HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Where do Habs fans study and in what?

Old
08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Bac es Arts Major in Psychology, Minor in Human Resources from the Univeriste de Moncton

I now work in HR for the government

Old
08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
My parents never could agree
about my type of school
my learnin' was all done at home
that's why I'm such a fool

it was the greatest mixup
that you have ever seen
that awful color problem
'tween the orange and the green.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Lots of people who didnt go to University manage to make more than a decent living. Actually, some are talented enough not to "need" University.

There's a catch though, if you wanna make it good without studying, well! you have to bust your *** working instead of butsing it studying...
I think he was referring to the student lifestyle...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Lots of people who didnt go to University manage to make more than a decent living. Actually, some are talented enough not to "need" University.

There's a catch though, if you wanna make it good without studying, well! you have to bust your *** working instead of butsing it studying...
i might be wrong on this but i think the what you quoted was in reference to the student life being more enjoyable then things after student life (since that quote was in relation to school sucking or whatever)

as for me.. im in india doing my bsc in pharmacy.. after that im headin back to north america somewhere, probably do my dpharm and ideally either a mba or health management

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I got my grade 12 diplomy and went back for some of grade 13, so basically, I have almost a degree from a cegep.

I also view colleges, universities and cegep in a negative light. Most people will finish and be working below me in business world while tens of thousands of dollars in debt, while I'll be in the positive.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:54 PM
mrCoffea*

Did 3 years of political science at Concordia, I'm starting my first year of law at UofM next monday hehehe

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I received a Common Law degree (LL.B) from the University of Ottawa last year and now I'm heading back for one last year for my Civil Law degree.

I also have a BA from McGill in Political Science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I'm in law at Université de Montréal. This is actually my 3rd degree (after City planning and Political science).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Did 3 years of political science at Concordia, I'm starting my first year of law at UofM next monday hehehe
We spread like a bad case of herpes..

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I got my grade 12 diplomy and went back for some of grade 13, so basically, I have almost a degree from a cegep.

I also view colleges, universities and cegep in a negative light. Most people will finish and be working below me in business world while tens of thousands of dollars in debt, while I'll be in the positive.
the difference is most of them will do twice your salary in their prime...

University degree, especially amster, is often necessary to get advancement

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My parents never could agree
about my type of school
my learnin' was all done at home
that's why I'm such a fool

it was the greatest mixup
that you have ever seen
that awful color problem
'tween the orange and the green.
Hey just a question: Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight, or does that only happen in you fall asleep in a pub with no beer?

also: I love in the song the way they pronounce "fool"... "fuul"

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

lol you're dreaming buddy. One of my jewish friend keeps telling me the reason they're so wealthy is simple: education. Something like 80% of jews in age of having a diploma have one. Do you think you could open up a consulting company, or your law cabinet, or a clinic with your grade 13 education? A lot of wealthy people don't have a university degree, but it sure helps.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
lol you're dreaming buddy. One of my jewish friend keeps telling me the reason they're so wealthy is simple: education. Something like 80% of jews in age of having a diploma have one. Do you think you could open up a consulting company, or your law cabinet, or a clinic with your grade 13 education? A lot of wealthy people don't have a university degree, but it sure helps.
Every russian I know here has at least a master.. still they deliver pizza. Education is a great thing, education + contacts is better.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
7th Player

Bachelors in Actuarial Science at the Université de Montréal

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Rocket Jr.

Quote:
That's for sure.

Quote:
You reap what you sow.

Life can be very good when your over the hump, but there comes a time when you realise that student life wasn't that bad when your biggest responsabilities where your studies, finding a date and beer was more important than food (still is, but now i can't admit it publicly ).

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:55 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jr. View Post
You'll probably wish you where still a student in 20 years
yeah probably. But I didn't make the right moves thus far with my program choices. I know what I want and everything, but the path I'm taking isn't really as good as I expected.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
the difference is most of them will do twice your salary in their prime...

University degree, especially amster, is often necessary to get advancement
depends on what each do for a living, I mean... Master in Arts, History or Philosophy for example... will not get you rich in any way...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Mmmm, i dont fit here, i have a DEP in car mechanics and i work as a janitor

I bow to you!
Ha, I have a DEC in human sciences and I'm doing the same thing this summer. Seriously, I'm paid $16 per hour to read a book on Stalingrad right now, so... yeah.

I'll probably be at UQAM this year, studying political sciences.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:16 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

he could...

start as a busboy, learn, become barman/waiter, save some $ and open-up his own bar...

work cleaning dishes, learn how to cook, save some $ after finding out he's a very good cook and becobe a restaurant owner...

find a job shoveling dust for a contractor, get his "cards", learn everything and be a wealthy contractor a few years down the road...

be a painter who decide to trade is canvas for a copy a Photoshop, start doing tutorials like crazy, become VERY good at it and be a "high priced digital artist"...

if anything, your Jewish friend didnt tell you the whole story, they don't just get a diploma... they bust their ass trying to become VERY good at what they're studying while getting a diploma...

Old
08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
slocheauska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Do you have a great portfolio and marks over 85%? If not, forget about it! If your english is good enough, try Concordia. They have a better program and they accept more students (60 instead of 30). You should definitively apply for both.

Anyway, if you want to work in the movie industrie your best bet is probably to go to a private school. Those nerds accepted in those college production programs are all made of the same academic ******** so it might bore you if you are a little bit more original than they are.
My portfolio sucks. I made 3 short movies. Two of them are fictions made while in cégep in an optional course (I did Human Science in cégep). The other one is a documentary made again in an optional course, but this time at university. And in all three movies, i took songs i dont own the rights...

And my marks... hum, my average is B+. I don't know if it's 85% or more lol.

And I don't think my English is good enough for Concordia. Just on this board, the vocabulary used sometimes is way too compliated for me .

It hurts.

You, JordanStaal#1Fan, what do you wanna do with these studies in cinema? Where it's gonna lead you? Just curious.

slocheauska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
he could...

start as a busboy, learn, become barman/waiter, save some $ and open-up his own bar...

work cleaning dishes, learn how to cook, save some $ after finding out he's a very good cook and becobe a restaurant owner...

find a job shoveling dust for a contractor, get his "cards", learn everything and be a wealthy contractor a few years down the road...

be a painter who decide to trade is canvas for a copy a Photoshop, start doing tutorials like crazy, become VERY good at it and be a "high priced digital artist"...

if anything, your Jewish friend didnt tell you the whole story, they don't just get a diploma... they bust their ass trying to become VERY good at what they're studying while getting a diploma...
It was just an example, more of an anectode. Your chances of moving up with a degree are better than starting with nothing working as a busboy or "manoeuvre" in construction (I consider getting a technical degree as an electrician or plumber as education). Education definitely helps, I'd like to see anyone say otherwise.

IMO, You'd need a lot more caracter having success without a quality education and hey I personally respect that a lot. I'm not the type who puts people down because of their education either, not at all, I think caracter and "savoir-etre" plays a bigger role than a piece of paper or book smarts. It's one of the reasons I admire Buffet, he puts people in high places based on their competence, not where they studied(one of his company presidents, a she, has no diploma at all). Some of the dumbest, most annoying people I've known are Ph.Ds., the worst boss I've ever had was a Ph.D. engineer, a complete moron of a person with no insight as to how to run things. Yet, that person is making over 100K.... It helps a lot that's all I'm saying.

Also, I really disagreed with what he said about being tens of thousands in debt. That really depends on the student, the way he manages his finances and the summer jobs he founds. I'm not from a rich family but I'm not 1 cent in debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Every russian I know here has at least a master.. still they deliver pizza. Education is a great thing, education + contacts is better.
That's very unimpressive of them.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

no need of a university degree to get wealthy... you can do a DEC in specific domains like electrical engineering, ordinated system and you can get a pretty decent salary because it's very hard and only a few guys in the whole state finish this program.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Templeton

There is people from UQAR but nobody from Laval U.? Come on guys where are you?

I'm at Laval in Civil engineering.

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
no need of a university degree to get wealthy... you can do a DEC in specific domains like electrical engineering, ordinated system and you can get a pretty decent salary because it's very hard and only a few guys in the whole state finish this program.
Is that program anything like engineering technologies? There was a DEC program like this at JAC.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
That's because of the very hard equivalence system of Quebec and this example is completely erronated in the current debate.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Engineers found!

Wait did I miss the parade???

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
It was just an example, more of an anectode. Your chances of moving up with a degree are better than starting with nothing working as a busboy or "manoeuvre" in construction (I consider getting a technical degree as an electrician or plumber as education). Education definitely helps, I'd like to see anyone say otherwise.

IMO, You'd need a lot more caracter having success without a quality education and hey I personally respect that a lot. I'm not the type who puts people down because of their education either, not at all, I think caracter and "savoir-etre" plays a bigger role than a piece of paper or book smarts. It's one of the reasons I admire Buffet, he puts people in high places based on their competence, not where they studied(one of his company presidents, a she, has no diploma at all). Some of the dumbest, most annoying people I've known are Ph.Ds., the worst boss I've ever had was a Ph.D. engineer, a complete moron of a person with no insight as to how to run things. Yet, that person is making over 100K.... It helps a lot that's all I'm saying.

Also, I really disagreed with what he said about being tens of thousands in debt. That really depends on the student, the way he manages his finances and the summer jobs he founds. I'm not from a rich family but I'm not 1 cent in debt.

That's very unimpressive of them.
That was basically my point all along... sure studying is great and all, but it remains a tool, there's even some fields where it's a necessity... I mean, I wouldnt want to go to a "self taught" doctor you know

I just find it odd to see people (they're unfortunately the majority in the world) thinking they're somehow smarter cause they studied whatever... sorry pal but if you were a clown before, you'll only be a clown with a diploma...

Oh! it will help you find a better job sure, but it won't make you smarter or anything...

I personally have no diploma whatsoever... and I've been living with my girlfriend for 10 years, a linguist, spent years studying, got a new job recently, hired even though she had a less diplomas than the other candidates... promoted twice in her first 4 months...

only a few weeks ago she saw I was right somehow... sure, getting a diploma's good, but still, she doesnt have the requirement on paper for the 2 promotions she got, only reason : she's ***ing good at what she does.

Again, having a diploma's OK, but that alone will not get you anywhere, can study law as much as you want for example but if you lose most of your cases the Stikeman's, Heenan or Gowlings of this world will never bother looking at you... you know