HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hey guys, need some help.

Old
08-24-2008, 04:27 PM
llmike93

vCash: 500
Hey guys, need some help.

Hey guys.

Well, im 16, turning 17 in sept and i love the game of hockey. I played roller hockey in middle school then i needed to stop because of personal reasons and ive been back on track since about sept of last year.

I would go out there and try out although theres always something stopping me. I would want to be a forward. Right wing preffered, if not then center. My skating skills arent very good. Regular skating is ok, but stopping, skating backwards, manuevering around the ice easily and some techniques is where the problem comes in. Ive followed hockey since elementary school and dreamed about playing. While playing roller hockey i didnt score any goals and ended up with 5? assists. My left leg is weaker then my right one which is why i have skating problems. I lose my balance rather easily and stopping/skating backwards is terrible to be honest.

I dont really know what to do, ive tried and it hasnt really come out and ive been maybe..scared? My roller hockey experience wasnt too cool and now i dont have the confidence to go out and try to get my skating better and eventually try out.

What can i do? Any guidelines on what i could do/things i can attend to help?

Thanks.

llmike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmike93 View Post
Hey guys.

Well, im 16, turning 17 in sept and i love the game of hockey. I played roller hockey in middle school then i needed to stop because of personal reasons and ive been back on track since about sept of last year.

I would go out there and try out although theres always something stopping me. I would want to be a forward. Right wing preffered, if not then center. My skating skills arent very good. Regular skating is ok, but stopping, skating backwards, manuevering around the ice easily and some techniques is where the problem comes in. Ive followed hockey since elementary school and dreamed about playing. While playing roller hockey i didnt score any goals and ended up with 5? assists. My left leg is weaker then my right one which is why i have skating problems. I lose my balance rather easily and stopping/skating backwards is terrible to be honest.

I dont really know what to do, ive tried and it hasnt really come out and ive been maybe..scared? My roller hockey experience wasnt too cool and now i dont have the confidence to go out and try to get my skating better and eventually try out.

What can i do? Any guidelines on what i could do/things i can attend to help?

Thanks.
Well, all that you have asked is enough to write a book. So let see if we can break it down for you. One of the first thing you need to do is work on your balance. This is key!

If you have great balance, you will be able to...
1. Transition from forward to backwards without catching an edge and falling.
2. If someone checks you, you will not fall.
3. If you are going to stop, you will not run into the boards.
4. Your deking will be better...etc.

The list goes on and on.

So here's a simple drill to work on your balance. Start at the goal line (point of reference) with your feet in a "V" (neels together, toes out)

Then, place the weight on your heels. Bend your knees which will allow your feet to start moving out in different direction where that "V" becomes a bigger "V".

Just before you get to this big "V" at full extention (the point of falling). I want you to jump into the air about 5 inches off the ice, bring your heels together and land back on the ice with your feet in a "V" like you started at the goal line.

Then start the process all over again and continue until you get down the ice and then come back the same way. That's drill # 1.

Drill # 2: Do the same thing now, but only backwards. Start at the goal line with an inverted "V"(toes together as much as possible and heels apart) this time place the weight on the "ball of the toes" (ball of the toes: the area where the toes meet the foot) Bend your knees.

This will start you to move backwards where the feet start moving out in a large inverted "V". Once your feet are about 2.5 feet of seperation, I want you to jump about 5 inches and bring your toes back together and land on the ice with you toes in the start position, like you started at the goal line.

Continue down the ice to the other end and then come back. That's drill #2. Once you are able to get down to the other end without falling, you pretty much have a good understanding about balance. But, that's not good enough.

Drill # 3: Ok, start with your feet in a "V" like drill #1. This time you do two forward. and on the third jump, you turn 180 degrees in the air, which will place you in the backward direction. You land on the ice like Driil #2 and then you do two backwards, on the third one, you jump in the air about 5 inches off the ice and turn forward 180 degrees in the air and land facing forward. Then it starts all over again. Two forward, two backwards.

Drill # 4: Single it up now. One forward, one backwards!

Drill # 5: Do drill #1 with ten forward landings. The on the eleventh, turn in the air 360.

Here's a good example. Look at the last drill from our power skating class that we put on each year. If you can do drill one through 4 and do it well, you balance will be good enough to do drill #5 Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/passthepuck

Hope this helps
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Bending your knees is very important for starts. Backwards skating is harder to pick up but what alot of people do, is put one arm out a few inches infront of there chest and use that to help balance.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
stick9

Going to public skating sessions isn't a bad idea. You can work on your skating there without worrying about making mistakes during a game. Not really the optimal place since you won't have the whole sheet to yourself, but it will give you a few hours of ice time to work on things like crossovers and starting/stopping.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Going to public skating sessions isn't a bad idea. You can work on your skating there without worrying about making mistakes during a game. Not really the optimal place since you won't have the whole sheet to yourself, but it will give you a few hours of ice time to work on things like crossovers and starting/stopping.
It's a good place to practice technique. You won't have to worry about speed.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

If you've practiced the hell out of your skating, and still don't see improvement -- measure each of your legs.
SEriously.

I have a friend with one leg slightly shorter than the other and having lifts installed on his shorter leg's skate has made all the difference.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
llmike93

Ill need to go and give those drills a try soon and see what i come out as, thanks coach. Ive been going to public skating sessions and theyve helped but minimally since i dont have the whole sheet to myself.

Yeah, Delorme, my left leg is slightly shorter than my right one, its not noticable unless you actually go and measure it out exactly, but uhh, would that do the trick? Such a minimal difference in length.

Thanks guys.

Old
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
DukeDoughty8

I personally would try to find a skating tutor who can help you become a better skater... if you can find a tutor near you

DukeDoughty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
llmike93

Ive never really looked around for skating tutors or attended one, ill have to look around.

Old
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmike93 View Post
Ive never really looked around for skating tutors or attended one, ill have to look around.
Hope, that's why I gave you those drills. If you want help...PM me and I will help you.

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:22 AM
llmike93

Alright, thanks coach. Ill PM you if anything.

Old
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
KillerCanuk

power skating class..get your fundementals down first..leg strength is key along with flexability. Hit the gym and focus on single leg squats and single leg extensions, or do stairs u need to have a strong lower body and core to be a good skater. to focus on balance, try doin simple things on one leg, like quad stretch or even curling weights on one foot, it all helps. Your core is where u devlop you balance and strength, just look on the web for core exercises, theres lots on here. But also eat healthy train hard and keep focused and never lose confidence the more you practice or train the more confident you will be. im just getting back into hockey again after 10yrs or not playing, it takes a while and its painful,,but more than worth it.

no pain no gain...practise makes perfect!!

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:57 PM
llmike93

Yeah, ive been looking after classes. I was planning on begining excersing more soon too, ive noticed a bit less strength since i left hockey.

Old
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
tgarrett29

Lot of great pointers here ... thanks Coach! I am going to incorporate some of this into my son's training regimine and mine as well

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
I think I was in the same position as you are in when I was 14 [now 20]. I sucked at skating and the only thing I had to practice on was the local community rink. I sucked for a long time and I absolutely hated it. I taught myself everything I can do [in terms of skating], which is probably why I do some weird things that are normal to me. I just worked on everything a little at a time, if I fell I pulled my ass back up. Like I said, I absolutely hated not being able to do things that other people could do so easily. Just work on one thing at a time.

Knowing the crap that I went through and all the struggles, I suggest a skating tutor .

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
nullterm

Take a power skating course or something like it. I started in April and am contemplating going back a third time. If you want to play, it's worth every penny.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote