HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN Predicts the Rangers will underachieve

Old
08-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Turambar

vCash: 500
THN Predicts the Rangers will underachieve

Quote:
I didnít like much of what the Rangers did this off-season and I couldnít figure out why a team that was so close to being a legitimate conference champion contender would re-shape its image.

It goes back to that old, simple saying; ďif it ainít broke, donít fix it.Ē
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...e-in-2009.html

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It goes back to that old, simple saying; ďif it ainít broke, donít fix it.Ē
It wasn't broke. But was breaking. Someone pulled the engine apart and took the most important one-of-a-kind part to Russia. So instead of remanufacturing parts, they got new ones.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
PromNite
Dragon Ninja

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Anyone who didn't pay meticulously close attention to the Rangers last year is not going to realize that a changing of the old guard was needed.

We may be worse in the standings this year because of it, but an aging Jagr, Shanahan, and Straka were not going to bring us a Cup in this lifetime.

Most people will look at the stat sheet and see that we are minus Jagr, Straka, and Shanny and say we are now soft and will be a worse team... and they may be right, but it was a move that needed to happen and makes us better in near future when we can possibly contend for a Cup.

I wish we could have kept Jagr for another year or two, I was the guy's biggest supporter... but I simply cannot be mad at Sather for letting him go, it was the right move... if not a year or so early. I'll miss Avery too, but he was not making us better in the playoffs either, and 4 years was too long.

Adam Tensta's from the 163

Last edited by PromNite: 08-14-2008 at 09:03 PM.
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

THN = steaming pile of poo.

that is my thoughts on that magazine, it really went downhill once it switched it format from Newspaper type to Magazine.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Barnaby

A change was needed... to some extent...

I do think they will under-achieve...

Jagr, Avery, Straka, Shanny, Tyutin, Backman.. OUT

Zherdev, Naslund, Voros, Redden, Kalinin... IN

The defense will be marginally better... The offense will not be... to me the Rangers could easily be a 7-8 seed that gets bounced out in the first round...

The Rangers are clearly one very legit top-6 winger away from being a team with a chance to make a run. They just don't have the scoring to keep up with Pitt MTL.. etc..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It wasn't broke. But was breaking. Someone pulled the engine apart and took the most important one-of-a-kind part to Russia. So instead of remanufacturing parts, they got new ones.
Good way to put it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

also i dont get how they will "underachieve" if no one has any idea how they will do. doesnt make sense.

Old
08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
THN = steaming pile of poo.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Awesome, last season the Rangers were predicted to be contenders and didn't go anywhere. When the Rangers were projected to finish last, they got in the playoffs.

I like the Rangers coming into the season with 'professionals' predicted a horrible showing.

I think this Rangers team all in all will be much more team play oriented, rather than maestro Jagr orientated, and at the very least the PP will come alive.

Not that I love Jagr going, but it's a fact, and you move on.

I'm excited for this season. I seriously see Prucha with a resurgence.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
segmentation fault

I dont get why everyone is putting so much of an emphasis on Jagr Shanahan and Straka leaving. Its not like they had that big of an impact last year.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
I dont get why everyone is putting so much of an emphasis on Jagr Shanahan and Straka leaving. Its not like they had that big of an impact last year.
Our highest Scorer, our True Leader who scored 3rd most goals, and our first line Left Wing all leave, and they didnt have an impact?

Old
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
Yeah, Jagr didn't have much of an impact last year. Geez.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Davisian

I thank Jagr, Straka and Shanahan and even Avery for their time and appreciate their efforts, but one more year of them would have resulted in an even worse showing and delayed the needed changes yet another year.

The team on paper as it is now is deeper, faster and younger than they're been at any time since Sather was put in charge.

Predictions don't mean ****, but nostalgia means even less.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Awesome, last season the Rangers were predicted to be contenders and didn't go anywhere. When the Rangers were projected to finish last, they got in the playoffs.

I like the Rangers coming into the season with 'professionals' predicted a horrible showing.
good point... I like the fact that there are no big expectations for them this year.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Harrison Ford

THN blows. I put them up there with Ecklund in terms of taking them seriously.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Ha. Fans with this viewpoint will be in for a rude awakening this season. Nevermind that a declining Jagr still led the team in points, but the trickle down effect his presence had to the lineup isnt even measurable. The guy shouldered the oppositions top defensemen for 20 minutes a night each and every night.

The punishment he took is now going to find its way to guys like Zherdev, Naslund, and Gomez.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
I thank Jagr, Straka and Shanahan and even Avery for their time and appreciate their efforts, but one more year of them would have resulted in an even worse showing and delayed the needed changes yet another year.

The team on paper as it is now is deeper, faster and younger than they're been at any time since Sather was put in charge.

The Voice of Reason

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post

Simple:

1) They weren't going to get better.

2) Those asked to carry the offense were on the downside of their careers.

3) They saw teams in the East get much better.

I can't see how anyone could project the Rangers to underachieve when I don't think anyone could begin to have expectations for this team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I agree to a certain extent. Bringing them all back would have been a bad idea.

The one that hurts most is Jagr. His departure is the only one I really look at and say this team is worse without him. Even at his advanced age, we now have noone near as dominant as he can still be.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
squishy

Quote:
Maybe, but it's also less skilled than it has been in each of the past two years. Depth, speed and youth only get you so far if they don't also have the skill to put the puck in the net. Whether the kids are going to be able to step up and shoulder the burden is a big unknown. As is whether or not Naslund and Redden will be able to rediscover themselves or whether Zherdev will be intimidated by the bright lights of the big city or embrace them.

I think the author assumes most people in the general public expect the Rangers to be at least equal to what they did last year. Given that, I don't think he's wrong to suggest they could underachieve.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The only spot on part of the article is when they stated the Rangers will have to win big games in April to make the playoffs.

But if THN thinks the Rangers are a worse team than they were a year ago, they are dead wrong.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
nexusrage21

Ok here's how I see it:

The guys we lost were huge losses, which were not replaced by incoming personnel. However, it has been very clear that those players were either on the decline (Jagr, Straka, SHANAHAN) or potential time bombs (Avery-- I'm not sold on him as a locker room cancer either, in fact I think he would still help this team).

For the last three years this has been a very Jagr-centric team, but over the last two years, especially last year, the club has been moving away from players who play in the Jagr style.

I think that with the current roster you will see more from some players. ( I think Rosival will be a much better power play guy without Jagr on the ice, because it always seemed like no matter what was available he would look to get the puck to Jaromir) At the same time some players will disappoint (Dubinsky isn't going to be getting the same room to operate), but the overall team will be better.

This will be a better regular season team. They won't lose "ordinary" games like they have a tendency to do. The problem will be that I don't think there is anyone on this team who has established themselves as a big game player. I know Drury has that clutch rep, but he's more of a 1 big play at the right time guy, he isn't a guy who will take over a game and win it. That is what is missing from this team to make it a true contender. Jaromir Jagr was that guy, and I feel that he will be missed greatly come playoff time.

I also think that Sean Avery would have been a help to this team for two reasons. 1. - He draws attention, specifically physical attention from other teams. 2. He has enough hockey ability to be a consistent contributer. That said, he may have cost too much.

As far as the players brought the big three (Naslund, Redden, Zherdev) are all going to be contributers. I know many people have low expectations for Naslund and Redden, but they will do what they were brought in to do. Do they replace the guys we lost? No, but that is why it is important that we see a change in team dynamic.

Expect a team more like the Sabres team we faced in the playoffs then the team we iced against them stylewise. I don't think that it is a great style for the playoffs but it will make the Rangers a better regular season team.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure what is so hard to grasp about what they are doing.

This is a transition year.

Next year's roster is going to be far more talented then this upcoming season's roster, and more talented then last year's.

It really boggles my mind how these so called experts just don't get it.

Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, Anisimov that right there is only PART of what will be added to the team in 2009-2010.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Fletch

THN does suck, but at the same time any analyst in their right mind would question such a big overhaul of a team. Other teams added to what they had/kept what they had, and the Rangers got rid of three of their top five point getters. Of course the rebuttal to that is they were replaced by two guys who would've led/been up with the leaders, if the numbers they put up were put up as a Ranger last season. That's fine, and maybe it all works out, but still, three of the top five point-getters departing is not typically a good sign for the coming season.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
I think this Rangers team all in all will be much more team play oriented, rather than maestro Jagr orientated, and at the very least the PP will come alive.
I seriously see Prucha with a resurgence.
He gave NY three fantastic seasons, and helped the Rangers come back to life. At this point though he held us back too, and for the team to move forward he needed to go.

I hope your right about Prucha.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote