HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Griffin Reinhart

Old
10-12-2014, 01:51 PM
YearlyLottery

vCash: 500
Griffin Reinhart

What does everyone think of Big Griff so far? I'll be honest and say I was expecting a little bit more. Him being paired with Strait is a recipe for failure on that third pairing.

I know many of us were expecting Reinhart to possibly be a top four damn THIS year before the Leddy and Boychuck deals. Has anyones opinion changed of him? I guess we were spoiled after Hammer and CDH came up and just destroyed their first season. I would like Reinhart to be sent down and work on the following:

Being physical- there was one time last night where I believe Gerbe was in front with Reinhart and he wasn't really hitting him out of the way.

Shooting- when he's in Bridgeport I would like to see Pulock work work with him on his shot. He has the strength to bomb them.

They did it with Donovan last season as well. Why pair a rookie up with your worst dman? It makes the pairing difficult to watch. Reinhart being paired with a smooth skating dman could be fantastic. I also want to say that I fully expect Einhart to develop into a solid top four defenseman, but he's not ready to push out Vis or Hickey just yet.

Thoughts?

Last edited by YearlyLottery: 10-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.
YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
What does everyone think of Big Griff so far? I'll be honest and say I was expecting a little bit more. Him being paired with Strait is a recipe for failure on that third pairing.

I know many of us were expecting Reinhart to possibly be a top four damn THIS year before the Leddy and Boychuck deals. Has anyones opinion changed of him? I guess we were spoiled after Hammer and CDH came up and just destroyed their first season. I would like Reinhart to be sent down and work on the following:

Being physical- there was one time last night where I believe Gerbe was in front with Reinhart and he wasn't really hitting him out of the way.

Shooting- when he's in Bridgeport I would like to see Pulock work work with him on his shot. He has the strength to bomb them.

They did it with Donovan last season as well. Why pair a rookie up with your worst dman? It makes the pairing difficult to watch. Reinhart being paired with a smooth skating dman could be fantastic. I also want to say that I fully expect Einhart to develop into a solid top four defenseman, but he's not ready to push out Vis or Hickey just yet.

Thoughts?

Knowing Cappy, he has put Nino and all rookie "d" on the 4th line or bottom pairing.

The exceptions have been Nelson, Strome, Lee, CDH & Hammer.

I tend to think that the spots were filled with Vets the made it harder to avoid the bottom pairing.

I see:

JBoom - Leddy
Hammer - CDH
Pulock - Reinhardt

Strait/Carkner extras

I am drooling right now - 3 right handed shooting D with 3 Lefty shooting D.

Lee, JT, OK
Strome, Nelson, Garbo
Bailey, Nielsen, Kulemin/Grabs
Martin/Conacher, Cizikas, CC/McDonald

Bolton

Too much depth, not enough playing time.

I think Lee, Reinhardt & Pulock in BPT is/was a perfect thing to do.

I wish Nino was not such a *****. He would have looked good on the top line with the Islanders keeping their 2015 picks.

Oh well, past is past and I am enjoying the present and future.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

My Thoughts:

- It's been 2 games. Can't really evaluate a player on such a small sample size.

But knee jerk reactions is he needs his brain to get used to the speed of the game. I think the AHL will really really help him and after 3-4 months of playing 20 mins a night he'll push his way up into the top 6.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Better than I expected after preseason but still has the holes that needed filling before. Hat tip to Rise on Fire, the game is faster than he is at times. It isn't every play, but he is awfully reactive, not proactive and to play a competent defense spot you need to be out ahead of the play mentally. He's only got 1 official giveaway but I've counted several others that didn't have to be contestable pucks, but were. Physically he could play last year, but he still needs to use the size advantage he has more, as many have already stated. He is also making new-guy errors but that's going to happen until he plays with the team another few months and is par with where he is at. I still think he can be a full timer by the end of the year, but when Vis and deHaan come back he's going to the Bridge.

I'd take him over Strait though. I'm not sure who that speaks more about, him or Brian.

10-12-2014, 02:22 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post

Thoughts?
Okay WHO was expecting a top 4 defenceman in games one and two (besides maybe blinkman who is notoriously optimistic on all isles prospects but thats why i love him)? I mean that's crazy. That's really not fair for any 20 year old defenceman with 0 NHL experience.

I think Griffin has looked fine, and is being used properly. His minutes are sheltered and he sees some minutes on the PK. That's fine until the others get healthy. Griffin is going to be a special defenceman. You have to watch him to appreciate him (don't watch the puck). Look where he goes, look at his body position, how he plays his man, how he plays the lanes. He's at his best when you don't hear his name much. He has the ability to take the other teams best option right out of the game and deem that player irrelevant. I watched and witnessed it enough in juniors against anyone and everyone. Just have patience.... he's 20 years old. I think if Viz and de haan get healthy and none of the other top 4 dmen get hurt, it makes sense for Reinhart to spend some time in Bridgeport. But my opinion of him has not changed... not one bit. I'm not even disappointed, for his first two games he played about how I expected.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:27 PM
On Edge

First two games in NHL career looks good to me. Obviously smart and has everything you need physically. Game will slow down for him. Already far better than Strait, Carkner, Donovan, Ness.

How about I get back with you in 2 years?

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:48 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Okay WHO was expecting a top 4 defenceman in games one and two (besides maybe blinkman who is notoriously optimistic on all isles prospects but thats why i love him)? I mean that's crazy. That's really not fair for any 20 year old defenceman with 0 NHL experience.

I think Griffin has looked fine, and is being used properly. His minutes are sheltered and he sees some minutes on the PK. That's fine until the others get healthy. Griffin is going to be a special defenceman. You have to watch him to appreciate him (don't watch the puck). Look where he goes, look at his body position, how he plays his man, how he plays the lanes. He's at his best when you don't hear his name much. He has the ability to take the other teams best option right out of the game and deem that player irrelevant. I watched and witnessed it enough in juniors against anyone and everyone. Just have patience.... he's 20 years old. I think if Viz and de haan get healthy and none of the other top 4 dmen get hurt, it makes sense for Reinhart to spend some time in Bridgeport. But my opinion of him has not changed... not one bit. I'm not even disappointed, for his first two games he played about how I expected.
agree with this 100%, especially the bolded.

As with any new Islander, I tend to watch them very closely in their first few games especially. (been a lot harder this year with so many new ones and just two games thus far)

I was impressed with Hickey from the very beginning with his smarts and his compete level. He knows how to play the position, get himself between the goalie and the opposing forward, he learned how to not let his size impact his play and really learned how to make quick decisions, use his speed and decision making to get the puck out of danger. That was clear from the beginning and he's only improved with experience.

With Reinhart, it's the same thing but with a completely different player. The opposite of Hickey in size, much less quickness and mobility, doesn't play an intense/physical style (like Boychuk, Hamonic) but more of a calming style, gentle-giant which I'm sure the coaches will be on him more and more as he matures - NHL coaches love big dmen that play angry (like Eric Cairns used to do - google "Shayne Corson - Eric Cairns fight "

Reinhart's smarts in positioning and using his size to eliminate danger from the crease is as good as anyone's on the Isles. He's way ahead of where Hamonic was in his rookie year and when you look at the best young defensemen in the NHL, they all struggle with defensive positioning and dealing with the size, speed and skill of opposing forwards. Reinhart will get beat on occasion (he did once yesterday - think it was Tlusty or Lindholm that beat him wide - but didn't lead to a great scoring chance because he recovered quickly) just by the quickness and strength of NHL forwards but as he improves hi foot speed and lateral movements he's going to be a real force on defense. Pronger was a special player who was just as mean as he was gifted offensively, especially early in his career - Griff is no Pronger but defensively, he can be. Imagine Lidstrom's smarts with Pronger's size (okay - that's ridiculous as comparison so it's NOT a comparison of upside, just STYLE. I could just as easily said Ty Wishart's size with Thomas Hickey's smarts - )

At the end of Cappy's post-game yesterday (available on Isles TV) you can see his smile when he talks about Reinhart's play - you don't get that much from any NHL coach.

I do think he should spend some time in the AHL if Visnovsky and deHaan come back and the rest are healthy (knock on wood) because Reinhart has offensive upside still. Not a scorer, but he can really learn to carry the puck a bit, hone his passing and get adjusted to playing against men, battling down low. The AHL is the best place to learn to play pro hockey for defensemen. Though the game is slower and the players are less skilled, it's a huge step from playing in a 17-19yr old league.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 02:51 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Better than I expected after preseason but still has the holes that needed filling before. Hat tip to Rise on Fire, the game is faster than he is at times. It isn't every play, but he is awfully reactive, not proactive and to play a competent defense spot you need to be out ahead of the play mentally. He's only got 1 official giveaway but I've counted several others that didn't have to be contestable pucks, but were. Physically he could play last year, but he still needs to use the size advantage he has more, as many have already stated. He is also making new-guy errors but that's going to happen until he plays with the team another few months and is par with where he is at. I still think he can be a full timer by the end of the year, but when Vis and deHaan come back he's going to the Bridge.

I'd take him over Strait though. I'm not sure who that speaks more about, him or Brian.
Feel the same way. It would be interesting if CDH comes back first to see a potential CDH- Griff pairing with Strait sitting out. Have a positive feeling about most of the players with Strait being an exception. Unfortunately he's been brutal so far.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 03:23 PM
IslanderPride
Fire & Ice

I really wanted Reinhart to start in the AHL . Play at least 20 gms for the S.T. on first pairing D. Think this would of helped him adjust better

IslanderPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Cavonnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
agree with this 100%, especially the bolded.

As with any new Islander, I tend to watch them very closely in their first few games especially. (been a lot harder this year with so many new ones and just two games thus far)

I was impressed with Hickey from the very beginning with his smarts and his compete level. He knows how to play the position, get himself between the goalie and the opposing forward, he learned how to not let his size impact his play and really learned how to make quick decisions, use his speed and decision making to get the puck out of danger. That was clear from the beginning and he's only improved with experience.

With Reinhart, it's the same thing but with a completely different player. The opposite of Hickey in size, much less quickness and mobility, doesn't play an intense/physical style (like Boychuk, Hamonic) but more of a calming style, gentle-giant which I'm sure the coaches will be on him more and more as he matures - NHL coaches love big dmen that play angry (like Eric Cairns used to do - google "Shayne Corson - Eric Cairns fight "

Reinhart's smarts in positioning and using his size to eliminate danger from the crease is as good as anyone's on the Isles. He's way ahead of where Hamonic was in his rookie year and when you look at the best young defensemen in the NHL, they all struggle with defensive positioning and dealing with the size, speed and skill of opposing forwards. Reinhart will get beat on occasion (he did once yesterday - think it was Tlusty or Lindholm that beat him wide - but didn't lead to a great scoring chance because he recovered quickly) just by the quickness and strength of NHL forwards but as he improves hi foot speed and lateral movements he's going to be a real force on defense. Pronger was a special player who was just as mean as he was gifted offensively, especially early in his career - Griff is no Pronger but defensively, he can be. Imagine Lidstrom's smarts with Pronger's size (okay - that's ridiculous as comparison so it's NOT a comparison of upside, just STYLE. I could just as easily said Ty Wishart's size with Thomas Hickey's smarts - )

At the end of Cappy's post-game yesterday (available on Isles TV) you can see his smile when he talks about Reinhart's play - you don't get that much from any NHL coach.

I do think he should spend some time in the AHL if Visnovsky and deHaan come back and the rest are healthy (knock on wood) because Reinhart has offensive upside still. Not a scorer, but he can really learn to carry the puck a bit, hone his passing and get adjusted to playing against men, battling down low. The AHL is the best place to learn to play pro hockey for defensemen. Though the game is slower and the players are less skilled, it's a huge step from playing in a 17-19yr old league.
If we can ever be 100% healthy (umm, maybe?), I'd like to see these defensive pairings:

de Haan-Hamonic
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Visnovsky

Extra: Donovan. Bridgeport: Reinhart, Pulock. Waived: Strait, Carkner.

That'd allow us to ice three talented pairs of defensemen while giving Reinhart and Pulock extra time to develop. Pulock appears to be the heir apparent to Visnovsky. It's trickier gauging where Reinhart will slot in. I think it will depend on whether we re-sign Hickey (RFA) and/or Boychuk (UFA). Ideally, Reinhart takes Hickey's place and we can keep Hickey as the seventh defenseman because then we'll have seven guys we can count on, but maybe he'll get dangled as trade bait.

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 03:45 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavonnier View Post
If we can ever be 100% healthy (umm, maybe?), I'd like to see these defensive pairings:

de Haan-Hamonic
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Visnovsky

Extra: Donovan. Bridgeport: Reinhart, Pulock. Waived: Strait, Carkner.

That'd allow us to ice three talented pairs of defensemen while giving Reinhart and Pulock extra time to develop. Pulock appears to be the heir apparent to Visnovsky. It's trickier gauging where Reinhart will slot in. I think it will depend on whether we re-sign Hickey (RFA) and/or Boychuk (UFA). Ideally, Reinhart takes Hickey's place and we can keep Hickey as the seventh defenseman because then we'll have seven guys we can count on, but maybe he'll get dangled as trade bait.
I agree for the most part. I'm okay with keeping 8 defenceman (Strait) for now. Every time I see Strait play he looks worse and worse but I'd still keep him for depth purposes, I suppose.

I wouldn't dangle Hickey at all. Counting on de Haan to EVER play a full season is really asking for trouble. I'll believe he can do it when I see it a few times. He hasn't yet.

If you think about it 7 guys you can count on is often not enough. Injuries play a big role in the typical NHL season.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 04:06 PM
giddy up

It's Griffin

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
boredmale

I think his name sounds like something from a Harry Potter book

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 04:24 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
It's Griffin
I thought it looked really weird

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 05:33 PM
iLandHer

Thought he's been fine, very strong on the boards (it's been taking two forwards to get anywhere close to taking the puck from him on the wall), is in the right lanes, etc. I think his pairing with Strait hurts both of them. He isn't going to be bailing Strait out of mistakes and the same is true for Strait to Reinhart. Getting Strait off the PK would be a start, but I think splitting them up would work better for each of them...not sure it'd be better for the team. Once CdH comes back there will be more options.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Nyifan12

Not impressed at all. He looks lost/scared out there. He needs AHL seasoning. The NHL game is faster than he is used to and he certainly does not use his body (e.g. he does not hit/check)

Send him down once deHaan is back and leave him there until a major injury hits

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyifan12 View Post
Not impressed at all. He looks lost/scared out there. He needs AHL seasoning. The NHL game is faster than he is used to and he certainly does not use his body (e.g. he does not hit/check)

LOL 2 games and he looks scared?!?!? Id rather keep him up here and dump Strait. He has nothing to learn in the AHL, its the NHL or bust for him. Donovan had plenty of time in the AHL and it can never translate in the NHL.. These things happen. Donovan is a quadruple A player

You guys on this board are so ridiculous when it comes to the smothering of talent. No other NHL team would pair up Reinhart with a talentless hack like Strait.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 07:55 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:

Scared is far from what Reinhart his displayed. If anything I think the kid is playing safe there is a difference. In a perfect world Reinhart would have had all camp and pre season to learn from Boychuck. However, that was not the case and furthermore Strait is not the best partner there is. Let alone for a rookie whom is only two games into his young career.

I fore one agree, Reinhart would benefit from some time in the minors where I am almost 100% positive the kid will shut down other teams. Thus, in turn helping to build his confidence

However, to assume that would absolutely eliminate mistakes once back at the NHL level all together is very far fetched. Time in the minors doesn't always mean what some fans assume it does.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 08:00 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post

I'm sure there were people expecting this (like they did with Donovan), but most of us knew it was highly unlikely. I agree with everything you said. He's played to my expectations as well. Nothing glaringly bad about his play, just the obvious inexperience at the NHL level doing what it does to a 20 year old defenseman.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Jeez, the guy is a rookie adjusting. Can we give him 5-10 games before we make any determinations as to where he should go?

Let me guess you were all perfect first day at your job?

10-12-2014, 11:17 PM
On Edge

Quote:

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Marco Pagnani
Stalking

i thought pulock outplayed him in camp. i expect him to be in the ahl when de haan and vis come back

Marco Pagnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 11:26 PM
danteipp

Give GR a real defensive partner, any one of CdH, Vis or Hickey, and he will be fine and form a solid third pairing. Strait is simply horrific and should go as soon as the first of CdH or Vis returns. Let Donovan be the 7th depth defenseman and Carkner can be kept around for emergency muscle if need be. I used to think that some team might take a shot on Strait if he is waived and put in a claim, however, now I am thinking he makes it to Bridgeport, which would be OK for organizational depth purposes while the kids mature more.

danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 11:40 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Give GR a real defensive partner, any one of CdH, Vis or Hickey, and he will be fine and form a solid third pairing. Strait is simply horrific and should go as soon as the first of CdH or Vis returns. Let Donovan be the 7th depth defenseman and Carkner can be kept around for emergency muscle if need be. I used to think that some team might take a shot on Strait if he is waived and put in a claim, however, now I am thinking he makes it to Bridgeport, which would be OK for organizational depth purposes while the kids mature more.
Strait should be waived/scratched as soon as we have the 6 players that are clearly better than him all healthy (Boychuk, Hamonic, de Haan, Leddy, Vis, Hickey). Strait is probably 9th on this depth chart, but 7th because of Pulock and Reinhart's status. Carkner is basically 10th for me.

Carkner and Strait should never play at the same time unless we have at least FOUR hurt defensemen simultaneously. I'd prefer scratching one of them and playing one of Reinhart and Pulock. By the end of the year, I expect the full transition if we were that injured.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 07:49 AM
danteipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Strait should be waived/scratched as soon as we have the 6 players that are clearly better than him all healthy (Boychuk, Hamonic, de Haan, Leddy, Vis, Hickey). Strait is probably 9th on this depth chart, but 7th because of Pulock and Reinhart's status. Carkner is basically 10th for me.

Carkner and Strait should never play at the same time unless we have at least FOUR hurt defensemen simultaneously. I'd prefer scratching one of them and playing one of Reinhart and Pulock. By the end of the year, I expect the full transition if we were that injured.
Having depth defensively, assuming everyone can get healthy at the same time for an extended period, is a nice problem to have. The first season Strait came over, I thought he looked OK and might be able to serve as a bottom-pairing defenseman, however, he has regressed significantly since hurting his ankle. At first I though it might be rust or lingering injury issues but now it looks like that is simply who he is as a player and he is not the player who looked OK early in 2012-13.

danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote