HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edm/atl

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
  #26
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Hell no.

The entire Oilers roster for Kovy would be a steal for Edmonton. Kovy certainly won't go there for that crap.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
  #27
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
just ignore him, he hates the oilers
it made me laugh...

but seriously the OP isn't far off for value... although i agree with those saying it wouldnt be wise for Edmonton to give up 2 centers

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
  #28
eklunds source
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Or Wait till he's UFa and just throw Money at him?
Because that worked so well in acquiring Nylander... erm Hossa... or was that Jagr?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
  #29
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Hell no.

The entire Oilers roster for Kovy would be a steal for Edmonton. Kovy certainly won't go there for that crap.
What an arrogant comment by an arrogant person. Your hate for Edmonton Oilers and Dany Heatley is ridiculous.

EDIT- I read your comment again and it looks even more funnier ow. "The Crap" is considered the Oilers team yet your team has Little and Christensen as your #1 and 2 centers.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
  #30
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Because that worked so well in acquiring Nylander... erm Hossa... or was that Jagr?
Hossa only signed a one year and said it was hard to turn down the offer. Nylander did his own thing and backed out on the contract...whatever good riddence lol. Jagr wanted multi year Edm offered only one year as they obviously plan on going after someone next summer.

But hey...when your name is Eklunds source you gotta expect you'll get a few things blurred along the way

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:42 PM
  #31
JoeHockey
 
JoeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
That changes absolutely nothing. Not every GM is as stupid as he was. If Kovy were put on the block he would get a huge return.
ATL has the genius for a GM that traded Coburn for Zhitnik, and has done zip with that franchise despite having had franchise type players for yrs.( Kovy/Hossa- Kovy/Heatly.) You have to be very stupid to be able to mess that up, so I wouldn't expect ATL to win any Kovy trade either.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:52 PM
  #32
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
ATL has the genius for a GM that traded Coburn for Zhitnik, and has done zip with that franchise despite having had franchise type players for yrs.( Kovy/Hossa- Kovy/Heatly.) You have to be very stupid to be able to mess that up, so I wouldn't expect ATL to win any Kovy trade either.
good point!

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
  #33
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,576
vCash: 50
ATL could definately get a better package than that from the another team.
I would hope that Lowe/Katz/Tambellini or whomever is in charge would not trade that many assets for a Kovalchuk type player. I don't think he would be a good fit with this team, and strikes me as a player that isn't all that interested in a Stanley Cup. IMO he will never lead any team to a SC

__________________
HF on the Oilers winning the McDraft 1. Denial 2. Anger 3. Bargaining 4. Depression 5. Acceptance
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
  #34
GoldenTicket
Registered User
 
GoldenTicket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In your bushes
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
ATL could definately get a better package than that from the another team.
I would hope that Lowe/Katz/Tambellini or whomever is in charge would not trade that many assets for a Kovalchuk type player. I don't think he would be a good fit with this team, and strikes me as a player that isn't all that interested in a Stanley Cup. IMO he will never lead any team to a SC
That comment is fairly unwarranted. I"m sure Kovy wants to win a Stanley Cup just as bad as everyone. Unfortunatly Atlanta doesn't have the dept to do it. Trading Kovy for dept is exactly what I think Atlanta needs to do. They are in no position to contend for the cup this year. Why bother paying Kovy all that money when they can rebuild with some dept players for cheaper.

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
  #35
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
That comment is fairly unwarranted. I"m sure Kovy wants to win a Stanley Cup just as bad as everyone. Unfortunatly Atlanta doesn't have the dept to do it. Trading Kovy for dept is exactly what I think Atlanta needs to do. They are in no position to contend for the cup this year. Why bother paying Kovy all that money when they can rebuild with some dept players for cheaper.
Because they're $17-18M below the cap for this year so far, and he's the big ticket item. His salary right now is not the issue. Even a kid would know that trading him now is profoundly dumb.

I'm assuming the plan is to play the younger kids, sprinkle in a few vets, and use a coach with a style more condusive to the players on the team. See if chemistry develops and the players are happy. He still has two years left on his current deal, and I know Atlanta wants to keep him for much longer. Unless they get absolutely overwhelmed with a trade offer, chances are very slim he is going anywhere.

A lot of people will say that is a mistake, and that Atlanta can get close to a king's ransom now. Because it is likely that if he is traded towards the end of his contract, the return will be less. That's a risk the team is willing to take, and I agree with it. It's not everyday you get a player like him, so you need to be willing to do whatever you can to keep him. If that means you end up losing him for less than what you could get now, so be it. Gotta do whatever you can to make him stay.

Don't have the slightest if Atlanta will be able to do that. And despite what others so boldly claim, they don't know either. On paper, the Thrashers don't look like much this year. But we all should know that doesn't mean much until they actually start playing. They have young talent and a new young coaching staff; that's very much a hit or miss proposition. Sounds like either a nice re-birth or falling flat on your backside. Can't actually tell until until they get into the regular season.

But if the youngsters start working out and the team is better in the next year plus, Atlanta will have a much greater chance of convincing him to stay. If they struggle, it wouldn't surprise me if they bring in a few more players to try and turn the tide. If Atlanta has another bad year, then I won't have much of a problem with people lobbying to trade for him. But for right now, it's too early.

cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
  #36
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?
 
RaabHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Because they're $17-18M below the cap for this year so far, and he's the big ticket item. His salary right now is not the issue. Even a kid would know that trading him now is profoundly dumb.

I'm assuming the plan is to play the younger kids, sprinkle in a few vets, and use a coach with a style more condusive to the players on the team. See if chemistry develops and the players are happy. He still has two years left on his current deal, and I know Atlanta wants to keep him for much longer. Unless they get absolutely overwhelmed with a trade offer, chances are very slim he is going anywhere.

A lot of people will say that is a mistake, and that Atlanta can get close to a king's ransom now. Because it is likely that if he is traded towards the end of his contract, the return will be less. That's a risk the team is willing to take, and I agree with it. It's not everyday you get a player like him, so you need to be willing to do whatever you can to keep him. If that means you end up losing him for less than what you could get now, so be it. Gotta do whatever you can to make him stay.

Don't have the slightest if Atlanta will be able to do that. And despite what others so boldly claim, they don't know either. On paper, the Thrashers don't look like much this year. But we all should know that doesn't mean much until they actually start playing. They have young talent and a new young coaching staff; that's very much a hit or miss proposition. Sounds like either a nice re-birth or falling flat on your backside. Can't actually tell until until they get into the regular season.

But if the youngsters start working out and the team is better in the next year plus, Atlanta will have a much greater chance of convincing him to stay. If they struggle, it wouldn't surprise me if they bring in a few more players to try and turn the tide. If Atlanta has another bad year, then I won't have much of a problem with people lobbying to trade for him. But for right now, it's too early.
They better be going after Sundin if they want a good year. They really need a center to play with Kovy.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
  #37
wahoyaho
Registered User
 
wahoyaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
/ = or?

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
  #38
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They better be going after Sundin if they want a good year. They really need a center to play with Kovy.
The coaching staff/new system/possible chemistry from the new system is a bigger factor than who they have on the team. No way of knowing how that will work out. If that doesn't work out, won't really matter if they have one more top player. Even though getting older, Sundin is still damn good; but even he won't help much if the new system doesn't work.

Besides, Sundin won't come here. He wants to go to a more high profile/top team. Atlanta doesn't really fit. Though one of the few teams that could take on his massive salary demands, it will likely take nothing less than a miracle to bring him to Atlanta. That boat was never even on the radar for Thrasher fans.

cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
  #39
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Oilers say no just because Kovalchuk leaves when his contract is done.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
  #40
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,576
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Oilers say no just because Kovalchuk leaves when his contract is done.
Any Russian born player is a threat to leave to KHL....

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
  #41
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 8,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Several things upon seeing this proposal

I think the value isnt bad (Edmonton still wins the deal), but a few players could be changed, namely:

it would be best not to trade BOTH Horcoff AND Cogliano, who are both centers

If Atlanta is going into the full rebuild, than I doubt that they want Horcoff, given his age, so you may want to look at trading Gagner

I will counter with
Gagner, Penner, Smid for Kovalchuk

But your proposal certainly isnt bad, just a minor critique
Atlanta still says no they can get more for Kovy but better than first one

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
  #42
GoldenTicket
Registered User
 
GoldenTicket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In your bushes
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownking View Post
Atlanta still says no they can get more for Kovy but better than first one
There is no way the Oilers trade Gagner,Penner and Smid for 2 years of Kovy either. Don't get me wrong, Kovy is one of the elite players in the league. But you don't trade two 70-80 point players and a young defensemen for a player that will leave in 2 years.

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.