HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Trades' Roster Impact

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
IceBagadonuts

vCash: 500
Trades' Roster Impact???

In the wake of the Boughner and Sauer acquisitions -- and with several players probably coming off the I.R. in the next 2 weeks -- the Avs face some decisions.

THE QUESTION: Barring any new injuries, what will the roster look like... and who goes down to the AHL... or maybe gets traded?

Here's my take on this. What's yours?

THE LINE-UP:

F-1: Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
F-2: Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
F-3: Kono - Niko - Hinote
F-4: Worrell - Hahl - Moore

D-1: Morris - Blake
D-2: Skrastins - Foote
D-3: Liles - Boughner

Scratches: Cummins, Brigley, Sauer (and probably Worrell in playoffs)

No Fit: McAllister (can't go to AHL)

Trade Bait (maybe 1 or 2): McAllister, Moore, Brigley, Larsen, Sauve, Svatos (Others?)

AHL/Hershey Shuttle: Larsen, Clark, Svatos (when healthy)

ANOTHER TRADE COMING? Since it appears McAllister will be the odd man out (remember, they got him from Philly for a 5th or 6th pick), WHO/WHAT might he be packaged with to fill another "need" (e.g., back-up Goalie? Depth Forward? AHL player for hurtin' Hershey?)???

I know many are saying "no more trades" (gotcha/heardja, Av-merican), but we just saw a ripples-across-the-pond last 2 days, troops.

What are those "ripples"?

Last edited by IceBagadonuts: 02-21-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 12:46 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBagadonuts
THE QUESTION: Barring any new injuries, what will the roster look like... and who goes down to the AHL... or maybe gets traded?

THE LINE-UP:
Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
Konowalchuk - Nikolishin - Moore
Worrell - Hahl - Hinote
McCormick

Skrastins - Foote
Morris - Blake
Liles - Boughner
Sauer

Aebischer
Sauve

Quote:
Trade Bait (maybe 1 or 2): McAllister, Moore, Brigley, Larsen, Sauve, Svatos (Others?)
I certainly hope the Avalanche do not look to move either of Steve Moore or Marek Svatos. Moore has fit in well for our club and is a very intelligent hockey player. Never makes mistakes and can cycle well offensively. Hard hitter too. Svatos just has too much untapped offensive potential to give up on so early. With the Avs possibly lose Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne and Konowalchuk next off-season, it'd be ideal to keep an inexpensive youngster with offensive skills.

I am all for the Avalanche looking into a veteran back-up... anything like a Felix Potvin, whom has MORE than enough playoff experience, would suffice.

Old
02-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Aerolanche

Offense
Line 1: Alex Tanguay - Peter Forsberg - Milan Hejduk
Line 2: Paul Kariya - Joe Sakic - Teemu Selanne
Line 3: Steve Konowalchuk - Andrei Nikolishin - Steve Moore
Line 4: Peter Worrell - Riku Hahl - Dan Hinote

Defense
Line 1: Rob Blake - Karlis Skrastins
Line 2: John-Michael Liles - Adam Foote
Line 3: Derek Morris - Bob Boughner

Goaltending
Starting: David Aebischer
Backup: Philippe Sauve

Extras
Svatos, McAllister, Sauer, Brigley, Cummins, Larsen

-------------------------

Here are some fantasy trades to add to this for a good playoff solution:

To Colorado: Sergei Gonchar
To Washington: Johnny Boychuk, Colorado's 2nd round pick

Colorado adds one more superstar defenseman while Washington gets a similar deal to the Bondra one; a prospect in the same position and a good pick. Also, this keeps Gonchar out of the Eastern Conference.

To Colorado: Byron Dafoe
To Atlanta: Colorado's 5th round pick

Colorado gets a relatively experienced goaltender who can be either a starter or a backup, and for a cheap price. If Johan Hedberg only costs a 2nd, Byron Dafoe should cost a lot less.

Offense

Defense
Line 1: Rob Blake - Sergei Gonchar
Line 3: Derek Morris - Karlis Skrastins

Goaltending
Backup: Byron Dafoe

Extras
Svatos, McAllister, Sauer, Brigley, Cummins, Larsen, Boughner, Sauve

Old
02-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Forsberg21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Offense

Defense

Goaltending

Extras

Colorado adds one more superstar defenseman while Washington gets a similar deal to the Bondra one; a prospect in the same position and a good pick. Also, this keeps Gonchar out of the Eastern Conference.

Colorado gets a relatively experienced goaltender who can be either a starter or a backup, and for a cheap price. If Johan Hedberg only costs a 2nd, Byron Dafoe should cost a lot less.

Offense

Defense

Goaltending

Extras
If that can be done, I like it. Although it's pretty much overkill to add Gonchar and have both Boughner and Sauer as healthy scratches.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Mizral is convinced that the Avs are going to trade for Gonchar and Kolzig here in the next few days. Honestly.....I wouldn't be surprised, but if its true......the Avs have to hope that the CBA goes with a luxury tax (which DOES NOT WORK) rather than a hard cap.

Liles, Sauer, Suave could all be on the block for this deal (although I am very disinclined to believe that the Avs are still shopping for defense/no. 1 goalie). It seems like a bad trade IMO.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Mizral is convinced that the Avs are going to trade for Gonchar and Kolzig here in the next few days. Honestly.....I wouldn't be surprised, but if its true......the Avs have to hope that the CBA goes with a luxury tax (which DOES NOT WORK) rather than a hard cap.

Liles, Sauer, Suave could all be on the block for this deal (although I am very disinclined to believe that the Avs are still shopping for defense/no. 1 goalie). It seems like a bad trade IMO.
Not to threadjack, but why do you think a luxury tax won't work? The Yankees are a bad example, nobody in hockey has the kind of television contract and will to win like George Steinbrenner.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
Not to threadjack, but why do you think a luxury tax won't work? The Yankees are a bad example, nobody in hockey has the kind of television contract and will to win like George Steinbrenner.
It hasn't worked for Baseball, and that is the only example we have. There are always going to be teams that have more money than others and will abuse the system. The Rangers will still spend, so will the Red Wings, and to a lesser degree the Avalanche. Personally, I don't want to see a cup purchased through the highest salary.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:06 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
In the wake of the Boughner and Sauer acquisitions -- and with several players probably coming off the I.R. in the next 2 weeks -- the Avs face some decisions.

THE LINE-UP:

F-1: Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
F-2: Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
F-3: Kono - Niko - Hinote
F-4: Worrell - Hahl - Moore

D-1: Morris - Blake
D-2: Skrastins - Foote
D-3: Liles - Boughner

Scratches: Cummins, Brigley, Sauer (and probably Worrell in playoffs)

No Fit: McAllister (can't go to AHL)
I agree with the whole lineup, except I'd put Moore on the 3rd line instead of Hinote, and have a 3rd line of Larsen-Hahl-Hinote. Worrell has nothing but sucked hind *** in each and every shift he's taken as an Avs player, so we certainly don't want him on the ice in the playoffs. Never. Ever. Not once. He is a penalty machine, and he sucks. Larsen, in his limited time, has outplayed Hinote, Moore, Brigley and McCormick, in my humble opinion.

As for the defense, the team is going to have to choose between Liles and Sauer for the 6th defenseman. If Liles doesn't hold up under the tough, physical playoff play, Sauer will play. But having 7 blueline guys through the playoff grind is a good thing.

The other possibility is playing 3 centers, 4 sets of wings, and 7 defensemen. I suspect Larsen would then be the odd guy out.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:11 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Offense

Defense

Goaltending

Extras
Close, but I wouldn't break up the Foote-Skrastins pairing. They've played too well together. Put Morris up with Blake, and let Boughner play with Liles or Sauer. And pleasepleaseplease get Worrell off the roster. :-)

Quote:

Offense

Defense

Goaltending

Extras
First of all, the Avs really don't need Gonchar. He's not very good defensively, and the Avs already have defensemen who can do the offense thing: Blake, Liles, Morris. Plus, getting Gonchar will be expensive. The Avs won't be able to get him with just Boychuk. No chance.

Secondly, I like the Dafoe thing. It might take more than a 5th round pick, but that would be a good backup goaltending pickup.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
It hasn't worked for Baseball, and that is the only example we have. There are always going to be teams that have more money than others and will abuse the system. The Rangers will still spend, so will the Red Wings, and to a lesser degree the Avalanche. Personally, I don't want to see a cup purchased through the highest salary.
Eh, I'd rather see a luxury tax than a hard salary cap. I hate the NFL now, it punishes teams that draft well and develop young players into stars. The MLB system isn't perfect either, but they have so much more money to play around with than hockey teams. I'm pretty sure the Rangers won't go so overboard if they also have to pay the small market teams. The change I'd like to see is that the small market teams would have to re-invest the money they get from the luxury tax into the roster or scouting, not just the owners pocketing the money like MLB owners do.

Closed Thread