HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things to look forward too?

Old
08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

vCash: 500
Geez what i'm looking forward too ?
A whole lot of things.

First of all I can't wait to see Kovalev dominate, once again, with Plekanec and A.Kost. Kovy wants to play the rest of his career in Montreal and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs an extension during the season.

Secondly, PRICE. I can't wait to see if he really re-gained confidence during the off-season after an horrible end of season and playoffs. I know he has TONS of talents but Price never showed me so far that he can be dominant at this point of his career.

I also expect alot from both of the Kostityn brothers. A.Kost must score more goals this year and S.Kost must continue to develop the way he has been so far.

What else ?
Oh.... can't wait to see Tanguay. I'm kinda scared of all the brainless francophone medias and sheep followers will bash him as soon as he doesn't score. People need to understand that he's a good 2nd liner, not a top first line winger. I don't expect much from Tanguay for this first year; 25 goals and 35 assists.

And the cherry on the Sundae...
Laraque!

Oh baby jesus my Lord, finally the day has arrived where we have someone else taller than 5'8'' to defend all our star players. Kovalev won't have to worry about Chara breaking his neck everytime he passes on his side (not that Kovalev is scared of Chara anyway). Sergei Kost. will be able to talk crap and count on Laraque to shut the hell up.

Finally...
I hope Georges will continue his good work, despite his size he's doing a hell of a job and nobody seems to notice it.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
znk

uh oh....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
uh oh....
I second that.

Asterix should read The Damned's comment to see what "idolizing' Kovalev is all about, and see the difference between, him who is one extreme, us who are middle ground, and TheDamned who is the other extreme.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Kovalev's last year of his contract.
umm ?
Quote:
More like a selfish primadona. Bon débarras (Good riddance)!
Are you blind ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Did you miss the entire season? People change and Kovy said it many times. Carbonneau gave him the C when Saku was hurt so i think it should be enough for you.
Exactly.

Quote:
Wow...just wow.
You're talking about the guy who has his hockey school every summer for kids in russia. The guy who flew in gaspésie to spend a day with a young fan. The guy who made a dvd's where 100% of the money goes to the heart foundation. And the guy who carried this team on his shoulders last season.
+1.

Quote:
I see. Because I don't like Kovalev, I'm a troll. I've been following the Habs for 4 decades. I have celebrated 10 Stanley Cups. I have played at a reasonably high level of hockey. I have been coaching for several years. I am a good judge of character and I know my hockey. I can respect that most like Kovalev, but I certainly don't share that admiration, that idolization, sorry.
I'm sorry but you as a coach ?

Quote:
I am not referring of Kovalev off the ice, but on the ice.

Just of the top of my head, a few examples:
  • When he got that little tap on the wrist and Glen Murray scored because he stopped playing and got in Souray's way, who was trying to save his sorry butt
  • Apparently playing through an elbow injury, he decided to rest it after being sat by Carbonneau, in the middle of a playoffs' run, costing the team a playoffs' spot
  • He took a goal away from Plekanec on a puck that was clearly going in, with no one around, he rushed to push it in to make it his
  • In a game when Plekanec had two goals already, his line was on the ice in the last minute. Kovalev skated out of his zone, Pleks skated in front of him expecting a pass (on a 3 on 1 I might add) which never came, Kovalev took it all the way to score the empty net, when it could have easily been Plekanec's very first NHL hat trick
And there are more...
All these are very questionable.

Weren't you an hockey coach ? Don't you know that hockey is a team sports ? What the hell was Sourray doing at the blue near the red line in a so crucial time of the game ? Ever been slashed by Green on the wrist ? I'm sure you would go down and cry for your mother.

The injury, unless you're Plekanec or Bégin, you don't have access to the player's room. You have no idea if Kovy was indeed faking or not, next.

Wich player wants to complete an hat-trick in a empty net ? I'm a player myself I played high level hockey all my life and I play during the off season with a few guys that plays in the AHL or NHL and they all tell me the same thing: scoring a 3rd goal is an empty-net is not a real hat-trick. I'm sure Plekanec didn't mind at ALL.

Next.

Old
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Here we go... this might get interesting Z... you might get your wish.

Old
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
What else ?
Oh.... can't wait to see Tanguay. I'm kinda scared of all the brainless francophone medias and sheep followers will bash him as soon as he doesn't score. People need to understand that he's a good 2nd liner, not a top first line winger. I don't expect much from Tanguay for this first year; 25 goals and 35 assists.
He had 79, 78 and 81 points the three seasons prior to last year... those point totals look like first line numbers to me.

Going from playing with Craig Conroy and Owen Nolan to way more skilled guys like Kovalev, Koivu, Plekanec and the Kostitsyn's will only inflate his point totals and also the fact its his contract year and I think he has a very good shot at 80 points but i'll be happy with in the 70's. I do agree though I hope people don't bash him or get on his back if he starts off slowly.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Wow, someone's 24 hour, dedicated, all-things-Kovalev search engine is still alive and kicking.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Going from playing with Craig Conroy and Owen Nolan to way more skilled guys like Kovalev, Koivu, Plekanec and the Kostitsyn's will only inflate his point totals and also the fact its his contract year and I think he has a very good shot at 80 points but i'll be happy with in the 70's..
I sure hope you're right!
But for some reasons I think he'll struggle at some points of the season.

Old
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

To the author of this thread, sorry it went off-track.

Aside from what I've already stated, I'm looking forward to seeing Koivu have a true top notch winger in Tanguay for the first time since he had Mark Recchi. Since then, he's made a 30 goals scorer out of Richard Zednik, a 25-30 goals scorer out of Michael Ryder and even a 20 goals scorer out of Jan Bulis.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Georges Laraque in a Habs' uniform and how it makes our skilled players play with more confidence.

I'm looking forward to seeing Carey Price prove his doubters wrong, as he'll be well rested this year.

And last but not least, I'm looking forward to what Gainey will do to try bringing home our 25th Stanley Cup and that, on our 100th anniversary.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
znk

Quote:
To the author of this thread, sorry it went off-track.

Aside from what I've already stated, I'm looking forward to seeing Koivu have a true top notch winger in Tanguay for the first time since he had Mark Recchi. Since then, he's made a 30 goals scorer out of Richard Zednik, a 25-30 goals scorer out of Michael Ryder and even a 20 goals scorer out of Jan Bulis.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Georges Laraque in a Habs' uniform and how it makes our skilled players play with more confidence.

I'm looking forward to seeing Carey Price prove his doubters wrong, as he'll be well rested this year.
And last but not least, I'm looking forward to what Gainey will do to try bringing home our 25th Stanley Cup and that, on our 100th anniversary.
Some times we have to wonder what a player has to do to peform this feat.

Old
08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wow, someone's 24 hour, dedicated, all-things-Kovalev search engine is still alive and kicking.
He stole the PROMIS software just for his love of Kovalev.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Old
08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
I sure hope you're right!
But for some reasons I think he'll struggle at some points of the season.
Not like Kovy who will be perfect from start to finish, right?

Old
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
I see. Because I don't like Kovalev, I'm a troll. I've been following the Habs for 4 decades. I have celebrated 10 Stanley Cups. I have played at a reasonably high level of hockey. I have been coaching for several years. I am a good judge of character and I know my hockey. I can respect that most like Kovalev, but I certainly don't share that admiration, that idolization, sorry.
Yeah, they to do that here. It seems that people thinking differently are trolls. We should update the Wikipedia definition.

While I disagree with your statement, you have a right to explain it and share it.

One thing that might explain the idolization is that we have been searching for it for many years, since Patrick Roy was traded. We tried with a few, but it never worked.

While we cannot compare Kovalev to Roy, if Alexei resigns with Montreal, he will enter a realm of worthy idolization in my opinion.

Daniel Bigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Istvan

Quote:
I am not referring of Kovalev off the ice, but on the ice.

Just of the top of my head, a few examples:
  • When he got that little tap on the wrist and Glen Murray scored because he stopped playing and got in Souray's way, who was trying to save his sorry butt
  • Apparently playing through an elbow injury, he decided to rest it after being sat by Carbonneau, in the middle of a playoffs' run, costing the team a playoffs' spot
  • He took a goal away from Plekanec on a puck that was clearly going in, with no one around, he rushed to push it in to make it his
  • In a game when Plekanec had two goals already, his line was on the ice in the last minute. Kovalev skated out of his zone, Pleks skated in front of him expecting a pass (on a 3 on 1 I might add) which never came, Kovalev took it all the way to score the empty net, when it could have easily been Plekanec's very first NHL hat trick
And there are more...

I know that he's loved by many Habs' fans and as I've stated, I'm okay with that, but don't expect me to have the same blind love towards him. People don't remember what a true star forward looks like in Montreal as the last one was Guy Lafleur and few had the opportunity to watch him play.
What are your thoughts about the off ice Kovalev? Seriously. BTW, I watched Lafleur's entire career and I still consider him the most exciting Hab I ever saw. He is, however, not my favorite all time Hab because i can't exclude his off ice behaviour from the total package that makes up Guy Lafleur. By the same token I may cut Kovalev some slack because his off ice behaviour is admirable.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
What are your thoughts about the off ice Kovalev? Seriously. BTW, I watched Lafleur's entire career and I still consider him the most exciting Hab I ever saw. He is, however, not my favorite all time Hab because i can't exclude his off ice behaviour from the total package that makes up Guy Lafleur. By the same token I may cut Kovalev some slack because his off ice behaviour is admirable.
I tip my hat to what he does off ice. It doesn't mean that I have to like what I see on the ice though. Anyway, we've already wasted too much time getting off-topic with Kovalev. I've spoken my peace and it's there to disagree with.

Old
08-26-2008, 06:53 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
uh oh....

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Standard Habs 5-on-3 PP:

Sundin-Koivu
Markov-Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn

Sundin to Kovalev across to Markov who sets up Andrei K. for the one-timer, rebound to Koivu who has an open net where he exclaims, "LMAO," and fires it right back up top to Markov who feeds Kovalev for a one-time pass to Sundin who proceeds to set up Andrei K for another shot, waist-high, that is deflected home by Saku.

"Rejoice." - Carbo
It will be tough to replace Smolinski on that 5 on 3 power play but I'm confident Sundin could do it.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Standard Habs 5-on-3 PP:

Sundin-Koivu
Markov-Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn

Sundin to Kovalev across to Markov who sets up Andrei K. for the one-timer, rebound to Koivu who has an open net where he exclaims, "LMAO," and fires it right back up top to Markov who feeds Kovalev for a one-time pass to Sundin who proceeds to set up Andrei K for another shot, waist-high, that is deflected home by Saku.

"Rejoice." - Carbo
hahaha nice

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I had a dream Andrei Kostitsyn was at a restaurant, but he was skinny as ****.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:56 AM
sandman08

the possibility i may actually get to see a hockey game in real time on a tv as opposed to a game i download and watch on my comp many hours after the fact

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It will be tough to replace Smolinski on that 5 on 3 power play but I'm confident Sundin could do it.
here's one thing I look forward too, no slowinski on the pp

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
here's one thing I look forward too, no slowinski on the pp
He actually played great from January onwards and in the playoffs.

Old
08-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
He actually played great from January onwards and in the playoffs.
no he didn't, he started horribly and played decent once Bégin and TKO started to work there ***** off every shift

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
no he didn't, he started horribly and played decent once Bégin and TKO started to work there ***** off every shift
We obviously weren't watching the same games. After Carbonneau scratched him for a game, he came back very strong. In the playoffs, his line was one of our best.

Old
08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
znk

Quote:
Smolinski was verry servicable in the 2nd half. The bashing pretty much stopped.