HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JFJ-so far...

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
JFJ-so far...

I have to say I've been pretty impressed by the guy, so I figured I'd give my own two-cents on how he's done.

Drafting: B+ Although we haven't been able to see how well he's done with the Leafs, JF has been highly successful on other teams in drafting and is held in high regard for his judgement of prospects.

Free Agency: A Fergie would have had an A+ had he responded to Thomas and gotten him signed. Both Nieuwendyk and Klee have been great and JFJ increased payroll by relatively nothing to get them (since Svehla's departure).

Trades: C+ Ferguson has done little in the way of trades this season having only Jackman's requested departure to show for himself. Luckily though he hasn't done anything stupid. His mark would increase greatly if he could pull the trigger on the Gonchar deal. Once the trade deadline has passed, we shall have a better understanding of his negotiating abilities.

Team Building: B+ Ferguson is willing to preserve the future and build on what we have, which is a good thing. He seems to be good at recognizing chemistry as well.

Overall: B+ JFJ seems to be doing a fine job for his first year. Hopefully he only improves as the days pass by.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Snugglepuss

[QUOTE=Maple_Leafs_Forever]

Drafting: B+ Although we haven't been able to see how well he's done with the Leafs, JF has been highly successful on other teams in drafting and is held in high regard for his judgement of prospects.
QUOTE]

Alfreddson 5th round
Demitra 9th round

Here's hoping he can steal some for the Blue & White!

Old
02-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Verbal Kint*

[QUOTE=walknucklers]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever

QUOTE]

Alfreddson 5th round
Demitra 9th round

Here's hoping he can steal some for the Blue & White!
Yup, those were the main influences.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:46 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
You ask me, its N/A accross the board, besides Free agency, which has been good. Frankly, we wont know anything until a few years down the line ... he has a tough job with this relatively older team if you ask me. I wouldnt want to make some of the decisions he's going to have to make in the next little while, because either way he goes, there are going to be some fanboys down his throat (saying he risked too much of the future or didn't 'go for it').

One thing I've been hearing from everyone in the media is how hard a worker this guy is. Thats a good asset to have, and Im glad to know he's actively participating in the scouting, for one thing.

I dont get some of the criticism directed towards him already. March 9th hasnt passed yet, and the playoffs haven't been played yet. Leafs fans are notorious for being impatient, and its really embarrassing to see the everyone get into panic mode after Bob Boughner goes to the Avs *rollseyes* The Leafs are first in the conference, much above expectations if you ask me.

Old
02-21-2004, 05:46 AM
musdy

his trading should be an F+

Old
02-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrehedinrocks

Why is that?

Drake for Jackman.

I think this will prove to be valuable in the playoffs to have the depth confidence that Jackman didn't seem to give the leafs.

Other than that. How can you comment?

Old
02-21-2004, 08:22 AM
musdy

fine than a D+

Old
02-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Don't you think we should wait until the end of the season to evaluate JFJ?

Seems only fair. Or at least until after the deadline.

Old
02-21-2004, 09:00 AM
wasting time

JFJ is considered to be an expert on the current CBA. He likely has some pretty profound opinions about what the next CBA will be as well.

This fact gives me a lot of confidence in him that he will make some savvy trades that will not injure the Leafs in the future.

Don't like Jackman for Berehowsky one bit. There must have been something more to it. Both are right hand shots and at this stage in their career are virtually identical players except Jackman is 25 and Berehowsky is 32.

(My theory is that JFJ is adding net 1 more D which would have forced the current #7 guy into the #8 spot and on waivers. I believe that JFJ knows that Jackman would get picked off waivers and Berehowsky would not. So, Berehowsky will return to the team in the playoffs for added depth whereas Jackman would have been gone. So what about Colaiacovo as the #8 guy in the playoffs? Decent depth. Maybe JFJ realized that Coli will not be around in the playoffs . So having Hedin or Moro as the #8 guy in the playoffs would not be adequate. A la Jackman is traded for Berehowsky.)

Don't like JFJ allowing Bondra to go to the Sens one bit either. Spilled milk.

But, bottom line is that I have a lot of hope for the guy.

Old
02-21-2004, 09:55 AM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrehedinrocks
It shouldn't be F+ because we don't know about what kind of trades hes capable of.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Augustus

Too early to tell. An Incomplete is fair. Pretty good free agent signings (both no brainers actually). No trades to speak of yet. Impossible to judge draft.

After March 9 he can receive a preliminary grade on trading, but even that should be done with a pencil given both short-term and long-term ramifications that will be unknown for a while. However if he can pry Pronger loose for clod Belak I think we can go ahead and present him with high distinction honours.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:03 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
Too early to tell. An Incomplete is fair. Pretty good free agent signings (both no brainers actually). No trades to speak of yet. Impossible to judge draft.

After March 9 he can receive a preliminary grade on trading, but even that should be done with a pencil given both short-term and long-term ramifications that will be unknown for a while. However if he can pry Pronger loose for clod Belak I think we can go ahead and present him with high distinction honours.
Belak has got to be seriously concerned over his career while on the IR and his buddy Quinn no longer pulling the transaction strings, plus the emergence of Poni and Stajan, the acquisition of Johnson and the regular ice time of Perrott. Belak can't be feeling good these days.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Belak has got to be seriously concerned over his career while on the IR and his buddy Quinn no longer pulling the transaction strings, plus the emergence of Poni and Stajan, the acquisition of Johnson and the regular ice time of Perrott. Belak can't be feeling good these days.

Well clod Belak is not a bad fellow and I don't wish him ill. He is, however, a bad player with no potential for growth. He is, at best, an AHLer in skill level.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
I don't think Belak is on as much thin ice as you think. He's a guy who does exactly what the defenceman we need should be doing, except for the fact that he takes too many penalties while doing it. Belak is a very good versatile player who should not be moved or given up on. Maybe he should ride the press box for 40 games a season, but he's a player I'd want to see with the Leafs for a long time. I think JFJ knows how tough of a player Belak is, and will not move him for nothing, or let him go.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:18 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I don't think Belak is on as much thin ice as you think. He's a guy who does exactly what the defenceman we need should be doing, except for the fact that he takes too many penalties while doing it. Belak is a very good versatile player who should not be moved or given up on. Maybe he should ride the press box for 40 games a season, but he's a player I'd want to see with the Leafs for a long time. I think JFJ knows how tough of a player Belak is, and will not move him for nothing, or let him go.
Belak actually has considerable trade value now because in the last couple years he has emerged as one of the best pugilists in the game. Teams always need a guy like that.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:38 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

if doing little is a good thing then he's done been good at it.

showing patience and going with kids more sounds good, but
he may as well have gone to italy for the winter because he has done vertually nothing to make this team a worthy contender
n....o......t......h......i.....n.....g
he was reluctant to add klee and got nieuwendyk on gary roberts request.

he has been put to the test to significantly upgrade the blueline now and we are waiting
w.....a.....i.....t.....i......n......g

Old
02-21-2004, 10:56 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.

he may as well have gone to italy for the winter because he has done vertually nothing to make this team a worthy contender
Exactly my point. Why should he have to rush into something just to please fanboys like you? First place in the conference gives you the luxury of patience. You know full well that he's been busy scouting during the year, and dont pretend to know what else he has/has not been doing regarding the makeup of the team.

Quote:
he has been put to the test to significantly upgrade the blueline now and we are waiting
Congrats. You can spell.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:57 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.

he was reluctant to add klee and got nieuwendyk on gary roberts request.

P...a.....t.....i.....e.....n......c....e

Last time I checked, this Leaf team was in first place OVERALL in the Conference.
Who cares if he was reluctant (is this something you know for sure?) to add Klee ?

The bottom line is he did.

I don't think JFJ got Nieuwendyk solely because of Roberts; bottom line is he did.

Do you know if Clarke was hesitant to get Comrie ? Markov ? Who cares ? Bottom line is he did.

Everyday you pop up with some impatient post, imploring JFJ to add something (and you've suggested nearly every single player in the game); maybe you should try to learn some patience...

If JFJ made trades on whim and fancy, like fickle fans like yourself, we'd have a worse team that we do know.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Verbal Kint*

I gave him a C+ because of doing little. However I think the Berehowsky deal was good because the Drake helps chemistry. I'll update his marks on March 10th.

And for all those who like being impatient, its a good thing JFJ knows how not to go the Bobby Clarke route getting fill-ins for good prospects and then give quality defenseman away for nothing.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Patience indeed

How many teams have more points than the Leafs right now? That's right, ONE.

Don't worry, you guys will get your trade.

Old
02-21-2004, 05:47 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
How many teams have more points than the Leafs right now? That's right, ONE.

Don't worry, you guys will get your trade.
Well, if he is holding out for something big, he had better close the deal or else he will go home with nothing.

Old
02-21-2004, 06:59 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Belak actually has considerable trade value now because in the last couple years he has emerged as one of the best pugilists in the game. Teams always need a guy like that.
Look at what other enforcers have fetched in trades and tell me that he has "considerable trade value".

Old
02-21-2004, 08:04 PM
wasting time

Worrell and a second for prospects Nedorost and Eric Messier. Worrell was the key player of the deal dealt.

Belak could potentially fetch a mid range draft pick I would figure.

Old
02-21-2004, 08:13 PM
wasting time

Well, it was confirmed on the Hot Stove that JFJ was indeed in the bidding for Bondra and offered a 1st + something else I think.

He got outbid by the one team that is very scary with his addition.

Toronto is in a position now more than ever that to match up well against Ottawa they need a very physical, punishing defense. We all know the Leafs needed this anyway.

Boughner is gone. Debate whether he was the necessary guy. Gonchar is on the market. Debate whether he is the necesary guy.

I have said for months that Salei and Vaanannen, maybe Carney, Nordstrom, McLaren and rathje are the guys the Leafs need. I don't see them becoming available.

Not liking where this is going. No way this defense is enough, Gonchar is not the answer, and not seeing the player needed becoming available.

Old
02-21-2004, 08:45 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

you mean we were in first place
so much for the comfy lead
wait two more weeks and we'll be in 5th place

Closed Thread