HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Where do Habs fans study and in what?

Old
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
No offense but this thread is about where people study mostly...
meaning most look like they're going somewhere, that's it. Lots will not get their diploma, change field, or just be "very average" at what they do...

Oh! and the "older people" like me (40/45+), we got jobs and built careers without having any diplomas (except for lawyers, doctors and a few others of course)...
Just meant to say no one's saying "I was studying at McGill but couldn't do it and maybe ill return in a semester or two for another go." Everyone seems to be in a 3rd year of something or on track. Not that it's a bad thing, the opposite, I'm glad people are doing well and have reached that part of their education because as you said not many people get their diploma, some bounce around early on and a lot of those who do have an education aren't necessarily university degrees.

Also, I suppose the second part was in reference to me saying do well in school. Yes, I admit school does not garuantee a good job, and just because you aren't in school, does not garuantee you won't get a good one either. My father didn't finish high school and got 75k a year(People make more obviously, just saying, good for no HS) if I remember correctly. So it's always possible, but if I go to his former company these days and apply for what he did, i'd be lucky to get a paycheck, let alone a phone call.

This may sound offensive but isn't, in the past, those who had the will, could find a way. Not saying it was easy or anything, just saying now to get 11$ an hour they may ask you for your HS diploma. Not saying there is no more opportunity, there always is, people even have more access to opportunity, but that opportunity is shared amongst many people these days so your odds aren't great. As much as it's possible for me to get the paycheck my dad did without high school, I wouldn't hold my breath and i'm better off going to school and improving my odds.

Reason I regret it is I know I can do better, I have my own story, but I'll just stick to the topic and leave it there.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Just meant to say no one's saying "I was studying at McGill but couldn't do it and maybe ill return in a semester or two for another go." Everyone seems to be in a 3rd year of something or on track. Not that it's a bad thing, the opposite, I'm glad people are doing well and have reached that part of their education because as you said not many people get their diploma, some bounce around early on and a lot of those who do have an education aren't necessarily university degrees.

Also, I suppose the second part was in reference to me saying do well in school. Yes, I admit school does not garuantee a good job, and just because you aren't in school, does not garuantee you won't get a good one either. My father didn't finish high school and got 75k a year(People make more obviously, just saying, good for no HS) if I remember correctly. So it's always possible, but if I go to his former company these days and apply for what he did, i'd be lucky to get a paycheck, let alone a phone call.

This may sound offensive but isn't, in the past, those who had the will, could find a way. Not saying it was easy or anything, just saying now to get 11$ an hour they may ask you for your HS diploma. Not saying there is no more opportunity, there always is, people even have more access to opportunity, but that opportunity is shared amongst many people these days so your odds aren't great. As much as it's possible for me to get the paycheck my dad did without high school, I wouldn't hold my breath and i'm better off going to school and improving my odds.

Reason I regret it is I know I can do better, I have my own story, but I'll just stick to the topic and leave it there.
Still the case today, not saying having a diploma doesnt help, IT DOES...

2001, took a bread from "opening beer bottles" and applied for a job in a BIG corp (won't name it doesnt matter, but let's just say its one of the biggest in the country)... out of 21 in training I was the only one with no experience and no diploma whatsoever... 2 years later was a coach (like the one who gave us training), another 2 years and a half, was manager for "special projects", later on that year I left, but that's another story...

and I'm not saying this to brag or anything, 3 of the other 5 managers -> NO diplomas...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
i did a dep in cooking and im currently a chef for a italian resto in st bruno

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Russeltown

Quote:

2001, took a bread from "opening beer bottles" and applied for a job in a BIG corp (won't name it doesnt matter, but let's just say its one of the biggest in the country)... out of 21 in training I was the only one with no experience and no diploma whatsoever... 2 years later was a coach (like the one who gave us training), another 2 years and a half, was manager for "special projects", later on that year I left, but that's another story...

and I'm not saying this to brag or anything, 3 of the other 5 managers -> NO diplomas...
A diploma helps to get hired, but it doesn't help to keep your job.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:17 PM
znk

Quote:

Experience and drive are key. But getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. Already hard enough with a diploma extremly difficult without.
when I didnt have experience I thought all these companies asking for 2-5 years experience were BS. But now that I have it I know what that's all about.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:35 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocheauska View Post
My portfolio sucks. I made 3 short movies. Two of them are fictions made while in cégep in an optional course (I did Human Science in cégep). The other one is a documentary made again in an optional course, but this time at university. And in all three movies, i took songs i dont own the rights...

And my marks... hum, my average is B+. I don't know if it's 85% or more lol.

And I don't think my English is good enough for Concordia. Just on this board, the vocabulary used sometimes is way too compliated for me .

It hurts.

You, JordanStaal#1Fan, what do you wanna do with these studies in cinema? Where it's gonna lead you? Just curious.
My ultimate goal is, of course, to become a director. I know it won't be easy and that it probably won't happen. But, essentialy I just want to work in the field. I took Film Studies to get a better knowledge of cinema as a art form, then I'll go to a private school to lear the technical part. Of course, as far as degrees are concerned it would be better for me to get the Film Production one, but eh my marks were too low. My portfolio isn't that bad but it sucks compared to some of those movie nerds' when technically compared. Those guys have fency cams, expensive editing software and have basically no life outside of movie making. But don't worry, they won't do any money as directors or if they do it will be by doing crappy academic movies without any real meaning and full of cliches because they have no life experience and don't know how to tell a story. They are first today but they won't be in a couple of years. Enjoy life, have fun, get tons of life experience then you'll be able to be a good film maker.

The only advice I'd give you is to not give up your dreams. There are tons of way to get in the industry. College is basically the "academic" way but always keep in mind that most people working as movie makers don't have a degree in cinema.

B+ is a great average to enter those programs but if your portfolio is made of stuff with copyrighted stuff in it, you are doomed. As far as your english is concerned, don't be too worried, they are tons of international students with limited knowledge of english at Concordia. If you have drive and you want to succeed, all the help needed is offered. There are ESL classes that will help you adjust to going to college in english. Plus, don't forget that it is a big plus to be fluent in both language in that field, especially of you'd like to work outside of our home province. I am myself a francophone and I don't think I will have any problem with courses in English. Oh, and some courses are offered in french. There are at-least 2 in my curriculum.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
jsol

I did my Bac in social work at University of Saskatchewan.
I do it for a living here in Montreal.

I currently study painting from a private teacher
and hope to paint for the rest of my life.

jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Krautso

Krautso, P.Eng. (Civil) - McMaster University.

Nice to see some fellow gears on here.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
ekof232

I'll start my first year in biochemistry at the university of montreal,this autumn.

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:46 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
Is that program anything like engineering technologies? There was a DEC program like this at JAC.
yeah, in french it's "système ordiné"

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
We spread like a bad case of herpes..

maybe in our case it's like a GOOD case of herpes

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 08:32 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
I'll start my first year in biochemistry at the university of montreal,this autumn.
Good luck.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 08:34 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
First year of Saint Mary's University in Halifax.

I'm doing a double major in English and Psychology. I got a lot of ideas on what exactly I'd like to do with my degree, but I'm going to go first year with no real expectations and really find my passion for the future.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I got my grade 12 diplomy and went back for some of grade 13, so basically, I have almost a degree from a cegep.

I also view colleges, universities and cegep in a negative light. Most people will finish and be working below me in business world while tens of thousands of dollars in debt, while I'll be in the positive.
The ideal way to go about it (for most fields apart from law and medecine) is to work during university.

It's doable unless you're lazy.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:37 AM
The Price is Right

4 year of HS

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:53 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
The ideal way to go about it (for most fields apart from law and medecine) is to work during university.

It's doable unless you're lazy.
Or an alcoholic

Old
08-23-2008, 10:12 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Or an alcoholic
That's first year.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 10:36 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
That's first year.
First year....yeah...

Old
08-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
We spread like a bad case of herpes..

Herpes > Lawyers > Daniel Bigras

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
slocheauska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
My ultimate goal is, of course, to become a director. I know it won't be easy and that it probably won't happen. But, essentialy I just want to work in the field. I took Film Studies to get a better knowledge of cinema as a art form, then I'll go to a private school to lear the technical part. Of course, as far as degrees are concerned it would be better for me to get the Film Production one, but eh my marks were too low. My portfolio isn't that bad but it sucks compared to some of those movie nerds' when technically compared. Those guys have fency cams, expensive editing software and have basically no life outside of movie making. But don't worry, they won't do any money as directors or if they do it will be by doing crappy academic movies without any real meaning and full of cliches because they have no life experience and don't know how to tell a story. They are first today but they won't be in a couple of years. Enjoy life, have fun, get tons of life experience then you'll be able to be a good film maker.

The only advice I'd give you is to not give up your dreams. There are tons of way to get in the industry. College is basically the "academic" way but always keep in mind that most people working as movie makers don't have a degree in cinema.

B+ is a great average to enter those programs but if your portfolio is made of stuff with copyrighted stuff in it, you are doomed. As far as your english is concerned, don't be too worried, they are tons of international students with limited knowledge of english at Concordia. If you have drive and you want to succeed, all the help needed is offered. There are ESL classes that will help you adjust to going to college in english. Plus, don't forget that it is a big plus to be fluent in both language in that field, especially of you'd like to work outside of our home province. I am myself a francophone and I don't think I will have any problem with courses in English. Oh, and some courses are offered in french. There are at-least 2 in my curriculum.
Thanks for everything you just wrote. I really appreciate your generosity.
I guess I'll apply to everywhere i can next year since i have nothing to lose after all.

slocheauska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Peacock

I'm starting my third year in urban planning at concordia!

After university I'm going to pursue a career as an airplane pilot though, as it's been a lifelong dream of mine (a costly dream). I already have my glider pilot's license and I have urban planning, which I also love, to fall back on if anything falters.

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:54 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocheauska View Post
Thanks for everything you just wrote. I really appreciate your generosity.
I guess I'll apply to everywhere i can next year since i have nothing to lose after all.
My pleasure. I wish you good luck. The more artist there are the better the world is

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I have been studying 3 years on "CEGEP" in programming, and I now am taking a one-year break before the university. Without any experience in my bag, I was chosen right away above a couple of more experienced programmers.

It all depends on the company. Some will choose the more experienced guys, some other, like mine, is going to take a look at what you've done in the past (in this example, a project), and will take the guy who has the most potential.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Experience and drive are key. But getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. Already hard enough with a diploma extremly difficult without.
when I didnt have experience I thought all these companies asking for 2-5 years experience were BS. But now that I have it I know what that's all about.
I have over 2 years of experience in my feild, but I just recently got the drive.

I guess getting drive is a part of maturing. I'm in a situation where I can coast for the rest of my life, so getting the drive was difficult while I was immature.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:01 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I have been studying 3 years on "CEGEP" in programming, and I now am taking a one-year break before the university. Without any experience in my bag, I was chosen right away above a couple of more experienced programmers.

It all depends on the company. Some will choose the more experienced guys, some other, like mine, is going to take a look at what you've done in the past (in this example, a project), and will take the guy who has the most potential.
In some fields what you do in class can be considered "experience", can't pretend to have experience by reading text of laws but you sure can in your case cause even though you (probably) werent paid for it, you did program something...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote