HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston - Columbus

Old
08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
God
Free Citizen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
Just curious, though, what "would" it take to get Bergeron in Columbus. Nash aside?
Voracek/Filatov, Brassard, 1st round pick, etc.

Apparently.

His trade value is very low right now, so it's best for the Bruins to hang onto him.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
JumboJoe19
Hank027

Bergerons not getting traded, why waste your time making this thread?

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJoe19 View Post
Malkin, Crosby, or Ovechkin won't be traded either....along with a bunch more NHL players. 99.99999% of the trades here will never happen.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJoe19 View Post
How many people said the same thing about Thornton?

Seriously, Nash isn't getting traded, either, but "threads" whether idiotic or not is what this board's all about, right?
We gotta have something to do in the off-season.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
And he doesn't hit as well as Nash.
I don't disagree with the overall gist of your post, but I totally disagree with this portion of it. I have very little hesitation in saying that Bergeron hits better than Nash.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
How many people said the same thing about Thornton?
Dear lord how I hate that argument. There were reasons why Boston traded Thornton at the time. Here, I'll repost what I said in a different trade thread were someone was trying to get Bergeron and used the Thornton trade as some sort of reason why it might happen:

"1) Thornton was seen as something of an underachiever (rightly or wrongly) who despite putting up good numbers, lacked leadership abilities a team would want in their best player. Bergeron is seen (rightly or wrongly) as almost the polar opposite, a player who puts up ok, but not great numbers, but who's presence in so many ways adds up to more.

2) There was a worry about Thornton wanting to resign with Boston when his current deal was over. I've never heard the same concerns with Bergeron.

3) The Thornton deal was made under a prior GM. The current GM has shown no track record of dealing core players away.

4) At the time the Bruins team was failing and underperforming and it was felt by the team that a shake up was needed. Currently the team is coming off a year when it overachieved and has a number of really young players already contributing, and a few more ready to make the team. A shake up is not needed.

So if your larger point is, "Hey Thornton and Gretzky got traded anyone can be." Yeah we know, but the REASONS and TIMES when those guys were traded are totally different from the Bruins RIGHT NOW with Bergeron."

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
"Hey Thornton and Gretzky got traded anyone can be."
Gragh. I hate that trope. Every time I hear it I get tempted once again to go trolling through the HHOF for players that never went anywhere.

I've got a decent number already, though the only ones I can consistently remember off the top of my head (i.e. without digging out my notes) are Steve Yzerman, Stan Mikita, Mario Lemieux, and Maurice and Henri Richard. I can provide a bigger list if necessary, though.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

So if your larger point is, "Hey Thornton and Gretzky got traded anyone can be." Yeah we know, but the REASONS and TIMES when those guys were traded are totally different from the Bruins RIGHT NOW with Bergeron."
No, that's not my point at ALL. My point wasn't to justify why this trade could happen, as it obviously won't outside of CBJ dreamland, it was to illustrate that it wasn't a totally unacceptable thing to be (more or less) humorously discussing on a hockey forum during the off-season.
I mean, we are hockey geeks, right? Unless I've inadvertently stumbled upon an ACTUAL online meeting of NHL GM's discussing real-world trades??? (Mr. Howson, if you're there, we really need to talk)

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Just curious, though, what "would" it take to get Bergeron in Columbus. Nash aside?
There is no way to get Bergeron in Columbus if Nash isn't coming the other way, Bergeron is the center of our team's future and we are trying to build pieces into great players not trade our players for pieces to build. We are not sending a good player for smaller pieces and as such Nash is the only player on the team that can be considered in any way an improvement to Bergeron and therefor there is no way Bergeron goes to Columbus. I know you were hoping for some type of proposal but i just done see one that could happen, maybe Voracek and Filatov but that wouldn't really make sense for either team.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBear View Post
There is no way to get Bergeron in Columbus if Nash isn't coming the other way, Bergeron is the center of our team's future and we are trying to build pieces into great players not trade our players for pieces to build. We are not sending a good player for smaller pieces and as such Nash is the only player on the team that can be considered in any way an improvement to Bergeron and therefor there is no way Bergeron goes to Columbus. I know you were hoping for some type of proposal but i just done see one that could happen, maybe Voracek and Filatov but that wouldn't really make sense for either team.

Exactly (gee, you guys are really good)!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:33 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
If I was trying to describe Bergeron I would have. He's one of my favorite players. That post was strictly about Rick Nash. And btw, Bergeron isn't the captain and can't control the puck as well as Nash and other elites. Not sure if he's the face of Boston but I would assume he is. And he doesn't hit as well as Nash. But other than that, he does give it all every shift, forechecks, backchecks, etc.

And I don't understand this 'actually stopped to read' garbage. I misspoke but did I offend you? Jesus.
well, if you dint understand the 'actually stopped to read' garbage, then i think you prove my point.

i havent seen enough of Nash to say, but Bergeron hits extremely well, and has excellent control of the puck, i'd let others agrue that point more.

point is though, you summary of nash, sounds just like bergeron.

and captain, no, there are a few other vets that fill role very well...

bb_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Nash is one of the most overrated players in the league. Lots of hype and talk, but so far the results haven't fit the billing. The proposal sucks...the Bruins are a much better organization with Bergeron, Rask, and two first rounders than they are with Rick Nash.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM
cbj21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Nash is one of the most overrated players in the league. Lots of hype and talk, but so far the results haven't fit the billing. The proposal sucks...the Bruins are a much better organization with Bergeron, Rask, and two first rounders than they are with Rick Nash.
It's still funny though how Nash always ends up on Canada's #1 line .. those clueless Canadians.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:50 AM
IanJebus

boston gets hosed in this deal

IanJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Please

Dont need 2 1sts

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
CBJ gets:

P. Bergeron
T. Rask
1st 09
1st 10

BOS gets:
Rick Nash

Close value wise?
Not even close. Boston overpaid pretty good here. Maybe you're thinking you need to give to get but that doesn't apply here. First, Rick Nash is the face fo the franchise. Second, Columbus JUST made him their captain. Third, those first round picks you'r giving away could end up hurting boston bad.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Which ever team would make this deal would want Nash and Bergeron to play on the same line.So if the Bruins would wanna acquire Nash it would be Kessel going the other way IMO

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:37 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
It's still funny though how Nash always ends up on Canada's #1 line .. those clueless Canadians.
Ryan Smyth and Bryan McCabe were on the team in the last Olympic Tournament. Selection for team Canada hardly holds water as a solid argument.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
cbj21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
Ryan Smyth and Bryan McCabe were on the team in the last Olympic Tournament. Selection for team Canada hardly holds water as a solid argument.
My argument was #1 line, not the selection itself.
So surrounded with quality Nash have shown results which was my reply to VeddarRants.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
CBJ gets:

P. Bergeron
T. Rask
1st 09
1st 10

BOS gets:
Rick Nash

Close value wise?
Not even remotely.

What's with all the Boston proposals where Boston is getting bent over? This is the third one in the past few days.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:49 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Quote:
CBJ gets:

P. Bergeron
T. Rask
1st 09
1st 10

BOS gets:
Rick Nash

Close value wise?
Value wise this is highway robbery for CBJ.

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
No thanks. Nash (although he hasn't had a great surrounding cast) hasn't put up numbers to warrant this kind of return. 2 Franchise players AND 2 first round picks for a guy who has a career high 69 points. I'll pass.
You gotta slow down. You call Nash "a guy with 69 points" yet Rask is a franchise player....?

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
You gotta slow down. You call Nash "a guy with 69 points" yet Rask is a franchise player....?
Rask is our franchise goalie.

I never said nash wasn't they're franchise player. I just said I wouldn't want to trade a guy who has out-scored him and is younger along with our franchise goalie.

Nash IS a guy with 69 points. Great talent but there's no way he can warrant this kind of return.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Rask is our franchise goalie.

I never said nash wasn't they're franchise player. I just said I wouldn't want to trade a guy who has out-scored him and is younger along with our franchise goalie.

Nash IS a guy with 69 points. Great talent but there's no way he can warrant this kind of return.
Rask IS just a rookie goaltender.....

And Bergeron is not a franchise center. [Neither is Rask] This word gets thrown out too much on this board.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Lupul*

Quote:
No thanks. Nash (although he hasn't had a great surrounding cast) hasn't put up numbers to warrant this kind of return. 2 Franchise players AND 2 first round picks for a guy who has a career high 69 points. I'll pass.
concussed player and goalie prospect = 2 franchise players

also omg bad trade proposal

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote