HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Did you have a close call within the last 5 years?

Old
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Did you have a close call within the last 5 years?

Ok, I would like to ask everyone, "Did you ever have a close call with someone's skate about to cut your neck within the last 5 years?" If so, can you tell me the story.

No, this is not one of those, selling a product type of thing. It's just that in the last 30 years, I have had personal injury on the ice from other players skates and I was wondering if it was that big of a deal?

Yes, we are all skating on the ice with actual blades attached to our feet. But would you say that you were injured or cut by someone elses skates like I had?

One year, back in 1974, I was 15 years old, and I was coaching our local Mite goalie on the ice. During warm up, the kids were sliding down the rink on wet ice on their backs with their skates up in the air. Just when I turned, a 6 year old mite ran his skate across my shin and lacerated the vein that return blood up the leg.

However, things worked out and I still have my leg. But, you see kids in a pile up all of the time. I see a lot of kids, during games, run into each other and the next thing you know, half the next is in the pile.

Any thoughts?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
deanosaur

Well, sorta two. I had got a deflect puck at the bottom of my cage where the chin guard is, that one hurt, no biggie.
And another time no idea how it happened and got high sticked besides my neck in the opening for your head in the shoulder pads.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Yeah I've never had a skate cut my neck, but I've been hit by a puck there before.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Had some pretty bad cuts/bruises from sticks that left scars, but that's about it.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
deanosaur

Forgot one thing my favorite.
Playing in the WPG AAA league and made a nice hit with this guy, he tripped my up as he was falling and his skate cut the back of my leg (hamstring area I believe) didn't know till after the game a nice scar now. Got lucky though it wasn't too deep.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

There was a scrum, and I was in the middle of it...some guy fell and his skate cut my neck. It was a little cut but still !

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
WithOutPaperss

I've gotten my own skate to the back of my leg, after going into the boards feet first. It was weird but luckily I wasn't cut or injured bad. Just a bruise.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:41 AM
RobertKron

Several years back, I think in Bantam, a guy kicked me in the back of the leg as I was stripping him of the puck. The ref absolutely lost it at him.

Within the last five years the closest call I've had is a kid stepping on my foot when I was on the bench coaching. Luckily it didn't get through my shoe or draw blood because he was stepping straight down, and so the blade wasn't moving in a slashing motion.

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
noobman

I wear a neck guard and a full cage, so I"m not too concerned about it.

I don't think anyone's skate has been anywhere close to my throat anyways.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Rickety Cricket

The closest i've had is in a college club game where I covered up the puck and the guy infront of the net stepped on my glove hand

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

When I had money to play ice hockey, i had a close call. I'm skating down the left wing and my center and I we're about to cross paths and he got hipchecked, his skate flew up and hit me right in the helmet. When I got to the bench, I took my helmet off and I had a clean line across my helmet from his skate.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i got highsticked in the face twice when i played mens league. once i got a tooth knocked out, the other time i got a blackeye, but i never had anything happen with my neck.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I was playing in a women's AAA tournament in Calgary. Ended up on the bottom of a scrum in front of the net, with the goalie, one of their D, and my centre on top of me.

Got up and my jersey was sliced all the way through along with a chunk taken out of my shoulder pad and a scratch on my cage. Turns out that I got a blade in the face/neck area and there was a mark on my neckguard.

Thank god for the Maltese neckguard or I would have been pooched.

08-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i had a really close call. this was when i first started playing goalie. i was playing in a pick up game with some travel kids. this kid was coming down on a break away on me and i put the paddle of my stick flat down on the ice to cause he was getting close so i wanted to cover the bottom of the net. im not exactly sure what happened but he went to my stick side and i tripped him with my stick. he fell and his opposite leg kicked bak and hit my in the face with the blade.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Steelhead16

Playing in a pretty competitive pick up league a while back. A 6'9" guy that I had played with and aginst for years got annoyed that I stopped him 2 on 1 five times in a row. (he never passes so it was easy) I didn't have ahelmet on and he decides to cross check in the face in front of the net and breaks my nose. It knocked me over backwards so I was on my back in the middle of the slot just as 3 or my teammates attack him. My eyes were pretty wattery but I could see him stepping backwards to try an keep his balance and his size 15 skates about to step from my forehead to my chin. I got a hand up and deflected his skate and it just grazed my ear on the way by.
2nd was also in front of the net. I knocked a guy over backwards with 2 fists to the chest and as he was going over he swung his stick at me and and it clipped my ear on the way by and almost took it off.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Pax Macioretty

last year i dove to pull the puck away from an opponent and another stepped on my glove, he was max 2 inches from cutting my wrist ala Donald Audette

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
A few years back I had a guy get tangled up with me and as he got up to skate away he came down right on my face, somehow as I was turning my head and he was stepping down he missed me for the most part.....although he did shave 1/2 my face with his blade. I'll never forget the look on the refs face as he came flying to my side after blowing the whistle to stop play, and hearing the words "I thought for sure your face would be fillet open when I got over here: Scary **** that was.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Sportacus
:)

I had to be hospitalized when I was 12 or 13 from an extremely hard crosscheck to the throat, but it didn't cause any permanent damage.

08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Clarke

nothing near as serious, only a guy cutting in front of the net and just happened to hook his stick under my mask and kinda pull me with his force. alittle cut on the neck, nothing bad.

Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Closest was when I had my helmet off on the bench and someone jumped the boards and swung their skate a couple inches in front of me. Now I pay more attention when I'm on the bench.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Was on a breakway, got hooked on the right arm, brushed it off...kept going...

Then the guy uses the blade to yank me by my throat and pull me down to the ice. Hit my head on the ice pretty hard, got up started fighting. Had a nice burn mark by my throat area from the stick and it hurt like hell.

We both were suspended for a couple games each...lol

Then another time accidentally, a guy was pivoting in open hockey (didn't really know what he was doing) came around with his stick and wacked me right in the throat.

Started spitting out blood.

None with the skate tho....Thank God!!

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Phoenix

No - I play in rec league, so probably less injuries in general too I guess.

Slicing injuries-wise haven't had any; closest I've seen is some guy who got his tendons sliced and couldn't play for 5 years or something.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
vivianmb

i checked a guy and he flipped. his skate cut the tip of my ear off.( relax only a little piece)only 4 stitches but it bled forever. i also had a got hit as i was turning and cut my own ankle (11 stitches)with my own skate.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote