Notices

Mahr/Kerr Discuss The Flames (Fan 960)

Old
08-21-2008, 12:54 AM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Mahr/Kerr Discuss The Flames (Fan 960)

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...6_180903_21476

Trades for Flames possible involving defenders to teams trying to make the floor of 40.7 Mill
Would be for prospects or drafts.

Team overhauled up front. Sutter felt it was time to give guys in system a shot at getting into the lineup. Iggy and Phaneuf could not have had better years, so they need support group to deliver.

Needs area, Kipper has to be better at start....playing catchup all year. Defence need to improve. Aucoin and Sarich to improve. Warrener or Eriksson could be moved or to the minors. Pardy has good chance to stick. They are high on Giordano contributing. Another key will be second line and Lombardi, will he make it? First line no matter who is on it, will look good.

Bertuzzi Langkow Iginla probable first line.
Cammalleri Lombardi Glencross/Bourque
Pressure on Lombo to make a go of second line.
Backlund could be longshot.

Conroy and Primeau 3/4th line Centers surrounded by youngsters or Glencross Bourque if they dont make second line.

Mahr says number two line needs to be more productive. They need to see one that is close to first line. Kerr thinks 3rd and 4th line need to step up.

Mahr feels Oilers most improved. (Could have sophomore jinx though)
Flames improved somewhat.
Minnesota similar to last year.
Vancouver weaker.
Colorado significantly weaker.

Collective Bargaining agreement, not likely to be reopened. Players choice and they should be happy with status quo. By end of month, may be announcement that they will not reopen. More signings likely then.

Sundin Maher doesnt think he will play.
(holding Vancouver hostage) His decision though.
Sakic Maher believes Sakic considering retirement. Joe knows Avalanche considerably weaker. His chances of making Olympic team in 2010, are not good. Lots of reasons to quit.
Shanahan Rangers most likely. His signing tied to CBA not being reopened. Bonus etc. can be used if not reopened.
McCabe A done deal, Sept 2 because of bonus. Van Ryn is the guy going to TO.

A lot of players yet to be moved or signed between now and middle of Sept.

Regular season starts week later, US teams dont want to compete against NFL.

KHL one month into preseason.

Two weeks until things get going. YAHOO

Last edited by abracanada: 08-21-2008 at 01:01 AM.
abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Qubax

Thanks I missed that segment...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...6_180903_21476

Bertuzzi Langkow Iginla probable first line.
Cammalleri Lombardi Glencross/Bourque
Pressure on Lombo to make a go of second line.
Backlund could be longshot.

Mahr says number two line needs to be more productive. They need to see one that is close to first line. Kerr thinks 3rd and 4th line need to step up.
Ugh, I sure hope Boyd gets his chance. I must have mentioned this 4 or 5 times but here it is again: Boyd's production rate last year was better than Lombardi's and almost as good as Phaneuf's. A second line of Cammalleri-Lombardi-Boyd has the potential to be very, very deadly.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Ugh, I sure hope Boyd gets his chance. I must have mentioned this 4 or 5 times but here it is again: Boyd's production rate last year was better than Lombardi's and almost as good as Phaneuf's. A second line of Cammalleri-Lombardi-Boyd has the potential to be very, very deadly.

Agreed - BUT, it'd be entirely too small. Bourque/Glencross are both grittier and play 'bigger' than Boyd.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Was there even a mention of Boyd by Maher and Kerr? Don't have a chance to listen to it right now. Have to think for sure he is in the running with Bourque and Glencross for that second line spot.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:45 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Was there even a mention of Boyd by Maher and Kerr? Don't have a chance to listen to it right now. Have to think for sure he is in the running with Bourque and Glencross for that second line spot.
No mention of Boyd. The thing with Boyd is that they still have concerns over his defensive game. There is a reason he didnt play in one playoff game. He appears to have put on some beef and that may help, but he has a lot gto prove before I would consider him a good fit for the second line.

Old
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Hyperkookeez*

a 2nd line close to iggy, langkow, bert would be nice but both lombardi and bourque would have to considerably pick up their game in order for that to happen

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
a 2nd line close to iggy, langkow, bert would be nice but both lombardi and bourque would have to considerably pick up their game in order for that to happen
Cammalleri could lead a line. I am not so sure Bourque would be the guy either. To my way of thinking, more likely Glencross than Bourque. And, if Lombo does not work out, Conroy has put up excellent numbers with Cammalleri as a wing (66 pts) and then if that doesnt work, there is the possibility of Backlund or Boyd. There will be lots of pressure and competition for that second line. It could push players to be their best. And that is a good scenario.

Old
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Northern Neighbour

I think Keenan should consider giving Boyd a chance to play with Langkow and Iginla. He has the skill set to play on the top line, and he won't have to be too defensively responsible since Langkow and Iginla are excellent defensive players. And if the team wants more balance, then putting Boyd on the top line would allow Cammalleri, Lombardi, and Bertuzzi to play together, which would be a balance of speed, skill, and size.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Murn

Boyd's skill set is not suited for lines 3/4. He should be given a chance up there on 1 and 2. I can not understand the reasoning in not getting him some playoff experience against the sharks, if only a few minutes of ice time. Glencross and his forecheck is the ideal 3rd liner.

Murn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Hyde

I think that we’ll see a whole bunch of different line combinations since Keenan doesn’t run set lines (neither did Sutter). So for a couple of shifts maybe we’ll see a line of Boyd-Langkow-Iginla heck maybe even for a whole game! This is why I don’t worry about line combinations, because they’re changing shift to shift, game to game.

Thank for posting that link abracanada.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Agreed - BUT, it'd be entirely too small. Bourque/Glencross are both grittier and play 'bigger' than Boyd.
True, but it would also be pretty damn fast. If you have speed, you don't really need to be big. Speed and skill tend to be a deadly combination these days.

Old
08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
abracanada

Quote:
True, but it would also be pretty damn fast. If you have speed, you don't really need to be big. Speed and skill tend to be a deadly combination these days.
Could he be taken advantage of defensively however? Hey, if this added poundage and muscle makes him solid on his feet, I am all for it. I just don't want the second line spending all their time in their own end.

Old
08-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
too small and soft... swap conroy with lombardi and maybe

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Could he be taken advantage of defensively however? Hey, if this added poundage and muscle makes him solid on his feet, I am all for it. I just don't want the second line spending all their time in their own end.
Lombardi's great defensively. I think this year Boyd will be decent. Cammy isn't that great. I don't think defence will be too big a problem.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
You don't have to be big and tough in today's NHL if you have speed and skill. I think it'll be a nice contrast from the big and tough first line. Besides, I really don't want Conroy getting top 6 minutes.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:40 PM
PIMking

Does anyone think that Boyd might just be sent to the minors because of his two way contract? look at the roster now its going to be hard for Boyd to make the points that he can get while playing on the 3rd- or 4th line. This is going to be a guy that will leave Calgary and catch on somewere else after his contract is over since now one will let him have a shot on the 2nd line.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
ComixZone

I see Boyd being brought along much like Lombardi was. I think Boyd will spend the year with Conroy or Primeau learning how to play defense perhaps even killing penalties before he gets his shot at 2nd/1st line time.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Does anyone think that Boyd might just be sent to the minors because of his two way contract? look at the roster now its going to be hard for Boyd to make the points that he can get while playing on the 3rd- or 4th line. This is going to be a guy that will leave Calgary and catch on somewere else after his contract is over since now one will let him have a shot on the 2nd line.
That has crossed my mind. With him being the only forward with a 2 way it could be an option. I don't see it happening though. Sutter and Keenan are both very high on Boyd so he'll get a chance eventually.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Murn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
I see Boyd being brought along much like Lombardi was. I think Boyd will spend the year with Conroy or Primeau learning how to play defense perhaps even killing penalties before he gets his shot at 2nd/1st line time.
I think this will happen as well but it is a shame. Why do we want to turn our skilled players into grinders. Sutter has done the right thing this year by picking up a little youth and speed to align the team with the current nhl. Now we need to take a risk and give them a shot. The status quo will get us another first round exit.

Murn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
swap in bourque instead? hes got enough speed to keep up with lombo and cammalleri plus hes big and gritty

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:53 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
You don't have to be big and tough in today's NHL if you have speed and skill. I think it'll be a nice contrast from the big and tough first line. Besides, I really don't want Conroy getting top 6 minutes.
Wasting your time mate.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
swap in bourque instead? hes got enough speed to keep up with lombo and cammalleri plus hes big and gritty
and Conroy will put up more points... and he isn't that slow... besides put Conroy with Boyd and Cammalleri and you can have Bourque, Lombardi, Glencross as a line

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
Wasting your time mate.
Stating my opinion on a message board is a waste of time? Well, luckily I'm kind of young, still got a bit.

Last edited by Noori: 08-25-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old
08-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Noori

Quote:
and Conroy will put up more points... and he isn't that slow... besides put Conroy with Boyd and Cammalleri and you can have Bourque, Lombardi, Glencross as a line
Conroy may not be slow but he's pretty much useless in terms of scoring at this point. And do you really want to stick Lombardi on the third line again? I think that he definitely has the potential to produce if he's put in with skilled players like Boyd and Cammy.

Bourque - Conroy - GlenX

That's a fantastic third line that is pretty fast and pretty damn physical. These guys forechecking...

Nystrom - Primeau - Prust/Moss/Roy also makes for physical 4th line.

Our lineup would probably be best looking like this:

Bertuzzi - Langkow -Iginla
Cammy - Lombardi -Boyd
Borque - Conroy - GlenX
Nystrom - Primeau - Moss/Prust/Roy

Regehr - Sarich
Phaneuf - Vandermeer
Aucoin - Giordano

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

Last edited by Noori: 08-25-2008 at 01:05 AM.