HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which player do you value more?

View Poll Results: Which player do you value more?
Scotty Gomez 36 45.00%
Chris Drury 15 18.75%
Both exactly the same 26 32.50%
I hate em both, get rid of them. 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Which player do you value more?

Pretty straight forward question. After watching them for 1 season, which of these players do you value more, and why?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

is this supposed to be a poll?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
is this supposed to be a poll?
yeah, the post shows up while i put the poll together, be patient young padiwan.

Old
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Anyway, my answer..

Chris Drury.

Seriously, the guy has leadership, the guy goes balls to the wall doing everything and anything it takes to win, plays defense superbly, played on the 3rd line without a peep, gets in front of the net to get the dirty goals, kills penalties, dives in front of shots, fights to protect teammates (remember his first preseason game? he fought to protect Jagr).

Hes everything I want in an NHL player.

Scotty Gomez scores more points, but needs a finisher with him to get those points, Drury gets his goals by getting the garbage. Skill is nice, but a guy who can get the garbage is freaking awesome. And oh yeah, Drury still has a heck of a shot, gets clutch goals, and has leadership coming out the wazoo.

I know Gomez is going to win this poll by a lot, but im curious to see who, if anyone, agrees with me.

Old
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
GarretJoseph*

Hate them. Get Rid Of them. Still haven't forgiven C.D for that OT goal or Gomez for being dirt. Don't care for either.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Voted the same.

I think they both bring a lot of things to the table, but I don't see their value overlapping.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
eco's bones

Drury may or may not be a better leader based on last year. He is more likely to get the clutch goal. Seems more rounded defensively and better on faceoffs. Those are his pluses over Gomez.

Gomez is not a great finisher. He is an excellent set up guy--a better skater than Drury and he brings the puck up the ice and can dissect a defense with great efficiency. He is also 3+ years younger and more likely than Drury to be worth his contract when their terms are up. He needs to have a finisher on his line but on the other hand Drury for being a center is not that great of a playmaker and more likely to shoot than pass.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

1 Year isn't enough to make my decision.

Drury took longer to adjust to a new team and wasn't really able to be a leader because we had the whole Czech click.

I think this year will show a lot more of what Drury is made of now that it’s more his team.

Gomez was more valuable last season though because it only took him about 10 games to adjust and was a big part of our offense.

I voted equal.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I think Drury will go balls to the walls next year, when he is the captain of this team. He will be alot more compfortable with the team. But Scotty Gomez is no slouch. hmmm, i voted Drury though.

Old
08-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Hate them. Get Rid Of them. Still haven't forgiven C.D for that OT goal or Gomez for being dirt. Don't care for either.
you hate the guy for trying to win a stanley cup, and another for being drafted into a rival team

if we get Ovechkin(we never will) will you hate him because he scored 60+ goals one year?

Old
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
TheHotRock

gotta go with gomez. i'm not one to put too much stock into intangibles. i like drury, i like the grit he brings, i like the leadership, solid two way play, faceoff percentage, etc....but gomez is on another level. he may not be a 7mm player, but he's definitely woth 6 a year on anyone's team. legit first line center, can go end to end very easilly, can run a pp and makes those around him better. he had crap for linemates last year and still put up 70 points.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
you hate the guy for trying to win a stanley cup, and another for being drafted into a rival team

if we get Ovechkin(we never will) will you hate him because he scored 60+ goals one year?
we will get Ovechkin like when we got jagr at age 35

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I see them as equal.

After going through the pluses and minus of each player, they level out though each brings different attributes to the team.

Gomez: Speed, vision, playmaking ability, faceoffs, antagonizing (he does it through his play), PP and PK ability, some leadership, coachability and competitiveness...

Drury: Quiet Leadership, Good shot and hands, always goes to the net and pays the price, gritty, quick, always in the right spot at the right time, scores the big goal, outstanding PK, PP, good defensively, great on faceoffs...

Its important to note that while Drury might bring more to the table as a whole, Gomez can singlehandedly change the pace of the game with his speed. Teams suddenly have to change their approach if Gomez is on and that stretches them - which is why they hold equal value to me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
gotta go with gomez. i'm not one to put too much stock into intangibles. i like drury, i like the grit he brings, i like the leadership, solid two way play, faceoff percentage, etc....but gomez is on another level. he may not be a 7mm player, but he's definitely woth 6 a year on anyone's team. legit first line center, can go end to end very easilly, can run a pp and makes those around him better. he had crap for linemates last year and still put up 70 points.
Shanny and Avery are crap?

Old
08-18-2008, 02:42 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

For the 1yr I have seen, I voted both. They both play key parts.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
we will get Ovechkin like when we got jagr at age 35
And if he puts up 120 points like Jagr did at 35, who gives a rats ass?

08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
rickyrod

Based on last season, Dru. But, I don't think Gomer had the linemates to compliment him last season, which he should have this season, so I think we'll get more out of him.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Shanny and Avery are crap?
shanny is crap at this stage and avery is a 3rd liner who gets press for being a punk.

Old
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
shanny is crap at this stage and avery is a 3rd liner who gets press for being a punk.
so a player with 23 goals and 23 assists is crap, and a player that you were probably in love with is now a punk. hmmm.

Old
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
so a player with 23 goals and 23 assists is crap, and a player that you were probably in love with is now a punk. hmmm.
never really had a hard on for avery. you can search for my posts in the past if you want.

and yea, shanny scored most of his goals on the pp while standing still. the shot is still there, but he couldn't keep up with gomez. you know this, everyone who watched our club knows this, why do you feel compelled to argue for argument's sake?

Old
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
never really had a hard on for avery. you can search for my posts in the past if you want.

and yea, shanny scored most of his goals on the pp while standing still. the shot is still there, but he couldn't keep up with gomez. you know this, everyone who watched our club knows this, why do you feel compelled to argue for argument's sake?
because, i dont feel Shanny < Hollweg like someother people. and did i every say "you had a hard on for Avery" no i said loved him as in liked the way he played, and dont give me that ******** that you didnt.

Old
08-18-2008, 08:04 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
because, i dont feel Shanny < Hollweg like someother people. and did i every say "you had a hard on for Avery" no i said loved him as in liked the way he played, and dont give me that ******** that you didnt.
ok, i don't know where you get the shanny and hollweg comparison from so i'm gonna let that die.

and for the record, i always said that avery was one to take stupid penalties and i didn't really like having him on our team.

Old
08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:

Ovechkin will be on the rangers..... In 18 years. Just like gretzky. Some of best players would have have a chance to play for. An original 6 team and play in the most famous arena. Some have had that opportunity or choose to come here and finish out there career here

Well talk later on this IF we see sudin here. And takes a discount

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
ok, i don't know where you get the shanny and hollweg comparison from so i'm gonna let that die.

and for the record, i always said that avery was one to take stupid penalties and i didn't really like having him on our team.
okay, benefit of the doubt. but IMO shanny is not crap, he wasnt good, but he was far from crap. and if not for injury prone avery could've gotten close to 20 goals this year.

Old
08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Synergy27

Quote:

I think it's because he's trying to set some sort of posting record.

I voted Gomez, by the way. I love having Drury on the team, but he is and always will be a complimentary player (even though he's probably the best complimentary player around). Gomez is a gamebreaker and he still has the potential to improve.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote