HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'm going with Kevin Hatcher-esque.
drool.

Old
05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
LetsGoBears

I was kinda iffy about Carlson jumping in, but damn the kid is good! The thing that shocked and impressed me the most is how he seems to have really good vision of the ice. There was a couple passes and plays that the normal Bears wouldn't see/pull off.

First off I would like to say the Ref stole Nuevy's shut out. That wasn't a goal. It was a pretty hard shot that hit the top bar. With the speed of the shot if it did hit the upper net the water bottle would have been bouncing around and it didn't budge. Just add that to the fact that in the slo-mo replay it was dead on hit to the cross bar.

This team got really scary at the perfect time. We finally have freakin amazing goal tending. Add that w/ getting Ammo back and the D is playing stellar. They held the Pens to 10 shots for about a 30 minute period of time. Of course with that kind of back up on the Blue Line this lethal offense is kicking into gear and able to play like they did in the first part of the season. Woods is mixing up the lines very nicely and unless they run into a team that can match up for at least the first 3 lines, they're going to get smoked. Hell, depending on who is on for the fourth line you can't sleep on them either.

Old
05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

It was a goal. Clear as day on the in house replay that I was watching.

Now the call that lead to the PP...that was what should be in question.

Old
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Old
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
It was a goal. Clear as day on the in house replay that I was watching.

Now the call that lead to the PP...that was what should be in question.
I forget which crap call lead to it…so many of them. I wasn't sitting to far off from where the goal judge sits, and the actual play looked like it hit bar. The replay confirmed it pretty well imo.

Old
05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
thanks Eminger!

Old
05-04-2009, 12:31 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
thanks Eminger!
+100000000. Also, Philly needs to be acknowledged for so graciously assisting the Caps in their quest for world domination. Without them, all this wouldn't be possible.

Really nice to see the Bears playing at such a high level as well. Neuvy is really starting to make a name for himself up in Chocolate town it seems. Hopefully he and the rest of the club can keep it going!

Old
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
DefenseDotCom

Hershey D Stuff

About the Hershey defense this weekend:

Alzner -- in Saturday's game, Alzner played most right side D with Tyler Sloan as his left side partner. I dive into the tedium of this left-side right-side D info so much because the Caps already have so many right handed PP cannons (Green, AO, Semin) whose shots are most effective from the left side of the PP. Thus having a left-shooting Dman on the right PP point has huge advantages (e.g., for one-timed shots and passes). On a late game PP Saturday night, Woody had Alzner on the right point and the right-shooting Carlson on the left point. PPs with four or five forwards can be very high risk/reward deals. Having two super Dmen on a PP is a very attractive option to pursue in the future.

Carlson -- this right-side/shooter was paired with Arsene on his left Saturday, Amadio on Sunday. On the webcasts I saw only two Carlson puck-decision errors in two games, compared to dozens of very smart, gutsy, well executed decisions. Quick, snappy outlets. Very impressive. Carlson is far more physical than Alzner. Instantly active in the scrums. One of the goonish WB/S players will likely bait or force him into a fight soon, much as they targeted Osala. I still cannot believe that Carlson abandoned the blue line to charge the net for that tap in. That had to be one of those pants-wetting, hyperventilating moments when Woody was going..."no, no, NOOOOOOOOO.........YAY! (phew)."

Kronwall -- lefty Kronwall, fully visored, played left side D in his surprise, early on Saturday, then back to the right side Sunday with Alzner and Sloan out with the flu. With his size, skating, offensive talents and periodic highlights-reel physicality, the future of Sami and Collins in the organ-eye-zation may have dimmed further. I say that as a huge fan of Lepisto and someone grateful for what Collins did this year for the Caps this season. I think both these guys can play in the NHL for someone, but I think they have been pushed down by a Hershey Dman group including Kronwall, Alzner, Carlson, Finley and maybe Godfrey if he recovers from injury.

Old
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseDotCom View Post
About the Hershey defense this weekend:

Alzner -- in Saturday's game, Alzner played most right side D with Tyler Sloan as his left side partner. I dive into the tedium of this left-side right-side D info so much because the Caps already have so many right handed PP cannons (Green, AO, Semin) whose shots are most effective from the left side of the PP. Thus having a left-shooting Dman on the right PP point has huge advantages (e.g., for one-timed shots and passes). On a late game PP Saturday night, Woody had Alzner on the right point and the right-shooting Carlson on the left point. PPs with four or five forwards can be very high risk/reward deals. Having two super Dmen on a PP is a very attractive option to pursue in the future.

Carlson -- this right-side/shooter was paired with Arsene on his left Saturday, Amadio on Sunday. On the webcasts I saw only two Carlson puck-decision errors in two games, compared to dozens of very smart, gutsy, well executed decisions. Quick, snappy outlets. Very impressive. Carlson is far more physical than Alzner. Instantly active in the scrums. One of the goonish WB/S players will likely bait or force him into a fight soon, much as they targeted Osala. I still cannot believe that Carlson abandoned the blue line to charge the net for that tap in. That had to be one of those pants-wetting, hyperventilating moments when Woody was going..."no, no, NOOOOOOOOO.........YAY! (phew)."

Kronwall -- lefty Kronwall, fully visored, played left side D in his surprise, early on Saturday, then back to the right side Sunday with Alzner and Sloan out with the flu. With his size, skating, offensive talents and periodic highlights-reel physicality, the future of Sami and Collins in the organ-eye-zation may have dimmed further. I say that as a huge fan of Lepisto and someone grateful for what Collins did this year for the Caps this season. I think both these guys can play in the NHL for someone, but I think they have been pushed down by a Hershey Dman group including Kronwall, Alzner, Carlson, Finley and maybe Godfrey if he recovers from injury.
As always, appreciate the observations from DDC!

About Collins, it is worth noting, although not announced anywhere, that his contract has been extended. I was a bit surprised that P. McNeill played over Collins last night, but not shocked given Carlson was in the line-up. Godfrey is a question mark in terms of his lost development this season and the issues with his defensive game and decision-making compared to some of the other dmen in the system. Still a prospect, but next year is going to be a big year after this injury riddled rookie season.

Lepisto, Interesting to note that there was some speculation in a Swedish or Finnish paper that a Swedish team was targeting Sami as a possible blueliner for them next season. Curious to see what happens with Sami this summer as an RFA given the Caps depth and the way he has fallen on the depth chart. I was hoping to see him have a strong playoff performance, stinks about the spleen injury.

Kronwall, since he has settled in Hershey, he has been consistently playing well for the Bears and with Lepisto's injury has stepped up his play even more with added minutes. RFA this summer.

Old
05-04-2009, 11:40 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Thanks both. I'm glad Collins was extended. He needs to work on positioning and defensive zone coverage. But his shot is quality. His puck movement is effective. And he's very quick to the puck in the corners. He has physical ability. Just needs time to mature as he's come so far so fast.

Old
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Speaking of Patty McNeill....I thought he looked good yesterday.

Old
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Devil Dancer

Thanks everyone for the updates. Is it too early to get a Carlson jersey?

Old
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Thanks everyone for the updates. Is it too early to get a Carlson jersey?
Well...considering you don't know what number he's going to wear at the pro level (I really hope 74 isn't his choice)...I'd say yes.

Now if you want a CARLSON #4 Bears jersey...I think you're safe.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Speaking of Patty McNeill....I thought he looked good yesterday.
Good to hear. His games have been limited this season due to the depth on the blueline and injury, but in the games I have seen him play, he has played well (and his stats back that up). He's also still young, just turned 22yo in March, and has another year left after this season on his ELC.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Well...considering you don't know what number he's going to wear at the pro level (I really hope 74 isn't his choice)...I'd say yes.

Now if you want a CARLSON #4 Bears jersey...I think you're safe.
safe except in the context that Bears jersey numbers change, too; it's possible if he played next season with the Bears he could wear a number other than 4

I assume 74 from camp is the same as all the higher numbers, i.e., randomly assigned.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Maybe he chooses 44... which the irony would be awesome.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
sk84fun_dc

ha

IIRC, he wore #6 with the Indiana Ice and #11 with the London Knights

Old
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Maybe he chooses 44... which the irony would be awesome.
more vomit.

14 wouldn't be a bad option. I imagine Erskine might give it to the kid if he asked nicely.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
I'm going with Kevin Hatcher-esque.
I agree

Old
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

What number did he wear in London? 11?

Crap. Nix that one.

Kronwall wore 44 during his brief stint...so I guess that could be a possible fit at some point. 34 would be a good one as well (currently assigned to Pokulok...so it should be available soon enough), 54 maybe?

I'm a stickler when it comes to numbers.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
ha

IIRC, he wore #6 with the Indiana Ice and #11 with the London Knights
yup, this is correct; and I just looked it up, he wore #6 with the NJ Rockets in 06-07 link

Old
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

11 isn't a bad option.

Are holding that one out to retire for Halpern?

Old
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
11 isn't a bad option.

Um....Gartner.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
11 isn't a bad option.

ummm, try again

(edit: lol, posting at the same time)

Old
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Um....Gartner.
wow i'm out of it.

yeah. I was even there at the game.