HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2008-2009 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
been away a few days, but on paper this team is crazy, here's what I had typed up earlier today, but I keep swapping out where to play the centers, but plenty of options with Bourque and possibly Laing to start the season; crazy that my first version has Joudrey as a possible scratch (edit: my guesses only, Wed. night we will know, if not before)

Giroux Aucoin Mink
Bourque Wilson Gordon
Laing (if he clears) Beagle Reid
Osala Perreault or Joudrey Bouchard
Pinizzotto, G. McNeill

Amadio Helmer
Sloan Lepisto
Arsene Alzner
Godfrey , P. McNeill, Collins

given the schedule, players will rotate in and out, D and F; Godfrey had a hat trick in the preseason and yet, who do you bump to play him in the opener?

by my count, they are fine in terms of AHL vets even adding Laing

IMO, this sends Lacroix to SC, Dubuc to SC or back to the Q; I think Pinizzotto could find himself back in SC for playing time, too; and one or both of McNeill or Collins

3 former C's on the team if Laing is added: Giroux, Arsene and Laing; and one article mentioned the possibility of Helmer wearing the C

about Walton, along with the podcast, there will be archived audio broadcasts of the games

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-06-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

by the way, the Stingrays announced the signings of 4 more forwards
the signings of Campbell and McIlveen had leaked, but the other 2 have been announced now, as well

http://www.stingrayshockey.com/news/...article_id=740

about the SC assignments, I don't think any of them are surprising if one follows the prospects and the affiliated organizations. however, I agree with an earlier post that Morin has been buried in this org. and with another team would be given more of a chance at the AHL level. Dovgan needs the ice time and special teams play he'll get early in the season in the ECHL given the D in Hershey, but I don't think I was alone in thinking he would stay in Hershey in large part because of Varlamov, so in that context it was a surprise to see the announcement.

Stingrays preseason games start Wed.

Bears regular season starts Wed.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
CritZ

Ive heard through a very reliable source that Dubuc has signed a one way contract for two years with Hershey, so it means he is staying with the Bears.

Old
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
Ive heard through a very reliable source that Dubuc has signed a one way contract for two years with Hershey, so it means he is staying with the Bears.
thanks

I assumed there was a good chance he was turning pro based on his performance and that he is still with the team; seems like every year there is a player or two (e.g., Marty Guerin last season) where the contract is never announced.

About the contract type, I don't know as much about the AHL contracts as I do the NHL, but my understanding from following this stuff is that the one way aspect of an AHL deal is the same as with the NHL ...that is it has to do with the salary aspect not whether the player could be assigned to the ECHL. (although I haven't followed how that works with the ECHL salary cap stuff; I know there are rules about the AHL/ECHL payment for a player in the ECHL, etc.)

He's had a good camp, but playing time is going to be tough to start the season in Hershey, which is why I was speculating that at some point he could find himself with SC. SC is in Alaska for the week for the 2 preseason games while Hershey plays 3 regular season games this week so I assume this is the Bears roster for the short-term and more assignments could be made to SC depending on performance, call-ups. injuries, and more when SC returns from Alaska.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-06-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old
10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

For whatever this is worth, HF Bears Preview: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eason_preview/

10-07-2008, 10:57 AM
frasnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
For whatever this is worth, HF Bears Preview: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eason_preview/
Quote:
When Bob Boudreau took over the reins of the parent Capitals organization mid-way through the 2007-08 campaign
Heh.

Old
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

Helmer wearing the C for the Bears

Arsene and Mink A's at home

Laing and Aucoin A's on the road

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...d_captain.html

Old
10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
sk84fun_dc

SC Stingrays: officially on the roster as in announced signing or assigned by Washington and/or Hershey based on my notes

2 G: Bobby Goepfert; Josh Johnson

10 F: Trent Campbell; Keith Johnson; Paul Kelly; Tom Maxwell (Hershey); Jeff MacDermid; Paul McIlveen; Travis Morin (Wash); Pierre Luc-O’Brien; Jeff Rainville; Matt Scherer

7 D: Viktor Dovgan (Wash); Brad Farynuk; Nate Kiser; Johan Kroll; Sasha Pokulok (Wash); Scott Romfo; Zach Tarkir

there could be a few more players - unannounced signings and/or tryouts in camp/on the trip to Alaska

Old
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
sk84fun_dc

right now, no info. about who is playing tonight other than Machesney getting the start; modifying my earlier guess, with Reid out with lower body injury, slot Pinizzotto in on the RW; also, I'm guessing one of Arsene or Amadio could sit against less physical opponents (or by inserting someone like G. McNeill as a 4th line wing; but there are plenty of physical players in this line-up.)

I am curious to see how many of the rookies Woods plays in game 1 on the road tonight. Plenty of opportunity for rotating players in and out this week with the back to back games in Norfolk Fri and Sat. (OT: here's to Lepisto erasing the memory of opening night in WBS last season)

article about the goalies by Leone - Machesney gets the start tonight

and the loan basics:

"That decision could have an impact on the ultimate dispensation of Hershey's three-netminder situation. Once a player officially appears in a game -- even sitting on the bench as a backup goalie -- he can't return to play for his original AHL club if he's loaned to another AHL club."

(I had sought info. on the loan info., and this is what I was told as well; I thought there was a timeframe in which you could recall the player to your AHL team, but nope, once on roster and then loaned, the player cannot return to that AHL team; the player can be recalled to the parent team)

goalie article

Bourque, Laing, Alzner return to the Bears article and more about the leadership on the team

Bears receive 3 more players

Walton's preview:

Walton's Blog - Preview

Old
10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Excited for the opener for the system! These two team are so stacked it's going to make a fun season.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:24 PM
sk84fun_dc

yup, by the way, PennLive (I assume Leone) has posted blurbs about each of the players on the roster

http://www.pennlive.com/hersheybears...880.xml&coll=1

I was curious what was going on with Joudrey; he indicates they've been experimenting with him at LW during camp; interesting given he's a solid F/O guy; also, things are a bit different on the LW now with the return of Laing and Bourque

here's the video info. for AHL games, including the per game and season plan cost (unfortunately costs appear similar to B2), but there will be archived games (I didn't see an indication of what the cost is for archived games)

http://ahl.neulion.com/team/console.htm

to listen to audio of Bears games for free

www.sportsjuice.com

Old
10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

Walton's opening night info:

The Bears scratch both Patrick and Grant McNeill, Darren Reid, Francois Bouchard, Andrew Joudrey, Maxime Lacroix and Greg Amadio.

lol, I was close, Bouchard and Reid (injured) out, Dubuc and Pinizzotto in; Amadio out with Godfrey playing; crazy that Joudrey has dropped to a scratch for opening night. I figured Pinizzotto would be playing once I heard Reid was hurt.

Giroux/Aucoin/Mink
Bourque/Wilson/Gordon
Laing/Beagle/Pinizzotto
Osala/Perreault/Dubuc

so the 6 D playing are: Alzner, Arsene, Godfrey, Helmer, Lepisto, Sloan

Old
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

do we know the G situation yet? ie backup

Old
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
do we know the G situation yet? ie backup
Varlamov

Old
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

I logged in after Walton gave the Bears line-up; the scoresheet should be updated in a minute or two; I plan to edit this post, not add new ones, opening stuff going on and then the puck will drop in WBS..answer, Varlamov

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1004777

starting line-up:
Laing Beagle Pinizzotto
Sloan Helmer
Machesney

Arsene paired with Godfrey
Lepisto Alzner

Aucoin scores Hershey's first goal of the season
Pinizzotto with the first PIMs of the season (that is not a surprise); PK killed now Bears headed to the PP (Dubuc (I think) with a nice outlet pass to Beagle; Beagle nice play/SOG and draws a penalty)

first PP unit cashes in, Bourque's first of the season (first PP was Bourque and Lepisto on the points; Giroux, Aucoin and Mink up front)
Stone scores a PPG with Arsene in the box
Bears back to the PP: this unit: Perreault Wilson Gordon Godfrey Helmer; keep the puck in the zone a long time...Godfrey with his shot, and Gordon passes the rebound to Perreault, standing in front of the net, who scores his first pro goal
Pinizzotto and Richmond square off
Bears leading 3-1 and back on the PP; Bears up 4-1, PP 3 for 3, Mink with the goal

end of 1 Bears leading 4-1

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-08-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old
10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

That's the way to start the season.

Old
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Bourque adds a PPG.

Old
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
atta boy Bork!

Old
10-08-2008, 06:47 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Pinizzotto droppin' the mits.

Old
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Egads, man.

Old
10-08-2008, 06:52 PM
bottleCAPS

Bork 2 pts now!

Old
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
txpd

Bears are killing them. Bourque rolls on

Old
10-08-2008, 07:05 PM
sk84fun_dc

Walton interviewing Yingst

leadership - 6 guys on the team that have worn the C before

Affiliation agreement - Get a lot of calls from others about how the agreement is set up, how they work with each other, etc. McPhee and Yingst (plus Boudreau)...synergy

scratches - will make some decisions on the weekend; they scratched some players that belong in the AHL (I agree; of course, one hopes they stay healthy, but there is depth on this team)

Old
10-08-2008, 07:12 PM
sk84fun_dc

Period 2: Bears leading 4-1, Pens make a goalie switch, Berkhoel now in goal

link to game summary

now 4-2, Stone with another PPG standing on the doorstep in front of Machesney
Bourque takes a shift with Mink and Aucoin; Osala slots into Bourque's slot; Giroux not on the bench (now he's back)
Machesney makes a big save after Sloan turns over the puck
Mink with a PPG on a pass from Giroux, after the 4x4 expired
end of 2, Bears lead 5-2

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-08-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
bottleCAPS

Fehr misses Stone.

Closed Thread