HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gomez to Vancouver(e4)

Old
08-23-2008, 12:07 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
Gomez will be a Ranger for the remainder of his contract (e5)
well now its definitely NOT going to happen with an e5

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:09 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I wonder if it could be a three way with Carolina?

To Carolina
Bieksa

To Vancouver
Gomez

To New York
Vancouver's 1st 2009
Carolina's 1st 2009

Also, considering Gomez is a playmaking center, could this be a long-term strategy? UFA Gaborik anyone? THAT would be a lethal first line...Gaborik-Gomez-Demitra.
Dream on.

Rangers are desperate to shed salary, they aren't going to be able to (a) get the player they want in Sundin, (b) trade salary in Gomez to get Sundin and (c) then get two 1st round draft picks in a three-way deal in one of the deepest drafts in years next summer.

Demitra and Gaborik weren't that lethal in Minny.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanuReeves View Post
Raymond - Gomez - Demitra

Sedin - Sedin - Bernier

talk about the contrast in style of those lines...
HA HA HA...seriously. Wow. Opposing defenses would lose their minds.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Gomez to VAN

Luongo to NYR

Rangers trade Luongo for Gaborik.

Lets get it done!

Eklund.....

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Done from a Rangers perspective. The player the Rangers get with Vancouver's pick would probably be NHL ready right out of the draft; probably will be in Schroeder/Duchene/Kadri range. Having 3, count them, 3 first rounders in this year's draft would be absolutely lethal. Maybe 2 of them could be used to trade up and grab one of Tavares, Hedman, Paajarvi, Schenn, or Cowan with this scenario.

One can dream.
Don't get your hopes up bud.

First of all Carolina already has a surplus of defencemen so it's unlikely that they'd be willing to deal a 1st round draft pick for Bieksa.

Second of all even if Carolina gives a 1st round draft pick for Bieksa I highly doubt Vancouver would trade two 1st round draft picks for Gomez. That would be a real major price to pay and Gillis has made it clear that drafting and development is going to be a top priority in Vancouver.

And finally don't expect Vancouver to finish out of the playoffs if they do land Gomez for that price. They'll have two solid top lines and a real solid defence with great goaltending.

They may not be a team that'll do much in the playoffs but they will make the playoffs and maybe even win a round.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:12 PM
nastnyr94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Don't listen to eklund about the nhlpa renewing the option years this sept, cause it's not going to happen. Therefore, any bonuses for sundin would count towards this year's cap.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079
The collective bargaining agreement does not expire after this season. Yes the NHLPA can opt out of it (which they are unlikely to do) but the actual end date is in September of 2011. Therefore, for the purposes of bonii the same policy will be in effect this year as last year. There has been a lot of confusion on this point because of language. When the CBA says that bonii can't be held over for one season during the last year of the CBA it means 2010-2011 because you cannot assume that the NHLPA will exercise its option to reopen the CBA. Until the moment the NHLPA says otherwise, the last year of the CBA is 2010-2011 and this season is NOT considered the last of the CBA.

nastnyr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post

Plus I dont think Gomez would be a good fit in Van.
Really? I think he'd be perfect. Further, if they managed to add Gomez without sacrificing too much off of the current roster, I'd consider them contenders on the level of any team not in Detroit. That D, with that goalie, and a top six with Demitra, Gomer, and the twins...an extremely daunting proposition to any opponent, I would imagine.

Old
08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastnyr94 View Post
The collective bargaining agreement does not expire after this season. Yes the NHLPA can opt out of it (which they are unlikely to do) but the actual end date is in September of 2011. Therefore, for the purposes of bonii the same policy will be in effect this year as last year. There has been a lot of confusion on this point because of language. When the CBA says that bonii can't be held over for one season during the last year of the CBA it means 2010-2011 because you cannot assume that the NHLPA will exercise its option to reopen the CBA. Until the moment the NHLPA says otherwise, the last year of the CBA is 2010-2011 and this season is NOT considered the last of the CBA.
No offense, but I think I'll believe bob mackenzie over you, unless you can show me something different.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Done from a Rangers perspective. The player the Rangers get with Vancouver's pick would probably be NHL ready right out of the draft; probably will be in Schroeder/Duchene/Kadri range. Having 3, count them, 3 first rounders in this year's draft would be absolutely lethal. Maybe 2 of them could be used to trade up and grab one of Tavares, Hedman, Paajarvi, Schenn, or Cowan with this scenario.

One can dream.
If you give Vancouver Gomez, that pick will be one of the last 3 or 4 of the first round.

Old
08-23-2008, 02:10 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
No offense, but I think I'll believe bob mackenzie over you, unless you can show me something different.
Especially considering McKenzie says that GMs and owners have been informed about this change (presumably by the league). It's not like he's just pulling it out of his ass.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How can they get a good deal for Gomez if every team in the league knows they are in a position with their backs against the wall?
Well it simple as long as 2-4 teams need a number one center there will be a bidding war of sorts for Gomez. I have to figure that Columbus, LA Vancouver and others would create enough interest for the return to be very nice for the rags.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Agent007

Quote:
No no you should all believe some random guy on a hockey board over someone as highly regarded as Bob McKenzie

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
duncanmac12

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
is Sundin really that much better than Gomez at this point in their careers?
NO gomez led the devils to a cup sundin led the leafs to the basement of the league sundin is worth ****

trade proposal
for the leafs last season
Vancouver - Sundin
Leafs - a thread of luongo's jersey

duncanmac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I wonder if it could be a three way with Carolina?

To Carolina
Bieksa

To Vancouver
Gomez

To New York
Vancouver's 1st 2009
Carolina's 1st 2009

Also, considering Gomez is a playmaking center, could this be a long-term strategy? UFA Gaborik anyone? THAT would be a lethal first line...Gaborik-Gomez-Demitra.
I could only dream that this would happen. With so much Depth in young players, we could trade up and grab a top 5 pick for two firsts. Maybe even a 2nd and a 1st. Depending on where the draft picks fall. Have Sedin replace Gomez for the next two years. By then all our young players will be seasoned vets, resigned and be the core of the team.

Dubi, Dawes, Cally, Staal, Girardi, Sanguetti, Del Zotto, Cherpanov, Zherdev, (Prucha?)

I like where the team is heading. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN! If the Rangers got another Superstar forward out of this draft, I would be estatic.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:53 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac12 View Post
NO gomez led the devils to a cup sundin led the leafs to the basement of the league sundin is worth ****

trade proposal
for the leafs last season
Vancouver - Sundin
Leafs - a thread of luongo's jersey

How the hell did Gomez ever "lead" the Devils to a Cup? Niedermayer, Stevens and Brodeur laugh at you.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Really? I think he'd be perfect. Further, if they managed to add Gomez without sacrificing too much off of the current roster, I'd consider them contenders on the level of any team not in Detroit. That D, with that goalie, and a top six with Demitra, Gomer, and the twins...an extremely daunting proposition to any opponent, I would imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If you give Vancouver Gomez, that pick will be one of the last 3 or 4 of the first round.
Huh?

Gomez and Henrik Sedin have different styles, of course, but in terms of their role on the team, they're the same player. I've never been a fan of having even who guy who fills their role on the team, much less two. They're both second line centers.

Demitra should be better than he is. He's only 33, he should still have a year or two left. Hopefully the reins will be loosened with the influence of Lemaire gone, and he can recapture some of his magic, but I doubt he'll ever be the player he was.

As a whole, this isn't very frightening, especially not in the Western Conference. If you add Gomez to Vancouver right now, and I'm not even subtracting anything, which you would have to do in some capacity if they traded for him, I see them finishing behind Detroit, San Jose, Dallas, Anaheim, and Edmonton for sure, and wouldn't be surprised if they did worse than the Flames, the Blackhawks, the 'Yotes. The Avalanche and the Wild are going to fall this year, I feel.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:18 PM
VincentVega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
Yikes! No thanks.

As for the OP, don't get annoyed at Eklund, he is what he is. You getting annoyed is all on you. I've actually been following his site regularly for the past few months and there's something I noticed. Every rumour seems to be linked to the Canucks, Oilers, or a few other select teams. My guesse is he has inside info on these few teams which leads me to believe that he does have inside info. Wether that source is a janitor or a psychic or an actual ligit source is another storey.

As for the rumour, why not? The Canucks need a centre if no Sundin and the Rangers need cap room if they get Sedin. Price is another storey. The Canucks got nothing of value that they can afford to give up other than cap room. So unless it's another Bernier type deal when we trade a first in 2012 and a second in 2011 I don't see the deal happening. A first and Patrick White? But definately not Hodgson.

Shy.
every rumor is linked to the canucks, oilers, and few other select teams b/c fans of those teams go to his website the most and the more often he posts a 'rumor' including one of those teams, the more hits he gets on his website

VincentVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Rover*

No more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick for gomez. That contract is an albatross and is the jeff finger contract for forwards.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:51 PM
freakydave

Quote:
Hodgson and a 1st for Gomez? That's a deal that I MAY think about.

.....Awful.........just awful. Why do I even raise my blood pressure?
Gomez is a salary dump but 2 first rounders
It's more likely to be a Lukas Krajicek + Hansen or Grabner for 5 yrs of Gomez's bloated contract.

It's some kind of dream world your living in where you clear cap space for one of the best centre's in the game by unloading one of worst contracts in the league & get in return the best prospect the Canucks have had in years & another 1st rounder in another deep draft.

If Sather can pull that off he's the gm of the year

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Hossa

Quote:
No more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick for gomez. That contract is an albatross and is the jeff finger contract for forwards.
I'm not sure how one of the best playmakers in the game is comparable to Finger.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
timkerr

gomez has a unexchange clause so you can,t trade a player if he don,t want i think eklund makes up stories evry day and i watch eklund at trade limit thy got nothing at all

timkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Huh?

Gomez and Henrik Sedin have different styles, of course, but in terms of their role on the team, they're the same player. I've never been a fan of having even who guy who fills their role on the team, much less two. They're both second line centers.

Demitra should be better than he is. He's only 33, he should still have a year or two left. Hopefully the reins will be loosened with the influence of Lemaire gone, and he can recapture some of his magic, but I doubt he'll ever be the player he was.

As a whole, this isn't very frightening, especially not in the Western Conference. If you add Gomez to Vancouver right now, and I'm not even subtracting anything, which you would have to do in some capacity if they traded for him, I see them finishing behind Detroit, San Jose, Dallas, Anaheim, and Edmonton for sure, and wouldn't be surprised if they did worse than the Flames, the Blackhawks, the 'Yotes. The Avalanche and the Wild are going to fall this year, I feel.
Going from Lemaire to Vigneault isn't going to be much of a change at all.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Gomez is a salary dump but 2 first rounders
It's more likely to be a Lukas Krajicek + Hansen or Grabner for 5 yrs of Gomez's bloated contract.

It's some kind of dream world your living in where you clear cap space for one of the best centre's in the game by unloading one of worst contracts in the league & get in return the best prospect the Canucks have had in years & another 1st rounder in another deep draft.

If Sather can pull that off he's the gm of the year
To get you have to give my friend

Sather may be old, but he's not a moron. He wouldn't dump Gomez after one year for just Krajicek and Hansen. If Slats really needed to unload Gomez, some other team with salary cap room will most definitely offer up a more enticing package.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
freakydave

Quote:
To get you have to give my friend

Sather may be old, but he's not a moron. He wouldn't dump Gomez after one year for just Krajicek and Hansen. If Slats really needed to unload Gomez, some other team with salary cap room will most definitely offer up a more enticing package.
That may be true but you won't get 2 first rounders
for a 70 point player whose cap hit is 7.357 mil/sea for 5 more years.

As for another team with cap space who do you have in mind-what teams do you believe will make you a better offer & still allow you to shed 6.257 in cap space & give a serviceable puck moving dman(RFA at seasons end) & decent callup.Hansen was expected to make the canucks last season out of camp but suffered an injury.

If Gillis & Vancouver want Gomez predicated on Sundin signing in NY they can match any offer you can get anywhere else.I believe you underrate the detriment that size & length of his contract is on his trade value.Just my opinion.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
That may be true but you won't get 2 first rounders
for a 70 point player whose cap hit is 7.357 mil/sea for 5 more years.

As for another team with cap space who do you have in mind-what teams do you believe will make you a better offer & still allow you to shed 6.257 in cap space & give a serviceable puck moving dman(RFA at seasons end) & decent callup.Hansen was expected to make the canucks last season out of camp but suffered an injury.

If Gillis & Vancouver want Gomez predicated on Sundin signing in NY they can match any offer you can get anywhere else.I believe you underrate the detriment that size & length of his contract is on his trade value.Just my opinion.
Of course it's your opinion, and I respect that.

In response to your question, a team like Columbus for example would offer up a pretty nice package. Something like Brassard and Klesla for Gomez could work.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote