HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which of this summers UFA deals are mostly likely to blow up?

Old
08-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Saucechucker99

vCash: 500
Finger Redden and Naslund

Saucechucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
A lot of people mention Redden.

Given, I'm a Ranger fan... so I'm looking for the bright side, but consider this:

1) He was affected by the situation with his mother.

2) Ottawa tried to trade him several times, he was no longer a part of the plan in OTT and it was clear.

3) He has signed in NY for 6 years, a giant commitment.

4) He married his sweetheart over the summer, and will be moving to NY... basically starting all over again.

I, personally, think that Wade has the best chance for a rebirth over any player signed this year... think about it, his life is going to be completely different. It seems to me that his problems are more personal than health-related.

It's not like the guy forgot how to play defense, or lost all his skills at age 31. He may not be as speedy as he was at 25, but he will make a difference on the Rangers, guaranteed.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Bryce Salvador, Mike Commodore and Jeff Finger. This is 11 million dollars worth of defensmen.
This post wins.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

As a Caps fan, I'm definitely nervous about the Theodore contract.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Redden and Roszival.

Not that I think Roszival isn't going to be more or less worth his salary..

But the Rangers will have to sign Staal, Girardi, Zherdev, Dawes, Fritsche, Prucha and Dubinsky to new contracts (not to mention bringing in UFAs etc), all while they are committed to paying almost $32.8m to Redden, Roszival, Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist.

They're almost going to have to hope their young players don't develop into key contributors for them if they're going to have any hope of retaining them.

This just in: Fletcher Gives Leafs' Fans Finger
This just in? That joke has been unfunny since July 3rd.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar1987 View Post
This just in? That joke has been unfunny since July 3rd.
... In TO...

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Redden comes to mind, first and foremost.

Chitown will really regret overpaying for Campbell when it's time to extend the kiddies.

Streit was pretty bad, too.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Brunnstrom → Wow is he overrated.
Um he got a rookie deal. How is that in any way a UFA deal that is likely to "blow up." And he is overrated only by HF'ers and nobody else. I mean why shouldn't Dallas take a chance on a prospect with potential and never have to even give up so much as a 7th rounder.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Lsquared

Campbell, Finger, Huet, Ryder, and Redden are my top 5.

Commodore at 3.75 may be high, but he fits the Blue Jackets mold perfectly, so I don't think his deal will blow up.

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Redden(hated that we signed him), Streit, Finger, Commodore, Demitra, Hainsey, Ryder, Redden, and Huselias

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
vancityluongo

Hainsey, Streit, Redden, Campbell, Finger...

anyone see a pattern?

(cough; offensive defensemen)

Ryder and Huet were also awful.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
Redden comes to mind, first and foremost.

Chitown will really regret overpaying for Campbell when it's time to extend the kiddies.

Streit was pretty bad, too.
Not really since they are just over the cap now when bonuses count and when a new CBA is agreed they likely wont anymore. Also Chicago are dropping $16.75 million off the cap at the end of this year.

Also everyone talking about Huet being overpriced but look at the goalies that are likely to hit UFA (i.e. guys unlikely to be re-signed) and of his quality and i doubt you will see many that are going to be available for much less than Huet has signed for. Good quality starters with playoff experience are always going to be at a premium.

Last edited by Zim: 08-21-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Bryce Salvador, Mike Commodore and Jeff Finger. This is 11 million dollars worth of defensmen.
salvadors 2.9 is pretty high but for what dmen were going for its not as bad. still overpriced

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Redden(hated that we signed him), Streit, Finger, Commodore, Demitra, Hainsey, Ryder, Redden, and Huselias
man you must have really disliked the signing, hes on there twice

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
12 oz Papa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
notes:

Redden and Campbell are the worst IMO. When your own team offers you 3.5M (ottawa to redden), you know there's a big problem. Campbell is slightly better than redden offensively, worse defensively, and makes more. Take your pick.

Theodore could be a huge mistake for washington, but i can see the gamble paying off very well.

Huet will not be a problem. Splitting time with khabby will be good for him (the swiss dont seem to be stamina goalies from what i've seen) and he himself should prove to be worth that amount of money. Chicago's problem is having huet, khabby, campbell, and havlat all on the same team.

for the opposite, my pick is Kurt Sauer. 1 year from now, people will be going: "How the hell did phoenix get him for 1.75M????"
Really? Kurt Sauer? The guy hasn't done much since entering the league...

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I can effectively say that I don't have to worry about it because my team didn't overpay for anyone.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
0123456789*

This ones easy for me.
Rolston
Over priced.
4 years till the age of 39
over 35 means NJ will eat the contract no matter what happens to him in the next 4 years.

He is a good player but not worth 5 mill anymore, I would be surprised if he gets 50 points next year and I expect him to get progressively worse over the other 3 years.

Rolston by a long shot for me.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Streit's going to need a set-up man and half the year playing forward again to even come close to 60 points, but I don't think he'll be an albatross. His defensive deficiencies are wayyy overstated and he's a very likeable player. He'll be one of those guys that'll be overpaid, but not unmoveable because of it.

As much as I like him, I'd have to say Huet in Chicago. Paying that much money for a goalie who has never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs is a recipe for disaster.
Huet may not have passed the first round but his playoff stats are above average at least (GAA of 2.65 and a SV% of .918) and i think if he can keep that level of play up and has a decent team in front of his he will do well. I mean who knows what would have happened if Huet hadn't been traded to the Caps at the end of the season Montreal could have gone further in the playoffs.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Jeff Finger's contract would qualify, but it's not gigantic, and T.O. can handle it.

Brian Campbell comes to mind, as he's quite over-hyped. It should be said that he's exactly what Chicago needs on the back end, and he'll have a lot of creative offensive players to mesh with.

Commodore @ 3.75 is outrageous.

Ryder's 4 mil should be mentioned too.

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I don't think Fingers is as bad as it's being made out to be....I mean it was a stupid contract, but at least it wasn't a 5 year deal or something....Same with Ryder....short term contract, which makes it not as bad as it would be had he been given 5 years 20 million or something.

Redden is the one I think of simply because of the years. Sure he has a pretty high salary, but 6 years for him is too many. If he were given 4 the deal wouldn't look as bad.

Rolston is another...the deal takes him until he's 40 at a pretty good price. He was very good last year, but how long can he last?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Stillman → There's not that much gas left in the tank.
Watching players play is crucial. He's got plenty left in the tank, as evidenced by 65 points last year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:53 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
A lot of people mention Redden.

Given, I'm a Ranger fan... so I'm looking for the bright side, but consider this:

1) He was affected by the situation with his mother.

2) Ottawa tried to trade him several times, he was no longer a part of the plan in OTT and it was clear.

3) He has signed in NY for 6 years, a giant commitment.

4) He married his sweetheart over the summer, and will be moving to NY... basically starting all over again.

I, personally, think that Wade has the best chance for a rebirth over any player signed this year... think about it, his life is going to be completely different. It seems to me that his problems are more personal than health-related.

It's not like the guy forgot how to play defense, or lost all his skills at age 31. He may not be as speedy as he was at 25, but he will make a difference on the Rangers, guaranteed.
He may only be 31, but he's play 800+ games, and has taken more of a beating on the forecheck than most defenseman I've ever seen. His body IS breaking down. You don't just get slow at age 30, his body is starting to feel the effects of taking so many hits.

To say he wasn't part of the plan is pretty rediculous. His awful play is what made that the case. If had kept playing well, he'd still be in Ottawa.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 08-21-2008 at 06:18 PM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Randall Graves*

Wade Redden. If he plays like he has the last two years, he will be run out of new york

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
rick_c08

As a sens fan, i am sad to see Redden leave. I think he will bounce back this year, he just needed a change of scenery.

rick_c08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Craigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I can effectively say that I don't have to worry about it because my team didn't overpay for anyone.
thats because we didn't PAY ANYONE including our RFA's (of course it will change)

Craigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
These 3 BY FAR!

Theodore, Campbel, and Streit

I can't wait to see the Rangers play against the defensive (chuckle) pairing of Streit and Sutton.....good gawd DP better be ready for the shoot out!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote