HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
2008-2009 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

The last iteration of last year's thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=465642

08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Boumedienne to Leafs (It's written in Swedish)
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle3153599.ab

Robitaille to Italy:
http://grahammink.blogspot.com/2008/08/big-swede.html

Old
08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
There are going to be a lot of happy Bears fans with that news.

Me? I'll miss Louis's antics, personally.

Old
08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
The Viking Fury

I loved Louis R. I especially loved my **** eating grin in Wilkes barre every time he did something classic and the pens fans got pissed at him. I swear they went to games to jeer at Louis more than cheer for the pens.

Old
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Tomppav

BEARS SIGN TOM MAXWELL AND DARREN REID

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...il.php?id=2557

Old
09-13-2008, 09:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

I had pulled this together for another hockey board, here's the info...

This list does not include the players that were on the Caps roster to end last season, for example, Laing; there will be training camp competitions and the possibility of a player heading to Hershey via waivers.

NHL/AHL - listed are both NHL contracted and AHL only contracts; announced Hershey contracts by position (alpha order by position; also shown, age for the younger guys as of Oct 31, 2008, which is the end of the first month of the 08-09 season; what NA pro season (full) 08-09 will be for the younger players); I added to this quickly, so please make any age/year corrections necessary and if I missed anyone

Centers (6): Keith Aucoin (AHL vet), Jay Beagle (23/2nd), Andrew Joudrey (24/2nd), Travis Morin (24/2nd), Mathieu Perreault (20/1st), Kyle Wilson (23/3rd)

Wingers (11): Francois Bouchard (20/1st), Chris Bourque (22/4th), Alexandre Giroux (AHL vet), Andrew Gordon (22/2nd), Maxime Lacroix (Hershey only, 21/1st), Tom Maxwell (Hershey only), Grant McNeill (Hershey only, W/D), Graham Mink (AHL vet), Oskar Osala (19/1st), Steve Pinizzotto (24/2nd), Darren Reid (Hershey only, not an AHL vet)

Giroux also plays center and most of the centers can/have also played wing in the org.; I'm slotting Grant McNeill in as an enforcer/winger although he also plays D; as noted, Laing not listed

Defense (11): Karl Alzner (20/1st), Greg Amadio (Hershey only, not an AHL vet), Dean Arsene (Hershey only, AHL vet lower category), Sean Collins (25/2nd), Viktor Dovgan (21, 2nd), Josh Godfrey (20/1st), Bryan Helmer (Hershey only, AHL vet), Sami Lespito (24/2nd), Patrick McNeill (21/2nd), Sasha Pokulok (22/3rd, if you count the first season), Tyler Sloan (not an AHL vet)

Goalies (3): Daren Machesney (21/3rd), Michal Neuvirth (20/1st), Simeon Varlamov (20/1st)

AHL vets: Aucoin, Giroux, Helmer, Mink, Arsene (fits the criteria for the other AHL vet category), Laing if in Hershey

AHL (non-NHL contracted players): Amadio, Arsene, Helmer, Lacroix, Maxwell, G. McNeill, Reid

I included Alzner and Lepisto in the lists although 1 or both will make their case for being on the opening night Caps roster. And there is the issue with Laing and whether he makes the team as a depth forward, etc. Camp competitions, trades, waivers, all still to come.

Old
09-13-2008, 09:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

per my notes, SC contracted players announced to date: 2 goalies, 3 forwards, 4 d-men

(9) Bobby Goepfert (G); Josh Johnson (G); Keith Johnson (F); Paul Kelly (F); Nate Kiser (D); Johan Kroll (D); Scott Romfo (D); Matt Scherer (F); Zach Tarkir (D)

SC has 13 signed players, likely the other 4 are Canadians and the signings haven't been officially announced due to visa issues according to a blog post by the beat writer

Old
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
sk84fun_dc

John Walton has the draft Hershey training camp roster (starts on 9.26 Fri) posted on his blog - as he notes, until someone is sent down from Washington, they are still with the Caps

http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com/

quite a number of FA agents on the list plus a couple of SC signed players; quick look I think this is the list of FAs:

Bobby Goepfert (G; signed with SC)
Ben Boudreau (C)
Justin Bourne (RW); former teammate of Beagle's at UAA
Jeff Corey (RW); Pennsylvania kid, IIRC, and has an ECHL contract with Reading
Michael Dubuc (LW) (FA attending Caps camp)
Christian Gaudet (C)
Keith Johnson (LW; signed with SC)
Bryan Jurynec (LW)
Tyson Marsh (D)
Gavin Morgan (C) (ex-Bear)
Colin Nicholson (RW)
Alexandre Parent (C)
Justin Sawyer (D)
Michael Wirll (RW)

also, SC announced the signing of Pierre Luc O'Brien; played for the Stingrays last season, but will miss the start of this season due to injury

OT: as someone brought to my attention, Werner has been in camp with the Nashville Pred rookies

Old
09-24-2008, 10:37 PM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
John Walton has the draft Hershey training camp roster (starts on 9.26 Fri) posted on his blog - as he notes, until someone is sent down from Washington, they are still with the Caps

http://johnwaltonhockey.blogspot.com/

quite a number of FA agents on the list plus a couple of SC signed players; quick look I think this is the list of FAs:

Bobby Goepfert (G; signed with SC)
Ben Boudreau (C)
Justin Bourne (RW); former teammate of Beagle's at UAA
Jeff Corey (RW); Pennsylvania kid, IIRC, and has an ECHL contract with Reading
Michael Dubuc (LW) (FA attending Caps camp)
Christian Gaudet (C)
Keith Johnson (LW; signed with SC)
Bryan Jurynec (LW)
Tyson Marsh (D)
Gavin Morgan (C) (ex-Bear)
Colin Nicholson (RW)
Alexandre Parent (C)
Justin Sawyer (D)
Michael Wirll (RW)

also, SC announced the signing of Pierre Luc O'Brien; played for the Stingrays last season, but will miss the start of this season due to injury

OT: as someone brought to my attention, Werner has been in camp with the Nashville Pred rookies
Based on Hershey's training camp roster, could one of the posters more familiar with the Bears post who they think will stick in Hershey and who is gone either to SC or cut altogether? They look real deep at Center and Defense, also, what about possible lines? I'd assume Aucoin would be the #1, then Wilson, and Beagle, with Perrault, Morin, and Joudrey battling for time. I hope Dovgan sticks with the bears, though I have a feeling he ends up where Simeon goes. The D looks really good, especially if Alzner and Lepisto are down for any significant playing time. Anyway, I plan on making some road trips up to hershey for some weekend games, as I think the Bears are gonna have a great year.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM
sk84fun_dc

About the 14 FAs - The Bears, like many AHL teams, bring in a number of FAs for camp. Plenty of reasons including giving guys a shot to make the team, but also getting familiar with players as possible call-ups during the season, doing favors in some instances to agents, coaches, etc., and simply to ice enough players at the beginning of camp before some of the players get sent down from the NHL camp. Most of the FAs are signed to IHL, ECHL, or CHL, but a few that aren't signed could also be possibilities for contracts with SC. Given all of the signed players, there isn't much room in Hershey, IMO.

The name that caught my eye on that list - Gavin Morgan, a former Bear and a fighter, from what I recall, but the Bears already have Grant McNeill signed as a depth player that can fight. And there are a few other FA invites that played in the AHL before, too.

About line combos, way too early, IMO. Sure, one could write lines down on paper, I've seen some others do it already, but who knows how it all plays out given the depth on the roster and how the final slots are filled in both Washington and Hershey. Woods has options (if he has a healthy roster, knock on wood) about pairing up guys depending on chemistry.

SC is expecting some players and it seems reasonable looking at the depth on the rosters that some players will find themselves in SC for part or all of the season. The entry-level players and AHL signed players are going to have to earn their roster spots and playing time in Hershey. Some possibilities..Lacroix, Maxwell, Grant McNeill; although I assumed Grant McNeill was signed to be a depth F/D to put in the line-up when more toughness is needed depending on the opponent.

About the centers, in some cases, I think it's possible someone could shift to wing depending on how it plays out. Beagle played wing at times last season, IIRC.

Assuming there are no surprises in terms of who makes the Caps top 14 forwards, Hershey PKrs include Laing, Giroux, Bourque, Beagle, and Joudrey.

Old
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Some Hershey camp info from Tim Leone:
Quote:
Woods said he anticipates opening the regular season, which begins Oct. 8 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, with 25 players on the roster: 15 forwards, eight defensemen, two goalies.

Based upon an unofficial roster assessment, centerman Travis Morin and defensemen Sean Collins and Sasha Pokulok, who all had playing time with Hershey in 2007-08, will be hard-pressed to make the opening-night roster.
Injuries happen but hopefully Morin can grab one of the few spots up for grabs. He's too good for the ECHL level.

Gavin Morgan apparently has left for Europe (Norway, of all places).

Old
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Rumblick

Twenty five players is a bit much. I guess he'll want to get an extended look at some of the bubble guys, but I've got to believe he'll cut that to 22 or so before too long.

Old
09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
sk84fun_dc

Rumblick, I agree if injuries don't impact the roster, a few more players may be cut/reassigned, but it makes sense to start with a few extra guys and they are playing with 18 skaters this season.

Plus the Bears start the season with 3 games in 4 nights on the road and the Stingrays' regular season doesn't start until Oct 18th (the Stingrays play 2 preseason games in Alaska 10/8 and 10/9)

Bears preseason game schedule: Sun, 9/28 vs Norfolk; Fri 10/3 at WBS; Sat 10/4 vs WBS

Bears regular season first game: 10/8 at WBS; home opener is on 10/18 vs Syracuse

Hershey's camp opened tonight, Leone with the update:

for some first night line combos, see the link

The main highlights of the 90-minute on-ice session were Oskar Osala's laser goal on Bobby Goephert [it's Goepfert last I saw his name on a jersey] and Justin Sawyer's crushing hit on Maxime Lacroix at the bench wall."

"Seven players reassigned from Washington got the night off: Wilson, Pinizzotto, Godfrey, Bouchard, Reid, Arsene, Mink."

link

Walton Q&A with Bob Woods

link

Stingrays update

link

Old
09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
sk84fun_dc

Leone's Article on Amadio

Old
09-28-2008, 03:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

For those that like to listen to Bears games to follow the prospects and the Bears, in general, John Walton has info. about a new audio provider this year (much needed!)

Anyway, it is supposed to be working this afternoon at 5pm

www.sportsjuice.com

see for more info:
www.johnwaltonhockey.com

other Bears' updates

Walton has the line-up for tonight

Dubuc-Wilson-Bouchard
Lacroix-Joudrey-Maxwell
Parent-Morin-Corey
Johnson-Boudreau-Nicholson

Pokulok-Collins
Dovgan-Marsh
Sawyer-P.McNeill

Neuvirth Goepfert

edit: Wilson in, in place of Beagle

Leone has an article on Helmer

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-28-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

LOL, Walton in mid-season form calling the goal scored by Ben Boudreau (in the first preseason game)

Bears outshoot Norfolk and win 5-4; Dubuc 2 goals; Dovgan with several hits; Pokulok hit a couple of posts
first: Dubuc (Wilson, Bouchard)
second: Norfolk 2 goals in first 1:18 of second period; Boudreau PPG; Bouchard (Wilson and McNeill)
third: Norfolk goal early in the third; Dubuc (Wilson, Bouchard); Collins PPG (Nicholson, nice pass according to Walton, and K. Johnson); Norfolk goal

updates:

Leone short entry about the game, Boudreau and the boxscore

Walton's recap

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-28-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Tomppav

Bears cut 10 players:

Justin Bourne (assigned to Reading, ECHL)

Bryan Jurynec (assigned to Kalamazoo, IHL)

Keith Johnson (assigned to South Carolina, ECHL)

Colin Nicholson (assigned to Florida, ECHL)

Michael Wirll (assigned to Mississippi, ECHL)

Alexandre Parent (assigned to Mississippi, ECHL)

Justin Sawyer (assigned to Oklahoma City, CHL)

Bobby Goepfert (assigned to South Carolina, ECHL)

Christian Gaudet (assigned to Dayton, ECHL)

Tyson Marsh (assigned to Columbia, ECHL)

Old
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

minor correction, the release says Columbia, but Columbia isn't fielding a team this season; Marsh has a contract with Reading

article about the first preseason game, but the reason it is worth reading ...the comments from Andrew Gordon link

Old
09-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
There are going to be a lot of happy Bears fans with that news.

Me? I'll miss Louis's antics, personally.
Agreed.

Old
09-30-2008, 05:33 PM
sk84fun_dc

hmm, an interesting update from SC's beat writer:

"Bedsy said he expects to get at least four or five guys from Hershey on Thursday or Friday. There are some names that you’ll recognize and a couple that will surprise you – well they surprised me!"

and Leone's updates on today's lines at practice ("Bob Woods said the Bears will reassign winger Jeff Corey to Reading (ECHL) today. Ben Boudreau is slated to depart for Flint (IHL) on Thursday"): link

nice to see MacLean in his new position as asst coach for the Rays (home games)

also, Stingrays sign defenseman Brad Farynuk

link to blog update

link to MacLean announcement

Old
09-30-2008, 06:50 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

So the beat writer knows the names....and isn't reporting them?

Old
10-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Aucoin clears waivers:
Quote:
The Bears breathed a sigh of relief when Aucoin cleared waivers at noon today after being reassigned by the Washington Capitals. There had been some concern that the Carolina Hurricanes, a team Aucoin played 38 games for last season, might snatch him back.

Aucoin, 29, said he wanted to clear and come to Hershey, even though a waiver claim would have meant an immediate return to the NHL for him.

"I like this organization so far," Aucoin said. "They've treated me well. I came to camp and I signed a contract to be with this organization."
He should be in for another big season, given his track record.

Old
10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Aucoin clears waivers:

He should be in for another big season, given his track record.
I definitely think he's going to be a very solid depth guy for both clubs...kinda of like Giroux a few seasons back

10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
sk84fun_dc

About Aucoin, I guess they were worried about waivers because of the injuries in Carolina and the end to the O'Neill tryout.

Arsene and his health link

"Finally. No more questions. No more second guessing. No more doubts.
Veteran defenseman Dean Arsene can once again start focusing on what’s happening on the ice, not on what’s happening off the ice..."

SC's training camp opens Friday, Oct 3, and the team heads to Alaska on Sunday Oct 6 to continue camp and play 2 preseason games against the Alaska Aces

Add another forward, Trent Campbell, to SC's roster according to a Manitoba Moose press release (he played for SC last season, too).

Old
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
sk84fun_dc

The goalie situation may take care of itself to start the season, arghhhh...

Neuvirth as of this morning was scheduled to play tomorrow night in WBS; Machesney in Hershey the next game

..but "Goalie Michal Neuvirth exited practice after getting hit in the head. He was slated for further examination."

other Leone updates, Beagle's comment on fighting Downie: "I just threw punches," Beagle said. "He's a good fighter. He knows what he's doing. He knows how to protect himself. We just went toe-to-toe and it was fun."

"Keith Aucoin, Dean Arsene and Viktor Dovgan also are slated to sit out [Friday night's] game." addn: Gordon, Beagle and Giroux are also expected to sit that game out

link

Dan S article about the Bears that played in Philly; goalies, etc.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-02-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread