HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At the trade deadline..Would you be willing..

Old
10-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
At the trade deadline..Would you be willing..

.... At the trade deadline.... Would you be willing to "mortgage" the future a little bit...by either trading away our 1st Round Pick or Both 2nd Round Picks in order to obtain a need on this team. Or is the draft considered too deep to panic and just keep pace with the "Pegula 3 year Plan"?

Or if this team completely tanks...and we find ourselves outside the top 8 at the deadline....do we blow the team up?

I honestly have no idea where this team is going...in my eyes it could go either way.. I think the worst situation would be for us to be "mediocre" and be just barely in the playoffs or barely outside.

I think this team needs a drastic shake up...or Darcy needs to make a bold move..take a risk. Hopefully a smarter one than the Leino signing.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
They're not going to be outside the top-8, so let's get that out of the way early on. They're going to have a very good goal-differential, which has a high correlation with a good record. So, taking the "blow it up" option off the table, the other question is an interesting one, but I need to hear tangible names.

Would I give up Calgary's 2nd (and possibly a middling prospect) for Frans Nielsen? Probably.

Would I give up Ennis, Boyes (salary reasons), Pysyk, 2012 1st, and 2012 2nd for Iginla and filler? I'd think about it. (I know we'd have to make other moves to free up salary.)

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:28 PM
slip

We need to take the pulse of the team as the deadline approaches. If we're a gritty and gifted vet away from serious playoff damage, then pull the trigger on whatever trade is necessary. I don't care about first rounders or guys like Ennis and Enroth in the context of seeking the ultimate prize.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Clock

I'd be leery on doing so unless it would be a great deal or address an obvious need. Let's see how the re-tooled team performs in the playoffs.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
LGB24

saying the team needs a big shakeup is a bit of an over reaction.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
saying the team needs a big shakeup is a bit of an over reaction.

Something is missing. I'm not saying blow up the team... But it seems our core feels too comfortable ...

And I would like to get out from under the Leino contract .. But I think I'm dreaming... I'm trying to convince myself another team would take him..

Even if he does turn it around a bit... I still don't see him being an important cog for this team.

Old
10-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
They're not going to be outside the top-8, so let's get that out of the way early on. They're going to have a very good goal-differential, which has a high correlation with a good record. So, taking the "blow it up" option off the table, the other question is an interesting one, but I need to hear tangible names.

Would I give up Calgary's 2nd (and possibly a middling prospect) for Frans Nielsen? Probably.

Would I give up Ennis, Boyes (salary reasons), Pysyk, 2012 1st, and 2012 2nd for Iginla and filler? I'd think about it. (I know we'd have to make other moves to free up salary.)

Thats more along the lines i was thinking.

ie. Doan, Iginla,Morrow

Old
10-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Zip15

Nielsen should be a target no matter what if the Isles can't get him signed. He's excellent at the dot, very good defensively, and can score a point every other game. Oh, and he's extremely cheap. He'd provide Goose with some help by giving the team another guy who can win an important draw, and would reduce Roy's defensive zone starts (because Lindy only trusts Goose and Roy when starting in the defensive zone).

Old
10-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Pengo

I think Regier will make a big trade this winter. If the the Sabres lose in the 1st round again he could be gone, especially if Leino doesn't turn it around.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Depends who's available.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Nielsen should be a target no matter what if the Isles can't get him signed. He's excellent at the dot, very good defensively, and can score a point every other game. Oh, and he's extremely cheap. He'd provide Goose with some help by giving the team another guy who can win an important draw, and would reduce Roy's defensive zone starts (because Lindy only trusts Goose and Roy when starting in the defensive zone).
I can get behind the Nielsen bandwagon. If he's available for a pick or a prospect, I would be willing to give up a nice return.

Otherwise, as stated before, it depends on the pulse of the team come February/March. At this point I would say if we're teetering on the 6-7 seed and looking like first round fodder again, I'd be willing to offer Roy or Ennis for a veteran forward with loads of experience (Iginla, Selanne, any other guy on a non-contending team).

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
dkollidas

I think we do have to wait a little more. Maybe not until the deadline, but at least till mid-december, and see how the team's doing. Right now I feel like the only real "untouchables" are Vanek, Pominville, Miller and Myers. Other than that, I see everyone as being open for sale, for the right price. For me Adam is almost up there just because he's a big, young centerman with a lot of upside who I don't think would be dealt unless the return was a big, young, better centerman.

I think what's important to understand is that Regier does not make trades if he doesn't feel the Sabres are winning the deal. He's almost never made a really bad trade. But the good ones have been great.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is the Miller/Enroth situation. I highly, highly doubt that they'd even consider trading Miller this season, but if Miller and Enroth both keep playing how they are currently, and Miller gets hurt (he's missed 10-15 starts each of the past few seasons I believe), Enroth could show everyone just how valuable he is if he has a good showing. I believe this could become similar to the Thomas/Rask situation, I just believe Jhonas is mentally more ready than Rask and Miller is younger and has more value than Thomas. But I digress, as I see this being more of a trade type situation as we approach the deadline NEXT season.

But regarding players this year, I think if the team could move a couple of guys like Roy and Ennis (just an example) and find a true first-line center (Mikko Koivu, Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Jason Spezza, Jamie Benn) that's what they'd be looking for, or a big powerful winger like Iginla, Doan, or Morrow, but I think the only one that may be dealt at a reasonable price is Morrow, Doan and Iginla will both be far too expensive in a trade, and I don't see it happening.

Personally, I wonder if a deal of Roy, Ennis, Pysyk and a 2012 1st could get us Kesler. I know they're all about winning now, but those are some pretty nice pieces.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

for the right guy yes.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I think we do have to wait a little more. Maybe not until the deadline, but at least till mid-december, and see how the team's doing. Right now I feel like the only real "untouchables" are Vanek, Pominville, Miller and Myers. Other than that, I see everyone as being open for sale, for the right price. For me Adam is almost up there just because he's a big, young centerman with a lot of upside who I don't think would be dealt unless the return was a big, young, better centerman.

I think what's important to understand is that Regier does not make trades if he doesn't feel the Sabres are winning the deal. He's almost never made a really bad trade. But the good ones have been great.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is the Miller/Enroth situation. I highly, highly doubt that they'd even consider trading Miller this season, but if Miller and Enroth both keep playing how they are currently, and Miller gets hurt (he's missed 10-15 starts each of the past few seasons I believe), Enroth could show everyone just how valuable he is if he has a good showing. I believe this could become similar to the Thomas/Rask situation, I just believe Jhonas is mentally more ready than Rask and Miller is younger and has more value than Thomas. But I digress, as I see this being more of a trade type situation as we approach the deadline NEXT season.

But regarding players this year, I think if the team could move a couple of guys like Roy and Ennis (just an example) and find a true first-line center (Mikko Koivu, Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Jason Spezza, Jamie Benn) that's what they'd be looking for, or a big powerful winger like Iginla, Doan, or Morrow, but I think the only one that may be dealt at a reasonable price is Morrow, Doan and Iginla will both be far too expensive in a trade, and I don't see it happening.

Personally, I wonder if a deal of Roy, Ennis, Pysyk and a 2012 1st could get us Kesler. I know they're all about winning now, but those are some pretty nice pieces.
I think some HF memes apply to the bolded:

Rask >>> Enroth

AINEC.

Old
10-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
T

I'd give a 1st for Nielsen, and wouldn't look back.

The guy is going to be a perennial Selke finalist for the next 10+ years.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Pengo

Well this isn't really related but

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18898741.html

Quote:
The Jackets are fielding calls for D Kris Russell and C Derick Brassard

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
I think some HF memes apply to the bolded:

Rask >>> Enroth

AINEC.
I'm not saying Enroth is a better goalie. I just think the way we see him, unemotional, straightforward, etc. Lends itself to him being more ready to go through a bad stretch and not best himself up. Last year, when Rask was getting most of the starts early on in the first half of the season for the Bruins, he was very weak. He couldn't get his game on track. Thomas took his spot back. I think IF that happened with Enroth and he had a bad stretch, he'd be able to pick it back up and find his game without besting himself up too much.

But I digress. I think really they should wait till Hecht comes back. If after 15 or so games with him back in (because I think he does have a lot of tangible and intangible traits that this team feed off of) they're playing poorly, the. Make a deal.

Old
10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
What do you think it'd take to get him?

Old
10-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I'm not saying Enroth is a better goalie. I just think the way we see him, unemotional, straightforward, etc. Lends itself to him being more ready to go through a bad stretch and not best himself up. Last year, when Rask was getting most of the starts early on in the first half of the season for the Bruins, he was very weak. He couldn't get his game on track. Thomas took his spot back. I think IF that happened with Enroth and he had a bad stretch, he'd be able to pick it back up and find his game without besting himself up too much.

But I digress. I think really they should wait till Hecht comes back. If after 15 or so games with him back in (because I think he does have a lot of tangible and intangible traits that this team feed off of) they're playing poorly, the. Make a deal.
Rask has a career .925 SV% and 8 SO's in 73 career starts. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the issue for me. Back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Old
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Rask has a career .925 SV% and 8 SO's in 73 career starts. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the issue for me. Back to our regularly scheduled topic...
Boston plays a goalie friendly system. Alex Auld had a .920 sv% with them a few years ago. I'd still take Rask over Enroth though, for now at least.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Boston plays a goalie friendly system. Alex Auld had a .920 sv% with them a few years ago. I'd still take Rask over Enroth though, for now at least.
I'm aware. Rask is still better, though, as you mentioned. He's going to be a stud when he finally gets the reins after Thomas is gone.

Old
10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
.... At the trade deadline.... Would you be willing to "mortgage" the future a little bit...by either trading away our 1st Round Pick or Both 2nd Round Picks in order to obtain a need on this team. Or is the draft considered too deep to panic and just keep pace with the "Pegula 3 year Plan"?

Or if this team completely tanks...and we find ourselves outside the top 8 at the deadline....do we blow the team up?

I honestly have no idea where this team is going...in my eyes it could go either way.. I think the worst situation would be for us to be "mediocre" and be just barely in the playoffs or barely outside.

I think this team needs a drastic shake up...or Darcy needs to make a bold move..take a risk. Hopefully a smarter one than the Leino signing.

As always, it depends on the deal. Keep in mind that the Sabres are up against the cap ceiling, so they would need to make cap space somehow.

The exciting thing about the Sabres is their blue line depth. They are absolutely stacked with puck movers, and those guys are at a premium right now. You would be amazed what a Gragnani would bring in return.

The team needs another physical defense man COUGH Weber COUGH anf they could use a power forward in the top 6. A hard hitting SOB who backs up his blue line abuse with his fists when needed, and is no slouch in the goal scoring department. Preferably Gausted with wheels or a pissed off Adam.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:13 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Interesting!

Isn't the 2012 Draft supposed to be Deep ?? If so they shoudl try to keep there first unless there getting a premier player (Doan, Iginla, Brassard) ....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I wouldn't give up 1sts or 2nds this year.

It's not like Regier's track record of 2nd for _____ at the deadline has been stellar.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
HiddenInLight

It all depends on the return. Id like a legitimate power foreward for our top six. Picture the line of 'big angry goal scoring beast of a winger' - Roy - Stafford. That being our second line after V-A-P. Third line is G - G - K. Then our fourth line rounds out as Ennis/Leino/McMuscle -Hect/Ellis/Leino - Boyes. The fourth line being whoever is left after the trade. Id be very comfortable sending a high pick for the power foreward buffalo is missing. I think we may be able to tempt a team with a combonation of one of our puck moving D-Men (preferably MAG but I wouldn't mind sekera or leopold TOO much) and a young talented forward in Ennis. Toss ina draft pick if needed. But I'm also comfortable in waiting a bit for this deal. Let a team who has this power forward and needs a talented winger/puckmoving dman start to realize what they need and make a trade that benefits both teams. I can see it happening this year as we have plenty of interchangable parts in our forwards and a few prospects we could toss in. Buffalo is in a very strong trading position. Especially since our glaring hole at center doesn't look so bad with adam blowing ?y expectations for him out of the water. As for laino we don't really need him at center anymore between hect and matt ellis playing a pretty solid game.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote