HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - New Metallica

Old
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
OT - New Metallica

I downloaded the new jam ('The Day that Never Comes') this morning off of I-tunes. I've listened to it about 50 times already. When it first began, I was thinking to myself "not another mid-tempo ballad." But, then the second half of the tune kicked in and I was pleasantly surprised.

It has a song structure similiar to 'One' with the new Metallica sound (which is less refined than say the Black album). The guitar sound and the drums are so much better than St. Anger. In other words, it doesn't sound like Lars is beating on garbage cans.

Those who want to hear Master of Puppets, pt. II will probably be disappointed. Although with the multi-parts and different tempos and feels, it is more reminiscent of the older jams. The song is nearly 8 minutes long. The last 3 and a half minutes are instrumental. Kirk's solos sound more raw (think Kill'em All) - especially the second solo section. Overall, thumbs up! The more I listen to it - the more I really dig it.

I've been a fan since '86 at the ripe old age of 12. Much like Led Zep and Sabbath, they can do no wrong in my eyes. So, I am biased. I realize that Anger was off the beaten path. But, hey, it would of been much easier for them to continue writing the same stuff over and over again (like many of their contemporaries). I'm just looking forward to seeing them live in the new year!

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I like it. I've been listening to it all day. Better than anything they've put out in 15 years. I like the Loads, but this is heaps better.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
pelts35.com

It might grow on me, but my intial reaction was that it was just okay and nothing to write home about. That said I'm sure that YSP and MMR will shove it down everyone's throats so I will get the opportunity to change my opinion.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Im looking forward to it. The stuff i've heard on youtube seemed good. But i can only form my opinion when i hear the studio album. Ive been a Metallica fan since birth and they are what got me into playing music and listening to metal. If it wasnt for Metallica, I'd be going to school for something other than music, and my life would be very different probably.

Anyway, even though they are obviously very important to me, Im not so biased that i cant point out that St. Anger was dog ****, as was ReLoad. Load was okay, just not Metallica. One of those Albums you gotta take for what its worth. Yesterday when I drove back to school in Cleveland (from Philly), It was a Metallica marathon in the car. Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
rayearth

I was a huge fan up until The Black Album. I didn't really like their music after that. Ever since the whole Napster lawsuit I've absolutely despised them and will probably never listen to them again.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:42 PM
BringBackStevens

I dont really like it

It's not THAT bad, but the vocals and lyrics are horrible. This with 1984 Metallica vocals would be almost acceptable. It's still not that great though... Metallica is all about speed and shredding, not this nu metal-esque stuff. The song gets better as it goes on in that regard, though i'm still not thrilled with it

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
I was a huge fan up until The Black Album. I didn't really like their music after that. Ever since the whole Napster lawsuit I've absolutely despised them and will probably never listen to them again.
word

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 174
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Metallica sucks.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Metallica sucks.
Shut up Hippie

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 174
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Shut up Hippie

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I like it. Can't wait for the new album. The small "teasers" they have sound good too. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Although, The Unforgiven III has me worried. Trilogies....yuck.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Shut up Hippie
now now, the hippie has a point

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Orange and Black

To hate Metallica for the whole Napster thing is on par to people hating you for prosecuting someone that robs your home - stealing is stealing anyway you slice it. I'll be the first to admit that I have done my fair share of downloading, but if my livelyhood depended on sales I'd be right up there with them. Not that ANY of that has to do with the quality of their music. But, whatever.

In order, in my opinion the albums (EP or LP) go...
1. Master of Puppets - if you don't enjoy this album, you're probably still waiting for your testes to drop.
2. And justice for all... - By far, Lars' best performance.
3. Ride the Lightning - Huge strides ahead from Kill'em All. I go back and forth between this and Justice to which I like better.
4. The Black Album - The best produced album and thus the best sounding album. You can actually feel AND hear the kick drum and bass - what a novel idea.
5. Kill'em All - I still love it today. The beginnings of the third greatest band ever.
6. Garage Days Re-revisited - I love the fact that they pay homage to bands that they enjoyed and/or were influenced by.
7. Load - Not as well written as the Black Album, but it has its moments.
8. St. Anger - Once you get over the whole "...wah, it doesn't sound like Metallica" thing, it has its moments - fleeting as they may be.
9. Re-Load - there's a reason why these songs didn't make it onto Load.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Metallica sucks.
Metallica suck. Get it right :p

They're playing Leeds festival this week, and i ought to be there. Damn that Nazi boss of mine.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Garage Days - great
Kill 'Em All - great
Ride the Lightning - good
And Justice For All - good

Everything Else - Blows

I'd love to punch Lars in the throat - what a massive tool

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Garage Days - greatKill 'Em All - great
Ride the Lightning - good
And Justice For All - good

Everything Else - Blows

I'd love to punch Lars in the throat - what a massive tool
NO!!!!!!!!!

If I hear Metallica cover the Misfits again my ears will bleed (I do like Turn the Page though, thats bout it)

new song is not bad if the rest of the album is like that I'll be happy!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Just go to the 5 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4xpFMNc3VY

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
In all honesty I havent liked anything from Metallica since the Justice album,, so i will reserve judgement on it until I hear the entire cd.
the stuff they have come out with in the last 8-10 years has been average at best.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
In all honesty I havent liked anything from Metallica since the Justice album,, so i will reserve judgement on it until I hear the entire cd.
the stuff they have come out with in the last 8-10 years has been average at best.
Plus one

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:24 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
I was a huge fan up until The Black Album. I didn't really like their music after that.
This fits my stance on Metallica to a T. They helped me get through high school in the late 80's, and I loved them. But hearing the Black album was like getting kicked in the junk by Bob Rock himself. Damn that guy.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:23 AM
SaveHextall

Before I give my opinion on this thread, I'll say I loved everything up to the Black Album and Bob Rock can go ******* himself.

I like how the new song starts, sort of like a bluesy/classic rock riff and I also like the second half of the song. Definitely has an old school ...AJFA feel to the jamming. It shows maybe there is some promise to the new album. That and the interviews I've read from Rick Rubin.

But the thing that bothers me most of all is Hetfield's vocals. It could be the coolest song but I just cant get into it when he sings the way he does, Black album on. I hate when he tries to sing instead of the old school vocals from the first 4 albums.

Unless James ever gets back to that, Metallica can never be the same to me again.

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Raffl House

I actually like Kenny G. A LOT.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:10 AM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black View Post
To hate Metallica for the whole Napster thing is on par to people hating you for prosecuting someone that robs your home - stealing is stealing anyway you slice it. I'll be the first to admit that I have done my fair share of downloading, but if my livelyhood depended on sales I'd be right up there with them. Not that ANY of that has to do with the quality of their music. But, whatever.
Um, no. Apparently you've never had your personal space invaded, your sense of security shattered, and irreplaceable (either because they are one of a kind or because you have nowhere near the money of a Rock Star) items taken from you.

Downlading music is NOTHING like that at all. Besides their livelihood is far more dependant on tours and merchandise than record sales. Losing some record sales meant Lars had to buy generic Pamprin and we all saw what happens when a bitch goes off her regular meds. Sad to see she couldn't keep it together, but nothing to really feel sorry about. I feel worse for the struggling fans who are forced to pay rediculous prices for their formula-driven pop-metal drivel because Lars "needs" a new platinum butplug.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:58 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
Um, no. Apparently you've never had your personal space invaded, your sense of security shattered, and irreplaceable (either because they are one of a kind or because you have nowhere near the money of a Rock Star) items taken from you.

Downlading music is NOTHING like that at all. Besides their livelihood is far more dependant on tours and merchandise than record sales. Losing some record sales meant Lars had to buy generic Pamprin and we all saw what happens when a bitch goes off her regular meds. Sad to see she couldn't keep it together, but nothing to really feel sorry about. I feel worse for the struggling fans who are forced to pay rediculous prices for their formula-driven pop-metal drivel because Lars "needs" a new platinum butplug.
Yeah, I knew someone was going to bring the whole stealing argument into it. The fact is that they started out as these hard ass not doing it for the money guys and turned into the biggest ****ing sellout corporate ******** *******s and that's what did it for me. Unfortunately, I think most of you are too young to remember them in their heyday (84-88) and see what they become.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:56 AM
sickamore

Quote:
Yeah, I knew someone was going to bring the whole stealing argument into it. The fact is that they started out as these hard ass not doing it for the money guys and turned into the biggest ****ing sellout corporate ******** *******s and that's what did it for me. Unfortunately, I think most of you are too young to remember them in their heyday (84-88) and see what they become.
They died with Cliff and he was rolling in his grave when And Justice For All came out (Dear mommy, dear daddy wahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote