Backlund vs Schremp

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2008, 01:29 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridStylez View Post
Haha don't even consider this guy's opinion anymore.
His posts about Schremp are hilarious. He comes across as a used car salesmen. I know he has a lemon, he knows he has a lemon, but by god.. he is trying to sell me a juicy orange.

Until Schremp can skate faster then the 9 month pregnant woman that he looks like while skating he won'f ever be a regulat NHL player. Bryan goes on about him QB'ing a powerplay, which he is too slow and lacks any defensive pressence to do so in the NHL. Then mentions his exceptional ons timer, which is about as fast as potatoe-gun Leopold's. Yhen the hilarious "ability to skate around defenders", which cracks me up because it's obvious he doesn't ses the HUGE differece in speed between the AHL and NHL.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 08-24-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 02:40 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Thank the lord for that.

Last thing anyone wants is some fan boy writer artifically pumping up prospects. Oiler fans have been spoon feed rosey, pie-in-the-sky prospect reports over the years, and sucked them down happily. I'd rather have reality presented, not an infomercial.
It is too bad though, really. If they are going to rate players, perhaps they should have some kind of committee that could reign in these goofy ratings and add a little balance. Or maybe for every overzealous rater, have things challenged by a real skeptic. I know the way it is now, does not do teams like the Flames any favors.

Old
08-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Soundwave

Backlund and Schremp are alright, but Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson are all way better. If Brule ever gets his confidence back in the AHL (he was rushed into the NHL) I think he will be better as well.

To Schremp's credit he has been working out very, very hard this summer on his skating and in the weight room and has been given the blessing of Chad/Ethan Moreau, so we'll see if he makes the squad. The guy does have some of the most incredible set of hands I've ever seen on a hockey player.

We'll find out pretty soon anyway whether he can cut it or not, so no need for tiring opinion farting. He will be in camp next to guys like Gagner (who he is playing alongside right now with in Europe) and Cogliano in a couple of weeks. If he can cut it, he can cut it, if not, then not. That simple.

Last edited by Soundwave: 08-24-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 04:24 AM
HybridStylez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Backlund and Schremp are alright, but Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson are all way better. If Brule ever gets his confidence back in the AHL (he was rushed into the NHL) I think he will be better as well.

To Schremp's credit he has been working out very, very hard this summer on his skating and in the weight room and has been given the blessing of Chad/Ethan Moreau, so we'll see if he makes the squad. The guy does have some of the most incredible set of hands I've ever seen on a hockey player.

We'll find out pretty soon anyway whether he can cut it or not, so no need for tiring opinion farting. He will be in camp next to guys like Gagner (who he is playing alongside right now with in Europe) and Cogliano in a couple of weeks. If he can cut it, he can cut it, if not, then not. That simple.
Pretty dumb to compare prospects who are older and have NHL experience to prospects who are younger and have no NHL experience. It's like saying Berglund and Kulemin are alright, but Crosby and Ovechkin are wayyy better... NO DUH! It's obvious you're another Oil fan who likes to speculate too soon for your guy's prospects and saying they are on top of the NHL world.... And I bet you have NEVER seen Backlund skate just like Bryanbryoil..

Old
08-24-2008, 04:34 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I think it speaks volumes when you see not one Oiler fan responding. It does emphasize the point of how Flames players are underrated and Oilers viceversa.
I love how you start a thread, let 2 hours and 21 minutes pass by and then conclude that you have defeated the entire fanbase of the Oilers since none of them have posted a reply on a forum they don't visit.

Mod-edit: deleted.

Quote:
It's Backlund by a mile. The similar rating just speaks to the Oiler prospects being overrated continually for years.
Paying attention to HF ratings AND making a big deal out of them is, well, a sign of nerdness. To be envious of HF ratings of prospects on other teams is, well, what they sent people to institutions for in the 1800's.

Honestly, how can you even bother looking at the ratings AND take them seriously enough to complain about it? Please respond cause I'm honestly fascinated by how your mind worked on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
lol@you bringing points for 2 completely different leagues.

of course backlund will have worse numbers seeing as how sel doesnt count second assists coupled with the fact schremp saw way more top6 time than backlund last year

backlund is, as of right now, a more complete player than schremp and most other people will also see it that way

1. Backlund doesn't play in the SEL. Never has and never will. He plays a cut below the SEL.
2. Every league in Sweden counts secondary assists. Always has and always will.

Now, knowing these two things, how does the fact that Backlund played at a much lower level than you thought and that even though secondary assists are counted he still only managed 4 of them all year long change your opinion of how his season went?

Quote:
Seen Schremp played last season with Falcons... does not really "stand out"... although he has decent playmaking skills... I'd rather take Backlund by FAR from seeing his skills at prospect camp. Call me a homer but I seen a lot of perspectives and posts that people would rather take Backlund than Schremp.
What part of Backlund's play stood out during the regular season last year? His defensive shortcomings? His lack of scoring against poor opposition? His sometimes questionable work ethic? His attempted mustache?

Oh wait he had a great rookie camp FTW!!

Could it be that having played against men all year long he might have been expected to dominate against boys? Particularly against boys from a weak prospect pool?

Quote:
9 months older. lol. try 2-3 years

when backlund was 18 he was playing on the third line of vasteras, had a great playoffs against men, put up some some decent numbers, and already has a well rounded game
I imagine he was talking about Patrik Berglund who outscored Backlund 45-13 for Västerås.

If you had seen Backlund play you would have seen his laziness on the backcheck. Well rounded game? If you consider someone who plays defense somewhere in between Huselius and Tanguay to have a well rounded game I'm with you on that one. He needs a LOT of work on the defensive side of his game before anyone can call him well rounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
The similar rating just speaks to the Oiler prospects being overrated continually for years.
I'm with you here. It's not like the Oilers have had any impressive rookie performances in recent memory is it? Overrated busts the lot of them and none of them will ever have an impact at the NHL level anywhere near what our underrated guys are capable of!! Somewhere Kris Chucko laughs at Sam Gagner's rookie numbers and HFRating.

Quote:
It is too bad though, really. If they are going to rate players, perhaps they should have some kind of committee that could reign in these goofy ratings and add a little balance. Or maybe for every overzealous rater, have things challenged by a real skeptic. I know the way it is now, does not do teams like the Flames any favors.
I'm sure Darryl Sutter and Jarome Iginla are crying in their sleep about how they continue to get screwed by the HFBoards ratings. Poor Flames. What did their franchise do to deserve this unjustice???? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if the Flames had just gotten slightly higher ratings on HFBoards we would have beaten the Sharks in the playoffs last year. Most people would agree with that I think.

I also enjoy how you advocate using a real skeptic, and then in another thread post how Backlund is ready for the NHL and should match what Backstrom did in his rookie year. That's being a hell of a skeptic saying Backlund will only get 70 points this season.

It's also being quite a skeptic to say that the reason he only played 3rd line in Västerås was a great scheme from the club to kill his stats so that he'd spend one more year playing for them.

I love how you get worked up over some guy on an Oilers forum rating Schremp 8.0D (whatever that means) and call them overly optimistic to the point where their homerism HURT the Calgary Flames, then you say Backlund right now is on par with where Zetterberg and Backstrom were during their rookie seasons.

Truly skeptic homerism on your part?

Also, paying attention to HF ratings AND making a big deal out of them is, well, a sign of nerdness. To be envious of HF ratings of prospects on other teams is, well, what they sent people to institutions for in the 1800's.

Honestly, how can you even bother looking at the ratings AND take them seriously enough to complain about it? Please respond cause I'm honestly fascinated by how your mind worked on this one.

As for the topic at hand, I would pick Backlund over Schremp too.

That said, if Schremp was property of the Flames all you Schremp bashers would be signing his praise. He's an exciting player to watch. And we're excited about Daniel Ryder who hasn't even played hockey in a year. So come on.

Last edited by Snoil11: 08-24-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
08-24-2008, 04:41 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
And I bet you have NEVER seen Backlund skate just like Bryanbryoil..
How many times have you seen Backlund play for Västerås?

Old
08-24-2008, 04:54 AM
HybridStylez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
I love how you start a thread, let 2 hours and 21 minutes pass by and then conclude that you have defeated the entire fanbase of the Oilers since none of them have posted a reply on a forum they don't visit.

Paying attention to HF ratings AND making a big deal out of them is, well, a sign of nerdness. To be envious of HF ratings of prospects on other teams is, well, what they sent people to institutions for in the 1800's.

Mod/edit: deleted.

1. Backlund doesn't play in the SEL. Never has and never will. He plays a cut below the SEL.

Now, knowing these two things, how does the fact that Backlund played at a much lower level than you thought and that even though secondary assists are counted he still only managed 4 of them all year long change your opinion of how his season went?

What part of Backlund's play stood out during the regular season last year? His defensive shortcomings? His lack of scoring against poor opposition? His sometimes questionable work ethic? His attempted mustache?

Could it be that having played against men all year long he might have been expected to dominate against boys? Particularly against boys from a weak prospect pool?

I imagine he was talking about Patrik Berglund who outscored Backlund 45-13 for Västerås.

If you had seen Backlund play you would have seen his laziness on the backcheck. Well rounded game? If you consider someone who plays defense somewhere in between Huselius and Tanguay to have a well rounded game I'm with you on that one. He needs a LOT of work on the defensive side of his game before anyone can call him well rounded.

I'm with you here. It's not like the Oilers have had any impressive rookie performances in recent memory is it? Overrated busts the lot of them and none of them will ever have an impact at the NHL level anywhere near what our underrated guys are capable of!! Somewhere Kris Chucko laughs at Sam Gagner's rookie numbers and HFRating.

I'm sure Darryl Sutter and Jarome Iginla are crying in their sleep about how they continue to get screwed by the HFBoards ratings. Poor Flames. What did their franchise do to deserve this unjustice???? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if the Flames had just gotten slightly higher ratings on HFBoards we would have beaten the Sharks in the playoffs last year. Most people would agree with that I think.

I also enjoy how you advocate using a real skeptic, and then in another thread post how Backlund is ready for the NHL and should match what Backstrom did in his rookie year. That's being a hell of a skeptic saying Backlund will only get 70 points this season.

It's also being quite a skeptic to say that the reason he only played 3rd line in Västerås was a great scheme from the club to kill his stats so that he'd spend one more year playing for them.

I love how you get worked up over some guy on an Oilers forum rating Schremp 8.0D (whatever that means) and call them overly optimistic to the point where their homerism HURT the Calgary Flames, then you say Backlund right now is on par with where Zetterberg and Backstrom were during their rookie seasons.

Truly skeptic homerism on your part?

Also, paying attention to HF ratings AND making a big deal out of them is, well, a sign of nerdness. To be envious of HF ratings of prospects on other teams is, well, what they sent people to institutions for in the 1800's.

That said, if Schremp was property of the Flames all you Schremp bashers would be signing his praise. He's an exciting player to watch. And we're excited about Daniel Ryder who hasn't even played hockey in a year. So come on.
Yes.. I understand what you are saying about only seeing Backlund at prospects camp but man... it was just flat out stunning what he did when I was there at the dome.. if you were there then you'd probably agree why I'm praising Backlund so much.

For Daniel Ryder... reasons I knew about this kid is that he walked away from hockey for a while then came back and is the brother of Daniel Ryder. I didn't really notice him till after the first two days of the camp but didn't really had anything good or bad to say about him.

For Schremp... I'm only judging him by other people's perspective (Not Oiler fans.. duh!) and my experience.

Last edited by Snoil11: 08-24-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: qep
Old
08-24-2008, 04:58 AM
HybridStylez*

Quote:
How many times have you seen Backlund play for Västerås?
Many times + My personal experience at the dome. In fact there is a site called Youtube.com you should check out once in a while if you get bored? I should also post my "location flag" as a Swedish Flag since people would take my opinion more serious cause "it loOks teh pRo!"

Old
08-24-2008, 05:16 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Many times + My personal experience at the dome. In fact there is a site called Youtube.com you should check out once in a while if you get bored? I should also post my "location flag" as a Swedish Flag since people would take my opinion more serious cause "it loOks teh pRo!"
Pretty defensive for being such a gangbanger aren't you?

Västerås played at the Dome?

Youtube has full games?

I learn a lot from you. Could you url me to some of Västerås full games on youtube please?

Last edited by Snoil11: 08-24-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Discussing the poster
Old
08-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Pretty dumb to compare prospects who are older and have NHL experience to prospects who are younger and have no NHL experience. It's like saying Berglund and Kulemin are alright, but Crosby and Ovechkin are wayyy better... NO DUH! It's obvious you're another Oil fan who likes to speculate too soon for your guy's prospects and saying they are on top of the NHL world.... And I bet you have NEVER seen Backlund skate just like Bryanbryoil..
Actually Backlund is a few months older than Sam Gagner.

From an organization standpoint I don't give a crap if Schremp pans out or not. If he does great, the kid can do some unbelievable things with the puck and would be fun to watch in the NHL, if not, then so be it, we've hit pay dirt three times already with Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson. Who else do the Flames got in their prospect pool if Backlund doesn't turn out to be a first line superstar?

Schremp is hardly going to make or break the Oilers future on his own. He'd be a good player if he pans out and I think wisely the organization has been patient with him because he clearly needed to grow up. He had gotten way too used to coasting off pure skill and needed to learn what it means to be in the weight room day in-day out, to train hard, and it looks like he is getting that message.

Last edited by Soundwave: 08-24-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Thank the lord for that.

Last thing anyone wants is some fan boy writer artifically pumping up prospects. Oiler fans have been spoon feed rosey, pie-in-the-sky prospect reports over the years, and sucked them down happily. I'd rather have reality presented, not an infomercial.
Funny thing is that reality says more Oilers prospects have lived up to the hype than what the Flames have drafted yet you won't believe it. That's reality, but you- for whatever reason- will never see it.

Old
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:

Honestly, how can you even bother looking at the ratings AND take them seriously enough to complain about it? Please respond cause I'm honestly fascinated by how your mind worked on this one..
lol - making a big deal out of them, sign of nerdness, haha. Too cute GS.

I love how my talking about them is a sign of nerdness and requires institution, but apparently me talking about them.. on a message-board... about prospects.. fascinates you. lol. Tell me, does people eating lunch is a restaurant fascinate you as well?

It's observations over the years, it requires no real leap over-wise.

Quote:
haha. Perfect. Phew. Sam Gagner is a great prospect and a good player. The Oilers did well to get him. Flames have a 22 year old Norris trophy nom, Sutter's drafting must be perfect.

Everyone gets players, but for years the Oilers prospect base has been rated near the top. Previously it was because of guys like Rob Schremp and JD Delariaus. It has continued to be overrated, because no matter who they have, they inflate how good they will be. Simple observation.

But please, continue to be fascinated why someone talks about prospects, on a message board called hockey's future.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 08-24-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old
08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Funny thing is that reality says more Oilers prospects have lived up to the hype than what the Flames have drafted yet you won't believe it. That's reality, but you- for whatever reason- will never see it.
Really?

Sam Gagner is fantastic, Cogliano is good, who I've always liked, but go back and read old articles that have collected over the years.

Old
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
9 months older. lol. try 2-3 years

when backlund was 18 he was playing on the third line of vasteras, had a great playoffs against men, put up some some decent numbers, and already has a well rounded game

when schremp was 18 he was putting up good numbers playing against boys in chl and had a less than well rounded game

does schremp still have good potential? yes. is he working hard to rounding out his game? yes, however the point still remains when both players were at this stage of their careers backlund is/was the superior player. in the future that may change but we're talking about right now. schremp is talented but to say he is better than backlund especially when you've never even seen him play is ridiculous
Hockey DB is your friend the leading scorer on Backlunds team was 9 months older and had about 30 more points.

Quote:
Then why even open your mouth about him?

You obviously have no clue about Backlund, bringing up "points" to judge a prospect is hilarious. Just stop talking.
Just like Flames fans are talking down Schremp when most haven't seen him since he was in juniors???

Quote:
Haha don't even consider this guy's opinion anymore.
So how many times did you see Schremp play last year???

08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

Wow, he wasn't even in the SEL??? BTW-since it is rather obvious that you have no bias, what has you rating Backlund ahead of Schremp??? Thanks, Bryan

Old
08-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Bryanbryoil

Wasn't there a thread while back saying that Chucko >>> Schremp???

Seems to me that Boyd is the only guy that has lived up to his hype, and IMO Schremp still has a shot at being the better player. Boyd's AHL numbers last year were far from great after a very good AHL rookie season.

Old
08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
No one.
Sorry for getting back so late. So if nobody does the Flames prospects ratings how do you get them? Is it by committee from guys who cover other teams? Just curious because it seems obvious to me that that would pretty much explain the discrepancy.

Guy, who does the ratings for the Oilers, has pretty good contacts with the scouts etc but the guy he knows the best and quotes the most often is Prendergast who has a, shall we say, very optimistic view of every prospect in the system.

Old
08-24-2008, 05:05 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wasn't there a thread while back saying that Chucko >>> Schremp???
Chucko is a better prospect still, always has been. Schremp is a much better AHL player however, but both have huge holes in there games that might not ever get filled to take it to the next level.

Old
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Hockey DB is your friend the leading scorer on Backlunds team was 9 months older and had about 30 more points. ?
I love how you throw out the 9 months. The actual big difference is the year of development. The difference between 18 years old and 19 years old is huge, just like 19 and 20 etc etc.

Yeah Berglund had a much better season, but he was a year ahead in age and development.

Old
08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Wow, he wasn't even in the SEL??? BTW-since it is rather obvious that you have no bias, what has you rating Backlund ahead of Schremp??? Thanks, Bryan
Probably the same reason most people prefer one player over another. I just think at the end of the day he's going to be a better player. He was one of the guys I really hoped would end up drafted by Calgary in that year and at times he has shown glimpses of that great potential.

After years of this franchise lacking a pure offensive talent in the prospect pool, it was pretty satisfying that they finally went out and drafted one.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 08-24-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Probably the same reason most people prefer one player over another. I just think at the end of the day he's going to be a better player. He was one of the guys I really hoped would end up drafted by Calgary in that year and at times he has shown glimpses of that great potential.

After years of this franchise lacking a pure offensive talent in the prospect pool, it was pretty satisfying that they finally went out and drafted one.
Fair enough, that is a similar reason why I've liked Schremp so much. Outside of Hemsky, the Oilers had lacked a true offensive threat like Schremp was drafted to become. Since then we've added Gagner and Nilsson, so it's not as pressing of a need, but I'd like to follow the kid and see him become the type of player that I hoped that he would be.

Best of luck to you guys with the kid as it seems that you lack high skill in the system and will need those players to compliment your solid core.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:15 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'll say this much, Backlund is a definite lock to have a long, healthy NHL career than Rob Schremp is at this point. Why? Unlike most European prospects, he's solid in both ends of the zone, and less of a high-risk, high-reward kind of guy. That being said, Flames fans honestly got to stop pimping his offensive talent. Sure, he's got hands at prospects camp. But have you seen your other prospects? It's like saying Patrick Thoresen looks like a future-allstar because he looked like Zetterberg playing against J.F Jacques and Zack Stortini at prospect camp a couple years back.

Rob Schremp has a lot to improve upon if he's going to make the NHL. His defensive coverage and skating, as much as BBO says are ok, are borderline when it comes to the NHL. But with the highlights we're seeing from that tournament in Europe, Schremp has really put it into another gear. He's outshining Sam Gagner and Marc Pouliot playing against some strong teams. That being said, I'm not going to say anything bold like he'll make the team this year (with only one spot available) ahead of guys like Potulny and Brule who have NHL experience.

But I wouldn't put his overall career potential below Backlund's. Backlund will never be a 1st-line player in the NHL, hell he'll be hard-pressed to ever be a 2nd-line presence unless he can really kick his offensive game up a notch.

I hope you guys realize the kid isn't even playing in the SEL. He's in the Swedish 1st-division, and struggling to put up points. I know he looked good in the WJC (hell, he stuck out to me), but you got to remember that the Swedes were offensive dynamo's in that tournament, and everyone was putting up points, and he was a 19-year old kid playing against some of the poorer teams in the tournament.

To put things in perspective, Oilers late round pick in 2007 Linus Omark put up more points than Backlund playing in the SWEDISH ELITE LEAGUE at the same age, and Oiler fans aren't even pimping him like you are with Backlund.

Thanks to his skill, size, and 2-way awareness, Backlund is going to have an NHL career if he ever decides to come over. But the thing is, regardless of how flashy he looked at prospect camp, he's going to be hard-pressed to be anything more than a 2nd-liner. I'd say he's got a similar skill set to Patrick Thoresen when he came over at age 21, so maybe he'll be a slightly better version of Thoresen. But I don't see him being better than Robert Nilsson at any point in his career.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 08-24-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 06:24 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'll say this much, Backlund is a definite lock to have a long, healthy NHL career than Rob Schremp is at this point. Why? Unlike most European prospects, he's solid in both ends of the zone. That being said, Flames fans honestly got to stop pimping his offensive talent. Sure, he's got hands at prospects camp. But have you seen your other prospects? It's like saying Patrick Thoresen looks like a future-allstar because he looked better than J.F Jacques and Zack Stortini at prospect camp a couple years back.

Rob Schremp has a lot to improve upon if he's going to make the NHL. His defensive coverage and skating, as much as BBO says are ok, are borderline when it comes to the NHL. But with the highlights we're seeing from that tournament in Europe, Schremp has really put it into another gear. He's outshining Sam Gagner and Marc Pouliot playing against some strong teams. That being said, I'm not going to say anything bold like he'll make the team this year (with only one spot available) ahead of guys like Potulny and Brule who have NHL experience.

But I wouldn't put his overall career potential below Backlund's. Backlund will never be a 1st-line player in the NHL, hell he'll be hard-pressed to ever be a 2nd-line presence unless he can really kick his offensive game up a notch.

I hope you guys realize the kid isn't even playing in the SEL. He's in the Swedish 1st-division, and struggling to put up points. I know he looked good in the WJC (hell, he stuck out to me), but you got to remember that the Swedes were offensive dynamo's in that tournament, and everyone was putting up points.

To put things in perspective, Oilers late round pick in 2007 Linus Omark put up more points than Backlund playing in the SWEDISH ELITE LEAGUE, and Oiler fans aren't even pimping him like you are with Backlund.

Thanks to his skill, size, and 2-way awareness, Backlund is going to have an NHL career if he ever decides to come over. But the thing is, regardless of how flashy he looked at prospect camp, he's going to be hard-pressed to be anything more than a 2nd-liner. I'd say he's got a similar skill set to Robert Nilsson, but his output will be far, far less.

I keep on having to say the same thing in a different thread so I will paste it her from another response.

Backlund was playing a lot less time, and was given far fewer opportunities than Berglund. It may have been justifiable, but that is the way it was. Berglund had played on the team for years, he was very good (not as good as Backlund when he was a rookie at the WJC mind you) but he has experience, age, and size over Backlund. A comparable you may be able to grasp, would be Gagner being introduced as the first line center over Horcoff. Gagner has skill, he may become a better player than Horcoff, but he sure as hell wasn't going to be given an opportunity over a guy who has been established on the team. It would create a hell of a lot of resentment I am sure. That was part of the challenge Backlund had.

Another thing is, the longer Vasteras holds onto highly skilled players, the better the opportunity for them to be advanced into the upper league. Why should they showcase all of their talent this year and risk having them gobbled up by the NHL? If they focus hard on developing Backlund now and give him lots of opportunities to shine, it will cost the team their best prospects. It pays off to hold him down. I notice however, when they needed him in the playoffs, he was given more opportunities. And when he plays on teams such as the WJC, he shines. That has something to do with ice time and opportunity.

As for Berglund not making the Blues, I sure as hell wouldn't hold my breath on that one, but I bet they hope you are right in Vasteras.

Berglund for example, is a top prospect coming out of Sweden, even though he did not play in the Elite league. The team he is on, is trying to advance to the elite league. Some of the players on that team, are better than a lot of the guys in the Elite league. It is not black and white like you are suggesting.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:29 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Backlund is going to have an NHL career if he ever decides to come over.
You are like the 3rd oiler poster to say this in this thread. He wants to play in the NHL as soon as this year. Don't think the flames will have any trouble with him not wanting to come here.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
I keep on having to say the same thing in a different thread so I will paste it her from another response.

Backlund was playing a lot less time, and was given far fewer opportunities than Berglund. It may have been justifiable, but that is the way it was. Berglund had played on the team for years, he was very good (not as good as Backlund when he was a rookie at the WJC mind you) but he has experience, age, and size over Backlund. A comparable you may be able to grasp, would be Gagner being introduced as the first line center over Horcoff. Gagner has skill, he may become a better player than Horcoff, but he sure as hell wasn't going to be given an opportunity over a guy who has been established on the team. It would create a hell of a lot of resentment I am sure. That was part of the challenge Backlund had.

Another thing is, the longer Vasteras holds onto highly skilled players, the better the opportunity for them to be advanced into the upper league. Why should they showcase all of their talent this year and risk having them gobbled up by the NHL? If they focus hard on developing Backlund now and give him lots of opportunities to shine, it will cost the team their best prospects. It pays off to hold him down. I notice however, when they needed him in the playoffs, he was given more opportunities. And when he plays on teams such as the WJC, he shines. That has something to do with ice time and opportunity.

As for Berglund not making the Blues, I sure as hell wouldn't hold my breath on that one, but I bet they hope you are right in Vasteras.
Backlund wasn't "held back" in Vasteras because they were afraid of losing him, he was "held back" because he wasn't showing the same amount of talent as guys like Berglund had. No team would hold back if a kid showed that kind of talent. Hell, that's what got Gagner promoted to the 2nd line from the 4th as the season progressed. And the reason Gagner didn't make the 1st line was he wasn't as good as Horcoff, no doubt about it. Horcoff was at a point/game clip last year, and clearly our hottest player. There's no reason to put Gagner in there when Horcoff is killing it.

Please have the modesty to admit Berglund>>>Backlund as a prospect, because he honestly is a ridiculous talent. Backlund is going to get another opportunity to play SWE-1 hockey this year, and if he's ever going to amount to what you Flames fans have been saying he'll be, he's got to make the 1st line and put up numbers similar to Berglund's.

There definitely is a HUGE quality difference in the hockey played in the SEL and SWE-1 league (NHL to AHL), and it's ridiculous to say just from appearance that Backlund will be an amazing player if he can't put up the same amount of points in the SWE-1 that would get prospects minimal attention if they had put it up in the SEL.

I'll say this: his game is much more suited to North American hockey than it is to the European game. That's why I'd suggest the Flames bring him over to play some CHL or AHL hockey, just to see how it works for him. Even then, he's by no means a Robert Nilsson, and that's someone I'd say will probably be a 2nd line player for the rest of his career.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 08-24-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Closed Thread