HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla for Malkin

Old
08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnolimit View Post
Imagine Malkin on the same team as crosby? That would be crazy. Theyd probably make the finals
Get out of here with that fantasy talk. Too much EA NHL man, get back to reality.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:04 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

vCash: 500
Most of the Flames fans in here are nuts. Malkin is already better than Iginla, thats without throwing in things like the huge age difference, and Malkin's long term contract.

I agree that Iginla is the Flames, but the GM would be stupid to pass up that trade.

Penguins wouldn't consider this anyways.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Personally, I detest Malkin, so I would rather have Kopitar thanks
If you would rather have obviously inferior players on your team thats your problem

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Iginla is 9 years older than Malkin. Crosby needs a younger wing for long term and less expensive, if Pittsburgh wants to sign Staal too AND some other guy too at next UFA summer.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 08-22-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Penguin View Post
Iginla is 9 years older than Malkin. Crosby needs a younger wing for long term and less expensive, if Pittsburgh wants to sign Staal too AND some other guy too at next UFA summer.
Iginla could keep up with Crosby, take a good chunk of heat off him, and drive the line very well. Crosby and Iginla would be a better pairing for the next 3-4 years than Crosby and Malkin. Iginla is the definition of a powerhouse in the current NHL. He nets big goals, often, and plays hard. Iginla is better than Malkin and will be until he slips to the other side of the sword and his game starts to deteriorate.

That being said the only way PItts would do this was if they wanted to string together a couple solid cup runs in the next 2-3 years. Picking up Iginla at the expense of Malkin would shorten the window, but strengthen the team in the short run. There's always a tradeoff when taking on a vet player...in this case Iginla COULD be the key to pushing you guys over the top now.

Nothing against Malkin. Seriously, he's a great player in his own right but I wouldn't say Malkin last year was better than Iginla and I doubt he will be this coming year or the one after, but as he gains experience Iginla gets older so he will be better in the future.

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Iginla could keep up with Crosby, take a good chunk of heat off him, and drive the line very well. Crosby and Iginla would be a better pairing for the next 3-4 years than Crosby and Malkin. Iginla is the definition of a powerhouse in the current NHL. He nets big goals, often, and plays hard. Iginla is better than Malkin and will be until he slips to the other side of the sword and his game starts to deteriorate.

That being said the only way PItts would do this was if they wanted to string together a couple solid cup runs in the next 2-3 years. Picking up Iginla at the expense of Malkin would shorten the window, but strengthen the team in the short run. There's always a tradeoff when taking on a vet player...in this case Iginla COULD be the key to pushing you guys over the top now.

Nothing against Malkin. Seriously, he's a great player in his own right but I wouldn't say Malkin last year was better than Iginla and I doubt he will be this coming year or the one after, but as he gains experience Iginla gets older so he will be better in the future.
Stats, hockey writers, and NHL players disagree. Also keep in mind Malkin's age, that he's more than likely to improve, and Iginla's not.

I wouldn't deal Malkin for Iginla if they threw in Regehr for ***** and giggles.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
SomeDude

For a questionable Russian that has a "lack of drive," it seems like a lot of teams' fans want him.

I love how the number of trade proposals involving Malkin have gone up since he signed his extension. First, the Pens couldn't afford both Malkin and Crosby...now they'll trade Malkin because they want a winger for Crosby.

Give it up.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:56 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
For a questionable Russian that has a "lack of drive," it seems like a lot of teams' fans want him.

I love how the number of trade proposals involving Malkin have gone up since he signed his extension. First, the Pens couldn't afford both Malkin and Crosby...now they'll trade Malkin because they want a winger for Crosby.

Give it up.
Looks like you dont read threads...

I will say it again, I am a KINGS fan, I hate Malkin, and I'm happy with Kopitar

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Looks like you dont read threads...

I will say it again, I am a KINGS fan, I hate Malkin, and I'm happy with Kopitar
I was talking about other people in this thread, but you're not helping matters making proposals like this that manage to make both teams' fans mad.

Old
08-23-2008, 12:00 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
I was talking about other people in this thread, but you're not helping matters making proposals like this that manage to make both teams' fans mad.
Doesnt it mean that its a good proposal than?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:01 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
Doesnt it mean that its a good proposal than?
It's better then Pronger for Malkin...I'll give you that.

Then again, that's not saying much.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
what other people in this thread? not one Flames fan would even consider this proposal

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Most of the Flames fans in here are nuts. Malkin is already better than Iginla, thats without throwing in things like the huge age difference, and Malkin's long term contract.

I agree that Iginla is the Flames, but the GM would be stupid to pass up that trade.

It just can't happen. This would be like Detroit trading Yzerman or Colorado trading Sakic. Malkin is great and all, but this just wouldn't fly with the 1 million+ people in Calgary. Sutter would be stupid to do this deal, Iginla just means too much to this city. HOWEVER, If Iginla has not won a cup and he's in the last few years of his career, I would be all for trading Iginla to a cup contender just because this guy deserves to win the cup.

Also, Iginla has a NTC.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:54 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post

Malkin is already better than Iginla?... Iginla is a better goal scorer... better leader... more physical... more passionate... and like Malkin, Iginla has a long term contract too... except for nearly $2 milion less...

oh and Iginla did that with all the other top Flame forwards taking a step back and having lesser seasons than last year

Old
08-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Hesus... Malkin is just 22 and is already a star player. Iginla broke barely 30 goals when he was 24 already. Malkin can still develope and gain some strenght too and be an even better player.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Penguin View Post
Hesus... Malkin is just 22 and is already a star player. Iginla broke barely 30 goals when he was 24 already. Malkin can still develope and gain some strenght too and be an even better player.
you cant compare what age they were when they broke out for several reasons... 1. being players develop at different ages... 2. some players just stop developing and peak really young... 3. with the age differences you are comparing the dead puck era to the 'new' NHL...

say what you will about Iginla but the man is only 31and believe it or not still developing... he is still getting better... maybe its not so much him still growing like prospects... but he is the kind of guy who is always developing his game, changing workout routines... his development is all mental at this point... but lets face it he has put up back to back career years at 30 and 31

Old
08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you cant compare what age they were when they broke out for several reasons... 1. being players develop at different ages... 2. some players just stop developing and peak really young... 3. with the age differences you are comparing the dead puck era to the 'new' NHL...
Every single Pittsburgh fan is going to take the safe bet that Malkin has the better chance to keep improving. Probably dramatically. The odds are much more likely that Malkin will get better and Iginla will start deteriorating in the coming years.

And dead puck era or not, Iginla's early totals are nowhere near Malkin's.

Quote:
say what you will about Iginla but the man is only 31and believe it or not still developing... he is still getting better... maybe its not so much him still growing like prospects... but he is the kind of guy who is always developing his game, changing workout routines... his development is all mental at this point... but lets face it he has put up back to back career years at 30 and 31
It may be his career year statistically, but there's little doubt that Iginla's best year was in '01-'02. You talked about the dead puck era in the first part of your post - you shouldn't forget it in the second part in order to help your argument.

Old
08-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
the only players in the history of the nhl to have performed like malkin has at his age are the likes of gretzky, lemieux, orr, crosby, ovechkin. iginla is simply not in that class.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
the only players in the history of the nhl to have performed like malkin has at his age are the likes of gretzky, lemieux, orr, crosby, ovechkin. iginla is simply not in that class.
There has been really no denial that Malkin will be better than Iginla in the coming years.

I still wouldn't want this trade done, seeing as I'd probably gather a lynch mob and get Sutter if he ever did. I'm sure it's the same from the Pens perspective, it's not so much that they can be traded, it's just that they can't be replaced. Where are you going to find a guy like Malkin who increases his numbers year after the next? Where else are you going to find a guy who can score 50 goals, hit, fight, and generally lead a team?

Both players are immense assets.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:03 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
It just can't happen. This would be like Detroit trading Yzerman or Colorado trading Sakic. Malkin is great and all, but this just wouldn't fly with the 1 million+ people in Calgary. Sutter would be stupid to do this deal, Iginla just means too much to this city. HOWEVER, If Iginla has not won a cup and he's in the last few years of his career, I would be all for trading Iginla to a cup contender just because this guy deserves to win the cup.

Also, Iginla has a NTC.
Colorado would trade Sakic in a second for Malkin. It would fly when the Flames win more with Malkin. I remember a certain Nieuwendyk trade that worked out for you guys.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:09 PM
guest1467

Honestly, if I were Pittsburgh I would do this. Iginla would give them a dominant force on the wing. Having Iginla and Crosby together would be understopable. As well, Iginla brings more intangibles ten fold over Malkin. This would make them the best team in the east and might just push them over the edge.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Malkin is already better than Iginla?... Iginla is a better goal scorer... better leader... more physical... more passionate... and like Malkin, Iginla has a long term contract too... except for nearly $2 milion less...

oh and Iginla did that with all the other top Flame forwards taking a step back and having lesser seasons than last year
Only Ovechkin had a better season last year. Malkin hasn't even hit his prime, while Iginla is on the wrong side of 30.

I'd take 1 year of Malkin next season over 1 year of Iginla next season, throwing in the age makes it an easy decision.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Honestly, if I were Pittsburgh I would do this. Iginla would give them a dominant force on the wing. Having Iginla and Crosby together would be understopable. As well, Iginla brings more intangibles ten fold over Malkin. This would make them the best team in the east and might just push them over the edge.
In a world where it could be guaranteed that Iginla would never age and deteriorate and Malkin would never improve on his 21 year old campaign, it might be workable.

But given that the world doesn't work like that, and Malkin was considered by most to be the better player last year anyway, it's a non-starter.

The Pens are already the best team in the East, and another year of experience for their stars will likely push them over the edge anyway. No need to start trading productive prodigies signed through a good portion of their prime for a 30+ superstar.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
The Pens are already the best team in the East, and another year of experience for their stars will likely push them over the edge anyway. No need to start trading productive prodigies signed through a good portion of their prime for a 30+ superstar.
Really though, when you've been to the Stanley Cup Finals, and 4 of your 5 best players are 20, 21, 22, and 23, there's really not a whole lot you have to do, other than not screw it up.

(The most scary part of that is the 5th player is 34, and his future replacement was drafted 5th overall and is only 25 years old himself).

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Really though, when you've been to the Stanley Cup Finals, and 4 of your 5 best players are 20, 21, 22, and 23, there's really not a whole lot you have to do, other than not screw it up.
True dat. Which is why virtually every Pens proposal on this board is moot. Not that that fact or any number of long-term extensions will stop them.

Quote:
(The most scary part of that is the 5th player is 34, and his future replacement was drafted 5th overall and is only 25 years old himself).
I always thought he was 21 and drafted 62nd overall.