HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo fans....how legit?

Old
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

vCash: 500
Buffalo fans....how legit?

So there's a few criteria on which you can judge a fan base: knowledgeability, passionate, fair-weather/foul-weather, supportive, and a good "7th man."

I'll give Buffalo fans high marks (at least compared to US fanbases) for knowledgeability and passion. However, supportiveness and being a good 7th man really doesn't seem our forte. john Vogl pointed it out the other day, and frankly, I'm really attuned to it myself. It bothers me (being a fan from NYC) to hear people talk about our home rink as a mausoleum, or the eagerness and loudness of the boo-birds. Seems like a serious challenge to becoming "hockey heaven."

What do you guys think? Where do we rank as a fan base, or how do you rank us among a variety of criteria? If you have a particularly positive or negative opinion, do you think it matters in building our cred around the NHL (the become hockey heaven project, if you will).

thanks for your thoughts.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

2legit2quit

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:38 PM
5 Minute Major

Man, I hope I don't get into trouble for this but I need to speak my mind.

I grew up in the 70's. In the Aud's hay-day. Fans, back then, went to see the game and the game only. Fans were into the game.

Today? I see people texting, talking about crap that isn't even related to the game, yada, yada. Buffalo hockey fans today (yes, I am in that group) don't hold a candle to the fans of the 70's and 80's.

There's way too much going on in the stands that seem to distract people from the on-ice entertainment. It seems like a social event more than a sporting event.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post

I grew up in the 70's. In the Aud's hay-day. Fans, back then, went to see the game and the game only. Fans were into the game.

Today? I see people texting, talking about crap that isn't even related to the game, yada, yada. Buffalo hockey fans today (yes, I am in that group) don't hold a candle to the fans of the 70's and 80's.

There's way too much going on in the stands that seem to distract people from the on-ice entertainment. It seems like a social event more than a sporting event.
And you think this is limited to the FN Center, and only plagues our fanbase? Hardly. It's just the change of times, my man. Every single person texts all the time in every arena for every sport.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Gnuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
So there's a few criteria on which you can judge a fan base: knowledgeability, passionate, fair-weather/foul-weather, supportive, and a good "7th man."

I'll give Buffalo fans high marks (at least compared to US fanbases) for knowledgeability and passion. However, supportiveness and being a good 7th man really doesn't seem our forte. john Vogl pointed it out the other day, and frankly, I'm really attuned to it myself. It bothers me (being a fan from NYC) to hear people talk about our home rink as a mausoleum, or the eagerness and loudness of the boo-birds. Seems like a serious challenge to becoming "hockey heaven."

What do you guys think? Where do we rank as a fan base, or how do you rank us among a variety of criteria? If you have a particularly positive or negative opinion, do you think it matters in building our cred around the NHL (the become hockey heaven project, if you will).

thanks for your thoughts.
Is there a reason to think the average Sabres fan is more knowledge then the posters here? :

Having attended games in most of the EC cities I'd rank Buffalo highly. Across the country i'm noticing a trend where hockey is visibly supported by much younger fans than the other sports. But this is completely unscientific and only from my own observations.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

League wise we have to be some of the best fans, top 1/3 at the least, but I think there are a lot of fair weather people around here. The city as a whole is like that with both teams, Bills suck for so many year, there is no buzz about then outside opening day. They win some games, we have Bills fever, this city lives and dies for the Bills, and everyone owns 10 pieces of Bills clothing they wear every sunday/monday. Same goes for Sabres. Team went through some tough times, and no one cares anymore. We make a run, almost get the the Finals and hockey is in our blood. This is the only city i've lived in so for all I know every city could be like this. As a diehard who hasn't missed a Bills/Sabres game for the past 10 years, it bugs me.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And you think this is limited to the FN Center, and only plagues our fanbase? Hardly. It's just the change of times, my man. Every single person texts all the time in every arena for every sport.
No, I don't believe it is only limited to Buffalo. Unfortunately, I can only make it to a few games a year because I live about 4 hours away. Tomorrow night will be one of those games.

I am just saying why I feel the home crowd is quiet. I have better things to do than text people and talk about last weekends Halloween party when I am at a Sabres game. A lot of people don't share my view from what I see.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:02 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
No, I don't believe it is only limited to Buffalo. Unfortunately, I can only make it to a few games a year because I live about 4 hours away. Tomorrow night will be one of those games.

I am just saying why I feel the home crowd is quiet. I have better things to do than text people and talk about last weekends Halloween party when I am at a Sabres game. A lot of people don't share my view from what I see.
I'm with you. Just know the same things happen at MSG for my Knicks games, yankee stadium for baseball, the rock during devs games I go to, and everywhere else. It's the times, and I agree - its unfortunate. But who am I to tell people how to behave at an event they paid to be at? I wish it were minimalized, but it ain't.

Old
11-03-2011, 06:03 PM
slip

Quote:
2legit2quit
My first thought too!

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:06 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
My first thought too!
Shame on me for hypocritically reading thread title only

Old
11-03-2011, 06:07 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:

Attention spans are a lot shorter. and in Buffalo especially where there isn't half as much to do as say NYC, Sabre games are a social event. I talk my girlfriend, we meet up with friends and have a good time.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
2legit2quit
Well, I never suggested we quit.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:22 PM
aceface33

Quote:
2legit2quit
Came to post this.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:24 PM
aceface33

The problem with being knowledgeable is that you're less likely to blindly support your team. It's like the other night after we go down 3-0 you want fans to stand up and yell I SUPPORT THIS TEAM UNCONDITIONALLY (credit to C-lock). When the team sucks and you know it, it's hard to get into the game.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I think it's really hard to judge because of the shorter attention spans and impatience when it comes to results.

I don't have a good pulse on fans of other teams to say if it's any better or worse here than elsewhere.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
2legit2quit
I clicked to post this!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I hope byron brown is planning on doing his own version for reelection.

Until then, the fans in buffalo have no reason to be legit.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:27 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:

Your query is very much appreciated and very overdue to be said. Sabres crowds look more like an A.D.D. version of Romper Room.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:45 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Aside from our barn being a little quieter, which I blame more on the family friendly gameday presentation, I haven't noticed much of a difference being in other arenas.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Unfortunately, we live in an impatient world. People want their movies on demand, their information immediately, their food ASAP and their free-agent forward scoring the minute he steps out of the dressing room.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle617788.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Clock

Has the in-arena presentation changed much from last year?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Has the in-arena presentation changed much from last year?
Seems a little better. Still more family friendly. (Although they've been recycling Kiss Cam footage of a cute old couple......)

Places like TD Garden still blow us away though. Every second of non-game action they have music going, and it's not just party music. They're playing hard, loud stuff, and it really fits the fans there. That place is loud and raucous from end to end.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm not willing to toot our own horn. There are plenty of people who don't seem to know much about the game other than wanting to see goals, hits, fights, and even blood, let alone the nuances of it or the happenings on the farm team or the prospects or heaven forbid any of the rest of all of that for other teams in the NHL or just the game of hockey in general. I've found over the years that I'm much more apt to have a great conversation about the WJC's or junior hockey with someone wearing an out-of-town jersey than with many Sabre fans (visiting Canuck and Oiler fans seem to be tops there). Clearly, they are people who are dedicated enough to travel some distance and at some expense to see their team and their level of fanaticism matches more with my own.

A couple thousand people chanting "Shoooooot" in frustration or having to have the same small, vocal groups of people get any sort of chanting going, or that for the better part of 15 years it seems to be a lot of "ok, I'm here, now entertain me and I'll make a little noise" that has been present in the rink.... yeah, I can't say Sabre fans are somehow better or worse than fans in Pittsburgh or Toronto or DC or Raleigh (or Greensboro before that).

11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

this thread again?
Seems like we do this twice a season.

My thoughts- Growing up going to Rangers and Whalers games- those crowds were constantly cheering or ribbing their teams, or the other team- sabres fans seem a bit more reserved, a ton more polite. A bit more willing to boo their own team than spirit them on to victory (I really, really hate that). I think the MSG broadcast doesnt help. To me, the do not at all capture the noise level going on in the arena. The home opener was pretty loud and into it- was that evident from viewing the game?. Post back to back ECF runs- and the depletion of talent from those teams- fans dont believe in this group. Many of them are still here and havent done anything in the playoffs- so theres a lack of will to root, root, root for the home team- especially when the effort seems intermittent and often too little too late.. Theres lots of factors. On the whole- Buffalo is a great hockey town- Maybe people will lay it all on the line when they feel like the team is a contender- maybe not...
And totally agree about the age we live- the disposable society of wanting it all now and all the things that naw for our attention. Have you tried to walk the concourse between periods- but cant get by the zombie phone walkers?? uggh..

In game presentation hasnt changed much. Personally, I dont prefer what is cited to be the Boston style- Leave that for Bandits games. I'd rather have the focus be on the ice- on the game and not so much the presentation- but I realize I'm a dying bread- whatever...

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote