HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2008-2009 Hershey Bears (AHL)/South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL) Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
At this time, Sean Collins wears #6 for Hershey. Collins wore #5 at Ohio State, but that's Sloan's number in Hershey.

Old
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
I know more Caps then one have worn number 6, but I can only think of Cally Jo, so if Carlson wears that sweater, it could be a sign of good things to come.

Quick search, and I found this page, pretty neat.

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?se...LPage&id=16420

Old
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Foy

That page was always part of the team's yearbook back when they actually had a yearbook.

Old
05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
DefenseDotCom

Bestial flu -- from Bears to Baby Pens to big Pens

Two minutes to Woody for his beastly influenza stretch.

Kudos to Hershey for losing their best Dman pair and bearly missing a beat Sunday.

Here's hoping that Hershey's callups chomp adult Penguins like baby ones.

Mmmmm.... Penguin.... whine like piggy, fly like wild turkey, taste like chicken. Yum.

Last edited by DefenseDotCom: 05-04-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: animal simile mutation
Old
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseDotCom View Post
Kudos to Hershey for losing their best Dman pair and bearly missing a beat Sunday.
Who the hell are you talking about?

Old
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Who the hell are you talking about?
I hope he's not talking about who I think he's talking about...

Old
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
DefenseDotCom

D Recalls

Quote:
I hope he's not talking about who I think he's talking about...
The night before their call-up, the Sloan-Alzner D pairing started the Bears opening Round 2 game against WB/S. Sloan-Alzner also started one playoff game against the Phantoms and were paired in others, shaped partly by the recent Lepisto and Kronwall injuries. All three vulnerable/injured Cap D are lefties, two of whom play either D side, as can both Sloan and Alzner. In one sense, it may be a blessing that only one current Bear D pair left instead of having two current D pairings disrupted. It is no surprise that Boudreau chose the two left-shooting/playing Bear Dmen who are the quickest, the most mobile, the most familiar with the Caps system and who had the most NHL testing this year.

More generally about the season -- the many Dman shuffles between the clubs occurred with relatively few jolts and crises, a tribute to the personnel depth and systems congruence between the Caps, Bears and Stingrays.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
sk84fun_dc

ECHL

Stingrays win the series 4-2; were up 3-1 late in regulation and then Florida ties it up with 19 seconds to go; 2 goals late in the third, so heads to OT; early in OT, Florida had all the pressure and shots, but then SC kept the puck in Florida’s zone for a few minutes and Tarkir scores the GWG, big shot wins the game; 4-3 win

About the game: Campbell with a huge goal late in the third on a rebound; Morin played after missing a few games with the wrist injury; Boutin held the Stingrays in this game as they were outshot by a huge margin (46-11 in regulation; 52-14 overall) and outplayed for stretches in the game; O’Brien with 3 points; plenty of players contributing ...Kashirsky, Tarkir, Campbell, O'Brien, Boutin...link to Stingrays stats

link to some coverage from Florida about Morin's return
link to Florida live blog

1. SC O'Brien, (4) (Campbell), 13:21
1. FLA Gajic, (4) (McJannet, Lang), 13:59
2. SC Kashirsky, (4) (O'Brien, Tarkir), 18:33 (PP)
3. SC Campbell, (1) (O'Brien, Romfo), 13:11
3. FLA O'Brien, (2) (Metcalf, Lee), 18:31
OT. SC Tarkir, (4) (Morin, Lacroix), 9:04

Stingrays face the Cincinnati Cyclones in the conference finals, but have home ice advantage in the upcoming series unlike last season when they faced the same opponent in the 07-08 conference finals; hopefully this year will end with a different result; of note, last season…Cincinnati, South Carolina, Las Vegas, and Utah in the conf. finals; this season conf. finals…Cincinnati, South Carolina, Alaska and 1 of Las Vegas/Stockton

a few other updates: Pokulok is back in the line-up playing the last 4 games of the series that ended tonight; Godfrey has been cleared but has not played

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Watched the game on B2.. it was nuts. The Rays had no business winning that game. They were completely outplayed all game but Boutin stood on his head and the Rays scored on pretty much every good scoring chance they had. What a year for the Caps organization so far.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Watched the game on B2.. it was nuts. The Rays had no business winning that game. They were completely outplayed all game but Boutin stood on his head and the Rays scored on pretty much every good scoring chance they had. What a year for the Caps organization so far.
I only listened to the game plus followed the updates; no question without Boutin this game would have been very different; good trade by Bednar to pick him up from Victoria when he lost Goepfert to Europe and Neuvirth to the AHL

And one can list a lot of players on the guys contributing, I just listed a few; e.g., Scherer has played like he doesn't want to be a healthy scratch again

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-05-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Definitely a great trade as they basically got him for a bag of pucks.. the Rays would be nowhere with the goalies they had after Neuvy and Goepfert. I was surprised to see him starting in the playoffs after Reimer played so well to end the regular season, but he has proved why he should start. Kashirsky has also really impressed me; I thought his signing was a Ben Boudreau type of signing, but he has proved he can play the pro game. I didn't think he had it in him as very few D-III guys turn out to be good pros. Not sure if he'll ever catch on with Hershey but I could see him reaching the AHL at some point.

You are right though, there's plenty of guys contributing. It's going to be hard to decide the lineup once everyone gets healthy. No one has really warranted getting booted out of the lineup lately. I definitely think Bednar should keep Dubuc in.. he's played like a completely different player since getting inserted back in. I don't know if you saw the goal in game 5 but it was just sick. Even Ovechkin would have been proud.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
gsx capsfan

Any highlights from game 3 of the Bears and WBS?

Old
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx capsfan View Post
Any highlights from game 3 of the Bears and WBS?
Being that it's not being played until tonight...no.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
gsx capsfan

Sorry misread a reprort, thought it said Bears lead series 3 - 0. But it read bears LOOK to take lead in series 3 - 0

Old
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
LetsGoBears

Any news on call ups for the Bears or Pens? There has been some speculations with recent injuries, and was wondering if someone had some inside news.

Old
05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
sk84fun_dc

Caps blog updates: Erskine still questionable; Alzner and Sloan in Pittsburgh; no forward recalls have been reported, sounds like Nylander (or maybe 7D, but they practiced with Nylander on the 4th line)

Pens blog updates: no indication that Alex G. was called up; sounds like Boucher plays if Letang can't; reports are Letang is a game time decision

John Curry may be hurt and did not practice, Berkhoel might get the start against the Bears tonight link

Penguins’ Wozniewski close to returning to lineup

Pens signed draft pick Casey Pierro-Zabotel (LW) to his ELC and he signed an ATO with WBS for the remainder of this season

more Bears news, article from Dan S link and an article about Carlson's debut link (I don't think this was posted here yet)

Old
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
sk84fun_dc

Walton posted a link to this on his blog: road roommates

lol, could have guessed the Gordon/Joudrey and Perreault/Bouchard pairings

Old
05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

G3: Bears vs (Baby) Pens...link to game summary

Curry, injury scratch; Berkhoel starting for the Pens (Walton confirms Wozniewski and Pesonen could be back for game 4, not tonight)

Bears lose 3-2 to the Pens in OT

1st: the goal was seconds into the the second PP; Mink with a deflection in front of the net from Giroux and Bourque; good PK with Bouchard in the box for a double minor (highsticking drew blood); Giroux/Aucoin with a big scoring chance SH and Neuvirth with some solid goaltending

2nd: WBS ties it up late in the second while the teams are skating 4 on 4, deflected off a Bear from the looks of it, perhaps Carlson (note: Leone thinks it went off Helmer); after the goal, Bears had a few opportunities

3rd: on a Bears PK, Beagle blocks a shot and looks to have hurt his left foot/ankle; then Amadio gets hurt on the same PK; Pens have a few chances can't capitalize and then take a penalty so Bears on the PP and Giroux scores pretty quickly, down low comes out to the right circle and shoots far side; Bears leading 2-1; assists to Aucoin and Kronwall; and then Helmer takes a penalty; nice PK from Gordon, both Beagle and Amadio are back out on the PK; once again, solid work from Joudrey in the faceoff circle and on the PK; Pinizzotto goes off with a left wrist injury 7 minutes into the third after a collision with Mormina, but returns a few minutes later; Osala to the box and late on the PP, Pens ties it up on a goal from Thomas; too bad as Beagle and Bourque had a SH breakaway and it looked like Beagle missed and then Kronwall was clearing the puck on the PK and it hit the scoreboard and the faceoff came back in the Pens zone; IIRC, that next shift is when Pens scored; Neuvirth with a big save and then Bouchard with a nice play in his own zone as Pens were pressuring; last minute both team have chances but headed to OT; Goal by Letestu, Neuvirth made a save, puck loose Letestu puts it in with Helmer, Letestu and P. McNeill all right there

game 4 Friday night at WBS; Bears lead series 2-1

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-06-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Wow, like father, like son.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Wow, like father, like son.
yup, except the baby Pens were the ones that tied it up late in the third on the PP...

and games 4 and 5 of both series are Friday and Saturday...

Old
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
LetsGoBears

Caps and Bears both missed out on golden shot today.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
sk84fun_dc

nice that Comcast just showed some Hershey highlights as they have done in past playoffs; no surprise, but the quality of the footage was horrible

Old
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
nice that Comcast just showed some Hershey highlights as they have done in past playoffs; no surprise, but the quality of the footage was horrible
Likely right off B2 (or whatever its called now).

Old
05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Likely right off B2 (or whatever its called now).
AHLlive, yup that is what I assumed, but I watched on the computer tonight vs seeing the highlights on the tv so it looked even worse than normal, lol

Back to my comment after stanleycaps, yes, the outcome was the same, but there was a difference between the play in the 2 games tonight. If the Bears had won, they would not have been stealing a game; however, they were outshot and Neuvirth played well again in net with both regulation goals going in off Bears and then the OT winner by Letestu on the scrum in front of the net.

Go Caps Go Bears Go Rays

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-06-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Caps and Bears both missed out on golden shot today.
. Momma said there'd be days like this.

Closed Thread