HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild might consider trading Marian Gaborik

Old
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Kings will be contenders for many years after NYR miss this very small window of opportunity that you think you have right now.
Because the rangers are just full of 36 year old vets, and have no talented youth in the system

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Luongo2008*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Imagine Gaborik on Crosby's wing. Wow.
That would be:

Dupuis-Crosby-Gaborik

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Sorry if this has already been asked...What do you think it will take from the Bruins to get Gaborik?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

If the Wild do decide to trade Gaborik, they better be getting a ton of first rounders/prospects back. With Gaborik gone, along with the rest of the O, they are going to be forced into another rebuild.

If they do not, they will be avoiding the inevitable, but I presume with how much success Minny has had in its short time in the league they will come back quicker than expected.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
goliath5151

I dont really think its a matter of "Stats or Winnng" Hes UFA after this year, isnt he? He can play on a team where he can do both (pens)

Besides, after loosing Demitra and Rolston, whos to say Minny is the best place for someone that wants to win?

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Kings will be contenders for many years after NYR miss this very small window of opportunity that you think you have right now.
Don't even bother. Some NYR fans are just as delusional as they were before the lock out.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
I dont really think its a matter of "Stats or Winnng" Hes UFA after this year, isnt he? He can play on a team where he can do both (pens)

Besides, after loosing Demitra and Rolston, whos to say Minny is the best place for someone that wants to win?
I still don't get why people say Demitra was such a big loss. If anyone actually watched him last year they'd know he's not. Hell Parrish out scored him in terms of goals and he was on 3rd line/doghouse duty most of the year.

And I think PMB, Koivu, Burns, Sheppard etc might have something to say about MN being a place to play if you want to win. There is some good young talent on the Wild right now.

Besides, the Wild are expected to give him 8.5/year over 4 years at least, what contending team can match that if he does go UFA?

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
And I think PMB, Koivu, Burns, Sheppard etc might have something to say about MN being a place to play if you want to win. There is some good young talent on the Wild right now.
If Gabby really gets to play with Koivu, I think Gabby should be quite happy. Mikko is very responsible defensively, allowing Gabby to concentrate a bit more on offensive side of the game without endangering the team. But here lies the problem: is Gabby going to take management's word for it and be confident to have M.Koivu on his line (I would say easily best center Wilds can offer at the moment)? Sure enought that he would sign before the season begins?

Naturally it is not a players choiche who he is going to play with, but a promise to create a top-line is something Gabby can get from many teams, and with his abilities there is little question he would belong to that top line (few teams excluded).

Quote:
Besides, the Wild are expected to give him 8.5/year over 4 years at least, what contending team can match that if he does go UFA?
Financially it all depends on the cap. Wilds want to singn Gabby now, practically the deal is then based on the current cap figures (8,5 might be a bit high in that respect, but Wild is going to pay Gabby like franchice star and they can afford that under the cap). As UFA next summer, Gabby's asking price could be based on the actual cap. If (a HUFE if) cap continues like it has previously, there could be plenty of team that could afford 8,5-9,0 million for Gabby. All salary related comments based on reasonable assumption that CBA is not reopened

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Orym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked...What do you think it will take from the Bruins to get Gaborik?
Simply put: too much. They'd have to clear the cap space then sell the farm (Kessel, Rask, Lucic, Wheeler etc.) Not going to happen.

Orym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 02:03 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
With Gaborik gone, along with the rest of the O, they are going to be forced into another rebuild.
Wow, when did we lose Bouchard, Koivu, and Burns?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Madhatter73

JayBo for Gabo even up?

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
chef223

At the deadline Kaberle, Earl and and a first 2010 for Gaborik and Peter Klaus

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
TCIH

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
At the deadline Kaberle, Earl and and a first 2010 for Gaborik and Peter Klaus
Seems like a waste to trade Kaberle for someone who's just going to bolt at the end of the season.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Luongo2008*

Sami Salo and 1st for Gaborik?

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
I still don't get why people say Demitra was such a big loss. If anyone actually watched him last year they'd know he's not. Hell Parrish out scored him in terms of goals and he was on 3rd line/doghouse duty most of the year.

Parrish also outscored PMBouchard, would it equally 'not hurt' to lose him? You're comparing the goal totals of a playmaker. How about we rip into Harding for his height next? Seriously, you just said Parrish was on the 3rd line and in the doghouse most of the year, but he had more goals than anyone not named Gaborik/Rolston.

Before going to the Wild, Demitra was a ppg player. 62pts in 58gms in LA, 438pts in the previous 6 seasons (425 games). That's why it hurts to lose him. You can argue he didn't flourish in your system, but you still need to replace his 50+ pts a year. Last year he tied Rolston in points and played less games than him. It's the same situation as the Canucks losing Naslund - he wasn't contributing nearly enough, but you still have to replace him when he moves on.

Potentially contending teams with cap space (next year) and willingness to sign Gaborik:

Anybody not NYI or ATL.

A lot of teams might not make an offer, like Boston who has 25 mil tied up in 10 forwards next year, but seriously, there are probably 10 teams who could afford to (and WOULD) offer Gaborik the same money if he hits FA.

Last edited by eklunds source: 08-21-2008 at 12:34 PM.
eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Parrish also outscored PMBouchard, would it equally 'not hurt' to lose him? You're comparing the goal totals of a playmaker. How about we rip into Harding for his height next? Seriously, you just said Parrish was on the 3rd line and in the doghouse most of the year, but he had more goals than anyone not named Gaborik/Rolston.

Before going to the Wild, Demitra was a ppg player. 62pts in 58gms in LA, 438pts in the previous 6 seasons (425 games). That's why it hurts to lose him. You can argue he didn't flourish in your system, but you still need to replace his 50+ pts a year. Last year he tied Rolston in points and played less games than him. It's the same situation as the Canucks losing Naslund - he wasn't contributing nearly enough, but you still have to replace him when he moves on.

Potentially contending teams with cap space (next year) and willingness to sign Gaborik:

Anybody not NYI or ATL.

A lot of teams might not make an offer, like Boston who has 25 mil tied up in 10 forwards next year, but seriously, there are probably 10 teams who could afford to (and WOULD) offer Gaborik the same money if he hits FA.

I get what you are saying, I'm also saying I watched the team play.
To me, Demitra barely seemed interested for a lot of the year like he couldn't wait for free agency so he could get out of Minnesota and away from being used as a center.
I also don't think you can look at Minnesota and say two guys need to replace Rolston and Demitra's production, that's not what they are going for.
They are looking at the rest of the forwards to replace their production. They are expecting Koivu and PMB to pick it up the goals department, they are expecting Bruno to at least get what he did last year in Colorado, same with Nolan. I think they are looking at Miettinen and saying you need to do more here than you did in Dallas.
And I know they are looking at the additions on defense and saying if you guys can't do more than the guys you are replacing we are in huge trouble.
The major problem with MN is shut down Gaborik and Rolston and you basically shut down the Wild and that needs to change.
The Wild need a more balenced attack and I think they are going to get it, and we can only hope that seeing that he is still the star, the #1 guy, but doesn't have to go it alone while making a buttload of cash, is enough to entice Gabby to stay.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:46 AM
sirpipsalot

Quote:
I get what you are saying, I'm also saying I watched the team play.
To me, Demitra barely seemed interested for a lot of the year like he couldn't wait for free agency so he could get out of Minnesota and away from being used as a center.
I also don't think you can look at Minnesota and say two guys need to replace Rolston and Demitra's production, that's not what they are going for.
They are looking at the rest of the forwards to replace their production. They are expecting Koivu and PMB to pick it up the goals department, they are expecting Bruno to at least get what he did last year in Colorado, same with Nolan. I think they are looking at Miettinen and saying you need to do more here than you did in Dallas.
And I know they are looking at the additions on defense and saying if you guys can't do more than the guys you are replacing we are in huge trouble.
The major problem with MN is shut down Gaborik and Rolston and you basically shut down the Wild and that needs to change.
The Wild need a more balenced attack and I think they are going to get it, and we can only hope that seeing that he is still the star, the #1 guy, but doesn't have to go it alone while making a buttload of cash, is enough to entice Gabby to stay.
I completely agree.

Demitra didn't play like a first line player last year. He simply didn't fit with the system. I've never actually seen him make a play and think "man that guy is good!"

Also, here is how you replace him and Rolston:
Bouchard 19 goals 6 more then last year,
Koivu 25 goals 14 more then last year,
Sheppard 15 goals 11 more,
Gaborik 48 goals 5 more,
Pouliot 13 goals 11 more.

Anyway, thats what im thinking just off the top of my head. Add in a few more goals for Burns, and the much improved D. Bouchard scored 20 2 seasons ago, Koivu was just under PPG before his injury, Sheppard will get more then 7 minutes of ice time a game, Gabby could get over 50, and Pouliot will hopefully fill a regular roster spot, and let someone else take over the 5 minutes a game / battle with Foy. They underacheved last year in goals as a team.

sirpipsalot is offline   Reply With Quote