HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Predict the first Hab to be traded in 2008/9 !

Old
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
This damn mentality is about playing for today while planning for tomorrow. It would be a party to have Sundin, Koivu and Plekanec as your three centers for a year. But then what? Let Koivu go next year? Let Plekanec get poached? Lose Komisarek to UFA?

But whatever with the salaries and the cap. I just disagree that trading Plekanec would make this team worse. IMO, Sundin is overall a big upgrade on Plekanec. There's also the outright additions of Tanguay and Laraques. And then there's another year of experience for all of the young players like Latendresse, O'Byrne, both Kostitsyns, etc. How would the team be worse next year? If Sundin signs, the team gets better and more experienced, and that's with or without Plekanec.

I don't see what's wrong with making a good trade for the future when your present circumstances give you the luxury to do so. Signing Sundin and trading Plekanec for a good return would be a net gain for this season and others into the future.
It's pretty simple actually

Sundin + Plekanec >>>>> Sundin - Plekanec

Does it need further explanation or did you get it this time?

Sundin signs a one-year deal, retires after. Plekanec is traded. Koivu is a UFA after the season is over. So we go into the offseason with Chipchura as our #1 centre. Very smart indeed.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I think Begin will make the team as a reserve. Won't make it next year though.

Dandenault MIGHT make the team as a reserve, depends what they do with Brisebois (Who would be a fine reserve as a seems to have unexpectedly grown some old man spirit and we'll need some of it) and if a young guy pushes Bouillon out of the starting lineup.

If a young D makes the team, Bouillon is the reserve at Q, Dandy is gone either through trade or waivers, and Brisebois plays elsewhere.

And next year, Bouillon is gone too.

Evolution is claiming a lot of our depth players. Means the team is getting better you know.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It's pretty simple actually

Sundin + Plekanec >>>>> Sundin - Plekanec

Does it need further explanation or did you get it this time?

Sundin signs a one-year deal, retires after. Plekanec is traded. Koivu is a UFA after the season is over. So we go into the offseason with Chipchura as our #1 centre. Very smart indeed.
First of all, you can take your patronizing attitude and shove it up your ass.

As for your explanation, you're basically arguing with yourself by introducing premises that were never part of my argument, which was that Sundin would sign for two years, and that Koivu would re-sign. If you want to change these premises to suit your conclusion, then go ahead, but next time don't bother to invite me to your one-sided debate.

As for your equation, I applaud your typesetting skills, if not your reasoning; alas, I still see it differently:

2008-2009 + Sundin - Plekanec (team is still better than last year, not even including Tanguay and Laraques and improved young players)
2009-2010 + Sundin - Plekanec + room to re-sign players like Higgins, Kovalev, Komisarek, etc
2010-2011 - Sundin + re-signed players + return from Plekanec deal

is better than

2008-2009 + Sundin + Plekanec
2009-2010 + Sundin - Plekanec or Higgins or Komisarek etc
2010-2011 - Sundin - whoever above

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

As for your explanation, you're basically arguing with yourself by introducing premises that were never part of my argument, which was that Sundin would sign for two years, and that Koivu would re-sign.

2008-2009 + Sundin - Plekanec (team is still better than last year, not even including Tanguay and Laraques and improved young players)
2009-2010 + Sundin - Plekanec + room to re-sign players like Higgins, Kovalev, Komisarek, etc
2010-2011 - Sundin + re-signed players + return from Plekanec deal

is better than

2008-2009 + Sundin + Plekanec
2009-2010 + Sundin - Plekanec or Higgins or Komisarek etc
2010-2011 - Sundin - whoever above
or

2008-2009 +Sundin + Plekanec + koivu
2009-2010 + Sundin + Plekanec - Koivu + Higgins and Komisarek
2010-2011 - Sundin +Plekanec + Higgins + Komisarek +Maxwell .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Who's coming the other way, Eric Staal?
Over valuing Pleks are we, or just think it's such an unlikely scenario that someone that good would just have to be coming this way in order to deal Pleks out of nowhere?

Probably Begin/Dandy since we don't need to clear any space.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
or

That could work too, though I wonder whether having Koivu + return for Plekanec wouldn't be better. It's of course impossible to tell, at least without tarot cards. I also suspect that Koivu would actually be cheaper at that point than Plekanec, and I doubt -- mostly for sentimental reasons -- that Gainey and Gillett would cut him loose. But he could always retire by then...

Anyway, ZAMBONI, you of all people should know better than to taunt the Koivu loyalists. Your friend waffledave has returned since being given amnesty, and he and his troops will find this post of yours.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Pleks for his no show last spring..

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Tampa Bay is ****ing retarded to not do it.

yeah right. price hasnt proved anything. one good year? he could still be the next raycroft..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:25 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Honestly, with the direction the Panthers are leaning towards, and as far as Bouwmeester is expected to leave next year, I say it would not surprise me to see Gainey trading Komisarek or Higgins for Bouwmeester. Say what you want, any team would take Bouwmeester, and he's what we really need on this team IMO...

But this is not going to be the first trade of the year. I'm going to jump in the pool with this one :

- Sundin signs with Philadelphia
- Briere waves his NTC and surprisingly enough, gets traded to the Habs for a package of a 1st rounder, and a top D-prospect or Halak.

Of course, this is bold, but this is what makes these threads so funny.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:27 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
Pleks for his no show last spring..
Yeah... of course... Hey wait... we even should trade him to Dallas in exchange of Trevor Daley... reminds you something?

Seriously, if you're talking about Plekanec's "no-show" last spring (9 pts in 12 games), why arent' you talking about Markov's, Higgins' (5 pts in 12 games), and Komisarek's?

Old
08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
brownman*

The Bouwman is UFA next summer so I don't think Gainey would deal Higgins and Komi away willy-nilly.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:43 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
The Bouwman is UFA next summer so I don't think Gainey would deal Higgins and Komi away willy-nilly.
Did you consider that Bouwmeester is MILES ahead of these two player right now in terms of value?

And just so you know, Komisarek is a UFA next year too, and Higgins is likely to receive a huge pay raise.

Ask any GM, and they would easily trade their 3rd D-Man or their 3rd LW for a potential UFA 1st D-Man.

Since Florida is looking for offense, and that Higgins is a Martin type of player, I could see that trade.

Old
08-25-2008, 12:59 AM
brownman*

Value is all relative, the NHL isn't a Fantasy League and Komisarek and Higgins are very important parts of this club. The notion of dealing away two great leaders, one of which is a punishing brute force, for a man who will have all 30 clubs calling him on July 1st, 2009 willing to offer upwards of $10 million per is foolhardy

Old
08-25-2008, 05:47 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Value is all relative, the NHL isn't a Fantasy League and Komisarek and Higgins are very important parts of this club. The notion of dealing away two great leaders, one of which is a punishing brute force, for a man who will have all 30 clubs calling him on July 1st, 2009 willing to offer upwards of $10 million per is foolhardy

Wait... are you saying Komisarek will get up to 10M/year?

Oh, and you think Bouwmeester would not be valuable to this team? We would easily forget one of those two, beleive me...

Come on... I like the fact we Habs fans love our players but hell... BOUWMEESTER. You really would take Higgins or Komisarek before him?!. If so, get a reality check!

Old
08-25-2008, 05:59 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
yeah right. price hasnt proved anything. one good year? he could still be the next raycroft..
What has Stamkos proven over Price? GTFO.

Potential Franchise Goalie > Potential #1 center.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Wait... are you saying Komisarek will get up to 10M/year?

Oh, and you think Bouwmeester would not be valuable to this team? We would easily forget one of those two, beleive me...

Come on... I like the fact we Habs fans love our players but hell... BOUWMEESTER. You really would take Higgins or Komisarek before him?!. If so, get a reality check!
The notion of dealing away two great leaders, one of which is a punishing brute force, for a man who will have all 30 clubs calling him on July 1st, 2009 willing to offer upwards of $10 million per is foolhardy

It's rather clear that I'm saying Bouwmeester will get upwards of $10 mil; so yes, let's deal away two of our better pieces for a guy who is all but guaranteed to test the market on July 1

Old
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
or

+1, now we're talking sense.

We can possibly also consider a -Kovalev in the mix. Maybe as soon as 2009-2010.

If A.K progress' like he did this last season, it is very possible IMO in order to have all the room necessary to sign Tanguay, Higgins, Komi, Pleks, Chips, Tender and prospects as D'ago and Stewart.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm going to go outside the box and say Dandenault.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Lone Rogue

Montreal will trade Mats Sundin to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Luke Schenn, who will trade Sundin to the Canucks for Kyle Wellwood, who will trade Sundin to the Flyers for Jeff Carter, who will trade Sundin to the Rangers for Scott Gomez, who will trade Sundin to the Canadiens for Chris Higgins, who will trade Sundin to the Toronto...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote