get Havlat while you're at it.

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Luongo2008*

Agent: Talks with Gaborik 'a smart move'

Quote:
While it's still uncertain whether the Wild will be able to work out an extension with its all-time leading scorer, Marian Gaborik's agent said Monday that last week's four-hour dinner meeting between Gaborik and Wild management might pay dividends.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for how they handled that," agent Ron Salcer said of the meeting among Gaborik, General Manager Doug Risebrough and assistant GM Tom Lynn in Slovakia.

"I can tell you, after talking to Marian, it made him feel really good the way they shared everything with him about the team and the future. I thought it was a smart move on their behalf. It was a very beneficial thing they did."

Salcer said at the very least Gaborik plans to fulfill his contract with the Wild this season. Salcer denied a report in the Russian newspaper, Sports-Express, that quoted Spartak Moscow President Nikolai Tischenko as saying he's had conversations with "Gaborik's agent" about the star playing for Spartak.

"I don't know anything about that. I've had no conversations [with any team in Russia about Gaborik]," Salcer said. "Marian has a year left on his contract with the Wild, and he's working hard and feeling good. He says he's coming to camp in the best shape he's ever been in.

"After that, we'll see where things go from there."

With Gaborik one year from unrestricted free agency, the Wild plans to offer him an extension in the $8.5 million range annually. Gaborik will make $7.5 million this season. Negotiations haven't begun; Salcer returned over the weekend from a month out of the country.

If the Wild isn't able to extend Gaborik's contract prior to the season (it opens Oct. 11 against Boston), it would be permitted to continue negotiations throughout the season. However, because of the distraction that could create and the risk of injury to Gaborik, the Wild might be forced to investigate trade options if there's a stalemate.

Old
08-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Imagine Gaborik on Crosby's wing. Wow.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner